The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

cuthbert signs a new contract with the blues

+4
whocares
Brendan
dogtooth
ieuan
8 posters

Go down

cuthbert signs a new contract with the blues Empty cuthbert signs a new contract with the blues

Post by ieuan Wed 16 May 2012, 12:52 pm

Alex Cuthbert has signed a new one year contract with the blues.

Although it is good Cardiff have manged to keep him for another year it doesn't look good that he has only signed for a year. I'm sure Cardiff would of wanted to him to sign a longer contract, which to me suggests he thinks he can get an even better deal out of them in a years time or wants one ore year to cement the number 14 shirt for wales before he gets his pay check in France

ieuan

Back to top Go down

cuthbert signs a new contract with the blues Empty Re: cuthbert signs a new contract with the blues

Post by dogtooth Wed 16 May 2012, 1:19 pm

i am very pleased for the blues and wales (and cuffbutt) that he has signed for the blues.

a year contract sounds about right. he is still very new and isnt by any means the finished article. if he kicks on next season he could become one of rugby's hottest properties.

i saw him driving a new shinny red rag top in cardiff just after the grand slam. maybe he doest want to trade it in for a wrong-side drive car just yet.

good post, ieuan. i thought i was going to be offered a copy-paste bbc article.

have 5* or Ale
dogtooth
dogtooth

Back to top Go down

cuthbert signs a new contract with the blues Empty Re: cuthbert signs a new contract with the blues

Post by Brendan Wed 16 May 2012, 1:35 pm

This is the sceptic in me but I wonder if he was told he hadn't proved himself and come back when he had a second year to back it up, or as you say he things he can get more next year.

It seems unusual to me that a young player signs a 1 year deal who isn't a bit player

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by dogtooth Wed 16 May 2012, 1:40 pm

brendan.

i heard a rugby agent on the radio some time ago. he said he wouldnt advise an up-and-commer to sign for more than a year.

cuff is keeping his options open, but so are the blues. what if the cuff enjoys his shinny red rag top more than rugby and fails to kik on.

second seasons are tricky things. it is the cuff's make or break year. better to do it at the blues than in frog land

my my, my lunch beer is really kikin in
dogtooth
dogtooth

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Wed 16 May 2012, 1:49 pm

dogtooth wrote:i saw him driving a new shinny red rag top in cardiff just after the grand slam. maybe he doesnt want to trade it in for a wrong-side drive car just yet.

its ok , Toulon give free Wolkswagen Touaregs to new players anyway.

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Wed 16 May 2012, 1:52 pm

dogtooth wrote:brendan.

i heard a rugby agent on the radio some time ago. he said he wouldnt advise an up-and-commer to sign for more than a year.

cuff is keeping his options open, but so are the blues. what if the cuff enjoys his shinny red rag top more than rugby and fails to kik on.

second seasons are tricky things. it is the cuff's make or break year. better to do it at the blues than in frog land

my my, my lunch beer is really kikin in

We I think that is what he was told by the english/french clubs. I just think the blues would have taken a punt and got two years one one and one if he makes a certain level.

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Wed 16 May 2012, 2:08 pm

He'll be off after one year. This is the type of the player you want to be contracting up until 2015.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Wed 16 May 2012, 2:16 pm

any idea what money his new contract is, wasn't his old one 5k or something stupid.

How was he for the blues as a whole. Is he patchy or he is consistent. Lots of players seem to be massive for Wales but not so much for region and Irish the opposite.

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Wed 16 May 2012, 2:28 pm

He wasn't consistent towards the end of the year (but still scored tries), he started to look like his old self again in the last 2/3 games. His form was obviously very good at the start of the season and it lead to his call-ups for Wales. That old contract was a development one.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Wed 16 May 2012, 3:53 pm

Brendan wrote:any idea what money his new contract is, wasn't his old one 5k or something stupid.

How was he for the blues as a whole. Is he patchy or he is consistent. Lots of players seem to be massive for Wales but not so much for region and Irish the opposite.

Second highest try scorer in the pro12 with 10 tries and a few in Europe aswell.

Not bad for a first season.

He still has a lot of work to do on his game, but he is one of the most natural finishers I have seen.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by ieuan Wed 16 May 2012, 4:39 pm

Thanks dogtooth.

Cardiff should of snapped him up on a two year deal before he was even selected for the game against Australia that way they could of easily of got him on a two year deal for very cheap instead they waited to long he got picked for wales and his market value went sky high and now he is in position to demand a massive wage and a one year contract so ext year he can do the same or go off to France.

I don't think it helps the blues that they have lost a lot of players this season and wont be as competitive.

ieuan

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Wed 16 May 2012, 5:15 pm

ieuan wrote:Thanks dogtooth.

Cardiff should of snapped him up on a two year deal before he was even selected for the game against Australia that way they could of easily of got him on a two year deal for very cheap instead they waited to long he got picked for wales and his market value went sky high and now he is in position to demand a massive wage and a one year contract so ext year he can do the same or go off to France.

I don't think it helps the blues that they have lost a lot of players this season and wont be as competitive.

They offered him a contract in the autumn, he refused it.

The Blues have lost 3 regular first teamers Gethin, Laulaula and TRT - They are potentially gaining 4, Tovey, Lou Reed, Bourrust and Rees (the last 2 are not confirmed)
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Wed 16 May 2012, 6:07 pm

Rees, as in Matthew?
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Wed 16 May 2012, 6:18 pm

Morgannwg wrote:Rees, as in Matthew?

Possibly

Last edited by wales606 on Wed 16 May 2012, 7:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Wed 16 May 2012, 7:31 pm

His new contract will probably be six figures, that's the reported sum that's been on offer all this time while he was contemplating his options.

Great news for the Blues and Wales.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Wed 16 May 2012, 7:33 pm

Hopefully after this year the WRU can afford to centrally contract him? hehe.

Rees would be a mammoth signing for Blues. Good on him if he does switch.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 17 May 2012, 9:26 am

To be honest I think it is probably a 1 year deal so Cuthbert can see what else is about next season, and also to enable to Blues to put the best possible financial deal on the table.

It is a gamble though. If he has a poor second season, which most players seem to when their strengths have been assessed, and their weaknesses get really exposed, he may well find that he has less offers on the table, and probably less money thrown at him too.

As regard to Smiler, it is rumours at the moment (the same as numerous welsh players liked with the Blues over the years). However I do believe he has been given permission to talk to other sides, but he does have a year to run on his contract. IMO it owuld be good for him, the Blues, Ken Owens, and possibly the Scarlets (freeing up some dosh) if he does sign for the Blues.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down