The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why choose a particular boxing forum??

+24
eddyfightfan
milkyboy
zx1234
azumah HOF
Seanusarrilius
ShahenshahG
Valero's Conscience
BoxingFan88
RANDY77
DoubleD22
Mind the windows Tino.
Sugar Floyd Louis
Strongback
Adam D
School Project
TRUSSMAN66
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Josef K.
hampo17
The Galveston Giant
as1079
Steffan
Rowley
Pedro147
28 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Why choose a particular boxing forum?? Empty Why choose a particular boxing forum??

Post by Pedro147 Tue 08 May 2012, 5:48 pm

Just wondering your thoughts on why you choose a boxing forum? Speaking for myself I was signed up to the old BBC 606 forum and when they began shutting it down I joined this forum. What makes a good forum? What are the principal aspects of a forum that would make you choose a forum?

If you were to change one thing about this forum what would it be?

What things do you feel make this forum standout against others?

Also just wondering are there many of you that post on muliple forums or is it mainly just this one?

Just want to point out this not attack on the MOD's who I feel do a great job in locking pointless threads and keeping the forum rules adhered to. Keep up the good work.

Looking forward to your response Smile

Pedro147

Back to top Go down

Why choose a particular boxing forum?? Empty Re: Why choose a particular boxing forum??

Post by Rowley Tue 08 May 2012, 5:53 pm

Pedro147 wrote:

What things do you feel make this forum standout against others?

The even handed and brilliant moderation on this one is obviously the biggest attraction.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Why choose a particular boxing forum?? Empty Re: Why choose a particular boxing forum??

Post by Steffan Tue 08 May 2012, 5:55 pm

I chose this forum because it was a natural progression from the old 606. I post on Eastside Boxing now and again but thats mainly in the Lounge part where we talk about women and beer and stuff. I do miss some of the old guys from BBC. I feel it stands out because you can post discuss other sports as well as its not just a boxing forum its a sports forum. One thing I would change......hmm......that swear filter could be ammended. I mean...Mike Tyson is a convicted 'naughty person'???

Other than that I enjoy posting on here even though there are a few people with clear agenda although you would never catch me going down that route ofcourse Very Happy

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 08 May 2012, 5:56 pm

Steffan wrote: One thing I would change......hmm......that swear filter could be ammended. I mean...Mike Tyson is a convicted 'naughty person'???

that is because he cuddled someone in a bad way Steffan.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by as1079 Tue 08 May 2012, 6:08 pm

As someone who registered just today, I did so for a couple of reasons. Firstly, the immense knowledge of almost all of the posters. Most of what I know about boxing outside the 21st century has come from this forum. Secondly, I look at other forums, such as Eastside, and I see so many insults, ranging from Chisora-esque death threats to racist behaviour. This forum gets none of that, thankfully.

As for improvements, I do think that the moderation, in the past, has been just slightly heavy-handed (not Rowley though, he's a Yorkshireman so all is good). Just a very minor complaint really.

as1079

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Tue 08 May 2012, 6:29 pm

Welcome as1079, i also followed this forum on from the bbc606 and didn't use forums before then, joined Ringnews24 who WelshDevilRob is a mod on and it has great downloads, good news on all levels of the sport and some good inteviews also.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Tue 08 May 2012, 6:49 pm

I was on the old 606, often enjoyed debating the usually stuff with D4 Laugh moved on to here when it was shut down and people here are friendly and have superb knowledge of the sweet science.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Josef K. Tue 08 May 2012, 7:00 pm

I enjoy the history lessons, many of which have prompted me to conduct my own research. I had never heard of Harry Wills or Charley Burley before I began reading here, now the former is (sometimes) in first place as my favourite old-timer. I'm always learning, love it.

I also rate the balance of the discussion on contemporary and modern boxing. There's actual discussion involved, as opposed to, eg 'are you stupid? Tyson would have killed every fighter in history' which bar the insults is fine, but not with no evidence.

Josef K.

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Tue 08 May 2012, 7:01 pm

There is lots of good arguments on here without personal petty insults.

I would change the rules to ban every Cleverly fan from trying to defend his opponents ;-)
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 08 May 2012, 7:03 pm

I chose this one because reborn is on it!!! raspberry

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Tue 08 May 2012, 7:07 pm

I chose this one because I used to read it everyday in work and think "I'd love to wind Trussman up".

