The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hewitt given a wildcard for Roland Garros

3 posters

Go down

Hewitt given a wildcard for Roland Garros Empty Hewitt given a wildcard for Roland Garros

Post by lags72 Thu 17 May 2012, 11:56 pm

Apparently Hewitt is back in training, having recovered earlier than expected from foot surgery.

Being happy on grass he's looking forward to having a crack (his very last ....??) at Wimbledon, and then the Olympics.

But he's also been given a wildcard for Roland Garros Shocked
http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/17052012/58/french-open-hewitt-handed-roland-garros-wildcard.html

Now....nothing against Hewitt personally. Can't say I've ever been a fan, but he is a fighter and as we know he's had a pretty rough time injury-wise over the years.

Just don't see the point of giving him a wildcard, former World No.1 or not. Best he's ever managed to conjure up in 12 attempts at RG is a couple of QF's - the last of which was way back in the mists of time in 2004. Plus, I don't believe he's even played a clay tourney since RG 2010

I imagine he's just desperate for real world match practice and some sort of tournament 'acclimatisation' ; even if on clay and even if just a couple of rounds at best. But I'd say that his WC should have gone instead to a promising youngster.

Maybe I'm being unfair ....What do others think ?

lags72

Back to top Go down

Hewitt given a wildcard for Roland Garros Empty Re: Hewitt given a wildcard for Roland Garros

Post by djlovesyou Fri 18 May 2012, 12:04 am

Would have to be a promising youngster from Australia though, given it'll be the reciprocal WC that the US Open, Aussie Open and French Open have an agreement for.

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Hewitt given a wildcard for Roland Garros Empty Re: Hewitt given a wildcard for Roland Garros

Post by lags72 Fri 18 May 2012, 12:07 am

ok understood. And in fact I believe there is an Aussie junior playing on another WC

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Fri 18 May 2012, 11:08 am

The prospect of c'mon Hewitt gracing us with his presence at RG has clearly got the whole forum jumping ..... !! Wink

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou Fri 18 May 2012, 11:29 am

lags72 wrote:ok understood. And in fact I believe there is an Aussie junior playing on another WC

Yeah, that's Ashleigh Barty - but she's in the women's draw. They're chosen by Tennis Australia by the way.

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Fri 18 May 2012, 11:56 am

Thanks for clarification dj OK

Oddly enough, even as the one who started the thread, I've already lost interest in it myself ...!!!

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou Fri 18 May 2012, 11:58 am

You should have added something like 'and will he beat Andy Murray' or 'and what will Uncle Toni think about this' and all the usual suspects would be all over it.

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Fri 18 May 2012, 12:03 pm

I can imagine that for Bo3 format on grass at the Olympics he could be a handful for any player - after all he beat Federer at Halle in Bo3 not that long ago. How many players can each country put forward...is it 2? For Australia would that be Tomic and Hewitt,,,or am I forgetting another highly ranked player there?
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Fri 18 May 2012, 12:15 pm

Well I believe that will indeed be the Aussie doubles team.

It was in 2010 that he finally broke his sequence of around 15 consec losses to the Fed. Since when normal service has been resumed. I can remember reports at the time that Fed was carrying an injury in that Halle Final but - as I've always maintained, regardless of the players concerned - once you step on to court you're 'fit to play'

And I agree that in Bo3 (and with a certain freshness relative to others who will have played a full season) that Hewitt can perhaps still knock out a name or two on grass.

But as for RG : giving him a WC is a waste IMO

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou Fri 18 May 2012, 12:18 pm

It's just the top 56 players in the world (no more than 4 from any country) and then a bunch of wildcards.

It's not a case of a nation putting forward players - Hewitt will be miles away, but I guess they could give him the wild card.

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Fri 18 May 2012, 12:38 pm

thanks dj OK
Hewitt may make the cut then...and if he does no top current player will savour facing him on grass over 3 sets given his record at Queens and Halle.

Agree re: RG lags...he;s on a hiding to nothing there...maybe just use it as practice for the grass/Olympic season.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Fri 18 May 2012, 12:49 pm

Yep, at least he can get to hit a tennis ball for maybe a round or so at RG. (as a wildcard he's exposed to the possibility of a very unpleasant R1 draw ....!!)

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down