The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Failed Drug Test? Khan Peterson fight could be in jeopardy!

+25
eddyfightfan
Ent
Strongback
The Beast
Gordy
sweet_pea
TRUSSMAN66
The Galveston Giant
as1079
manos de piedra
Sugar Floyd Louis
ShahenshahG
OasisBFC
J.Benson II
Union Cane
ONETWOFOREVER
TopHat24/7
Seanusarrilius
Pound-for-Pound
azania
bellchees
kevchadders
School Project
hampo17
The genius of PBF
29 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Failed Drug Test? Khan Peterson fight could be in jeopardy! - Page 3 Empty Failed Drug Test? Khan Peterson fight could be in jeopardy!

Post by The genius of PBF Tue 08 May 2012, 5:32 am

First topic message reminder :

http://www.fighthype.com/news/article12368.html

If true this is why boxing needs the best testing!

The genius of PBF

Back to top Go down

Failed Drug Test? Khan Peterson fight could be in jeopardy! - Page 3 Empty Re: Failed Drug Test? Khan Peterson fight could be in jeopardy!

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 08 May 2012, 9:26 pm

Gordy wrote:A one year ban is outrage for an offence as serious as this. Im sorry but if you take illicit steroids in a sport as dangerous boxing there is simply no other alternative other than a lifetime ban from the sport. You are potentially endangering someones life.

No worse than putting concrete in your gloves yet Margecheato's still back...

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Failed Drug Test? Khan Peterson fight could be in jeopardy! - Page 3 Empty Re: Failed Drug Test? Khan Peterson fight could be in jeopardy!

Post by Pound-for-Pound Tue 08 May 2012, 9:28 pm

He was banned for a year and that's the punishment they are expecting for Peterson.

Pound-for-Pound

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 08 May 2012, 9:36 pm

Which is not enough in mine, and a lot of other people's, opinions.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 08 May 2012, 9:41 pm

manos de piedra wrote:Yeah but is his excuse going to be something like the doctor told me to take these pellets to treat a chest infection or something?

The problem is that he should have declared this when he took the test & it would've been looked into & maybe taken into consideration if there was a legit reason to be taking it. But no he didn't & when he was found out he acted dumb & then only came 'clean' when the 2nd sample came up positive, suddenly his memory was jogged. He deserves to be banned.

There does seem to be a new problem emerging with athletes, fighters etc getting TRT from Dr's & an increase of steroid use to aid recovery from injury, apparently it can speed up the recovery massively. To me this is a dodgy loophole that is being exploited.

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Tue 08 May 2012, 9:54 pm

sohotnot wrote:
manos de piedra wrote:Yeah but is his excuse going to be something like the doctor told me to take these pellets to treat a chest infection or something?

The problem is that he should have declared this when he took the test & it would've been looked into & maybe taken into consideration if there was a legit reason to be taking it. But no he didn't & when he was found out he acted dumb & then only came 'clean' when the 2nd sample came up positive, suddenly his memory was jogged. He deserves to be banned.

There does seem to be a new problem emerging with athletes, fighters etc getting TRT from Dr's & an increase of steroid use to aid recovery from injury, apparently it can speed up the recovery massively. To me this is a dodgy loophole that is being exploited.

Yeah I agree, its just a commonplace excuse that snared athletes use. I do think on occasion it can be genuine - Kolo Toure in football for example seems to have just been a genuine case of ignorance as opposed to wilfull cheating. But doesnt sound like has much mileage if the facts in the Peterson case are as they seem.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue 08 May 2012, 10:04 pm

Pound-for-Pound wrote:I think he pretty much already is saying that but until he was cornered he denied taking anything. I just find it hard to believe he forgot he had a Testosterone Pellet injected. It's not like it was a few tablets after every meal, it's a pretty memorable procedure.

Is that how its administered?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue 08 May 2012, 10:07 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:
Gordy wrote:A one year ban is outrage for an offence as serious as this. Im sorry but if you take illicit steroids in a sport as dangerous boxing there is simply no other alternative other than a lifetime ban from the sport. You are potentially endangering someones life.

No worse than putting concrete in your gloves yet Margecheato's still back...

Whoa!!! It is very different. Yes taking PED's is cheating. It makes you train harder. It doesn't give you super-strength. You train harder, you recover quicker, ergo you have more stamina. You still have to train very hard for it to have the proper effect. If you don't you just get fat with shrinking gonads.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Tue 08 May 2012, 10:09 pm

if everybody took them we wouldnt have this problem, maybe they should become compulsory

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Floyd Louis Tue 08 May 2012, 10:22 pm

I know this is selfish of me with there being a known cheat involved.. but am I the only one happy it may still be on?

