The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CM Punk is your God now

+5
crippledtart
Sara
AberdeenSteve
JoshSansom
ADMIN
9 posters

Go down

CM Punk is your God now Empty CM Punk is your God now

Post by ADMIN Mon 4 Apr - 23:27

Okay, so WrestleMania wasn't a complete dud last night. Disappointing, yes, but there were a few standout performances. I think the singular best one goes to CM Punk though. Why? Well, he turned a match with a guy who didn't know how to play a gimp into one of the best of the night just by his own sheer awesomeness.

There was so much praise heaped on that match last night, yet I thought Orton kinda sucked for most of it. The match was based around his leg being so Flip up that he could barely move on it, right? Yeah, well half the match, he conveniently forgot about that, running around like nothing was wrong. Oh yeah, there were spots when his selling was on point, like when he flubbed the Punt. That was good, but when you run around like you're just fine, especially after Punk worked over the knee, you kinda waste the good will you just earned. Yeah, the RKO finish spot was snazzy too, but I think when you consider it, Orton, whom I think can be a good worker, turned in one of the worst major WrestleMania performances that I can remember in a high-profile good match.

That's what I think makes Punk's performance stand out. The guy went out there and was able to convince a bunch of people, myself included, that what we saw was a good match when in reality, it was a good performance masking a spotty-at-best one. I don't like to make hyperbolic statements, but at the same time, I don't think I'd be that off by saying last night is a top three carry job in WM history, along with Savage/Warrior from WM VII and Rock/Hogan from X-8.

Punk did everything right. He worked the knee expertly. That ringpost figure four was awesome if just for the nostalgia. He taunted the wounded Orton like he had the match in the bag. A lot of guys in WWE, TNA and ROH could learn a thing or two from the way Punk works the crowd through taunting them and his opponent. His counters were on point. I mean countering the RKO with a high roundhouse kick to the face? BRILLIANT. Finally, Punk's facial expressions were delightful and added so much to the match. I point to the Anaconda Vise, where Punk looked like he was a serial killer strangling the life out of Orton. I mean, if I had to think of a sporting equivalent to the performance that Punk put out in this match, it would have to be Roy Halladay's playoff no-hitter. On the biggest stage of them all, he went out and was nearly untouchable during the match.

CM Punk went out there and proved that he was a franchise player for WWE, a main event talent that GETS how being in a main event-level match works. He didn't win, but who cares? The ride is what was special. If he didn't prove to the bookers that he deserves to stay in the main event and continue to be a guy who has one of the best matches on the card while putting both himself and his opponent over like a million bucks apiece, then they're the ones with the problem, not Punk.

taken from http://wallsofjerichoholic.blogspot.com/2011/04/cm-punk-is-your-god-now.html

ADMIN
Founder
Founder

https://www.606v2.com

Back to top Go down

CM Punk is your God now Empty Re: CM Punk is your God now

Post by JoshSansom Mon 4 Apr - 23:55

Agreed. I think that that performance should have set him up as the company's top heel... the guy to replace HHH about 10 years ago.

My worry is that Vince only associates heels with big dumb brutes and ignores the cerebral side of Punk.

I also get the feeling that he wouldn't be unwilling, like some in the WWE, to put others over. I must say I really disliked him as a face but think he is a great heel

JoshSansom

Back to top Go down

Post by AberdeenSteve Tue 5 Apr - 8:32

Yet I shall post: CM PUNK heart

AberdeenSteve

Back to top Go down

Post by Sara Tue 5 Apr - 12:35

I am obsessed with CM Punk at the moment heart heart

I am a huge Randy Orton fan but I have been cheering for Punk in this feud, although I didn't like him "hurting" Randy's leg at Wrestlemania, it stressed me out. lol! Very Happy

Sara

http://www.twitter.com/SaraLouP

Back to top Go down

Post by crippledtart Tue 5 Apr - 12:50

Punk is, by a serious distance, the best wrestler in WWE, all things considered.

Vince McMahon should be building the entire company around him. If anyone within WWE thinks that Triple H, or John Cena, or Undertaker, or Randy Orton, or even The Rock, is better than CM Punk, they are in the wrong business. He could and should be the man who starts the next wrestling boom.

crippledtart

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Tue 5 Apr - 14:22

I too didn't like Punk much as a face but as a heel he is top class, my worry is that he loses so often that he will become like Jericho, where as he should be a franchise player

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by ncfc_Tooze Tue 5 Apr - 14:25

the punk charecter at the moment reminds me of raven when he was in wcw and ecw. and should be used as such a top heel

ncfc_Tooze
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Tue 5 Apr - 14:44

I loved the whole SES idea, hated how they killed it and not a fan of him being the leader of Nexus, He should be the leader of the Straight Edge Nation

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by talkingpoint Tue 5 Apr - 17:24

the-gaffer wrote:I too didn't like Punk much as a face but as a heel he is top class, my worry is that he loses so often that he will become like Jericho, where as he should be a franchise player

This is the problem - Punk loves the business, loves playing the heel and doesn't mind losing as long as the performance is there but it doesn't look good on paper and younger fans who have less appreciation for being able to carry a match/feud will look down on him. Punk is by far the best wrestler in the WWE at present. He is one of the reasons I'm still passionate about wrestling. I really hope that Punk gets a good, strong, clean win at next year's Mania, hopefully for the world title. Very Happy

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Tue 5 Apr - 17:53

I don't mind how he wins to be honest, i never worry about heels winning clean, I'd just like to see him get a couple of high profile wins

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by theanimal316 Tue 5 Apr - 18:42

Your right he does need high profile wins, the most high profile win I can remember him having when he 'made' Taker tap out to the anaconda vice. But there hasn't been many since he moved to raw that I can think of

theanimal316

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Tue 5 Apr - 19:06

Even that win over Taker was poor, it was a shoddy attempt to recreate a Montreal Screwjob and Punj was just a sideshow for A taker storyline IMO

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by AberdeenSteve Tue 5 Apr - 19:58

I too agree that CM Punk should be number one in the WWE right now. He has the best in ring talent by absolute miles, he could make The Great Khali look good. His mic skills are immense too.

One question though, after his loss to Randy Orton at Wrestlemania. Who does he feud with next? I mean, whoever he is going to be feuding with it is going to have to involve the Nexus in some way or another.

AberdeenSteve

Back to top Go down

Post by theanimal316 Tue 5 Apr - 20:03

I don't see why Punk vs Miz wouldn't work. Although both heels, they actually have quite large fanbases. And I don't think many in the crowd would be enutrals, they would choose either Miz or Punk. And they would do exciting promos. You could have one of them change slightly and become a tweener, but in the case of these two I don't think there is a need to do that. Anybody else think Miz Punk would work?

theanimal316

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Tue 5 Apr - 21:13

I've got faith that it would work but i also think it would force the WWE to face turn 1 of them, also with the top heels going at it then that only leaves the top faces with each other

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Tue 5 Apr - 21:30

I'd really like to see a non title feud between Cena/Punk and have a series of gimmick matches, i think gimmick matches are a great way to get both guys over without making guys tap out/pin, I'd also like to se a story where John Cena loses focus and goes on a bit of a losing streak during this feud

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down