Joking aside, I feel a good sense of community on here, you can have a laugh with the mods and have a decent debate without someone getting racist or what-not (I mean the nasty N word that I read on EastSide all the time).

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Tue 08 May 2012, 7:12 pm

The one thing I would like to hopefully point out as a positive (waiting to be shot down!) is that this forum has a sense of ambition as well.

What I mean by that is that it isnt just a forum but has grander ambitions.

AS I said, maybe thats my ambition for it and doesnt really add anything in reality but I am proud of some of the things we have achieved in just over a year.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 08 May 2012, 7:14 pm

Not sure introducing threads about pink socks is the way to go though...Mate!! Cool

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Tue 08 May 2012, 7:15 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Not sure introducing threads about pink socks is the way to go though...Mate!! Cool

Fair point Laugh

TO be honest, that was my secondary point - I really did want an answer to why the ref wears a bow tie!

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Tue 08 May 2012, 7:46 pm

Wish the Q and A thing would come back. That was ace.

And Truss I knew you loved me due to my Irish beefcakeyness :-)
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Tue 08 May 2012, 9:02 pm

The best thing is that the same people have posted on BBC 606 and now here for years.

The moderation and a number of people having too much control over the forum and setting their personal agendas put me off a bit.

The post rate is a bit slow so more posters would be good.

BBC 606 was more of a battle ground which led to some funny exchanges.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Floyd Louis Tue 08 May 2012, 10:23 pm

Steffan wrote:I chose this forum because it was a natural progression from the old 606. I post on Eastside Boxing now and again but thats mainly in the Lounge part where we talk about women and beer and stuff. I do miss some of the old guys from BBC. I feel it stands out because you can post discuss other sports as well as its not just a boxing forum its a sports forum. One thing I would change......hmm......that swear filter could be ammended. I mean...Mike Tyson is a convicted 'naughty person'???

Other than that I enjoy posting on here even though there are a few people with clear agenda although you would never catch me going down that route ofcourse Very Happy

I second this!

Sugar Floyd Louis

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 09 May 2012, 11:19 am

This really is an excellent forum, far better than any others I have read, with the possible exception of Youtube, which really attracts the cream of boxing fans....

There are a good blend of articles on here that cover all the ages and generations, and most of them stimulate some solid debate. There are some people on here whose knowledge is simply astounding. Some of the 'newer' posters have really made a positive impact as well, although there are some notable absentees at the moment, namely the Captain, Colonial Lion and Scotty who are all greatly missed. Whisper it quietly, but the UCPL also left a big hole when it ended.

One or two members of the moderation team throw their weight around on occasion but it is few and far between and we are all guilty of acting like clowns some of the time, and it must be a thankless task.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 09 May 2012, 11:28 am

Tried eastside a couple of times, but find with forums split into sections, modern, british classic etc I tend to just stick to one section, much prefer a forum with everything on the main page, as you learn more and read stuff you would normally not be exposed to. Also don't much care for forums with no swear filter, is not big or clever and there is only so many times some spotty herbert can threaten to bust a cap in yo'ass before it becomes wearisome.

Appear to have had a few new members recently which is always good but as tina has said the loss of the likes of Captain, colonial jimmy stuart and windy of late is a huge, huge loss

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 09 May 2012, 11:32 am

I forgot about Jimmy. What a lovely guy he is as well as being incredibly knowledgeable. Windy is just on a hiatus though, isn't he? The Captain and Lion have just disappeared completely.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleD22 Wed 09 May 2012, 11:45 am

Big fan of this forum,

I do not get the time to post as much as I like but when i have a bit of time go through most of the posts on here.

As with many others i feel the biggest strength for the forum is the knowledge of many on here. I also feel that with a mixture of age groups signing on you always get a balanced board looking at old timers to modern day.

The only downside is you can have a day when posting is going crazy and then the next day there may be one topic being discussed, but obviously that isn't something that can be dealt with if people aren't on the boards.

DoubleD22

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 09 May 2012, 12:07 pm

Rowley Is right...........A lot of old posters are missing and it has had a negative impact on this site.....

A big reason guys like me came on.....

We'll see how it progresses no doubt...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by RANDY77 Wed 09 May 2012, 12:20 pm

Have any posters noticed the likes of windy posting on other forums?? Seams to be fairly quiet on here recently. Can't really think of a single reason for this though... Any ideas??