I was looking forward to it. Don't know if there's a point though, if Peterson wins and Khan isn't on point, he won't get credit.

Sugar Floyd Louis

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue 08 May 2012, 10:29 pm

Sugar Floyd Louis wrote:I know this is selfish of me with there being a known cheat involved.. but am I the only one happy it may still be on?

I was looking forward to it. Don't know if there's a point though, if Peterson wins and Khan isn't on point, he won't get credit.

I don't know. Unless they allow LP to fight for nothing. But Khan is in a win win position here. If he loses, he'd have been beaten by a known juicer. If he wins, he'd be a hero and his status will rocket.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Floyd Louis Tue 08 May 2012, 10:30 pm

True... surely Peterson will be stripped off his belts?

Sugar Floyd Louis

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Tue 08 May 2012, 10:33 pm

Sugar Floyd Louis wrote:I know this is selfish of me with there being a known cheat involved.. but am I the only one happy it may still be on?

Its kind of spoiled the whole thing for me. Now even the fight goes ahead whatever happens will have too many question marks over it.

Petersons credibility going into the bout is just too damaged now.

I was genuinely looking forward to a bout that would be entertaining and answer questions about both fighters. Now whatever the outcome I think questions will remain.

If it wasnt so close to the fight Id advocaate looking for another opponent but its too short notice now I think to get in a credible replacement.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Floyd Louis Tue 08 May 2012, 10:39 pm

Agreed manos... bad luck for Lamont, didn't get credit first time and certainly won't get any should he win May 19th.

Khan should just hurry and get to 147 and hopefully he takes a resounding loss to someone clean with no excuses Very Happy

Sugar Floyd Louis

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue 08 May 2012, 10:57 pm

Sugar Floyd Louis wrote:True... surely Peterson will be stripped off his belts?

Seeing as he took it before their fight, he should be and Khan declared the unified champ Very Happy Very Happy Forget the ND nonsense.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 08 May 2012, 11:01 pm

manos de piedra wrote:

Its kind of spoiled the whole thing for me. Now even the fight goes ahead whatever happens will have too many question marks over it.

Petersons credibility going into the bout is just too damaged now.

I was genuinely looking forward to a bout that would be entertaining and answer questions about both fighters. Now whatever the outcome I think questions will remain.

If it wasnt so close to the fight Id advocaate looking for another opponent but its too short notice now I think to get in a credible replacement.

I have to say guys I don't think Peterson should be allowed to fight, whether he is guilty or made a mistake it doesn't matter & letting the fight go ahead purely because its so close & could be difficult to get a a suitable opponent is not a good idea, what sort of message does it send out? Recently the UFC had a similar situation in the main event of an upcoming event & Dana White was prepared to pull the main event. Before the guilty party went up before the commission to give evidence Dana pulled him out just in case & put in a replacement who happened to be be fighting on the card. A good decision.

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Tue 08 May 2012, 11:07 pm

Yeah but what about all the fans who have bought tickets or travelled a great expense? The costs involved in putting on the card, booking the arena, the schedule with thte sponsors and tv companies etc?

At a weeks notice I just dont think you get a credible replacement at 140lb who could make fighting weight at that time. The best you could probably get is a journeyman or rounder type of fighter like DeMarcus Corley who has to keep himself in shape all year round to be ready for these kind of fights. But I dont think that would cut it for a headline event.

If there was a decent 140lb fighter on the undercard that could be upgraded, then by all means, thats what happened in the Lewis/Klitschkos fight. But there doesnt appear to be.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by PPVxHOTTY Tue 08 May 2012, 11:10 pm

Cancel the fight? if you had paid to go out and watch the fight you people wouldn't be mentioning cancel fight! Also use your brains how is a 'replacement gonna train in under 1 month'? its not friday fight night level 'pub boxers' this is world level fight, some people on here type gibberish without using their brains. We had a fantastic fight 1st time, why should any boxing fan want the rematch called off.

PPVxHOTTY

Back to top Go down

Post by PPVxHOTTY Tue 08 May 2012, 11:11 pm

manos de piedra wrote:Yeah but what about all the fans who have bought tickets or travelled a great expense? The costs involved in putting on the card, booking the arena, the schedule with thte sponsors and tv companies etc?

