The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Newcastle Falcons Thread - Use Championship thread

+30
justified sinner
RDW
reallybored
Big
Portnoy
Equo Troiano
LondonTiger
Welshmushroom
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
yappysnap
ChequeredJersey
Jennifer1984
chewed_mintie
Sgt_Pooly
Poorfour
alcoombe
funnyExiledScot
InjuredYetAgain
George Carlin
DaveM
HammerofThunor
Hood83
Zander
Driver
TrailApe
formerly known as Sam
Cumbrian
Majestic83
HongKongCherry
Geordie
34 posters

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Newcastle Falcons Thread - Use Championship thread Empty Newcastle Falcons Thread - Use Championship thread

Post by Geordie Tue 22 May 2012 - 21:36

A thread to keep an eye on the summer activities...still to find out if its premiership or championship.

Current Squad:

Forwards
Props:
Grant Shiels
Euan Murray
Ashley Wells
John Golding
Scott Wilson
James Hall - Has he left?
Oliver Tomasczyk

Hookers:
Matt Thompson
Rob Vickers
George McGuigan
Joe Graham
Michel Mayhew

Second Rows
Carlo Del Fava
Adriaan Fondse
james Hudson
Josh Beaumont
Scott MacLeod
Richard Boyle
Glen Townson

Back Row
Taisina Tui'Fua
Ally Hogg
Will Welch
Richard Mayhew
Mark Wilson
Adam Balding
Joe Robinson
Chris York

Backs
SH's
Rory Lawson
Jordi Pasqualin
Chris Pilgrim

Fh's
Joel Hodgson (Or will he move to SH)
Jimmy Gopperth
Tom Catterick
Waisea Luveniyali

Centres
Corne Ullys
Jamie Helleur
James Fitzpatrick
Luke Fielden
Tane Tu'ipulotu
Andrew Higgins
Alex Crocket
Michael Tait

Back 3
Greg Goosen
Kirbridge
Alex Tait
Ryan Shortland
Tom Bedford
Suka Hufanga
Ricki Sheriffe

Please who have left:
Will Chudley: Scrum Half Exeter
Tim Swinson: 6 / Second Row Glasgow Warriors
Andrew van der Heijden has confirmed he is returning back to New Zealand (Aukland)
James Goode is likely to head back to the Ospreys after the end of his loan deal
Peter Stringer will return back to Munster for next season.

Last edited by GeordieFalcon on Thu 30 Aug 2012 - 13:55; edited 11 times in total

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Newcastle Falcons Thread - Use Championship thread Empty Re: Newcastle Falcons Thread - Use Championship thread

Post by HongKongCherry Tue 22 May 2012 - 22:03

I can't imagine the brand of rugby next year is going to be pretty, but you're going to be a very tough team to beat. Hudson, del Fava and McLeod will prove a very good boiler room.

Rory Lawson's attacking failings are well known, but he is as good as any SH on the defensive and expect him to make try saving tackles on a regular basis. He and Gopperth will control games very well, but don't expect 11-15 to see much of the ball!
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Newcastle Falcons Thread - Use Championship thread Empty Re: Newcastle Falcons Thread - Use Championship thread

Post by Majestic83 Tue 22 May 2012 - 22:08

So far the signings for newcastle look pretty good and look like better players coming in than those who are leaving. The 2 second row signings will give the newcastle pack some much needed experience, del fava with his grunt and also mcleod with his lineout skills. Will be a pretty good half back pairing and should be able to control games better whether Newcastle are in the aviva or the championship.

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 22 May 2012 - 22:17

Richards has openly admitted that Gopperth is not his type of Fly Half....leading to many thinking he will play at 15 where (and it pains me to say it he has played a couple of times this season and looked ok)

I take it Tomasczyk wasnt rate by Worcester...

And is Tuiplu better than Fitzy at 12? hhhmmmm

Or will they play two 12's in the centre spots...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Tue 22 May 2012 - 22:21

What has happened to Alex Tait at Newcastle? He was a first team regular for a couple years and had been talked about being called up by Scotland but seems to have disappeared recently?

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 22 May 2012 - 22:35

Ah...others might disagree...but i dont think he that great to be honest.
A decent player but not great.
Probably more consistant and solid than his brother...but not as good...

Interesting about Lawson offensively not great.

