The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glen Johnson - One more for the Road?

+2
Scottrf
WDR
6 posters

Go down

Glen Johnson - One more for the Road? Empty Glen Johnson - One more for the Road?

Post by WDR Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:34 am

Glen Johnson - One more for the Road?

by Rob Day

One man stands in the way of Carl Froch’s date with destiny, the Super 6 super-middleweight finale, and a meeting with the Andre Ward vs. Arthur Abraham winner. The man known as 'The Road Warrior' due to his willingness to fight anyone, anywhere; Mr Glen Johnson.

Jamaican born Johnson (51-14-2 (35)) has had a long and very successful career, a record that proudly boasts wins over Roy Jones Jnr and Antonio Tarver, a resume that was once again bolstered in his last fight: a fine performance in stopping Allan Green in eight rounds. The win over Green is impressive on a number of levels as it was the first time Johnson had fought in the super-middleweight division in ten years! Many before the fight wondered if the ageing Johnson would lose strength in moving down a division, after years campaigning in the light-heavyweight division but he not only coped, he looked fantastic in winning.

If you want an example of an experienced fighter in boxing then look no further than Johnson; he has fought for various ‘world’ titles from middleweight through to light-heavyweight and he has fought on both sides of the Atlantic against quality opposition and some of the most recognisable names in the sport like Antonio Tarver, Roy Jones Jnr, and Bernard Hopkins. He has travelled, been a late sub and been on the wrong side of dubious decisions.

The former IBF light-heavyweight champion is a man familiar with UK fans over the years, due to his close battles with Clinton Woods; they shared a win apiece and a draw for the IBF 175lb crown. Johnson was meant to fight Joe Calzaghe a couple of times but the fights fell through due to injuries on the Welshman’s side.

WBC super-middleweight champion Froch (27-1, 20 Ko’s) will enter the fight, which has a mooted date of 21st May 2011 (no confirmed venue), as the favourite given his close loss to Mikkel Kessler followed by his superb win and boxing master class over Arthur Abraham. ‘The Cobra’, 33, has the advantages of youth on his side compared to Johnson's 42 years - though Johnson does prove the old adage that ‘age is just a number‘. Height is with Froch, as well, as he stands 6’1" to Johnsons 5’9", while reach is just in Johnson's favour.

Johnson is a rugged, teak-tough campaigner with decent skills and a good work rate, who applies steady pressure and it will take some doing to stop him let alone beat him. Bernard Hopkins is the only man to have stopped him but the fight was so long ago that it really is irrelevant to the ‘here and now‘. Johnson has in the last few years taken Chad Dawson the full twelve (twice) and Tavoris Cloud and neither man had easy night's work, despite the advantages in size and youth.

Carl Froch, a man who seems at the peak of his powers should have too much for Johnson but if he’s not at his best it will be a rough ride. While it's conceivable that Johnson could age overnight we have been saying that for years and I expect the Johnson who impressed against Allan Green, to be the man meeting Carl Froch.

Wiith both men’s track record it’s a case of ‘have gloves - will travel’ and maybe Johnson is looking for one more win for the Road (Warrior). Stranger things have happened and he is very much the live underdog.

Last edited by Hero on Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:35 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : No images please)

WDR

Back to top Go down

Glen Johnson - One more for the Road? Empty Re: Glen Johnson - One more for the Road?

Post by Scottrf Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:10 pm

It's June 4th Atlantic City now mate, hopefully on Sky. Can only see a Froch win, probably on points. Hope so too, a trip to MSG for the final would be nice.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Glen Johnson - One more for the Road? Empty Re: Glen Johnson - One more for the Road?

Post by Guest Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:03 pm

You say you can only see a Froch win, Scott but let's not forget that it's only in Froch's last fight that he's looked anything remotely like World Class. The Dirrell fight showed many of his flaws as did the loss against Kessler, he was losing to Taylor and got drawn into a needless brawl at times with Pascal.

Even at 68 (or whatever he is now) Johnson, like Hopkins, is a tough night for anyone and if Carl isn't fully focused on the fight, it's one that could easily slip away from him.

He won't get away with the same "keep him at long range" tactics he used against Abraham as, for one, Johnson is likely to try throw some punches back. Nor can Froch afford to get dragged into an ugly scrap as Johnson will relish the prospect.

This COULD be a real banana skin for Froch and I think a solid performance will see him come through but it's by no means a given.

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:19 pm

Pascal is better than Johnson though and he beat him, and I think he's learnt lessons from each of his title fights. Froch is used to winning, Johnson not so much. The only worry for me is if he keeps active enough and hopefully he learnt that against Kessler.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:27 pm

Pascal is better than Johnson though

Come on, "fighter A beats fighter B who beats fighter C so A must automatically be better"? This argument is trotted out time and again and is always countered by the equally cliched (but equally valid) "styles make fights"

Froch is used to winning? He LOST against Kessler only two fights ago and squeaked a narrow one against Dirrell, he was also losing on the cards quite handily against Taylor. Froch has certainly found a way to win but I think Johnson's been more convincing of late

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:30 pm

DAVE667 wrote:Pascal is better than Johnson though

Come on, "fighter A beats fighter B who beats fighter C so A must automatically be better"? This argument is trotted out time and again and is always countered by the equally cliched (but equally valid) "styles make fights"
Wasn't what I was saying though was it. I was responding to your point about him getting into a brawl with Pascal (which is presumably how Johnson wins) and still winning.

DAVE667 wrote:
Froch is used to winning? He LOST against Kessler only two fights ago and squeaked a narrow one against Dirrell, he was also losing on the cards quite handily against Taylor. Froch has certainly found a way to win but I think Johnson's been more convincing of late
You've just supported the point there. He's almost always found a way to win even when he struggles.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:57 pm

You've just supported the point there. He's almost always found a way to win even when he struggles.
Not really...and I also said that Johnson has also been winning his fights lately...arguably in better fashion than Froch.

I think most will agree than Johnson is a bit more than just a brawler, Scott

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:16 pm

Somebody doesn't rate Froch

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:18 pm

Soldier_Of _Fortune wrote:Somebody doesn't rate Froch
Who would that be pray tell?

Hope you're not referrin to me. I'm just offering an opinion that whilst Froch looked excellent last time out against Abaham, it shouldn't be used as a barometer to how he'll fare against Johnson or assume that it will be some kind of walkover.

Johnson is no mug...he wouldn't have got offered a place in the Super 6 otherwise.

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:27 pm

i like johnson, but froch should edge this one.
UD for froch, with some hairy moments

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:35 pm

OasisBFC wrote:i like johnson, but froch should edge this one.
UD for froch, with some hairy moments
Agreed, this is a good fight and a shame Froch can't have it at the MEN or similar

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:43 pm

I really like Johnson, it's hard not too, with the ups and downs he's had in his career you've got to respect him for just getting on with it. I'm afraid i'll be rooting for Froch though but wouldn't be disappointed to see 'The Road Warrior' succeed.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by WelshDevilRob Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:15 pm

Scottrf wrote:It's June 4th Atlantic City now mate, hopefully on Sky. Can only see a Froch win, probably on points. Hope so too, a trip to MSG for the final would be nice.

Thanks mate,

I should have added that. I originally wrote the piece for Boxrec before any date was announced and then a week later published it on ringnews24 and added a note at the bottom; that the like date is 4th June in Atlantic City. Mind, even after that Froch was still trying to bring the fight to Nottingham. Very Happy

WelshDevilRob

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down