The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How do you start your backswing?

+3
navyblueshorts
golfermartin
Bloxboy
7 posters

Go down

How do you start your backswing? Empty How do you start your backswing?

Post by Bloxboy Tue 22 May 2012 - 16:43

I've always started mine by moving my left shoulder (I'm right handed) around the front and under my chin, letting my arms move with it, but trying to avoid doing anything with my hands (other than hang on to the club!) until the club is at least waist height when the hips also start turning.

I have now read in Ben Hogan's Five Fundamentals that the right way is to go Hands-Arms-Shoulders-Hips.

This could explain why I'm a struggling 10 and he was a multi-major winner!

I just wondered what order everybody else got their working bits going in?

Bloxboy

Back to top Go down

How do you start your backswing? Empty Re: How do you start your backswing?

Post by golfermartin Tue 22 May 2012 - 20:05

I really have no idea and would rather not think about it! I just concentrate on taking it back low and slow and then completing the back swing before hitting the ball. I know it's not strictly what happens but I play best when I think "back, pause, hit". I find it keeps my rhythm and tempo.

golfermartin

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 22 May 2012 - 20:43

A very, very, very slight forward press for me and then keep it low(ish) for the first 12" away from the ball.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 22 May 2012 - 21:48

Anyone who reads this thread is a brave golfer given all the swing thoughts you could end up developing. I have chosen not to read any of it so someone may have already made this point.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Lairdy Wed 23 May 2012 - 12:32

I find I swing best when I only think about turning my shoulders around my spine and forget about hands and arms. I think I tend to take my arms to far back at the top when I think of them in the takeaway.

I've no real trigger like a forward press or anything.

Lairdy

Back to top Go down

Post by Fader Wed 23 May 2012 - 22:37

I just try to keep the club outside the hands and not rotate the face on the way back, just let's the wrist hinge naturally when ready. That's what I was taught and works for me. That said all I try to focus on is a smooth tempo to many swing thought and I fall to pieces

Last edited by Fader on Fri 25 May 2012 - 12:41; edited 1 time in total

Fader

Back to top Go down

Post by 4putt Fri 25 May 2012 - 11:47

Bloxboy wrote:I've always started mine by moving my left shoulder (I'm right handed) around the front and under my chin, letting my arms move with it, but trying to avoid doing anything with my hands (other than hang on to the club!) until the club is at least waist height when the hips also start turning.

Funny you should mention it, but I've just adopted this method over the past few weeks. I find it helps me take the club away on a better line.

Before this recent change I use to do a forward press. I found this sometimes resulted in me taking the club away too upright and swinging on an out-to-in plane.

4putt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down