RANDY77

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Wed 09 May 2012, 1:44 pm

Pretty much everyone from the old 606 moved over here...

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Wed 09 May 2012, 5:01 pm

Joined the old 606 not too long before it went so jumped ship to here.

The knowledge of many on here is superb and my own knowledge is far, far greater than before I joined.

The articles on some of the older fighters is great as it's not uncommon for there to be not only be a long and interesting read on a fighter but on a fighter I previously never heard of!

I also really like the simplicity of the site and the way it differs from other sites which look like cr@p!

The only negative point is probably that the traffic of posts and threads dies down every so often, which isn't anyone's fault!

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 09 May 2012, 5:06 pm

Valero's Conscience wrote:
The articles on some of the older fighters is great as it's not uncommon for there to be not only be a long and interesting read on a fighter but on a fighter I previously never heard of!

You're most welcome, Valero.

thumbsup

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 09 May 2012, 5:08 pm

It was obvious he was referring to my articles Tina

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 09 May 2012, 5:10 pm

He did say 'interesting' so I assume not.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 09 May 2012, 5:10 pm

Good point missed that, as you were.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Floyd Louis Wed 09 May 2012, 6:36 pm

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:This really is an excellent forum, far better than any others I have read, with the possible exception of Youtube, which really attracts the cream of boxing fans....

There are a good blend of articles on here that cover all the ages and generations, and most of them stimulate some solid debate. There are some people on here whose knowledge is simply astounding. Some of the 'newer' posters have really made a positive impact as well, although there are some notable absentees at the moment, namely the Captain, Colonial Lion and Scotty who are all greatly missed. Whisper it quietly, but the UCPL also left a big hole when it ended.

One or two members of the moderation team throw their weight around on occasion but it is few and far between and we are all guilty of acting like clowns some of the time, and it must be a thankless task.

Hey.. I'm on youtube Very Happy (I have an account lol), suggest some channels to subscribe to. Only boxing related one I'm subscribed to is ES news, they're brilliant and always in gyms and behind the scenes.

Sugar Floyd Louis

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Wed 09 May 2012, 7:07 pm

Bestofbritishboxing channel is fantastic for modern british boxing history- guy got interviews, full fights although you might not thank him for the Johnny Nelson fights.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Floyd Louis Wed 09 May 2012, 8:11 pm

Cheers

Sugar Floyd Louis

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Wed 09 May 2012, 8:28 pm

I migrated over from the Beeb, like many others. I enjoy the forum a lot. Even though I moan a bit. Would like it to have a catchier name so that it attracted even more people.

As for posting elsewhere. I post the odd thing on boxingscene, but it's a madhouse there.

Also, I love Steffan - and agendas

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by azumah HOF Wed 09 May 2012, 9:58 pm

Strongback wrote:The best thing is that the same people have posted on BBC 606 and now here for years.

The moderation and a number of people having too much control over the forum and setting their personal agendas put me off a bit.

The post rate is a bit slow so more posters would be good.

BBC 606 was more of a battle ground which led to some funny exchanges.

The old 606 a Bit of a battle ground Strongy???? .... dont have a bloody clue what you are on about there ole boy!!! Whistle

azumah HOF

Back to top Go down

Post by zx1234 Wed 09 May 2012, 10:14 pm

Hey.. I'm on youtube (I have an account lol), suggest some channels to subscribe to. Only boxing related one I'm subscribed to is ES news, they're brilliant and always in gyms and behind the scenes.

esnews is good, i occassionally watch ukwingchunstudent and bigragu for post fight thoughts

zx1234

http://www.footballbetting365.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by azumah HOF Wed 09 May 2012, 10:16 pm

Ok as an old regular on the former 606 site, where i was graciously decorated on many occasions by my peers finally culminating in my inauguration as a hall of famer poster!, i offer the following views!(that should get Trussy going!)

this is a very good site, although it is no longer my main home or number one choice. The quality and knowledge on here is of a good standard, and in some posters like Stronback, Milky if he is still here, cpatain and windmill, it can be exceptional. Even Truss can now be ranked as a solid journey man a la Evrest bigfoot Martin looool!
No jokes aside, the standard is good. However i am not a big fan of censorship! I love the cut thrust of debate and yes even the heated foul mouth tirade at times. It is great entertainment. And when you loosen the grip you get the weird and wonderful oddities that bring life and colour to a forum. So on Eastside you had the eccentric charlie zelenoff who paraded as a pro no one had ever heard of but had riddick bowe and roy jones et al whooped in his career!! (priceless). So for me on the old forum nothing beat the phenomenal banter when you had the likes of LRR HMS and associated oddballs wrapped in some great jousts. I wish someone saved some of those threads for example in the preamble to Floyd vs Ricky. It was amazing.
However kudos to you guys on this forum, you are doing a wonderful job!

