The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is it really realistic for Manny to insist on 50/50 split?

+15
Atila
Knowsit17
John Bloody Wayne
ShahenshahG
NathanDB10
Nico the gman
Strongback
RANDY77
azania
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
Imperial Ghosty
paperbag_puncher
compelling and rich
hampo17
azumah HOF
19 posters

Go down

Is it really realistic for Manny to insist on 50/50 split? Empty Is it really realistic for Manny to insist on 50/50 split?

Post by azumah HOF Sat 12 May 2012, 9:26 am

The numbers are in!
Cotto Mayweather generated 1.5 million ppv buys grossing $94 million... And this number will grow once all numbers are in.
This makes the ppv the second largest non heavyweight bout ever, scond only to Dela Hoya vs Mayweather.

The Neveda commission are also reporting that the gate is the 9th largest in history for the state, over $12.

In nine HBO PPV main events, Mayweather has generated 9.6 million buys and $543 million in television revenue, according to HBO(according to ESPN).

It is clear that Floyd has a point when he says he is the biggest financial draw in boxing, this seems undisputable. My question thus is whether it is realistic, legitimate or feasible for Manny to demand a 50/50 split? If you were Floyd would you accept a 50/50 split? Is Floyd being greedy and denying the fans the fight, or is this just simple financial common sense that anyone would apply for themselves in any financial negotiation?

azumah HOF

Back to top Go down

Is it really realistic for Manny to insist on 50/50 split? Empty Re: Is it really realistic for Manny to insist on 50/50 split?

Post by hampo17 Sat 12 May 2012, 9:35 am

I think when we see the numbers for Mannys fight against Bradley we will have a better understanding, however I would be looking at 60-40 or 65-35 if I was Floyd, he brings the money in and either way Manny is going to get a career high pay day.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Is it really realistic for Manny to insist on 50/50 split? Empty Re: Is it really realistic for Manny to insist on 50/50 split?

Post by Guest Sat 12 May 2012, 9:38 am

There comes a point when you can't spend the money you've earned and I think Floyd passed that point some time ago. If he insists that NEEDS more than Manny I'd be inclined to think Floyd is simply putting up barriers. He's likely to earn well over $50 million for the fight. Does he really need $60 million?

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Sat 12 May 2012, 9:41 am

It's more of a mental game when it comes down to this though Dave, if he excepts 50/50 then he's showing Manny he sees him as his equal, if he demands and eventually gets more money then Floyd has won that mental battle in showing Manny that actually he is the bigger draw.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by azumah HOF Sat 12 May 2012, 9:56 am

DAVE667 wrote:There comes a point when you can't spend the money you've earned and I think Floyd passed that point some time ago. If he insists that NEEDS more than Manny I'd be inclined to think Floyd is simply putting up barriers. He's likely to earn well over $50 million for the fight. Does he really need $60 million?
Dave i just wonder though what we would do in the same situation. Some of you guys here i am guessing are business men or work for companies where you have to negotiate deals, failing that many people would have had to negotiate in some kind of contractual situation, might be buying or selling a house or car. I always think it is a great test to try and bring these issues to a personal level and then understand the grander scale these guys are on. My point is if you went into any negotiating situation in your life and you knew you held the stronger cards, more so cards that are legitimately backed up with cast iron evidence, would you really negotiate yourself a weaker position in the final deal!!!
Is this realistic? Are we thus putting a wholly unfair expectation on Floyd. As for him having more money than he can spend, not sure this is a valid point? What is enough? yes it certainly would be more than enough for me, but the world id full of far richer men than Floyd, the Bill Gates of this world, Who are all looking for few dollars more!

azumah HOF

Back to top Go down

Post by azumah HOF Sat 12 May 2012, 10:00 am

hampo171 wrote:I think when we see the numbers for Mannys fight against Bradley we will have a better understanding, however I would be looking at 60-40 or 65-35 if I was Floyd, he brings the money in and either way Manny is going to get a career high pay day.