We have Joel Hodgson a fh who is a serious prospect...but he's very small and us falcon fans think they should move him to 9 to make a creative scrum half...in the French mould...and then we can bring in Catterick to challenge for 10.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Wed 23 May 2012 - 7:34

Possibles have been confirmed:

http://www.newcastlefalcons.co.uk/news/story/falcons-snap-up-trio
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Wed 23 May 2012 - 9:14

How has Jordi Pasqualin got on for you this season? I saw he started a few games at the beginning but has tailed off, was that form or injury?

On the Lawson front to give you a heads up of what to expect. He can be very measured (or slow!) at getting the ball away from the breakdown. He never, EVER makes a break. His short range pass is decent, but when the 1st receiver drops in the pocket he can flap a bit - that's the negative stuff. But on the plus side, he has very good game management and his box kicks are decent. With out word of an exaggeration, I haven't seen a SH for many a year has such good defence. He will be your 3rd flanker and quite frankly he would have made a good 7! His turnover rate is very good and he will win you numerous penalties. Ultimately when you have backfoot ball in tough games he'll be worth his weight in gold, but when you have front foot ball he'll slow it down no end!!
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 23 May 2012 - 9:25

And is Tuiplu better than Fitzy at 12? hhhmmmm

Or will they play two 12's in the centre spots...

Sounds like a big old centre pairing to me. That or they think Fitz played too much rugby this season and they want to rotate the backline a little more to keep things fresh.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by TrailApe Wed 23 May 2012 - 10:02

and they want to rotate the backline a little more to keep things fresh..

I think the predicament Bristol find themselves in shows that the Championship is not about who comes top, but what state your in at the end of the season. If we go down I can see Our Leaders wanting to have the big guns fresh and ready to rip up trees and knock doors out of windows for those vital play off games.

And lets face it, the difference between the bottom premiership sides and the top championship sides is not that vast a gulf (well done Exeter and Worcestershire) so if we pull together a squad that does well and we go back up on the bounce, with the extra edge that we will have in our coaching team (hopefully Deano still has the touch) we should have enough to survive the first season back up and then build to go further.

That's the theory.
TrailApe
TrailApe

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Wed 23 May 2012 - 11:53

HongKongCherry wrote:How has Jordi Pasqualin got on for you this season? I saw he started a few games at the beginning but has tailed off, was that form or injury?

On the Lawson front to give you a heads up of what to expect. He can be very measured (or slow!) at getting the ball away from the breakdown. He never, EVER makes a break. His short range pass is decent, but when the 1st receiver drops in the pocket he can flap a bit - that's the negative stuff. But on the plus side, he has very good game management and his box kicks are decent. With out word of an exaggeration, I haven't seen a SH for many a year has such good defence. He will be your 3rd flanker and quite frankly he would have made a good 7! His turnover rate is very good and he will win you numerous penalties. Ultimately when you have backfoot ball in tough games he'll be worth his weight in gold, but when you have front foot ball he'll slow it down no end!!

Pssqualin seems to be popular amonst other Falcons fans, but personally I haven't seen enough to say.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Wed 23 May 2012 - 13:46

So all the signings are going to be playing Jeff rugby next season. On one hand you may not want to stay up on this basis, but I'm sure on the other hand you don't give a flying wotsit - you're staying up!! See you next season OK
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by Driver Wed 23 May 2012 - 14:26

Delighted with the news coming through today, Massive boost to everyone associated with the club. Little disappointed with the signing of Crockett as i don't think he's any better than Uys or Heuller.
Driver
Driver

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 23 May 2012 - 14:28

Yeah...its a bit sour on Bristol- I dont feel sorry for LW.....but we are up. We will be a different proposition next season....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Driver Wed 23 May 2012 - 14:29

Now lets go sign McCaw and Carter!
Driver
Driver

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 23 May 2012 - 14:32

Little disappointed with the signing of Crockett as i don't think he's any better than Uys or Heuller.

Is there a definite list of the players leaving the Falcons?

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Driver Wed 23 May 2012 - 14:34

Only Fearns and Chudley so far , If any one wants Jimmy Goppereth i'll piggy back him there?
Driver
Driver

Back to top Go down

Post by TrailApe Wed 23 May 2012 - 14:38

Gopperth will be a good 15.

Believe me.

If I get this wrong, I usually drink in the Twin Farm pre game, so feel free to come up and lamp me.

