The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

daniel bryan....cm punk.....match of the year?

+9
Don Caboose
We Want Edge
Adam D
Gregers
JamesLincs
NickisBHAFC
Unbeatable Georgey Groves
marty2086
Mr Video Man
13 posters

Go down

daniel bryan....cm punk.....match of the year? Empty daniel bryan....cm punk.....match of the year?

Post by Mr Video Man Mon 21 May 2012, 2:03 pm

at over the limit these two put on a great pure wrestling match which i havent seen the wwe let people do in a long time maybe since cena punk last year at money in the bank. i thought for a second at the start of the match during the introductions that the wwe would screw it up and give them 5 secounds like at wm28 but they gave them a good i think half an hour to....(gasp) wrestle.

i love it when 2 great wrestlers like punk and bryan are given enough time to just...... ...wrestle. it is what i got into wrestling for in the 1st place 12 or so years ago to watch two guys who are great wrestlers get at least 20 odd minutes to do what they have always wanted to do......wrestle. as opposed to what we get sometimes on raw where two guys/girls get 5 minutes then its the next promo segment. a brilliant match which maybe is match of the year this year because there were no stipulations no weapons just two guys who had a......wrestling match. that is why i watch wwe and impact wrestling in the hope that i see a match like punk and bryan had last night at over the limit just to watch and admire and in the words of the crowd last night.....THIS IS AWESOME!!. what did everyone else think of the match if you have seen it?
Mr Video Man
Mr Video Man

Back to top Go down

daniel bryan....cm punk.....match of the year? Empty Re: daniel bryan....cm punk.....match of the year?

Post by marty2086 Mon 21 May 2012, 2:14 pm

I personally think WWE did screw it up, they should have held this match until Wrestlemania its a match that would steal the show maybe why it was put on Over The Limit too many egos would get dented?
The finish was poor as well but think setting up for a rematch

Should have got more time did the Ryback and Camacho match need to happen? And why so long for the Cena match everyone seen the finish a mile off and not main event material the 'this is awful' chant proved that

marty2086

Back to top Go down

daniel bryan....cm punk.....match of the year? Empty Re: daniel bryan....cm punk.....match of the year?

Post by Unbeatable Georgey Groves Mon 21 May 2012, 2:50 pm

it was a good match, not as many spots and near falls as i was expecting or would have liked, but good all the same

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Mon 21 May 2012, 2:56 pm

Unbeatable Georgey Groves wrote:it was a good match, not as many spots and near falls as i was expecting or would have liked, but good all the same

I thought there were just about the right amount of near falls and spots but these guys have had son many matches many they tried something a bit different

Am I the only one though that thinks WWE need to just give them an hour some night and tell them to go to work?

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Unbeatable Georgey Groves Mon 21 May 2012, 2:59 pm

i would have prefered a few more, but in fairness they did a good job as they did have to squeeze in a Ryback squash Doh
ending was botched too which was a shame

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Mon 21 May 2012, 3:00 pm

It was a very good match. but as i said last night already we have some very good contenders for match of the year.

My order goes

1. Undertaker vs HHH - Wrestle Mania
2. The Rock vs John Cena - Wrestle Mania
3. Daniel Bryan vs CM Punk - Over The Limit
4. Daniel Bryan vs Sheamus - Extreme Rules
5. CM Punk vs Chris Jericho - Wrestle Mania

Still over 6 months left for more amazing matches to pop up. 5 matches already worthy of match of the year, great time to be a wwe fan IMO

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Mon 21 May 2012, 3:25 pm

And were bound to have a Hogan v Roode match in TNA soon so Im sure that'll be a contender too Yahoo

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by JamesLincs Mon 21 May 2012, 4:06 pm

i think most would have liked to see more 'spots' but its punk v bryan, they dont need spots to get the match over. it was pure wrestling

matches of the year for me so far have been that match last night, just behind taker hhh

JamesLincs

Back to top Go down

Post by Unbeatable Georgey Groves Mon 21 May 2012, 6:36 pm

I think taker vs hhh was much better due to many reasons

in ring work was better and more exciting
in ring psychology was better
the stage was greater
the match had proper build up and feeling of importance
the ending wasn't botched

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Mon 21 May 2012, 6:43 pm

Taker vs Hunter for me

This second so far

Gregers

https://www.facebook.com/Gregers25

Back to top Go down

Post by Unbeatable Georgey Groves Mon 21 May 2012, 7:06 pm

cena vs rock and brock were better imo - i even preferred the fatal 4 way last night

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Mon 21 May 2012, 8:29 pm

Austin Aries vs Bully Ray for me

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by We Want Edge Mon 21 May 2012, 9:31 pm

Taker VS Hunter was a lot better IMO

Great Psychology and it was such a good build up and ending with the fact it was 20-0. What i loved about that match was it had so many subplots like DX and HBK not getting the job done and COO HHH as well as wrester HHH etc...

