The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Your Absolute Favourite 3 One Punch Knock Outs

4 posters

Go down

Your Absolute Favourite 3 One Punch Knock Outs Empty Your Absolute Favourite 3 One Punch Knock Outs

Post by Mr Bounce Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:37 pm

Just a bit of fun going looking down memory lane - what are your top 3 one punch KOs?

Mine?

1. Lewis vs Rahman II. If ever there was a redemption shot, it was this one. Lined him up with the left, then WALLOP! Lewis even laid him out so perfectly that atop Rahman's head was a crown printed on the canvas.

2. Jackson vs Graham. Herol was winning this fight easily. Jackson was being made to look like an amateur. As if by magic, along came that fabled right hand and Graham was in dreamland. A complete leveller of a punch, and the classic commentary of "Oh no!" from I think it was Reg Gutteridge.

3. Alexander vs Takaloo. I never tire of watching this one. I seem to remember a bit of needle in the build-up to this one. Alexander was being manhandled in the 2nd and suddenly BOOM - a huge left hook and Takaloo went down like he'd been hit by a truck. Alexander was never world class, but man was he exciting,

Honourable mentions: Povetkin vs Whyte; Whyte vs Browne; Pacquiao vs Hatton.

What ya got? boxing

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Your Absolute Favourite 3 One Punch Knock Outs Empty Re: Your Absolute Favourite 3 One Punch Knock Outs

Post by 88Chris05 Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:59 pm

Nice article Bounce, and some great picks there. Like most fans I'm sure it depends on what day you ask me, but right now I'll go with....

1) Matthew Saad Muhammad against Lottie Mwale. Okay, maybe I'm bending the rules ever so slightly as it was a two-punch move from Saad, but the first one was really just a grazing shot with Mwale caught on his gloves. But the left uppercut straight after it which put Mwale to sleep....Lordy....

2) Donaire against Darchinyan (first fight). Nonito's one of my favourite fighters of all time, what a way to make a name for yourself.

3) Ray Robinson against Gene Fullmer (second fight). At his age, at that stage of his career and against a chin as tough as Fullmer's, Robinson really had no business taking him out with a punch as short and compact as that. I guess that's why they call him the greatest.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Mr Bounce likes this post

Back to top Go down

Your Absolute Favourite 3 One Punch Knock Outs Empty Re: Your Absolute Favourite 3 One Punch Knock Outs

Post by Soul Requiem Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:56 pm

Martinez taking out Williams was pretty special, both throwing a left hook, his hit the target first.

Another Donaire knockout and similar to my first pick but him taking out Montiel was particularly enjoyable. Made a very good fighter look like a boy that night.

Roy Jones produced the best body shot I've ever seen in beating Virgil Hill, targets the head, the hands go up and then bang.

Soul Requiem

Mr Bounce likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:09 pm

That Donaire punch Chris was a thing of beauty - such timing!

And Soul the Jones bodyshot on Hill was absolutely sickening. I remember hearing the "Thwack!" as it hit and thought to myself "I'm not surprised he's stayed down!" It's very possibly the best bodyshot I have ever seen.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:08 pm

Speaking of body shots, Ray Mercer once knocked a journeyman called Don Steele through the ropes, off the apron and into the front row with a body shot. Obviously not one of the great knockouts given the opposition but can't say I've ever seen any other fighter ever knocked into the front row from a body shot!

He turned out to be one of the many false dawns (along with Grant, Clay-Bey, Etienne etc.) as the USA tried to look for a successor as the careers of Tyson, Holyfield and Bowe started to wind down, but Derrick Jefferson absolutely levelled Maurice Harris with a peach of a left hand. Bit of a forgotten Heavyweight war of that era, along with Clay-Bey against Etienne. Harris' gumshield might not have landed yet, for all I know.

And as one of my favourite fighters to watch I suppose I need to throw a couple of James Toney knockouts in there - one with the left hand, one with the right. The left hander was against Jason Robinson up at Cruiserweight, just before he revived his career by beating Jirov in that barnstormer. The other was back in his Super-Middleweight pomp when he put Charles Williams away with a lovely right hand. So effortless, just a great set up, timing and execution.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:21 am

1. Curry ko2 McCrory...Beautiful jab slip...Great balance...Perfect left hook...Should have been stopped after it..

2. Arguello ko 2 Rooney....Arguello's straight punches looked like Artwork from an Artist...Perfect straight right..Sounded perfect .

3. Azumah Nelson ko 1 Pat Cowdell....Perfect uppercut for a spoiler that kept trying to work and then hold....Best pressure fighter I ever saw without doing any work was Azumah..

If you won't let me have Curry v McCrory then Fullmer v Robbo..

Remember Fullmer said he thought Robinson must have been in great shape to be jumping up between rounds...When his trainer said its over to him there was a knockout...Fullmer said I guess it must have been me knocked out because I couldn't remember any of it.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down