azumah HOF

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed 09 May 2012, 10:52 pm

i'm still here when not changing nappies zoomy... thanks for the compliment though i don't belong in such exalted company.

rowley is right that we appear to have lost some of the great core posters... and he didn't even mention the much missed waingro

The original bbc board was great when it was launched before they rejigged the site and almost everyone moved to boxing banter (which fizzled out i believe), the beeb lost its way for a while and then picked up again. As you say zoomy, the LRR days were laced with koolade on occasion... didn't you get banned in a spat with him?

These things are often cyclical but the beeb had a unique position and would always get fresh blood. Somewhere like here needs to work hard for its punters and like all businesses, they're far easier to lose than attract. I hope it holds its remaining good posters, because some of those mentioned are big losses to the both the quality and volume of debate.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Wed 09 May 2012, 10:55 pm

bbc user and came over to get parenting advice from milkyboy

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed 09 May 2012, 11:14 pm

i'm a leader in many fields shah, many fields

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Wed 09 May 2012, 11:16 pm

milkyboy wrote:i'm a leader in many fields shah, many fields

Are you a dairy farmer then Wink

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Wed 09 May 2012, 11:24 pm

this is the only forum worth while, i joined the 606 of old just before it moved, and try to check in as often as possible- not been on as much recently, mainly due to a new job where i cant spend all day on the web but it always has the same friendly feel as it always does and people are mostly willing to listen to other opinions and there is always words of wisdom mixed in there somewhere. never ever had a single problem with a mod or anything they've done either.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed 09 May 2012, 11:33 pm

ShahenshahG wrote:

oh pull the udder one. i'm a shepherd and ewe are but one of my flock

I trust all is good with your latest lamb?

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Wed 09 May 2012, 11:39 pm

milkyboy wrote:
ShahenshahG wrote:

i see where this thread is going and i think its a mooosive mistake to be honest

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Wed 09 May 2012, 11:48 pm

milkyboy wrote:
ShahenshahG wrote:

Fleece as white as snow but she is abroad and I am mssing her like hell. I even want the wife back because theres only so many times you can eat kebab sandwiches Laugh are yours back yet?

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by gsd5cc0 Thu 10 May 2012, 12:08 am

I've been a long time reader of this forum but a very rare poster
Followed this site over since the old bbc 606. The amount of things I have learned about fighters from years gone by that i didn't know anything about(cheers rowley!) is really brilliant. Not to mention that this place is good for keeping up to date on latest boxing news.
Anyway keep up the great work, this site keeps me sane during those long boring shifts at work. Very Happy

gsd5cc0

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Floyd Louis Thu 10 May 2012, 1:11 am

Someone give me some links to some classic boxing threads on the old 606, some funny ones too Smile

Sugar Floyd Louis

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Thu 10 May 2012, 1:33 am

there were some crackers. Rememebr Shenglong, hahaha

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 10 May 2012, 5:44 am

Didnt post much on the old 606 but I always read it, thought to myself I should maybe start posting when this site started and not regretted it.

One thing I think we could do more of is more posters.

Ive been guilty of it recently, reading having my own opinion but not sharing it, more activity from the browsers I guess is where I'm headed.

Pidk this over the rest due to it not having annoying kids that can't even spell the word debate unlike other forums such as Eastside.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Thu 10 May 2012, 7:17 am

Its great to get feedback guys OK

I would implore all of you "browsers"/ "lurkers" to join in though.

The mantra was always the same at the beginning - the forum/ debate is only as good as its members. And although we have had to have tough love in the moderation at times, the boxing section is now in a place where little moderation is needed (no thats not a challenge!)

As for the new members, we are trying various things but due to certain real world issues, we havent managed to be as active as we would have liked.

I would implore all of you though to tell others who might be interested to join - whether thats in person, through facebook or twitter.

Thanks for the support so far though.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Thu 10 May 2012, 12:14 pm

i joined from 606. seemed like a logical choice although i'd like it if more people joined of the readers posted their thoughts.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next