At a weeks notice I just dont think you get a credible replacement at 140lb who could make fighting weight at that time. The best you could probably get is a journeyman or rounder type of fighter like DeMarcus Corley who has to keep himself in shape all year round to be ready for these kind of fights. But I dont think that would cut it for a headline event.

If there was a decent 140lb fighter on the undercard that could be upgraded, then by all means, thats what happened in the Lewis/Klitschkos fight. But there doesnt appear to be.

Exactly what I just said except you worded it better! king

PPVxHOTTY

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue 08 May 2012, 11:33 pm

PPVxHOTTY wrote:
manos de piedra wrote:Yeah but what about all the fans who have bought tickets or travelled a great expense? The costs involved in putting on the card, booking the arena, the schedule with thte sponsors and tv companies etc?

Exactly what I just said except you worded it better! king

He has a tendency to do that, the git.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Wed 09 May 2012, 9:46 am

I think Peterson's brother is on the undercard, let him fight instead. Khan isn't the brightest so maybe he wont even realise.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 09 May 2012, 9:47 am

http://news.yahoo.com/apnewsbreak-peterson-lawyer-fighting-failed-test-025116584--box.html

Got to say the following link does not sound especially optimistic, his explanation seems a little fanciful to me, also suggests a substitute opponent willl not be drafted in.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Wed 09 May 2012, 10:00 am

I think if the fight goes ahead and Khan batters him - it really leaves him with nowhere to go.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 09 May 2012, 10:38 am

@Manos & PPVxHOTTY

Completely understand where you are coming from but I feel it sets a bad precedent for the future. Steroid, PED use is on the increase as is TRT which is often given to athletes in all sports because they have low testosterone levels mostly brought on by illegal testosterone or steroid use at an early age. Just read Rowley's link & both Kizer & Schaefer say the fight may well not happen & there will be no replacement for Khan. Are they talking gibberish or sticking to the rules?

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 09 May 2012, 10:40 am

Get Khan over to Sheffield in July, Kell Brook has still not announced an opponent and I get a decent fight on my doorstep, what's not to love about that plan.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Wed 09 May 2012, 10:44 am

rowley wrote:Get Khan over to Sheffield in July, Kell Brook has still not announced an opponent and I get a decent fight on my doorstep, what's not to love about that plan.

Khans a second or third generation immigrant - you probably wouldn't allow him on your property also think Jones is being lined u forbrook

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 09 May 2012, 10:48 am

Third generation are no use to me Shah, no money in those. Didn't think the scenario was likely, would be nice though.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 09 May 2012, 10:48 am

I'd go with that Rowley purely for your benefit! But in all seriousness it would be a good fight that Brooke & many in the UK want to see. I read your link & for me the Peterson camp are digging themselves into a bigger hole, now it seems the Dr prescribed it for a low Testosterone level when at first they had no idea how he failed the test. Why he never submitted this info in the first place is beyond me.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 09 May 2012, 10:50 am

Got to agree soho, hate to think any fighter is juicing but have to say Lamont's defence on this seems a little fanciful, was an age before they commented and then come up with a procedure that like you have said it is pretty obvious they would have known they need to disclose.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Wed 09 May 2012, 11:03 am

rowley wrote:Third generation are no use to me Shah, no money in those. Didn't think the scenario was likely, would be nice though.

laughing

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 09 May 2012, 2:20 pm

Why can't fighters see the bigger picture????

Just about to get his biggest payday and even if he loses..he's accrued enough Pr to bag a few nice paychecks as a sought after steppingstone for a top contender or alphabet champion afterwards to leave Boxing comfortable!!!!

Why are fighters stupid!!!!

It's so depressing...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Wed 09 May 2012, 2:35 pm

sohotnot wrote:@Manos & PPVxHOTTY

Completely understand where you are coming from but I feel it sets a bad precedent for the future. Steroid, PED use is on the increase as is TRT which is often given to athletes in all sports because they have low testosterone levels mostly brought on by illegal testosterone or steroid use at an early age. Just read Rowley's link & both Kizer & Schaefer say the fight may well not happen & there will be no replacement for Khan. Are they talking gibberish or sticking to the rules?

Yeah I see your point and from a moral perspective you are probably right. I would just be surprised if the moral standpoint is enough to trump the millions of dollars and inconvenience. Its a tough situation because you arent just punishing the culprit but also the fans, opponent, tv networks, sponsors etc who have all invested time and money. In all honesty had I paid good money to go to the fight I would probably want it to go ahead at this stage in the day regardless and just punish Peterson after it.

