The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ireland U-20 World Cup Squad 2012 for SA

+5
red_stag
formerly known as Sam
rodders
Notch
Sin é
9 posters

Go down

Ireland U-20 World Cup Squad 2012 for SA Empty Ireland U-20 World Cup Squad 2012 for SA

Post by Sin é Tue 08 May 2012, 3:38 pm

Ireland U-20 Squad (IRB Junior World Championship, South Africa 2012)

Tadhg Beirne (Lansdowne /Leinster)
Shane Buckley (Garryowen/Munster)*
Jake Cawley (Old Belvedere/Leinster)
Jordon Coghlan (UCD/Leinster)
Sam Coghlan Murray (UCD/Leinster)
Jack Conan (Old Belvedere/Leinster)

Aaron Conneely (Corinthians/Connacht)*
Barry Daly (UCD/Leinster)
Chris Farrell (Dungannon/Ulster)
Tadhg Furlong (Clontarf/Leinster)*
Conor Gilsenan (UCD/Mullingar /Leinster)
J.J. Hanrahan (UL Bohemians/Munster)*

Iain Henderson (Queens University /Ulster)*
Foster Horan (Lansdowne/Leinster)
Paddy Jackson (Dungannon/Ulster)*
Shane Layden (Buccaneers /Connacht)
Kieran Marmion (Corinthians/Connacht)*

Cathal Marsh (Trinity College /Leinster)
Luke McGrath (UCD/Leinster)
Des Merry (Clontarf/Leinster)

Peter Nelson (Dungannon/Ulster)
Alan O'Connor (UCD/Leinster)
Stuart Olding (Belfast Harlequins/Ulster)
James Rael (Garryowen/Munster)
Peter Reilly (Lansdowne/Leinster)
Niall Scannell (Dolphin RFC/Munster)
Mikey Sherlock (Clontarf/Leinster)
Josh Van Der Flier (UCD/Leinster)

*Featured in 2011 Junior World Championship

IRFB Junior World Championship Fixtures:
Pool B (all times are local)
4th June, England v Italy, K.O. 16:45 (University of Western Cape Stadium, Cape Town)
4th June, South Africa v Ireland, K.O. 18:45 (Danie Craven Stadium, Stellenbosch)
8th June, South Africa v Italy, K.O. 18:45 (University of Western Cape Stadium, Cape Town)
8th June, England v Ireland, K.O. 18:45 (Danie Craven Stadium, Stellenbosch)
12th June, Ireland v Italy, K.O.14:45 (Danie Craven Stadium, Stellenbosch)
12th June, South Africa v England, K.O. 18:45 (Danie Craven Stadium, Stellenbosch)

----

Edit: This link gives you their ages, position, weight etc.

http://www.irb.com/jwc/teams/team=3443/index.html
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Ireland U-20 World Cup Squad 2012 for SA Empty Re: Ireland U-20 World Cup Squad 2012 for SA

Post by Notch Tue 08 May 2012, 4:20 pm

I really, really hope Josh van Der Flier plays on the wing!
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Ireland U-20 World Cup Squad 2012 for SA Empty Re: Ireland U-20 World Cup Squad 2012 for SA

Post by rodders Tue 08 May 2012, 4:22 pm

Theres a lot of blue in there..... Whistle
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 08 May 2012, 4:30 pm

Have any of these boys had any top flight experience of is the B&I Cup the highest level they've played in? Obviously Paddy Jackson has played higher and I'd assume Hanrahan has by the way he's bigged up by the Munster crew on these boards.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Tue 08 May 2012, 4:40 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:Have any of these boys had any top flight experience of is the B&I Cup the highest level they've played in? Obviously Paddy Jackson has played higher and I'd assume Hanrahan has by the way he's bigged up by the Munster crew on these boards.

A couple would have experience of the B+I Cup - think JJ would be the only Munster player though that was involved in the final (from the bench) although he did start in all the other matches.

Josh Van Der Flier is a flanker (from Wicklow). There is a reference to him scoring two tries in an U10s blitzback in 2001 in a team coached by his father.

Stuart Olding is described as a utility back on the IRB website. Though he was an outhalf?

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 08 May 2012, 4:43 pm

A couple would have experience of the B+I Cup

Only a couple? What level would they have been playing at, academy or college/university?

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue 08 May 2012, 4:45 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:Have any of these boys had any top flight experience of is the B&I Cup the highest level they've played in? Obviously Paddy Jackson has played higher and I'd assume Hanrahan has by the way he's bigged up by the Munster crew on these boards.

Hanrahan hasn't thats part of the bigging up we do. He hasn't played at higher levels and it frustrates us.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Tue 08 May 2012, 4:48 pm

Delighted Olding and Nelson have made it.

I know Leinster are stronger than the other provinces but they are not that much stonger - do think that selectors need to cast their net a little wider sometimes.

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Tue 08 May 2012, 4:51 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:
A couple would have experience of the B+I Cup

Only a couple? What level would they have been playing at, academy or college/university?

Interprovincial & club level. Some of those clubs would be top amateur ones which would be close enough to B+I standard. Top clubs (the order this year are) St. Marys, Clontarf, Young Munster, Cork Constitution, Lansdowne, Garryowen, Dolphin, Shannon, Old Belevdere, Blackrock.

Mike Ruddock the U-20s coach is also the coach of Lansdowne Rugby club.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Tue 08 May 2012, 5:19 pm

Sin é wrote:

A couple would have experience of the B+I Cup - think JJ would be the only Munster player though that was involved in the final (from the bench) although he did start in all the other matches.

Josh Van Der Flier is a flanker (from Wicklow). There is a reference to him scoring two tries in an U10s blitzback in 2001 in a team coached by his father.

Stuart Olding is described as a utility back on the IRB website. Though he was an outhalf?

Having went to school with him, he has played at 7, 9, 10, 12 and possibly 15. He is a bit short for a lot of those positions though. I am kind of surprised he has made it to this level if I am honest. Must have really improved over the past few seasons.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Tue 08 May 2012, 8:04 pm

So does anyone have any hope that we could pull off a shock here or is it the usual of two moral victories and one real one.
Also could we do better in the knockouts,the last few years I've watched the U20 WC we've looked decent in the groups and then fallen apart and finished 8th or lower,any chance we could improve on that?

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Wed 09 May 2012, 8:29 am

geoff998rugby wrote:Delighted Olding and Nelson have made it.

I know Leinster are stronger than the other provinces but they are not that much stonger - do think that selectors need to cast their net a little wider sometimes.

I agree. Leinster are ahead of the other provinces but they're not that far ahead.

profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Wed 09 May 2012, 8:58 am

Olding is considered a 10 these days by Ulster.

All the 5 Ulster lads have played for the first XV - albeit in the case of Farrell, Olding and Nelson very briefly as a sub.

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down