Hampo sir with all due respect i think we all know that Manny vs Bradley is not going to make a dent in these figures. Manny's ppv career to date is clear to see..... good figures but not matching Floyd's.... even when compared to mutual foes like the cash cow himself Dela Hoya, Floyd's numbers against Dela Hoya trounced Manny's!

It is fair to say that Floyd is by some distance the ppv draw..... so where does this leave negotiations?!

azumah HOF

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Sat 12 May 2012, 10:03 am

i think mayweather is always going to do better than manny in amercia, what we dont know is how much does manny pull in from asia? as football has shown theres a massive market over there, while boxing isnt as big as football there must be some money coming from there.

either way i dont see why it shouldnt be 50/50, either way by either is purely greed and arguing much to do about nothing. it gives either the chance not to fight each other otherwise and gods knows these two dont need any more excuses

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by paperbag_puncher Sat 12 May 2012, 10:07 am

Is it realistic to hope that Azumah's next article isn't one about how PBF is clearly superior to Manny?

Joking aside I'm with Dave on this one. Floyds always harping on about giving the fans what they want. Well for the past few years theres been only one fight that the fans have wanted. He'd earn more money than he ever has, give the sport a welcome boost and add to his legacy no end. I think we both agree that Floyd beats Manny fairly handily so I just don't see why money should be an obstacle to this fight happening.

Lets not forget that in these fights that Floyd does great numbers hes had a fairly sellable marketable fella in the other corner. Its not all about him.

paperbag_puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sat 12 May 2012, 10:13 am

C and R

The buying market which ultimately is all that matters is strongly with Mayweather, more may watch Pacquiao in areas such as Asia but that audience doesn't bring any money to the table for him, all his fights are free to air in the phillipines for instance.

Cotto, Marquez, Mosley, De La Hoya and Hatton are all mutual opponents of the pair with Mayweather doing better figures for each and every one of them, that to me suggests he is the difference between huge numbers and very huge numbers.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Sat 12 May 2012, 10:19 am

Imperial Ghosty wrote:C and R

The buying market which ultimately is all that matters is strongly with Mayweather, more may watch Pacquiao in areas such as Asia but that audience doesn't bring any money to the table for him, all his fights are free to air in the phillipines for instance.

Cotto, Marquez, Mosley, De La Hoya and Hatton are all mutual opponents of the pair with Mayweather doing better figures for each and every one of them, that to me suggests he is the difference between huge numbers and very huge numbers.

but surely places like the phillipines have to pay show the fight whether its hbo, showtime etc. froch will get a cut from sky for the bute fight even though thats not ppv

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Sat 12 May 2012, 10:20 am

compelling and rich wrote:

but surely places like the phillipines have to pay to show the fight whether its hbo, showtime etc. froch will get a cut from sky for the bute fight even though thats not ppv

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Sat 12 May 2012, 10:20 am

[quote="compelling and rich"][quote="compelling and rich"]

but surely places like the phillipines have to pay to show the fight whether its hbo, showtime etc. froch will get a cut from sky for the bute fight even though thats not ppv

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by azumah HOF Sat 12 May 2012, 10:27 am

paperbag_puncher wrote:Is it realistic to hope that Azumah's next article isn't one about how PBF is clearly superior to Manny?

Joking aside I'm with Dave on this one. Floyds always harping on about giving the fans what they want. Well for the past few years theres been only one fight that the fans have wanted. He'd earn more money than he ever has, give the sport a welcome boost and add to his legacy no end. I think we both agree that Floyd beats Manny fairly handily so I just don't see why money should be an obstacle to this fight happening.

Lets not forget that in these fights that Floyd does great numbers hes had a fairly sellable marketable fella in the other corner. Its not all about him.

