The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ronnie To Quit......AGAIN??

+3
mystiroakey
eirebilly
CaledonianCraig
7 posters

Go down

Ronnie To Quit......AGAIN?? Empty Ronnie To Quit......AGAIN??

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 06 May 2012, 7:55 am

I see Ronnie has starting the quit talk again saying this 'might' be his last match at The Crucible.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/snooker/17972505

Is it a motivational tactic though don't think he needs it. If he is serious then that kind of blows gboycottnut's theory of 10+ world title's out of the water for Ronnie.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Ronnie To Quit......AGAIN?? Empty Re: Ronnie To Quit......AGAIN??

Post by eirebilly Sun 06 May 2012, 9:42 am

How long has been quitting for, 6-7 years?

He needs the game more than the game needs him.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 06 May 2012, 10:01 am

oh gawdd, lol- trying to back him up all week and he says this again.

Even if he feels it, why does he have to tell the whole world!!

I am not happy..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 06 May 2012, 10:03 am

however i have just read the article and your headline is misleading!(are you in training to become a tabloid reporter CC

below is what he said

O'Sullivan, after

comfortably beating Matthew Stevens

in their semi-final, added: "I don't intend to stay in the game long, even though I feel [I'm in] in a lot better place. I might consider having a good, long break, a couple of years off.

"I've weighed up the pluses and the minuses and I'm quite comfortable with the decision.

"There's no better way [to go out] than to get to the final at the Crucible. If I win it, it's a bonus; if I don't, at least I can say I've gone out on a high."

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sun 06 May 2012, 10:24 am

Ronnie's been saying same things since early 2000's, maybe its a way to make his next opponent go easy on him and take their focus away?
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 06 May 2012, 10:28 am

Josiah Maiestas wrote:Ronnie's been saying same things since early 2000's, maybe its a way to make his next opponent go easy on him and take their focus away?

i honestly cant believe that is why he is saying these things- I just think he says what he feels, and all he said (when you break it down)was that he is feeling good , but not perfect and that he may take a couple of years out.

I think what Ronnie said was just his typical ramblings slightly toned down. This only becomes a problem when people misinterprete what he says and make it a story rather than the reality of what it is and what we all allready know.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sun 06 May 2012, 10:41 am

Sorry Ronnie if you wanted to quit then you should have said it before Hendry, now it just looks like youre attention seeking.

Barry Hearn would have a fit if he lost his 2 most popular players though, funny thought. Very Happy
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 06 May 2012, 10:42 am

Apologies mysti if it came across as an attack on Ronnie but the question marks in thread title are a clue to my thoughts on it. Yes Ronnie has said this all before but as others have tapped on he has been far better mentally balanced this time so surely they have to be taken a little more seriously. Ronnie is right it would be a great way to bow out as champion and if he feels he needs time for his family that is only fair.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 06 May 2012, 11:09 am

no apoligies needed dude.

i was assuming he was going of on one ranting, when its just him mumbling about his thoughts.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Sun 06 May 2012, 11:37 am

Well it does blow my theory that Ronnie could win 10+ World Titles out of the water if Ronnie decides to indeed retire after the end of this year's World Championship. Anyway he has had a long 15 years great career in snooker so I suppose I could understand the reason for him retiring as the game now really is a lot tougher than what it was in the past as now there is more traveling needed and more tournaments worldwide throughout the year as was the case in the past. It used to be the case that after the World Championship, snooker pros could have a well earned break/holiday from snooker from the beginning of May after the World Championship finishes until the start of September of so when the new snooker season begins with the Scottish Masters. But now that snooker pros are required to play in snooker tournaments throughout the summer months it could well be that many of the top players start to retire from tournament play around the mid 30's to 40's.

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 06 May 2012, 11:42 am

personally gb- ronnie wont be winning ten plus events, but i also reakon he will play in at least another 6 WC. so he could get to 5-7

I will eat my hat if he quits the game. maybe a break - yes, but quit - no chance.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun 06 May 2012, 11:49 am

To be fair, Ronnie has had a point that with all these extra torunements happening, it will probably force him and many of the other older generation into retirement as they will not be able to cope with the travelling to all these tournements, especially if they have young families.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by EdWoodjr Sun 06 May 2012, 12:06 pm

Josiah Maiestas wrote:Sorry Ronnie if you wanted to quit then you should have said it before Hendry, now it just looks like youre attention seeking.

Barry Hearn would have a fit if he lost his 2 most popular players though, funny thought. Very Happy

The BBC2 documentary tonight about Hearn should be worth a look

EdWoodjr

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sun 06 May 2012, 12:13 pm

Is that the thing on from 6:10-7?
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 06 May 2012, 12:14 pm

Snooker needs more flag ship events around the globe, and it needs multiple profitable tours that are more localised. When and if it becomes popular enough that will happen. However untill then the game has to reach around the globe on a single tour. It could very well make older players retire earlier, but not sure what else can be done in fairness.

