The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ABSOLUTE JOKE OF BOXING - IRISH MIDDLEWEIGHT PRIZE FIGHTER ON SKY SPORTS 1!!!

+3
Strongback
manos de piedra
laursok
7 posters

Go down

ABSOLUTE JOKE OF BOXING - IRISH MIDDLEWEIGHT PRIZE FIGHTER ON SKY SPORTS 1!!! Empty ABSOLUTE JOKE OF BOXING - IRISH MIDDLEWEIGHT PRIZE FIGHTER ON SKY SPORTS 1!!!

Post by laursok Sun 06 May 2012, 12:13 am

Just put in this email to SKY SPORTS 1!!!!!! O'KANE V JJ MC DONAGH FINAL IRISH MIDDLEWEIGHT PRIZE FIGHTER!!!!

I have just been watching Irish Middleweight Prizefighter on Sky Sports 1 HD tonight. I just have to seriously complain on how ridiculous this whole set up was. Come on, I mean from the start it was a complete fix. The SO-CALLED 30year old Eamon O'Kane won the competition, but so would have a 2year old with the complete blatant set up that was an absolute joke from the promoter to the referee in the final against JJ McDonagh!!!! O'Kane was from his first fight going in charging with his head in each of the 3 fights he fought and creating 2 bad cuts in the first two fights with his HEAD not his punches!!! He was at NO STAGE deducted any points for this carry on especially in the third fight against JJ McDonagh, whereas McDonagh was lectured to by the ref on more than one occasion for really silly minor stuff where the O'Kane fella was blatantly fouling and should have defiantly had a point deducted!!! I watched this with a group of 24 family and friends as we were looking forward to a good night of entertainment from Sky Sports, especially with all the build up to the Coto V Mayweather fight. I have to say everyone in the room was disgusted with the Irish Middleweight Prizefighter showdown, and honestly we all thought it was an absolute JOKE of a competition!!!!

I would appreciate a decent response to this email, as I have gone back to Sky Sports for some decent honest Boxing after experiencing similar silly, set-up fights and ridiculous carry on from FRANK WARRENS boxing company. Myself, family and friends would hope Sky is not going down that road!!!!

Talk about making a mockery of IRISH BOXING!!!!! furious furious

laursok

Back to top Go down

ABSOLUTE JOKE OF BOXING - IRISH MIDDLEWEIGHT PRIZE FIGHTER ON SKY SPORTS 1!!! Empty Re: ABSOLUTE JOKE OF BOXING - IRISH MIDDLEWEIGHT PRIZE FIGHTER ON SKY SPORTS 1!!!

Post by manos de piedra Sun 06 May 2012, 2:08 am

I more or less agree. I dont always watch prizefighter so not in a position to give an informed opinion but that was possibly the ugliest couple of hours "boxing" I have ever seen.

There only appeared to be one actual "boxer" in (JJ McDonagh). The rest was just crude brawling which reminded me of thoseold toughman contests.

I thought O'Kane was a major disappointment. He was actually supposed to be a good boxer with decent pedigree. He made Matt Skelton look like an aristocrat in the ring. Unfortuantely it seemed he was predesignated to win thanks to the woefully incompetant (surprise surprise) Terry O'Connor. I cant understand how rhino charging into an opponent and trying to wrestle them to the ground constitutes boxing and how O'Connor could possibly have construed McDonagh as being the infractor. He was actually the only guy in the competition that looked like an actual boxer. Felt sorry for him in them end given how shafted he got in the final and I actually think with a proper ref he would have probably beaten O'Kane.

You dont expect prizefighter to be showcasing top quality boxing skill and technique but of all the ones I have seen, that looked to be barely a step up from street brawling. You can normally count on mssrs Dave Paris, Terry O'Connor and Ian John Lewis making at least one clanger also.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

ABSOLUTE JOKE OF BOXING - IRISH MIDDLEWEIGHT PRIZE FIGHTER ON SKY SPORTS 1!!! Empty Re: ABSOLUTE JOKE OF BOXING - IRISH MIDDLEWEIGHT PRIZE FIGHTER ON SKY SPORTS 1!!!

Post by Strongback Sun 06 May 2012, 10:13 pm

I watched Huck v Ola but the snipits of Prizefighter I saw looked horrific. It really did look like a street brawl after the pubs had closed.