Paper apologies for asking the legitimate questions! I know ur response was partly tongue in cheek, but i feel that if we are denied this great fight we the fans have to call the relevant participants to account. As you know i am now an infrequent contributor here but I am keen to see the right questions being asked. Lets also not forget, as my history on the old 606 forum would show that i am a big Manny fan, just a bigger Floyd fan (i think both positions are sustainable!)
I feel the last poster answered your question excellently on on the idea of Floyds figures being based on the opponent. Simply in every mutual foe they have had Floyds numbers have swamped Manny's, and floyd has generated big figures with the likes of Ortiz. As Richard Schaeffer says this seems to suggest that Floyd more than any other boxer in recent times has broken through the boxing fan market into a mainstream following!

azumah HOF

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sat 12 May 2012, 10:29 am

I can't imagine that the Phillipine market brings in much money if i'm honest, when you're talking about a fight that will gross over $200mil it's negligible.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azumah HOF Sat 12 May 2012, 10:33 am

[quote="compelling and rich"][quote="compelling and rich"]
compelling and rich wrote:

C n R
whilst worlwide tv sales might figure in the renumeration for the boxers, ppv fights are of a completely different order and magnitude. Hence this is why they are only accorded to fights or fighters who have the ability to bring in the worldwide audiences and accompanying monetary value. Asking fans to pay to view at source is a totally different dynamic and is doen on the basis of marketability. The point is that in the regions where ppv is applicable you expect to maximise profits based on a confidence that you have a thoroughly marketable produce! on this basis and judging from the history of ppv Floyd is currently unrivalled. if i was in that position i am sure i would want it to count for a lot in negotiations!

azumah HOF

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sat 12 May 2012, 10:35 am

I don't think it should be 50/50. I guess on principle they should both get 50% but in reality the guy who makes the most money gets the bigger purse.

Floyd is the PPV king by a bit. The number say be similar also, but floyds purses are considerably better. He charges $64.99 per buy compared to $54.99 per but from nanny meaning that when they match up in PPV buys floyd makes more. E also doesn't pay so much to others, like manny does to arum.

Oscar got more than floyd, Tyson got more than Holyfield, cotto for more than margarito, floyd got more than cotto. Throughout history the PPV star gets the bigger purse

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Sat 12 May 2012, 10:49 am

i understand that ppv is easily equated to, but my point was its slighty harsh on manny comparing american ppv buys against a amercian. of course is mayweather is going to get most, and i dont doubt he's the biggest draw in boxing but slightly unfair as we dont know what people pull in from world wide revenue.

arreloa gets more ppv buys in amercia than the k's brothers, that means nothing though other than amercia are more intrested in watching amercians

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sat 12 May 2012, 10:55 am

When the fight is going to be held in America where the big money is it becomes a major issue that Mayweather is the bigger draw there. The world wide revenue would be miniscule compared to what the fight makes in America, being american or not Mayweather deserves a bigger share.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sat 12 May 2012, 10:57 am

Here's my take. This is a unification fight therefore the purse splits should be 50/50. But the splits from the PPV should favour Floyd as he brings more onto the table.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sat 12 May 2012, 11:01 am

Another point to ponder is whether Mayweather would pay the sanctioning fee to the WBO, I was surprised when he did it against Cotto but that had the feel of proving a point that he was a 2 time legitimate 154lb world champion. Don't think he'd want the WBO belt but may want it just because it's Mannys.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by RANDY77 Sat 12 May 2012, 11:02 am

DAVE667 wrote:There comes a point when you can't spend the money you've earned and I think Floyd passed that point some time ago. If he insists that NEEDS more than Manny I'd be inclined to think Floyd is simply putting up barriers. He's likely to earn well over $50 million for the fight. Does he really need $60 million?

I think you have hit the nail on the head inadvertently here Dave. Both these fighters are already unable to spend the money they have earned, which has lead to boxing enthusiasts still craving a fight I never think will happen.

RANDY77

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sat 12 May 2012, 12:09 pm

Alright Zoomy hope you're keeping well.