All the same i was speaking to an indian lad on the cricket boards on the old 606 and we discussed snooker- he kept saying that india had multiple snooker world champions and billads champs. He was correct about the biliards- however he honestly thought that the indina league was the best snooker had to offer and he thought the world championships(or what ever there were called) in india- was the ulitmate and real world champs!

odd but very true. He had no exposure to world professional snooker, and we dont have any exposure to indian snooker(at the time i checked out there standard and in fairness it was very low in comparison), yet he said snooker was quite a big deal over there.. Now i am not sure if the guy was away with the fairys or his opinion was valid but all the same I wonder why hearn hasnt tapped into that potentially massive market

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Mon 07 May 2012, 11:25 am

The problem, for me, that snooker has is that there are too many variations on the sport ie pool and billiards. Obviously, the huge untapped market is USA and Canada but there they prefer the wham-bam thank you man style of pool so snooker is never going to win US sports fans over.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Mon 07 May 2012, 11:34 am

CaledonianCraig wrote:The problem, for me, that snooker has is that there are too many variations on the sport ie pool and billiards. Obviously, the huge untapped market is USA and Canada but there they prefer the wham-bam thank you man style of pool so snooker is never going to win US sports fans over.

Canada what a country that once used to be for producing a lot great snooker players like Cliff Thorburn, Kirk Stevens, Bill Werbeniuk, Bob Chaperon, Alain Robidoux and Jim Wych.

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 07 May 2012, 11:34 am

snooker will probably never work in usa, just like other sports dont- there have there own variations- but that isnt a real problem as seen with other sports that flurish.. We dont need to concentrate on cracking america- they can stick with there 'insular' variations.. however i am a massive fan of 9 ball and used to play semi pro(uk 9 ball tour- i really love the game).

Snooker doesnt really have a commonwealth base to the game- it really is just uk and ireland(untill china), and the odd player from europe or the commonwealth.. It is quite random that china has taken to this game- but there are the biggest economy with the biggest population and we could see snooker becoming one of the most lucritive sports to get into for pros within 30 years. If china grows as the world economy(india could also be a world economy soon and also love the game) the way it is promising and snooker grows with it. thinkabout sports like golf and trennis and what they earn. Snooker could be massive

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Mon 07 May 2012, 11:40 am

What has happened to the South African players. There used to be a fair few of them in the late 1970's to 1980's in the form of Perrie Mans, Silvino Francisco and Peter Francisco.

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 07 May 2012, 11:47 am

Gb- same as what happened to the canadian players. nothing much- There was a much stronger presence with commonwelth countries and snooker in the past. But its dieing out. If and when it becomes more lucritive there might start playing again in the masses

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Mon 07 May 2012, 12:00 pm

mystiroakey wrote:Gb- same as what happened to the canadian players. nothing much- There was a much stronger presence with commonwelth countries and snooker in the past. But its dieing out. If and when it becomes more lucritive there might start playing again in the masses

Australia used to be able to field a strong enough team of Eddie Charlton, John Campbell and Warren King in the Snooker World Cup. New Zealander Dene O'Kane also played for the Rest of the World Team in that competition. O'Kane could also have played for the Australia team also if all the teams had to have 4 players in the competition.

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 07 May 2012, 12:35 pm

yep australia as well. obviously australia has a good shot at getting more depth quicker due to robbos success- that one player breeds others

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Tue 08 May 2012, 9:54 am

This on the BBC

Spoiler:

I actually very much agree with alot of what Ronnie is saying here.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Tue 08 May 2012, 10:02 am

Yes can't disagree with much of that. I reckon Barry Hearn should be bending Stephen Hendry's ear to ask him to sort of liaise with players so a more suitable and workable circuit can be put in place with the amount of compulsory tournaments dropped in number.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Tue 08 May 2012, 10:06 am

Yeah, i would also like to see Hendry as a liason between Mr Hearn and the players.

In my job, i work alot of hours and it takes me all over thw world as well so i cant fully understand the stress that this sort of travel puts on players. I, at least, earn money every trip and have all my flights and accomodation paid for. Imagine the stress that alot of these players will have if they are not certain of a payday when travelling these distances and spending so much time away from there families.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Tue 08 May 2012, 11:46 am

27 tournaments is too much for this game considering how long matches can last, would be physically taxing. I agree with Ronnie's words here, Barry has improved the tour yes, but he's basically saying the players should be in a tournament every week, this isn't darts where matches can last about 45 minutes...
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Thu 10 May 2012, 11:08 am

The thing is, it can work but i would be very suprised to see the Top Players, enter everyone of the tournements or will withdraw from a few.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down