The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A fresh start!!!

+7
Kay Fabe
GotMyEyeOnVelvetSky
Crimey
ADMIN
JoshSansom
Holymiky
bretmeharty
11 posters

Go down

A fresh start!!! Empty A fresh start!!!

Post by bretmeharty Wed 01 Jun 2011, 5:00 pm

Just Thought i'd introduce myself again to start a fresh then its everyone else's turn. I am BretmeHarty I was a member on the old 606 for a couple of years and recently joined.

I remember my real early memories of wrestling was staying up at the age of 5-7 watching Hogan facing slaughter then watching wrestlemania 12 a few years later. It wasn't until I reached the age of about 13-14 when the attitude era hit that I found myself and some mates from school really getting into it and had and still have every ppv from 1985 on either video or dvd right up to the last year or so with only a few exceptions. I would like to think I know a little bit about the industry on and off the screen and so there you go that sums me up in a nutshell.

Feel free to talk memories or how you got into it.

bretmeharty

Back to top Go down

A fresh start!!! Empty Re: A fresh start!!!

Post by Holymiky Wed 01 Jun 2011, 5:04 pm

Just through mates really and i am a massive Cena fan...Never knew all the backstage stuff and quite alot of the goings on untill i joined 606 last year and it's one of the best things i could of done for my knowledge of wrestling and i have enjoyed every minute of it. Everyone here has taught me a lot and i appreciate that so Smile

As for you, i don't hate you at all or respect you any less, your a knowledgable poster from what i have seen on here and 606. Hope you can accept that i'm a Cena fan!!!!!!!

Welcome again mate!

Holymiky

Back to top Go down

Post by bretmeharty Wed 01 Jun 2011, 5:19 pm

That's all what forums are about mate to share information and to learn from them also

It's all good Miky you believing in Cena is no different to me believing in Hogan or Warrior years ago. thumbsup

bretmeharty

Back to top Go down

Post by JoshSansom Wed 01 Jun 2011, 5:54 pm

Holymiky wrote:Just through mates really and i am a massive Cena fan...Never knew all the backstage stuff and quite alot of the goings on untill i joined 606 last year and it's one of the best things i could of done for my knowledge of wrestling and i have enjoyed every minute of it. Everyone here has taught me a lot and i appreciate that so Smile

As for you, i don't hate you at all or respect you any less, your a knowledgable poster from what i have seen on here and 606. Hope you can accept that i'm a Cena fan!!!!!!!

Welcome again mate!

I certainly don't have a problem with you being a Cena fan. I would be interested to find out if you still find his character interesting? Given that he has performed the same routine for the last five or six years the main complaint of people isn't that "he is John Cena and we hate him" because he can be an incredibly fresh and interesting character, but "he is John Cena and I find his current character monotonous, boring and dull"...

Thoughts?

JoshSansom

Back to top Go down

Post by ADMIN Wed 01 Jun 2011, 6:07 pm

The same accusation can easily be leveled at a lot of wrestlers though.
We lap up the Rock but it's fairly color by numbers promos that he's hardly moved on from since he found his comfort zone, come out poke fun out of opponent, do catchphrases and raise eyebrow, he just does it exceptionally well.
HHH has been the same character for 10 years, whether if he's face or heel.
Austin never really evolved once he got the Stone Cold gimmick.

In the case of Cena then whilst we the IWC moan about it, the reality is why change it? It sells by the bucket load, the kids love it, it's clearly not got past its sell by date with its main fanbase.

ADMIN
Founder
Founder

https://www.606v2.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JoshSansom Wed 01 Jun 2011, 6:15 pm

Good point Hero, though I find the Rock a bit dull at the moment and at least with HHH he switched from face to heel a bit.

I certainly don't think that Cena will be dramatically changed. All I would say is that if Orton can take some of the marketing burden then there is less onus on Cena and heels have proven their ability to get over with fans in the past.

Maybe it is the IWC thing, maybe we are all watching wrestling for longer than we used to. Back in the day each successive audience tranche would have seen Cena's gimmick as new and fresh and he could have used the same gimmick for his whole career - the big point of the modern generation is that this isn't the case and players have to evolve more, in my opinion.