I guess people know that when they buya Mayweather fight they believe they are going to see some sublime boxing. Floyd's style is very pleasing to watch and, you know, watching Floyd v Cotto made me realise there is a vast gulf in viewing experience between that fight and the majrity of fightes I watch. It's not really that surprising Mayweather sells so much PPV. That and his lip.

Floyd does deserve a bigger slice of the pie but there is also the fact that the actual fight is bigger than Floyd and Manny as individuals combined. Its the fight that is making this mega huge and less so the fighters. This fight has become the Holy Grail. If it goes ahead half the planet will want to know the result.

Make it 55% to Floyd, 45% to Manny and just get it on.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Sat 12 May 2012, 1:10 pm

The fight is regarded as the biggest showdown in boxing, therefore the purse should be 50/50.

If Mayweather believes Arum is taking any less than 50/50 for his fighter, he better wake up and smell the coffee.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by NathanDB10 Sat 12 May 2012, 2:06 pm

I think given the scale of Pac's achievements and the fact that regardless of what Mayweather says, it is THE fight people expect the two to make, I think the magnitude of the whole thing ensures that 50/50 is reasonable.

Mayweather can talk about how his past PPV recors are better than Manny's, but as others have said, there are one or two caveats to that.

The way I would do it is have something like 40/40 with the remaining 10 going to the winner. That takes all the politics out of the equation doesn't it?

NathanDB10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 12 May 2012, 2:11 pm

Nathan....Make it 40/40 with the winner getting the remaining 20%.

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sat 12 May 2012, 2:12 pm

You should go into politics with maths like that Laugh. Seriousy though I'd agree with you. 40% a piece and 20% to the winner

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by NathanDB10 Sat 12 May 2012, 2:22 pm

ShahenshahG wrote:You should go into politics with maths like that Laugh. Seriousy though I'd agree with you. 40% a piece and 20% to the winner

Doh

Never did like maths.

NathanDB10

Back to top Go down

Post by azumah HOF Sat 12 May 2012, 4:20 pm

Strongback wrote:Alright Zoomy hope you're keeping well.

I guess people know that when they buya Mayweather fight they believe they are going to see some sublime boxing. Floyd's style is very pleasing to watch and, you know, watching Floyd v Cotto made me realise there is a vast gulf in viewing experience between that fight and the majrity of fightes I watch. It's not really that surprising Mayweather sells so much PPV. That and his lip.

Floyd does deserve a bigger slice of the pie but there is also the fact that the actual fight is bigger than Floyd and Manny as individuals combined. Its the fight that is making this mega huge and less so the fighters. This fight has become the Holy Grail. If it goes ahead half the planet will want to know the result.

Make it 55% to Floyd, 45% to Manny and just get it on.

Strongy ole boy! nice to see you still going strong. My feeling is simply that when your the top draw you make the top dollars, when Ali and Tyson were the top draw they earned the top dollars. Lets remember that Floyd has been on the opposite side of this before with Oscar and had to make the slight concessions towards Oscar!

azumah HOF

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sat 12 May 2012, 4:31 pm

DAVE667 wrote:Nathan....Make it 40/40 with the winner getting the remaining 20%.

How come this isn't more common? It seems perfect.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Sat 12 May 2012, 6:06 pm

50/50 makes perfect sense to me. Manny has been p4p #1 for a good couple of years now so why not? If that was Mayweather he'd probably be demanding 70-30. Add to that that Mayweather has stirred up a lot of comotion with his antics outside the ring and that Manny has beaten Mayweather's opponents far more convincingly and in more exciting fashion.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by azumah HOF Sat 12 May 2012, 6:16 pm

Knowsit17 wrote:50/50 makes perfect sense to me. Manny has been p4p #1 for a good couple of years now so why not? If that was Mayweather he'd probably be demanding 70-30. Add to that that Mayweather has stirred up a lot of comotion with his antics outside the ring and that Manny has beaten Mayweather's opponents far more convincingly and in more exciting fashion.