A quick poor build-up prevents a match from being great.

My 2012 matches

1) HHH v Taker
2) Rock v Cena
3) Punk v Bryan

We Want Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by JamesLincs Mon 21 May 2012, 10:55 pm

bit harsh on punk n bryan

taker v hhh had several things on their side. full careers, ready made sotry, the setting, the stipulation, special refs, steel cages

punk bryan was straight up wrestling from 2 smaller indy guys. they saved the ppv imo

JamesLincs

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Caboose Tue 22 May 2012, 11:43 am

Punk-Bryan was from a technical and psychology stand point the WWE match of the year thus far.

From a storytelling and emotional stand point Taker-HHH is match of the year.

Brock-Cena and Cena-Rock are the next two best matches after the above.

My dad who tolerates WWE wrestling to humour me and my sister always says that WWE is rubbish compared to the old ITV World of Sport show, commented halfway through the Bryan-Punk match that it was the best match he had seen in ages. I think that is testament enough to how great a straight up wrestling match it was.

For those pointing to a lack of spots, this was quite clearly only the first match in a series that could go to great places...

Don Caboose

Back to top Go down

Post by Unbeatable Georgey Groves Tue 22 May 2012, 4:43 pm

Don Caboose wrote:Punk-Bryan was from a technical and psychology stand point the WWE match of the year thus far.

My dad who tolerates WWE wrestling to humour me and my sister always says that WWE is rubbish compared to the old ITV World of Sport show, commented halfway through the Bryan-Punk match that it was the best match he had seen in ages. I think that is testament enough to how great a straight up wrestling match it was.

For those pointing to a lack of spots, this was quite clearly only the first match in a series that could go to great places...

i didn't say the lack of spots made it a bad match, i just think to make it match of the year it could have done with some 'omg bryans going to do it' 'no wait punk has got this' 'no way how did he kick out of that' type moments

Back to top Go down

Post by Unbeatable Georgey Groves Tue 22 May 2012, 4:45 pm

and as far as the psychology goes i think punk vs jericho at ER was better and bully ray vs aires is FAR better

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Caboose Tue 22 May 2012, 4:59 pm

Unbeatable Georgey Groves wrote:
Don Caboose wrote:Punk-Bryan was from a technical and psychology stand point the WWE match of the year thus far.

i didn't say the lack of spots made it a bad match, i just think to make it match of the year it could have done with some 'omg bryans going to do it' 'no wait punk has got this' 'no way how did he kick out of that' type moments

See this is the issue with how the WWE has programmed viewers, the whole match served the finish and the idea that they were picking each other apart. There doesn't have to be or need a loads of false finishes or big hits exchanged. Bryan was clearly working Punk's ribs, so every hold that attacks that serves the match. Other points where the two come to standoff because they know each other so well again serve the story thats trying to established. The closer false finishes will come now that this match has established the competitiveness. You can't have a Taker/HHH style match in match 1 of a multi-match series. Take Christian-Orton last summer as an example. The first match was a competitive matchup which Orton edged. Every match after that built around they idea that the first match was so close and that Christian could win given a bit of luck.

Don Caboose

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Caboose Tue 22 May 2012, 5:01 pm

Unbeatable Georgey Groves wrote:and as far as the psychology goes i think punk vs jericho at ER was better and bully ray vs aires is FAR better

Punk-Jericho was also a a very sloppy match in terms of move execution.

I've not seen Bully Ray-Aries

Don Caboose

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Tue 22 May 2012, 5:08 pm

According to some people Daniel Bryan was due to win and was changed at the last second Sad

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Gregory House MD Tue 22 May 2012, 5:35 pm

Im surprised that people are rating Cena v Rock so highly, for me the crowd which were supposed to make the match came across very poorly, at least on tv and it went on too long for the Rock who wasn't at match fitness

Dr Gregory House MD

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Caboose Wed 23 May 2012, 9:07 am

Dr Gregory House MD wrote:Im surprised that people are rating Cena v Rock so highly, for me the crowd which were supposed to make the match came across very poorly, at least on tv and it went on too long for the Rock who wasn't at match fitness

I'd agree that the crowd was hot but not as hot as they were for Taker-HHH.