(physical description witheld)
TrailApe
TrailApe

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 23 May 2012 - 14:38

Keep jimmy out the way at full back so he can kick....then bring catterick to ten and hodgson to nine.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Driver Wed 23 May 2012 - 14:39

I'd play Goppereth at 15 and i'm sure that's where Deano will play him
Driver
Driver

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 23 May 2012 - 14:51

Driver the outs I put in the op are confirmed.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Driver Wed 23 May 2012 - 14:52

We need to spend wisely and choose the finer details in the squad correctly who will be skipper? James Hudson , Will Welch , Euan Murrey or Rory Lawson?
Driver
Driver

Back to top Go down

Post by Driver Wed 23 May 2012 - 14:52

I'm just struggling to come to terms with Swinno leaving..........

Favorite player by a mile
Driver
Driver

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 23 May 2012 - 14:59

Driver the outs I put in the op are confirmed

Is that all of them? Falcons had a pretty hefty squad and are adding significantly to it, I had expected them to ditch quite a few players from their squad this summer.

Keep jimmy out the way at full back so he can kick....then bring catterick to ten and hodgson to nine

Whilst moving a diminutive 10 to 9 has worked well at other AP clubs (both Ben Youngs and Sam Harrison at Tigers are fair 10s in their own right but were guided to scrum half when in the academy) I think Joel Hodgson has the makings of a nifty little 10. The LV Cup game at Tigers he really added some threat to the Falcons backline and if he was to get more game time and have a good pre season of hard conditioning he could be back up to Catterick at 10. The Newcastle centres are pretty chunky so they'll be no easy 10/12 channel and the aimless kicking from 15 which hurt Falcons this season should be limited by having your best kicker there.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 23 May 2012 - 16:06

Ah Sam thats just confirmed till now. I dully expect more to come.

I agree about.Hodgson offering alot...but.he is.very slight.we shall see though...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Zander Wed 23 May 2012 - 16:14

Any Falcons supporters care to predict the starting XV for Newcastle next season?

Zander

Back to top Go down

Post by TrailApe Wed 23 May 2012 - 16:28

Wait till we have finished signing.

The most important name is not on the pitch though, it belongs to a lumpy potato faced scowly type of guy who will be brooding on the sidelines.

The Falcons have been mismanaged (for various reasons) for a few years now, so a bit of nous at the top is going to be so welcome.
TrailApe
TrailApe

Back to top Go down

Post by Driver Wed 23 May 2012 - 16:57

Seems to be better run on the surface since Semore Kurdi took full control.

Thompson didn't have a clue.
Driver
Driver

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 23 May 2012 - 19:45

I'd like to see a real deal hooker come in.

And id ike us to regain that "old northern toughness" that hey we might lose but by god the other team go home battered and bruised....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Wed 23 May 2012 - 20:26

GeordieFalcon wrote:I'd like to see a real deal hooker come in.

whether you'd class him as real deal or not, but Titterell has just been released by Leeds. His last season in the Jeff for Leeds was excellent until his injury and I feel he has at least 2 years top flight rugby in him. As an ex-Lions hooker the guy does has some pedigree and has a very accurate throw.
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 23 May 2012 - 20:31

He has a very good pedigree...but i want a big physical guy at 2....i prefer that to a lightweight mears , titteral type...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Wed 23 May 2012 - 21:32

GeordieFalcon wrote:Keep jimmy out the way at full back so he can kick....then bring catterick to ten and hodgson to nine.

That would be my preference too Geordie. I think HKC was bang on the money regarding Lawson, an awful ditherer at the breakdown.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Wed 23 May 2012 - 21:39

Hasn't Titterall left to open a gym in Manchester? (or something like that)

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveM Wed 23 May 2012 - 23:14

Pretty uninspiring signings so far. Maybe the fact they are staying in the AP will lead to better things, and if Gopperth does move to 15 that will surely make Nerwcastle much more attractive to watch (although I'm not clear who will be FH).

DaveM

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 23 May 2012 - 23:53

Dave they have to be looking at giving Catterick and Hodgson both a shot at 10...excellent young players...and if Gopperth is at 15 and we're getting a pasting and need to play a kicking game...we have the answer.... Wink

Last edited by GeordieFalcon on Thu 24 May 2012 - 10:04; edited 1 time in total

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 24 May 2012 - 6:46

Geordie - nice to see a Falcons thread.

Swinson leaving is definitely the biggest loss, it's true.

Agree with most of the above - Jimmy is more than talented enough to play at 15 and moving Hodgson to 10 is a risk worth taking - he has loads of potential. The criticisms of Lawson are valid but the fact remains that you're getting a former Scotland captain with a good first pass for buttons (I presume).

