The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What An Absolute Joke It Is That....

+7
mobilemaster8
hampo17
ONETWOFOREVER
Hammersmith harrier
Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake
88Chris05
AlexHuckerby
11 posters

Go down

What An Absolute Joke It Is That.... Empty What An Absolute Joke It Is That....

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon 13 Jan 2014, 8:12 pm

Lamont Peterson holds a world title.

Simply just a joke.

The guy gets the win against Khan on what I have to say in my view was a pretty dodgy decision, and then is founded to be a drugs cheat immediately after. Then he's allowed to keep his world title and is inactive for ages, comes back and beats Holt, then gets mullered by Matthysse in 3 rounds and he still holds a world title.

A genuine farce, if you want to devalue world titles even more just put a belt around me, I'm unbeaten, honest.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

What An Absolute Joke It Is That.... Empty Re: What An Absolute Joke It Is That....

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 13 Jan 2014, 9:06 pm

Of all the world titles around these days, Peterson's IBF Light-Welterweight one might just be the biggest joke of them all, which is really saying something.

Fair enough, you can't blame Peterson for the crooked system in place. He knows deep down in his heart that him being able to call himself a world champion is damaging to boxing's credibility, I'm sure. But anyone in his position would do the same, happy to show off that shiny belt (thus guaranteeing himself much better earning power, even if it's undeserved).

Thing is, even if we take out all the equivocation such as "You can't blame him for the way boxing politics work these days", or "there are plenty of other undeserving title holders in boxing history" etc, we're still left with one simple, irrefutable fact as far as I'm concerned - Peterson just isn't that much kop as a fighter in any case, and would be a lucky, lucky boy to ever have his hands on a recognised belt even if he hadn't blackened his name with his failed drugs test.

He didn't deserve the draw he was given against Ortiz, was (for me, anyway) incredibly lucky to be given anything more than a share of the honours when he fought Khan even with the two point deductions (personally I just can't see a way to score if in his favour) was shut out by Bradley in a fight which showed the difference between a true championship level performer and a second-rater, and then gets obliterated by another divisional rival, which just underlines the fact that Peterson simply ain't up to it at world level.

Even without the controversy over PEDs, the hat man and unusual point deductions going in his favour, I'd still have to wonder how this man still gets talked up (less so now, admittedly) as a genuinely top class fighter. But when you add all of that on top, Peterson basically just becomes a running gag which got tiresome and stopped being funny a long time ago, one which you just want to disappear as soon as possible.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

What An Absolute Joke It Is That.... Empty Re: What An Absolute Joke It Is That....

Post by Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake Mon 13 Jan 2014, 10:42 pm

(thus guaranteeing himself much better earning power, even if it's undeserved

He got $30k for defending his title against Kendall Holt!

Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 13 Jan 2014, 10:47 pm

True, but still a lot more than Holt got as the challenger!
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Mon 13 Jan 2014, 10:56 pm

Doesn't quite compare to the $1.5mil he'd have got from the Khan rematch, he may still hold a title but monetary wise he won't be making much.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 13 Jan 2014, 11:03 pm

Yes, but the same principle applies. He was being guaranteed that much for the scheduled Khan fight because he was the man holding the titles, which he'd taken from Khan. If Khan had won a contentious decision in their first fight and the WBA / IBF had ordered a rematch for that purpose, Peterson's end would have been a lot less, naturally.

My point wasn't to suggest that Peterson is raking in massive amounts per fight due to his title, because the story of the $50,000 purse to share between him and Holt once the purse bids went nowhere is something we're all well-versed in. I was simply highlighting that, regardless of whether his purses from now on will be high or low, he's still a richer man and in a better position to take the lion's share with his belt rather than without it.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Tue 14 Jan 2014, 7:33 am

The PEDS he took were for his diet not to enhance his performance.

He offered Khan the rematch but Khan was too busy chasing the incredibly mysterious man in the hat.

Since his legit win over Khan Peterson has fought Holt and Matthysse 2 genuine top ten opponants.

khan has faced Molina and Diaz.....nuff said.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Tue 14 Jan 2014, 8:43 am

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:The PEDS he took were for his diet not to enhance his performance.

He offered Khan the rematch but Khan was too busy chasing the incredibly mysterious man in the hat.

Since his legit win over Khan Peterson has fought Holt and Matthysse 2 genuine top ten opponants.

They were testosterone pelets, nothing to do with his diet. He claimed his test levels were lower than the average person and took them to bring his levels up to normal, he just didn't get the governing bodies clearance to do it.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Tue 14 Jan 2014, 9:30 am

hampo171 wrote:
ONETWOFOREVER wrote:The PEDS he took were for his diet not to enhance his performance.

They were testosterone pelets, nothing to do with his diet. He claimed his test levels were lower than the average person and took them to bring his levels up to normal, he just didn't get the governing bodies clearance to do it.

Yeh okay...........

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Diamond in the rough Tue 14 Jan 2014, 10:24 am

mobilemaster8 wrote:
hampo171 wrote:

Yeh okay...........

Yeah I thought he took the pellets and his levels where still inline with the legal limit he just didn't tell the authorities if he did he wouldn't be done! Either way stupid decision

Diamond in the rough

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue 14 Jan 2014, 10:36 am

Peterson's testosterone levels were 3.77:1. A normal human being should have a ratio of 1:1.

Peterson's excuse (testosterone replacement therapy) is one that is regularly trotted out by PED users, especially in MMA. Nevada permits fighters to be six times above the normal level (and so Peterson would have passed their tests). Nevada don't even test for synthetic testosterone.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Tue 14 Jan 2014, 11:16 am

I can't believe anyone could see it as a legitimate win against Khan. His excuse is laughable that he had no idea how he could have tested positive like he forgot about flying the whole way across the country to get testosterone pellets shoved in his a***. Frightening that he would have passed most drug tests that take place in championship fights.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 14 Jan 2014, 11:27 am

hazharrison wrote:Peterson's testosterone levels were 3.77:1. A normal human being should have a ratio of 1:1.

Truss comes in at 144.65:1

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down