Even if it goes ahead though its bound to be disappointment. Peterson probably knows win, lose or draw he is screwed now and mentally might not be up for it.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 09 May 2012, 2:46 pm

manos de piedra wrote:
sohotnot wrote:@Manos & PPVxHOTTY

Yeah I see your point and from a moral perspective you are probably right. I would just be surprised if the moral standpoint is enough to trump the millions of dollars and inconvenience. Its a tough situation because you arent just punishing the culprit but also the fans, opponent, tv networks, sponsors etc who have all invested time and money. In all honesty had I paid good money to go to the fight I would probably want it to go ahead at this stage in the day regardless and just punish Peterson after it.

Even if it goes ahead though its bound to be disappointment. Peterson probably knows win, lose or draw he is screwed now and mentally might not be up for it.

I fully understand you & if I had booked it I'd be gutted if it was canceled. As for punishing Peterson afterwards, what kind of punishment is a year ban in this day & age of boxing especially after he has received a career highest payday? Its a pity with don't have the stacked undercards of yesteryear where you would just move the main support bout to headline & give a prelim bout some much needed exposure.

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Wed 09 May 2012, 2:48 pm

Give Khan both fees and let it go on - make sure peterson doesnt juice up in between and i expect khan to do serious number on him like he hould have done in the first

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Wed 09 May 2012, 3:02 pm

If you give Khan both fees though then what is the incentive for Peterson? Fight for free and look forward to a ban? Potentially could ruin the fight. Already mentally hes probably lost a significant edge. If hes not even going to get paid for 12 hard rounds then it could be a complete non performance.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Wed 09 May 2012, 3:07 pm

He could argue that he has already been punished and that could limit his ban to 6 months. He'll probably opt to serve it than running away to mexico or something to fight

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 09 May 2012, 3:11 pm

Notwithstanding the PEDs I dont think the fight should go ahead. LP's head will be all over th eplace and the fight will probably be boring. Khan will be thinking he's fighting a super strong man and run even faster.

Cancel it and reimburse all the fans. I cant see GBP doing anything with LP in future.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 09 May 2012, 3:14 pm

I struggle to see how the fight can go on, if you have random testing in the run up to the fight and someone gets caught but you carry on regardless it does kind of cause one to question what is the point of having the testing in the first place.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Wed 09 May 2012, 3:20 pm

rowley wrote:I struggle to see how the fight can go on, if you have random testing in the run up to the fight and someone gets caught but you carry on regardless it does kind of cause one to question what is the point of having the testing in the first place.

The only counter argument I would make is that the alternative just damages too many innocent third parties.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 09 May 2012, 4:06 pm

Agree with Rowley......Someone breaks the rules to heck with the third parties...

They do insure these things you know!!!

Unfortunately people beat these tests but when you're found out...you shouldn't get the go-ahead and exploit your advantage!!!!!!!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 09 May 2012, 4:17 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Agree with Rowley......Someone breaks the rules to heck with the third parties...

They do insure these things you know!!!

Unfortunately people beat these tests but when you're found out...you shouldn't get the go-ahead and exploit your advantage!!!!!!!!

Exactly, I completely agree. Doesn't seem to long ago that people on this forum were crying out for olympic style testing & saying boxing isn't tennis or cycling, what if a juiced fighter did some serious damage to a fighter? Seems that's all gone out the window because it might not sit well with the fans or anybody who has a vested interest in the promotion! So it now begs the question was Floyd right to ask for tests or was he looking for a way out? Can't have it both ways.

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Wed 09 May 2012, 4:38 pm

I think it depends on what actually happened. the facts of the case dont seem clear yet. so far my understanding is that his failed test was in relation to the last Khan fight and treatment in November. That fight is ancient history now so nothing can change that.

If he is found to be on steroids for this upcoming fight I would agree the fight should be cancelled. If he is clean, then the fight could go ahead and Peterson punished after it for the past offence.

I think all boxing fans would like to see the best testing possible in the sport.