The best thing by far Newcastle can do is to ensure that nobody buys Murray or Shiells. Especially Shiells. If I was managing Edinburgh, he would be the first player on my shopping list.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Driver Thu 24 May 2012 - 7:44

In response to this afternoon’s statement from the Rugby Football Union (RFU) that Newcastle Falcons will be playing Aviva Premiership rugby next season, the club appreciates the decision made by the RFU whilst also understanding London Welsh’s current situation.

A statement from the RFU read: “The independent auditors identified various failures, including not having Primacy of Tenure at their nominated ground.

“This states that a club must demonstrate that they can host home fixtures at the time stipulated by Premiership Rugby and/or the host broadcaster.

“The RFU board ratified the findings and agreed, should London Welsh win the RFU Championship final following the second leg on May 30, they would not be eligible for promotion and Newcastle Falcons would remain in the Aviva Premiership.”

The club would like to take this opportunity to thank fans across the region for their continued support as the Falcons embark on an exciting new era under the stewardship of incoming director of rugby Dean Richards.

Commercial director Duncan Edward said: “To be given the lifeline of playing in the Aviva Premiership next season and keeping top-class rugby in the region is unbelievable."
Driver
Driver

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Tue 29 May 2012 - 17:20

Rumour doing the rounds is that we've signed Chris York from Harlequins. I would be outstandingly happy if this is the case, he was very good for the U20's a couple of years ago. Could be an excellent coup if it is true.

He's a dynamic young number 8 who has found himself stuck behind Nick Easter and Tom Guest.

http://www.quins.co.uk/rugby/harlequins_rugby_union_1st_xv.php?player=78131&includeref=dynamic
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveM Tue 29 May 2012 - 20:49

Now he'd be an inspiring signing.

DaveM

Back to top Go down

Post by InjuredYetAgain Tue 29 May 2012 - 21:40

Do Newcastle feel some sort of compulsion to take Scots who are past their best eg Doddie Weir, or who will never have a best eg Scott Macleod?
That said, I do hope that they stay in the AP as having a presence in the NE is very important to stop union taking a lower profile

InjuredYetAgain

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 29 May 2012 - 23:19

To be fair Newcastle have had some pretty decent shifts from Scottish players: Weir, Graham, Armstrong, Walton, Tait, Murray, Hogg, Sheills...some good players there.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Driver Tue 29 May 2012 - 23:23

The signing of York is a good one and the right kind of a signing unlike signing J-League drop outs such as McLeod.
Driver
Driver

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Sat 2 Jun 2012 - 16:24

Chris York confirmed on a two year deal:

http://www.newcastlefalcons.co.uk/news/story/falcons-continue-to-strenghthen-squad
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by alcoombe Sat 2 Jun 2012 - 16:43

That's a good signing

alcoombe

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Sat 2 Jun 2012 - 17:46

York's a decent player and I'm sure he'll do well. That Quins didn't keep him reflects the strength in depth we have in the back row. York is easily AP standard, but was behind Robshaw, Mo, Easter, Guest, Wallace and Skinner at Quins, with Trayfoot breathing down his neck.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by Driver Sun 3 Jun 2012 - 10:56

According to reports in the English press, Newcastle Falcons have appointed former Hawke's Bay boss Peter Russell as head coach.

While the official announcement is subject to a work permit, the Evening Chronicle in Newcastle has reported that the New Zealander has agreed terms with the English club.
The Falcons' Aviva Premiership future remains uncertain after finishing last but avoiding relegation when RFU Championship winners London Welsh were denied promotion based on the suitability of their ground. That decision is still under appeal.
Russell was coach of Hawke's Bay for five seasons, taking the side to three ITM Cup semi-finals.
Incoming director of rugby Dean Richards is keen to see Russell bring the free-flowing style that Russell forged at the Magpies to Falcons.
Richards has admitted he will not do any coaching himself.
Driver
Driver

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Sun 3 Jun 2012 - 11:52

Very happy with York, he'll add some pace to our backrow which is shaping up quite nice.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sun 3 Jun 2012 - 11:58

Good signing....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Driver Sun 3 Jun 2012 - 12:02

There's meant to be a biggie coming soon
Driver
Driver

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveM Sun 3 Jun 2012 - 13:15

If he isn't coaching himself then this must raise serious doubts about whether Gopperth really is going to be moved away from the 10 slot (I'm not sure how credible the alternatives in the squad are at 10).

Still, a coach who believes in free-flowing rugby sounds like a good thing. And Chris York is an excellent signing.

Btw, why is Skinner hanging around at Quins?

DaveM

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next