In terms of the match I felt it got the point across. Rock was actually out of his league but still had the heart of a Champion, while Cena had underestimated Rock going into the match. As it wore on, Rock was starting to struggle but Cena got cocky and paid the price. The exact same thing that cost him at Over the Limit against Johnny Ace.

Don Caboose

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Wed 23 May 2012, 10:13 am

House was actually saying the crowd wasn't very good, and I have to agree with them. They seemed tired by the end and it ruined the match completely because the aura just wasn't there.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Caboose Wed 23 May 2012, 10:21 am

Crimey wrote:House was actually saying the crowd wasn't very good, and I have to agree with them. They seemed tired by the end and it ruined the match completely because the aura just wasn't there.

I wouldn't say it wasn't a good crowd, when Rocky gets the pin, the place genuinely exploded. I think the length of the card worked against it as did the previous few week's of Rock coming across as a douche and Cena being made out to be some kind of underdog. The crowd was not 99% Rocky like expected by most, probably more 80%.

Don Caboose

Back to top Go down

Post by Unbeatable Georgey Groves Wed 23 May 2012, 2:51 pm

Don Caboose wrote:

See this is the issue with how the WWE has programmed viewers, the whole match served the finish and the idea that they were picking each other apart. There doesn't have to be or need a loads of false finishes or big hits exchanged. Bryan was clearly working Punk's ribs, so every hold that attacks that serves the match. Other points where the two come to standoff because they know each other so well again serve the story thats trying to established. The closer false finishes will come now that this match has established the competitiveness. You can't have a Taker/HHH style match in match 1 of a multi-match series. Take Christian-Orton last summer as an example. The first match was a competitive matchup which Orton edged. Every match after that built around they idea that the first match was so close and that Christian could win given a bit of luck.

Not an issue atall, it is MY OPINION and i find near falls and spots make a match more exciting than someone wearing someones left shoulder down

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Caboose Wed 23 May 2012, 3:28 pm

Don Caboose wrote:

Not an issue atall, it is MY OPINION and i find near falls and spots make a match more exciting than someone wearing someones left shoulder down

Fair enough it is your opinion and I can certainly respect it. Building tension was what they were going for rather than suspense. I'm confident the suspense will come later in the series.

Don Caboose

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Gregory House MD Wed 23 May 2012, 11:35 pm

Don Caboose wrote:
Dr Gregory House MD wrote:Im surprised that people are rating Cena v Rock so highly, for me the crowd which were supposed to make the match came across very poorly, at least on tv and it went on too long for the Rock who wasn't at match fitness

In terms of the match I felt it got the point across. Rock was actually out of his league but still had the heart of a Champion, while Cena had underestimated Rock going into the match. As it wore on, Rock was starting to struggle but Cena got cocky and paid the price. The exact same thing that cost him at Over the Limit against Johnny Ace.

I'm not saying it was a terrible match by any means, it was as perfunctionary as expected for the two, though Rock tiring did make it a bit cumbersome towards the end, but this was always meant to be an occasion rather than a straght up wrestling match and for me the crowd didn't transtlate as well as I would have hoped, I'm guessing it was the open air stadium as they were very good the next night, the comparisions between this match and Rock vs Hogan at X8 were there to see, and the crowd are one of the things people always talk about, they really made it feel like a once in a lifetime occasion, I don't see people talking about the 28 crowd in 10 years time.

By no means a bad match but it dosn't make MOTY contention for me.

Dr Gregory House MD

Back to top Go down

Post by paulscholes Wed 23 May 2012, 11:58 pm

surly sheamus vs bryan at WM has to be up there

paulscholes

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Caboose Thu 24 May 2012, 8:45 am

Dr Gregory House MD wrote:
Don Caboose wrote:

I'm not saying it was a terrible match by any means, it was as perfunctionary as expected for the two, though Rock tiring did make it a bit cumbersome towards the end, but this was always meant to be an occasion rather than a straght up wrestling match and for me the crowd didn't transtlate as well as I would have hoped, I'm guessing it was the open air stadium as they were very good the next night, the comparisions between this match and Rock vs Hogan at X8 were there to see, and the crowd are one of the things people always talk about, they really made it feel like a once in a lifetime occasion, I don't see people talking about the 28 crowd in 10 years time.

By no means a bad match but it dosn't make MOTY contention for me.

Fair enough, the crowd was definitely not as hot as it should/could have been, and that might have something to do with the open air stadium. I never really got bored at any point, but you are quite right to say its not as memorable as Rock/Hogan which was a perfect storm of a match. I'm guessing a lot had to with the then WWF not really having to sell Hogan/Rock as it sold itself while Cena/Rock lost a lot of steam over the year and there was a forced epicness to the whole thing.

Don Caboose

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down