The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WEEKEND REVIEW!

+7
samevans1
oxring
J.Benson II
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
HumanWindmill
coxy0001
11 posters

Go down

WEEKEND REVIEW! Empty WEEKEND REVIEW!

Post by coxy0001 Sun 03 Apr 2011, 8:46 am

Apologies for a masssive lack of in depth jibbering, struggling to type as i tried to chop off my finger last night

So, Segura - Not a hype job! Finished Calderon inside 3. What sounds particularly good is that he apparently walks around miles above his fighting weight, which opens up some cracking fights at bantam and above. Apparently Roman Gonzalez is next on the list, which'd make for a fun fight between 2 non-boxer war fighters.

And Helenius knocked Peter cold as well, KO link below. Appears to carry decent power he's a big lump as well, just a shame he's not American eh?! As he'd be the next big thing etc. Pretty brutal knockout even if it didn't look the biggest of punches, quite why he was given a partial count is beyond me.

http://ringtv.craveonline.com/blog/163799-helenius-kos-peter-huck-outpoints-nakash

Who next for both fighters? Be fun to see Helenius fight Arreola and i'm more than happy about the Segura v Gonzalez fight being made. Even if it does mean him having to boil down to 108 again

Thoughts?

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

WEEKEND REVIEW! Empty Re: WEEKEND REVIEW!

Post by HumanWindmill Sun 03 Apr 2011, 9:07 am

Morning, coxy.

I won't even ask what misadventures occasioned the near loss of your finger.

I watched the Hellenius v Peter fight and was hugely disappointed. Hellenius seems to me to have sound technique and reasonable movement, but he doesn't seem to have much physical presence, and the one - twos upon which he relies seem to be, for the most part, ' arm ' punches. Peter started brightly, employing excellent upper body movement and handspeed, and was able to walk right through Hellenius and land some meaty shots. It seemed only a matter of time before Peter would knock him out.

Suddenly, Peter stopped working. Whether or not he was gassed, ( he stood between rounds, ) I'm not sure, but whatever the reason, he began to fight as he had against Vitali - plodding forward in straight lines and looking for one shot. Hellenius started to look the better of the two and when he caught Peter with that combo, culminating in a sweetly timed left hook, Peter went down as though he had been shot. Odd, because although it WAS beautifully timed, and right on the button, Hellenius had exhibited no signs of having genuine power.

Very disappointing.

Also saw the Marco Huck fight, which I thought was plain awful. Haven't seen much of Huck before - just a fight or two - and haven't taken much notice, but last night I watched very carefully, and I came to the conclusion that he's one of the poorest champions I've seen in recent times. Nice right uppercut / hook to the body, with which he teed off for a pastime, often leading with it ( ! ) but that apart he seemed distinctly average.

All in all, not one of the more exciting nights spent watching boxing.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 03 Apr 2011, 10:05 am

Poor night of boxing Calderon is past his best but Segura done well to get him out in 3. Didn't think much of Hellenius and never have thought much of Peter. Never seen Huck fight but have watched him before he is not worth watching. John Murray looked a bit off the pace and made an average fighter look better than he was. Was impressed with Billy Jo Saunders but that was a real mis-match.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Sun 03 Apr 2011, 10:19 am

Morning Windy

Using my nice new set of expensive sharp knives wasn't a good idea at midnight when i couldn't see the end of my nose!

And i wasn't hugely impressed by Helenius, only made the point he appears to have half decent power. Is a static target though but would fancy seeing him in with someone like Arreola or Adamek to see where he's at.

And i couldn't even be bothered to mention the Huck fight, embodies everything that is poor about the CW division.

And morning prettyboy

Think it's time for Calderon to hang'em up. Saying that, Segura could well be just all wrong for him. Don't see the point of him going on, was the king for years and it'd be sad to see him lose to someone that wouldn't have got near him until his recent (and apparent) decline.

Murray looked a bit disinterested, but got the job done against a solid euro fighter.

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 03 Apr 2011, 10:33 am

Morning Coxy Murray looked poor imo but I really like him and think he is a world champion in the making. Would put his performance down to inactivity a bit of ring rust. Ouazghari is ranked just inside the top 20 in Europe Murray should have dealt with him a bit better.
Think the last Segura fight took it out of Calderon this one was just a payday. Hopefully he will hang up his gloves is one of my favourite fighters of the last decade.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sun 03 Apr 2011, 10:50 am

I really don't rate murray that highly compare to how most rate him. I can never see him being world class. Not just last nights fight, but he gets hits far too cleanly. He has alot of heart, good chin, high workload, physical strength and decent power. But, he's too slow, poor footwork, poor head movement, no plan B. The guy he fought had very poor footwork and hurt Murray despite not being very strong or a heavy hitter.