Knowsit this is not factually correct.... Everytime Floyd has popped up after a hiatus the p4p title has been hotly disputed and after the Ortiz fight Floyd was reinstated by Ring mag, currently Ring mag has them as joint top, sporting illustrated has them Floyd as number one.
Secondly being rated p4p no 1 does not equate to you being the biggest financial draw necessarily, so Hagler has been p4p no 1 when ray leonard , duran were the bigger draws, and we have seen the likes of Larry Holmes also top the p4p ratings and not necessarily the financial stakes!

azumah HOF

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sat 12 May 2012, 7:17 pm

Mosley- Dealt with in better fashion than Mayweather
Marquez- Dealt with in better fashion than Mayweather
De La Hoya- Mayweather fought a far better version
Hatton- Contentious as to how much he lost by the time Pacquiao got to him
Cotto- Pacquiao i'll admit but weight stipulations hurt the win

Don't think Pacquiao has dealt with their mutual opponents better in any shape or form if i'm honest and would give the edge to Mayweather on that, as for exciting that's personal opinion.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Sat 12 May 2012, 7:33 pm

RANDY77 wrote:

I think you have hit the nail on the head inadvertently here Dave. Both these fighters are already unable to spend the money they have earned, which has lead to boxing enthusiasts still craving a fight I never think will happen.
Neither of you guys have heard of Mike Tyson then? A guy who reportedly earned $300,000,000 during his career and still ended up broke.

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sat 12 May 2012, 7:37 pm

Atila wrote:
RANDY77 wrote:

Neither of you guys have heard of Mike Tyson then? A guy who reportedly earned $300,000,000 during his career and still ended up broke.

Floyd has invested his money wisely and he will be getting a 7 digit income per annum for as long as he lives.

Of course he could spend it or gamble it away. If that happens I wonder if Beiber and Fiddy would still be carrying his belts?

As for Manny he will probably be ok also.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 12 May 2012, 9:09 pm

I think Manny should get 50%....... for sure yes......

Sure Mayweather did big numbers but I'm sure a lot had to do with Mosley, Cotto and the new up and coming Mexican Chavez clone....

Also for the fact Manny is a huge name himself and has been the top man in Boxing for the majority of the last 5 years p4p wise according to most magazines/experts..

Waste of time arguing with you about it though.. you're OBSESSED.....

Also deserves 50% for staying out of jail and having more class......

Mayweather sales are dependent on the name in the other corner plus other factors.........as are Manny's!!!

Does Manny need Floyd nope.....
Does Floyd need Manny nope......

50% sounds fair...............

Just wished you were more objective on the Matter Azumah.......

You're a great read except when it comes to Floyd..........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by paperbag_puncher Sat 12 May 2012, 9:33 pm

azumah HOF wrote:
paperbag_puncher wrote:Is it realistic to hope that Azumah's next article isn't one about how PBF is clearly superior to Manny?

Paper apologies for asking the legitimate questions! I know ur response was partly tongue in cheek, but i feel that if we are denied this great fight we the fans have to call the relevant participants to account. As you know i am now an infrequent contributor here but I am keen to see the right questions being asked. Lets also not forget, as my history on the old 606 forum would show that i am a big Manny fan, just a bigger Floyd fan (i think both positions are sustainable!)
I feel the last poster answered your question excellently on on the idea of Floyds figures being based on the opponent. Simply in every mutual foe they have had Floyds numbers have swamped Manny's, and floyd has generated big figures with the likes of Ortiz. As Richard Schaeffer says this seems to suggest that Floyd more than any other boxer in recent times has broken through the boxing fan market into a mainstream following!

My response was a bit tongue in cheek. But I still think that with a fight as big as this on the line both parties should have compromised, stopped the dick measuring and gave the fans what they wanted. They'll both earn more in this than in any other fight so they should just accept the 50%. Once they fight it will be established once and for all whos the better man. Whatever edge Mayweather has with sales isn't enough to not have made this fight. At this point though I'm not as excited about the fight as I think Mannys been sliding and Mayweather wins handily enough.