As a format Prizefight was never my cup of tea but it does seems to be on it's last legs.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Sun 06 May 2012, 11:00 pm

Was majorly disappointed in O'Kane. I also developed a real dislike of him. He basically fouled his way to the win in that and his opponents were given no protection from the ref. I had heard O'Kane was supposed to be very talented. Amateur wins over the likes of Groves, Andy Lee, Dirrell etc so was expecting the class to show against what looked initially like a collection of journeyman standard fighters (McDonagh looked above that though). But his tactic was just to head charge his opponents, tie him up and then start looking at the ref to complain. He cut his first two opponents with headbutts doing this and then basically the ref completely shafted the McDonagh in the final. I got the impression that the whole tournament was little more than a vehicle to propel O'Kane up a few notches in the boxing world. But he certainly didnt impress me.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Mon 07 May 2012, 2:18 am

Just watched the O'Kane fights myself. That final was rediculous the crowd reacting to every low blow and headbutt! He was dishing out the rough stuff and the moment he takes a low blow he's on the floor crying.

Hope they stick him in with a decent boxer soon, just so he gets a lesson

What an unlikeable horrible "brawler". Maybe if he fought over 12 rounds it would be different but his blatant headbutts were disgusting. First impressions are not good.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by irishbrads Mon 07 May 2012, 6:34 am

Guys,

wouldn't bee too hard on O'kane, granted the Irish Prizefighter was very scrappy and O'kane was as bad as the rest (if not worse at times) BUT remember the Prizefighter lends itself to this type of brawling due the need for a fast start which usually means fighters comes up with all guns blazing. The standard was very poor, ciaran Healy even made an appearance after his last cruiserweight outing, on a side note thats 3 weight divisions he dropped which makes me question what he was doing in with Enzo!!!

Anyway, O'kane has a very good amateur background and you generally don't win medals in the amatuers by being a brawler, he beat George Groves in georges last amateur bout and was brought in recently as sparring for george Groves in preparation for his last two fights.

Ive seen O'kane many times as an amateur and although he's no sweet pea or mayweather in his style he has a solid boxing style backed up with fantastic conditioning, he is what is known as a gym rat and never drank or smoked!!

I would put o'kanes performance in Prizefighter down to the fact that he pushed or rushed the action and was brought down to an extent by the level of opposition, we've seen the likes of Hatton & calzaghe complain in post fight interviews of being brought down to the level of his poor opponent, also how many prizefights have been won by pure boxing??

irishbrads

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 07 May 2012, 10:40 am

Oh dear there were no great boxers on prizefighter this time!!!

Unlike the Sugar ray Leonard's of previous shows!! Doh

I enjoyed it maybe because... I like the blueprint.....

Novices and down-on-their luck fighters being given a chance to either get a foot on the ladder or redeem failing careers.....

Some good quality brawling as well especially the first fight of the night...

Sure it's not for the purist..

Go and watch Whittaker v Nelson or Nunn-Starling if you like....

But for me a pleasant change and good to see Irish fighters getting a chance to shiowcase their stuff..........

I like being entertained and I like the show......

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Mon 07 May 2012, 12:46 pm

irishbrads wrote:Guys,

wouldn't bee too hard on O'kane, granted the Irish Prizefighter was very scrappy and O'kane was as bad as the rest (if not worse at times) BUT remember the Prizefighter lends itself to this type of brawling due the need for a fast start which usually means fighters comes up with all guns blazing. The standard was very poor, ciaran Healy even made an appearance after his last cruiserweight outing, on a side note thats 3 weight divisions he dropped which makes me question what he was doing in with Enzo!!!

Anyway, O'kane has a very good amateur background and you generally don't win medals in the amatuers by being a brawler, he beat George Groves in georges last amateur bout and was brought in recently as sparring for george Groves in preparation for his last two fights.

Ive seen O'kane many times as an amateur and although he's no sweet pea or mayweather in his style he has a solid boxing style backed up with fantastic conditioning, he is what is known as a gym rat and never drank or smoked!!

I would put o'kanes performance in Prizefighter down to the fact that he pushed or rushed the action and was brought down to an extent by the level of opposition, we've seen the likes of Hatton & calzaghe complain in post fight interviews of being brought down to the level of his poor opponent, also how many prizefights have been won by pure boxing??

O Kane was the one turning everything into a street brawl and conning the ref at every opportunity. It was a very cynical performance. Just saying it would have been nice to see some actual boxing from him, or even a ref that would pick him up for constanst headbutting and holding.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Tue 08 May 2012, 10:54 pm

o'kane said he changed his style to win the 3 round format, so cant really be too harsh. the other guy jj mcdonagh should have pushed the pace, he was too lazy in the last fight despite been the best boxer there.

plus there was decent fight after with mccloskey. i went to watch the heavyweight prizefigther in london when perez won and we only got to guys making the pro debuts. i was a great night too.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down