He wants a world title fight, ad ATM the lightweight champions and fringe contenders are all very good. Marquez would figure him out and exploit were his opponent didn't have the skill to last night. Rios would take him apart as he is stronger than Murray, is quickera and his left hook would really cause Murray trouble. Vasquez and guerrero wouldn't let him close enough. Katsidis would probably KO him quickly.

He needs to close his opponets quicker. He's good when he gets them on the ropes but the guy yesterday got off the ropes far too easily.

He should go for rees next, getting him ready for mitchell. Mithchell would be a real test but I think Kevin is a good enough a technician to beat John. I doubt Mitchell will take the fight without a tune up or two. Crolla would be a very good opponets as he is similar to his stablemate Murray, it would also give Kevin a psychological advantage.

Billy Joe saunders also gave us a reason to remember why he was the most talked about of the 3 Olympians. All three of them have the same southpaw stance and fight very similar. You can actually say that they are the clone of each other in different weight classes. Of the three, billy seems to be the most aggresive, and at 21 ge is a few years younger. Should be getting British title shot soon and would be interesting to see him vs smith, who was beaten by degale, who is coming down to middleweight.

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 03 Apr 2011, 10:55 am

Don't think Murray wants to fight at domestic level anymore he's done that if the Mitchell fight could happen that should be the only domestic dust up he should be interested in. Can't see it happening but would love to see him take on Brandon Rios both very agressive and easy to hit and both pack real punching power.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 03 Apr 2011, 11:11 am

Murray's problem is being able to get motivated. Too often he's been marking time and whilst he's putting the effort in the gym, he's thinking, "Here we go again, another nothing fight for me..ho hum!"

The problem is that once that level of disinterest starts manifesting in his in-ring performance, it's hard for a promotor to sell his charge (especially in the case of Hennessey). At least Warren will be able to get Murray some decent fights although it seems clear at the moment that the fight with Kevin Mitchell is very much on the cards.

If Warren can guarantee the winner of THAT a shot at a genuine World title (no WBO/WBU nonsense) then I'm sure we'll see a much better performance from Murray.

Made it much harder for himself than he needed to and seemed to lack the ability to draw his man into a scrap where he definitely excels

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 03 Apr 2011, 11:39 am

Mitchell hasn't fought for nearly a year and in his last outing was beat by Katsidis in 3. He is no longer ranked top 10 as much as I would like to see this fight happening Mitchell doesn't deserve to be in a world title eliminator. Think this fight right now isn't right for Murray a bit of a sideways step.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Benson II Sun 03 Apr 2011, 12:21 pm

Peter should probably retire now. He's not going to get another title shot and would just become a gatekeeper for HW prospects.
He's usually been considered as being one of the most durable HW's around, so it was quite a shock to see him knocked out by Helenius (who isnt that great a puncher).
It appears that Peter's punch resistance has gone. The beatdown he took from Wlad in their second fight was very severe and unnessecary.
It was always unlikely that he would recover from such a brutal loss.
Helenius is fairly decent and this is a good win for him. A KO win against Peter looks good on his record and will be a real confidence booster.
However, I don't see any real quality with the Fin and I feel other contenders such as Arreola, Boystov, Adamek and Chambers would beat him. I would also give Chisora the edge if they ever fight.
Interestingly, this is the second consecutive week in which a former HW title contender was knocked out cold. Last Saturday, Albert Sosnowski was KO'd by Sacha Dimtrenko.

Marco Huck is a poor champ. He shouldnt even be a champ as he was beaten quite convincingly by Denis Lebedev a few months back but got a gift decision. Hopefully Lebedev will get a chance for revenge.
With exciting powerhouses such as Frenkal and Lateef Kayode on the horizon, the CW division should pick up in the next few years.

John Murray didnt look particuarly impressive yesterday. He had been out of the ring for over half a year so perhaps we should give him the benefit of the doubt. However, I've always just seen him as a rugged but limited, Euro-level slugger. Didnt see anything from him last night that changed my opinion.
A fight with Mitchell would still be an exciting, domestic scrap though.

J.Benson II

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Sun 03 Apr 2011, 1:23 pm

Afternoon lads.

Huck is a decent enough boxer - but he isn't a world champion. Lebedev beat him from pillar to post - with one of the most comprehensive demolitions I have ssen in recent times - and yet Huck took the decision. Unsurprisingly, the fight was in Germany. Also unsurprisingly - there has been no word of a rematch - as on neutral ground, Lebedev beats him soundly.

I was quite impressed with Helenius for a couple of reasons.

Helenius has some severe limitations - his jab has no snap, he's stiff and upright and his punches don't seem to have power.

HOWEVER - in his defence:

10 KOs in 15 fights tells that he carries some power. Many of Monzon's punches look like arm punches. Yet you see him knocking people sprawling.