As I said I was being a bit tongue in cheek about you always posting the same thing. But as you don't post much would be nice to hear a bit of variety. I remember you doing a great pre fight analysis of Hatton V Pacquaio and a nice Tim Bradley article. Jazz it up I'm a fan thumbsup

paperbag_puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by azumah HOF Sat 12 May 2012, 9:42 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:I think Manny should get 50%....... for sure yes......

Sure Mayweather did big numbers but I'm sure a lot had to do with Mosley, Cotto and the new up and coming Mexican Chavez clone....

Also for the fact Manny is a huge name himself and has been the top man in Boxing for the majority of the last 5 years p4p wise according to most magazines/experts..

Waste of time arguing with you about it though.. you're OBSESSED.....

Also deserves 50% for staying out of jail and having more class......

Mayweather sales are dependent on the name in the other corner plus other factors.........as are Manny's!!!

Does Manny need Floyd nope.....

50% sounds fair...............

Just wished you were more objective on the Matter Azumah.......

You're a great read except when it comes to Floyd..........

One thing remains for sure Truss, i had wished as the years go by you would gain some greater acumen!!! well it seems that one can only hope!
Your analysis is soooo lazy for a a self professed expert!!!

"Does Manny need Floyd nope.....

50% sounds fair..............."

I mean what in god's name is that!!! the reason you find the argument inane is simply because you approach it in such a playground kiss chase manner! For god's sake if a self professed boxing guru cannot/does not understand the economies of scale and the financial imperative behind modern boxing then you need to switch to being an expert on judo! Just a quick 101(although i dont know why i am bothering), Ali is to blame because he changed this sport monetarily and redefined the role of money and TV in boxing. Since him the person who is the cash cow in boxing has become arguably more important for the sport and its survival than who is the best boxer. Once in a while these two positions happily co-exist! The reason this debate is pertinent is that this is simply the way it is now in boxing, this is the real politik of the sport. For all of you who think this can easily be swept aside or put forward some other simplistic notions on how the fight is made..... well wake up and smell the coffee! As for you Truss i suggest you absent yourself from those obsessed on Floyd vs Manny and concentrate Cliff Lazerenko's greatest check outs! Someone might actually turn round and accuse you of a Donald Curry or Larry Holmes obsession Doh

azumah HOF

Back to top Go down

Post by azumah HOF Sat 12 May 2012, 9:47 pm

paperbag_puncher wrote:
azumah HOF wrote:

My response was a bit tongue in cheek. But I still think that with a fight as big as this on the line both parties should have compromised, stopped the dick measuring and gave the fans what they wanted. They'll both earn more in this than in any other fight so they should just accept the 50%. Once they fight it will be established once and for all whos the better man. Whatever edge Mayweather has with sales isn't enough to not have made this fight. At this point though I'm not as excited about the fight as I think Mannys been sliding and Mayweather wins handily enough.

As I said I was being a bit tongue in cheek about you always posting the same thing. But as you don't post much would be nice to hear a bit of variety. I remember you doing a great pre fight analysis of Hatton V Pacquaio and a nice Tim Bradley article. Jazz it up I'm a fan thumbsup

Thanks paper. You will find a bigger array of my thoughts on Eastside! I will be writing here soon though on Manny vs Bradley. As you know i have supported Bradley as the next one up from early in his career! I am just waiting to gain as much as i can from his pre fight camp before i stick my neck out..... i might have some contentious stuff to say!!!

azumah HOF

Back to top Go down

Post by paperbag_puncher Sat 12 May 2012, 9:58 pm

Not a huge fan of Eastside even though there are some quality articles on there. Wrote an article on here tentatively tipping Bradley to beat Manny. I'll definitely be backing him anyway at the prices so probably won't find your article too contentious.