I also think Mayweather used the testing issue primarily as means of discrediting Pacquiao and to block the fight. If he was as confident of beating Pacquiao as he claimed in the first place I dont think he would have made the demands. I think he just knew there was easier money to be made elsewhere. I agree with his principle of the better testing, but not the motive which I think was just self serving.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Wed 09 May 2012, 4:52 pm

I thought that too - The pellets were taken before the first fight - and he tested positive in march and may for the A + B sample - then in the fresh test in april there was no trace of it. Only problem is - was the 2nd test negative because they'd taken steps to remove it or did they just find a masking agent

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 09 May 2012, 5:07 pm

ShahenshahG wrote:I thought that too - The pellets were taken before the first fight - and he tested positive in march and may for the A + B sample - then in the fresh test in april there was no trace of it. Only problem is - was the 2nd test negative because they'd taken steps to remove it or did they just find a masking agent

This is a the problem for me, somebody testing positive 4 months after they last allegedly used, something they convinently forgot to disclose at the time of the test. Had they done this non of this now would be happening. As you say they could've used a masking agent when the 2nd test was done, they wouldn't be the first to do so. Its generally out of season or outside of a fight camp that most ped taking is done. I just feel that all the excuses that have come from the Peterson camp are making things worse & as I said earlier why are his testosterone levels low so that he needs TRT? We could speculate in a conspricacy theory that the voluntary test was Peterson testing how long the stuff stayed in his system, how close to the fight could he risk using. The UFC's Alistair Overeem tested positive to high testosterone in a test outside of the fight was found guilty & banned.

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Wed 09 May 2012, 5:10 pm

I dont know either it seems confusing. Not to mention that Peterson was the one who demanded the better testing. I dont know what the wait time between being actually tested and getting the results is either.

The first Peterson failed test result seemd to be back in March and related to the first Khan test. Its possible that Peterson knew this, got himself clean and then asked for the VADA testing in order to appear clean in future tests so they could pass the first failed one off as a discrepancy of some sort.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 09 May 2012, 5:27 pm

The question I have is still why was he taking testosterone in the first place & why not disclose it in the first place. The way they have been commenting on it doesn't help either all seems a bit desperate to me.

Another example from the UFC is Chael Sonnen who tested positive in the post fight test, he was given a 12 month ban which was then reduced to 6 months after he was able to prove that he was given TRT by his Dr but again he forgot to disclose this. As with Overeem he mentioned low testosterone levels & then said something about some concoction his Dr had given him for an injury but the Dr didn't mention it contained testosterone, again he didn't disclose this. You see the pattern that is occurring here? Admit it & come up with a 'legitimate' excuse after you've been caught even though disclosure would have saved you!

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Wed 09 May 2012, 5:43 pm

Actually - I get the feeling that he thought the testosterone would be out by time the testing took place and when the Vada officials turned up at the first presser he was caught out

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 09 May 2012, 5:56 pm

ShahenshahG wrote:Actually - I get the feeling that he thought the testosterone would be out by time the testing took place and when the Vada officials turned up at the first presser he was caught out

Same here. Just read the article on the BBC boxing page & it says he was tested in March & when he was found out claimed it was from before the Khan fight as though that makes it ok. Had he been an athlete such as a sprinter & his out of season random test came up & he failed it for synthetic testosterone he'd have been banned for a set amount of time, I just don't see how this should be different. As i mentioned with Overeem in the UFC the test he failed was 2 months before the fight & he was under an obligation to give a clean test so that he could get a license to fight in Nevada after alledgedly dodging it before xmas for his UFC debut. Got caught got banned.

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Wed 09 May 2012, 6:05 pm

Regarding the Vada testing - I was heartened to see that they took a sample first up. I think they just wanted to get a sample of blood and urine to see what the normal levels of testosterone are then compare future levels and instead they hit the jackpot Laugh looking like geniuses now.

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 09 May 2012, 6:07 pm

ShahenshahG wrote:Regarding the Vada testing - I was heartened to see that they took a sample first up. I think they just wanted to get a sample of blood and urine to see what the normal levels of testosterone are then compare future levels and instead they hit the jackpot Laugh looking like geniuses now.

thumbsup

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 09 May 2012, 7:00 pm

Having thought about this a bit more I struggle to see how the fight can go ahead. Obviously a worst case scenario but what happens if the fight goes ahead and Lamont hurts Khan, and I mean hurts him in a Gerard Mc kind of way. May be unlikely but if it happens where does that leave the sport. One of the main defences put forward when talk of abolishing boxing comes around is every effort is made to make the sport safe, if we allow a known juicer who has recently failed a drug test into a ring that claim is out of the water. Would we be looking at a fighter on an attempted murder charge?

The more I think about it unless there is no way this fight can be allowed to go on as far as I am concerned, if you don't stop the fight going ahead the whole point of testing in advance is negated.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next