Furthermore - he seldom gets hit flush. I only saw the later rounds of the Peter fight, but commenting on his back catalogue, ie Brewster, Attila Levin and Gammer - he dances off punches pretty well - for a big man he is ver mobile.

He is also reasonably adept at slipping punches. The most immediate example is the Peter fight, where he slipped2 of Peter's shots to land the left hook which finished the fight. Admittedly, it is easier to slip shots when you've almost kayoed your opponent - BUT - he does carry that ability throughout the fight.

As coxy said - shame he isn't American really - he'd be a mega-star by now. Some of the names on his resume are not bad for a 15 fight novice - Peter, Brewster, Levin (wins over Austin and Purrity), Gammer - he's mixed it with some good company.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Sun 03 Apr 2011, 1:27 pm

oxring wrote:
10 KOs in 15 fights tells that he carries some power. Many of Monzon's punches look like arm punches. Yet you see him knocking people sprawling.

Great point, oxy.

I hadn't looked at it that way, and I believe you are right on the money. Peter was certainly removed from his senses and Helenius also has the kayo of Brewster behind him.

I stand corrected, mate.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by samevans1 Sun 03 Apr 2011, 2:14 pm

Meh. Not sold on Helenius. I think he is too easy to hit and doesn't do anything well enough to ever be a serious title contender.

samevans1

Back to top Go down

Post by ArchBritishchris Sun 03 Apr 2011, 5:01 pm

Peter is a bit past it these days, hasn't won any significant fights for a long time. Never particularly rated him anyway, symptomatc of many of the modern out of shape heavies. Can see Peter continuing to pick up defeats against contenders, should hang up the gloves.

On the subject of title holders who should have lost, Wlordarcyzk was awarded a contoversial SD in his home nation of Poland last night. Not long ago he drew against an ageing Fragomeni and the decision could easily have gone to the other fighter. Its a shame that a 6-5-1 or well earned MD is of the cards. You pretty much have to knock the fighter out or at least down a couple of times.

Its a toughish line up for Murray at LW, a match up against Vasquez or Soto wouldn't be to bad. The fight last night was never going to be a classic, just an opportunity to shake of some ring rust. He needs to take on one or maybe two decent contenders, to confirm his spot at the top of the rankings. Marquez or Gurrero are tough options.

ArchBritishchris

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Sun 03 Apr 2011, 5:19 pm

Helenius is one to watch but as has been stated, not outstanding in one particular area. He just seems to have decent punch power and as stated previously is pretty mobile for a big guy and adept at slipping punches. I also would like to see him fight Dimitrenko who I believe has learnt well from his defeat to Chambers. It'll be interesting to see how Helenius copes with someone bigger than him.

I have no time for Huck. He was battered by Lebedev and was KO'd by Cunningham who I have equal disdain for! He's turning into another Ottke or Michalzewski by staying at home all the time. Make him fight Lebedev or another contender elsewhere and we'll see how good he is....

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by samevans1 Sun 03 Apr 2011, 5:36 pm

Huck is a bum, to be honest. Lebedev was utterly jobbed in that fight and he will be stuffed by the next decent fighter he faces.

samevans1

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Sun 03 Apr 2011, 7:55 pm

Calderon vs Segura should have seen coming that early tbh. As I said, just has his number. Once Calderon's feet movement slowed (about a round earlier than the last fight) it was a matter of time and he couldn't cope to the body.

Murray was poor, have never seen it in him (for world level). Punchers style without the punch and also seemed to mark up a lot. Sky shouldn't have let Mitchell go on about fighting him without questioning him about the offer he turned down...

Saunders look pretty decent, composed, decent punch and variety. Needs to keep busy now and forget fights to make him look good.

Have downloaded Peter vs Helenius, about to watch it. FFS, German commentary.

Anyone got streams for Huck/Wlord? Don't wanna download.

Last edited by Scottrf on Sun 03 Apr 2011, 8:09 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Thought we won the war.)

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 03 Apr 2011, 8:00 pm

Ditto I've never had anything but the highest regard for Murray's talent but for god sake get him a title shot now before he gets anymore fights like this one...

Always thought Calderon was overrated and just because a guy walks around way over his fighting weight it doesn't really mean all that much..

Duran used to walk around at 190....and so did Matt Hilton..

Fact is the more weight you have to lose, the more you drain yourself and the quicker the well becomes dry... ending up shortening your career....

Not sure it's a positive..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 06 Apr 2011, 9:46 am

Noticed Capetillo (Margarito handwraps) was working Segura's corner...Margarito there too...

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed 06 Apr 2011, 11:32 am

I seen that as well was sure Margarito blamed him for the wraps and said they don't speak anymore.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down