The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How can a boxer's fitness be comparably tested against athletes of other sports

+7
Imperial Ghosty
Scottrf
D4thincarnation
STC
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
azania
GeoffSnapes
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

How can a boxer's fitness be comparably tested against athletes of other sports - Page 2 Empty How can a boxer's fitness be comparably tested against athletes of other sports

Post by GeoffSnapes Mon 04 Apr 2011, 6:32 pm

First topic message reminder :

I'm looking to put a fitness challenge together where sports people, of similar levels but from the disciplines of boxing, football, rugby (union and league), athletics, cycling, rowing, distance running, tennis, basketball, squash, badminton and triathlon can undertake a series of fitness tests to see who comes out on top. Has anyone got suggestions to what fitness tests I could include to determine various levels of fitness between sports? I thank you in advance for your help Very Happy

GeoffSnapes

http://www.konkura.com/

Back to top Go down

How can a boxer's fitness be comparably tested against athletes of other sports - Page 2 Empty Re: How can a boxer's fitness be comparably tested against athletes of other sports

Post by STC Thu 07 Apr 2011, 9:52 am

Scottrf wrote:I think (hopefully without too much presumption on my part) that STC sees fitness in it's relevant context as readiness for the sport the athlete competes in.
I think you're the only one agreeing with me, Scott.
STC
STC

Back to top Go down

How can a boxer's fitness be comparably tested against athletes of other sports - Page 2 Empty Re: How can a boxer's fitness be comparably tested against athletes of other sports

Post by HumanWindmill Thu 07 Apr 2011, 9:54 am

Let me say from the get go that I am utterly ignorant of modern diet and conditioning, but I agree with STC.

Our bodies ' learn ' how to do the things we demand of them, and find the easiest way to do them. The process is invisible, but it is there. How difficult was it for us to coordinate the driving of a car when we first tried ? We now practise the same skills with minimal effort because the body has learned and absorbed the techniques required.

The fittest person in the world who has never run a marathon will likely not win one, because he will expend more effort than a less fit person who has run two hundred of them.

Just my twopennyworth.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by STC Thu 07 Apr 2011, 10:09 am

HumanWindmill wrote:The fittest person in the world who has never run a marathon will likely not win one, because he will expend more effort than a less fit person who has run two hundred of them.
Is that some sort of Chinese proverb?

I like it.
STC
STC

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Thu 07 Apr 2011, 10:18 am

STC wrote:
HumanWindmill wrote:The fittest person in the world who has never run a marathon will likely not win one, because he will expend more effort than a less fit person who has run two hundred of them.
Is that some sort of Chinese proverb?

I like it.

From the Windy Dynasty, I believe.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 07 Apr 2011, 8:30 pm

STC wrote:I think the bottom line here is that we have differing views on the definition of 'fitness'. As I said in my first post, it's hard to quantify.

Paula Radcliffe, at her peak, was at the very extreme of human physical conditioning. She absolutely smashed the women's marathon world record. The fact that she couldn't do 35 dips in 60 seconds is totally irrelevant to this. The same applies to athletes such as elite sprinters and middle distance runners, professional cyclists and triathletes. All have incredidibly high levels of fitness. The same applies to elite professional boxers, and many other sporting disciplines.

All of these athletes have put in years and years of intensive training to develop their bodies in a specific way to attain the very highest levels of 'fitness' but tailored specifically to their sporting discipline. The elite of each discipline will have the highest possible levels of 'fitness'. Each will have it in equal amounts.

Doing some sort of superstars competition isn't going to prove anything one way or the other.

Yes I think thats it or that we are getting our wires crossed. Maybe I'm simplifying it a bit but I think with the original superstars program you did end up with a 'winner' over the 2 days (I think it was 2 days) which to some extent gave us the 'fittest' contestant on the day(s). Now I cant speak for geofsnapes the OP but I think we were both thinking along similar lines that how would a selection of athletes/sportsman from different sporting backgrounds, fitness, strength, speed, endurance etc levels/abilities would fair against each other in a contest along these lines which was fair to all competitors. I think we are gonna have to disagree.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 07 Apr 2011, 8:34 pm

Scottrf wrote:I think (hopefully without too much presumption on my part) that STC sees fitness in it's relevant context as readiness for the sport the athlete competes in.

I wouldn't deny that you could devise a competition that could give a good overall picture of a person's athletic abilities, just question the relevance.

The relevance was all based on geofsnapes original post about was there a way of comparing various sportsman/athletes fitness levels & that seemd to stem from peoples opinions on his previous post about how fit are boxers, which again had varying views. geof is invoved I think with konkura.com a fitness website & I think its something he & the others are interested in.

Back to top Go down

Post by GeoffSnapes Thu 14 Apr 2011, 6:37 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions, particularly Sohotnot. I've not had time to create a proper challenge yet, but I have started a quick five event one - Superstars Challenge .

GeoffSnapes

http://www.konkura.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2