JoshSansom

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Wed 01 Jun 2011, 6:18 pm

Can you think of many who have actually changed their character? In recent years, I can only think of Jericho and Punk, and for both of them it was for a heel-turn.

The biggest change in character I can think of is Undertaker becomes the Bad Ass, but even he went back to his tried and tested 'deadman' persona.

I think there is just a general hate for Cena, most likely because he is pushed to the moon despite not having the best 'traditional' wrestling skills. Most people then try and find some other excuse for disliking him.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by GotMyEyeOnVelvetSky Wed 01 Jun 2011, 6:22 pm

I used to visit 606 all the time but never joined - I just enjoyed seeing all the banter.

Started watching a bit late 80s / early 90s and was a big Warrior fan, then during mid 90s really got into it and became a HUGE Hitman fan. I missed most of the Attitude era before really getting back into it in 2000. I have only dipped in and out in the last 4 or 5 years which is why I began visiting the old 606, to see what had been happening and I've got to say some of the guys there were very knowledgeable.

Thought I'd take a more active part on this board. Hope it's as good as the old one!

As for Cena, sure his gimmick is old and repetitive but it's no different from what the likes of Hogan have done in the past. As long as enough people like it and it brings in the green then it's gonna stay around for a long time yet... and if it creates enough heat from the people that don't like it, surely that's a good thing too.

GotMyEyeOnVelvetSky

Back to top Go down

Post by bretmeharty Wed 01 Jun 2011, 6:28 pm

My personal reason for disliking the whole "Cena thing" is not because I hate the person or Cena himself it could be anyone (including if ryder was suddenly being booked like Cena).

He is forced fed to us and shows no weakness and gives me no reason to invest in anything he ever does, as we all know that is not his fault but he bares the brunt of it because he is at the front of it all.

bretmeharty

Back to top Go down

Post by bretmeharty Wed 01 Jun 2011, 6:31 pm

Welcome Eyeonvelvetsky thumbsup

bretmeharty

Back to top Go down

Post by ADMIN Wed 01 Jun 2011, 6:44 pm

Orton changed from monotone cocky legend killer to stone cold ripoff minus the ability to use the mic.

ADMIN
Founder
Founder

https://www.606v2.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Wed 01 Jun 2011, 6:48 pm

I thought about Orton, but there really is hardly any difference in his character at all. I think all that has really changed is that the fans got behind him because of his feud with Triple H and the McMahons.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Wed 01 Jun 2011, 6:57 pm

I started watching WWE on Monday, that Cena fella looks brilliant

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by HitmanOwl Wed 01 Jun 2011, 7:35 pm

What makes john cena so special? I just can't see it. You could swap him for Matt Damon and nobody would no any different![code]

HitmanOwl

Back to top Go down

Post by psycho-gooner Wed 01 Jun 2011, 7:42 pm

when I got back into wrestling in 05...i'll admit i liked Cena at first, then i notice how much of a superman he was and kinda got me bored.

funnily enough it wasnt until i joined 606 that i started hating on everything the WWE does with their talent

psycho-gooner

Back to top Go down

Post by UpsideDownFace Wed 01 Jun 2011, 8:11 pm

I started watching about 1999/2000 when I was 9 or 10. I remember going to a friends house to watch royal rumble 2000 after school and I was genuinely scared of the Cactus Jack/HHH match. I had to leave the room! This was when I thought it was real. I still loved it though and grew up fascinated by it week after week. I've drifted away from it now though and only watch if something really good has happened or has created alot of debate on here. I still read the results for every show and watch PPV's on sky sports.

UpsideDownFace

Back to top Go down

Post by Facey_James Wed 01 Jun 2011, 9:52 pm

Hey all. Used to keep my eye on old 606, but thought i'd sling myself into this. I'm pretty much a slack smark, just following wwe online and catching the odd pay per view.

The IWC is the most interesting thing about wrestling at the moment, probably because of how childish the product is now.

uMo signs in the crowd also make me chuckle.

Facey_James

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down