paperbag_puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by azumah HOF Sat 12 May 2012, 10:01 pm

paperbag_puncher wrote:Not a huge fan of Eastside even though there are some quality articles on there. Wrote an article on here tentatively tipping Bradley to beat Manny. I'll definitely be backing him anyway at the prices so probably won't find your article too contentious.

yeh its definitely a less genteel environment on Eastside!!! but you know i love a good ole scrap!!! I tink your hunch on Tim might just be write but i wanna see his mental prep first! if he comes in wearing the Hagler War baseball cap(metaphorically) he can do this!

azumah HOF

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 12 May 2012, 10:21 pm

Manny is there for the taking but unless Bradley does a convincing job, he'll get screwed. If JMM can't get the nod then Tim won't get it either

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sat 12 May 2012, 10:30 pm

Zoomy... my perspective is that PAC may actually be a more popular fighter than mayweather, certainly world wide. I suspect that a lot of people who pay to watch mayweather are tuning in, in the hope he gets flattened. The pantomime villain is always a good draw as he pulls both fans and detractors. In the case of floyd v manny, people believe that manny has a chance, it will pull great numbers because of that. So floyd pulls the bigger numbers but doesn't necessarily have more fans. This is a subjective viewpoint, and I offer no evidence to support it!

Consequently, whilst your argument on pay per view draw is fair, I think there are extenuating circumstances here. It's not about who is the bigger name or draw, the numbers will be huge because it will be the best fighting the best, and will be enhanced because manny is perceived as having a genuine chance. I think given the whole in this case is greater than the sum of the parts, there is a reasonable case for a 50:50 split, though I accept the norm would be the lions share to the bigger historical draw

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sat 12 May 2012, 10:39 pm

Bradley very under-rated in general on here I think... Interesting fight, manny likes guys who come to him so in principle bradley should suit him. The big question is, has pac been on the slide of late or has it been style match up issues. I suspect a bit of both. Manny 3 years ago would be strong favourite but now, im not sure

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by PPVxHOTTY Sat 12 May 2012, 10:47 pm

I think one crucial point here is Team Pacman are known recently for hand picking 'in house' Top Rank fighters, Mayweather is his own man, Pacman listens to whatever uncle Bob says. If Pacman was his own man he would have some bargaining power over Floyd, its Mayweathers past with Arum which is obviously stopping this fight.

As for the original question I believe Mayweather has every right to demand the higher share, regardless of past opponents and way of victories Mayweather has a point which is backed up with figures 'facts'.

PPVxHOTTY

Back to top Go down

Post by RANDY77 Sat 12 May 2012, 11:35 pm

azania wrote:
Atila wrote:
RANDY77 wrote:

Floyd has invested his money wisely and he will be getting a 7 digit income per annum for as long as he lives.

Of course he could spend it or gamble it away. If that happens I wonder if Beiber and Fiddy would still be carrying his belts?

As for Manny he will probably be ok also.

Exactly, the fighters in question are Manny and Mayweather, two fighters that are known not to have squandered their fortunes (Manny gives alot of money to his fellow countrymen but is still considered very wealthy), therefore the amount Tyson won and lost in the last 20+ years makes no difference whatsoever to my post.

RANDY77

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim Sting Sun 13 May 2012, 10:15 am

In the last year or so, I feel there is little doubt that Flloyd's stock has risen while Manny's has started to diminish to a degree.
I agree that it is totally reasonable for Flloyd given the position he is in to expect a greater share than 50/50.

I know he's rich beyond our wildest dreams, etc, but to expand on one of Azumah's earlier points - if you were running a business and had a product that you considered to be worth $80m, would you enter into a partnership with another business to bring it to market agreeing a deal for $60m simply because it was something that the public wanted/needed?

We can debate the rights and wrongs that have prevented this fight being made to date (and have done), and it has left something of a sour taste in the mouth of fight fans, but it seems to me at least that there is now a single obstacle remaining and that is Bob Arum - not Floyd.

Jim Sting

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down