The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Press cuttings

+2
Biltong
kiakahaaotearoa
6 posters

Go down

Press cuttings Empty Press cuttings

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Thu 24 May 2012, 6:17 pm

Here are some press cuttings I've had a sneak preview of before they're going to be published. They've been in the database just dying to be cut and pasted by journos with closing deadlines.

This one from the NZ Herald: Williams given new lease of life by injection of new blood to AB training camps.
Ali Williams has been inspired by the enthusiasm of the new members at the AB training camps. 'It made me think back to my first ever test jersey and made me realise how much I still wanted to wear the black jersey.After winning the World Cup, things seemed a bit flat and the way the Blues have gone this year, made me enjoy my footy a little less I guess.' Another Blues member who has had an equally difficult season, Ma'a Nonu agreed with his fellow Blues and All Black team-mate. 'It would be an understatement to say things didn't go my way with the move north to the Blues, but surrounded by the new boys at this camp has made me realise my rugby playing days are far from over.

This one from the Sydney Morning Herald: Wallabies will take the attack to Wales Kurtley Beale, the exciting new prospect at flyhalf, is under no illusions what his Wallabies side will face against Wales. 'They are Grand Slam winners and have some big boys who can defend extremely well and also run at pace right at you. But we're also mindful of the fact that if we sit back and let the Wales boys come at us with all guns firing, we'll be making life too difficult to us. We have our own goals in mind and one of those is to make sure we really test out this Wales defence. We have too many exciting players to keep ourselves in shackles and we know our best way to win is to get good ball up front and then bring our playmakers into play.' Beale will be even more at the heart of the Wallaby attack in his new position and Priestland can expect a torrid affair with one of the best backs in world rugby probing his channel for gaps.

This one from the Durban based Mercury: Lack of legends no great loss. Fran Steyn greeted his call up to the SA squad to face England in the upcoming series with a mixture of excitement and nerves. 'We're under no illusions that this young England side is going to be a very formidable opponent for us. In a way, they have already undergone the same changes to their squad that are now happening to the Springboks. They lost players like Tindall and Easter but proved in the 6N that loss of experience but trust in form will see rewards for your side. Obviously losing players like Matfield, Du Preez and Smit as well as some key injuries changes the look of the squad. But I have no doubt in my mind that this squad Meyer has chosen can get the job done for SA and show just how impressive our depth is.

This one from the Times: Something special just around the corner. Ben Morgan was adamant after arriving on South African soil that whilst England do not have the best track record against SA, that could well change in this upcoming series against SA. 'I think it's fair to say most people are writing us off. We're a young squad that probably exceeded the England public's expectations in the 6N but playing away to SA is a different kettle of fish. That said, we wouldn't bother turning up if we didn't truly believe that we are capable of causing an upset. I believe in this group of players and we have already proven that we can perform well and I think we still have a lot more room for improvement. But I see that as an exciting thing and shows SA better watch out for us because we're not here to make up the numbers.'

This one from the Irish Times: One Last Achievement for O'Driscoll Brian O'Driscoll stared at the reporters for what seemed an eternity. You could see the focus in his eyes. He had just been asked will you ever experience a win against the ABs before your career comes to an end? The silence that filled the room and the electric atmosphere that ensued showed a betting man would put his money on an affirmative response. Looking at a man who has achieved almost everything on offer in rugby with European club wins, Grand Slams and multiple Triple Crowns, there remains that one dark, namely black spot, on his career that does no justice to a player that has achieved so much. 'We're under no illusions as to what we face. England did us a big favour because we know that we're much better than that and this AB side may well be complacent thinking of that last match. But I'm adamant that we can spring a surprise or two down here.

This one from the Cardiff Times: Grand Slam means nothing. Ryan Jones landed in Sydney early morning Cardiff Time. Weary from the long flight, he was keen to get into training. These boys are rearing to go. We have a perfect opportunity here to prove ourselves on the world stage. The Grand Slam is irrelevant now. We have to beat a Southern Hemisphere country in their own backyard to prove that this Wales team really means business and the rugby world should sit up and take notice of us. We realise that our record doesn't mean we have respect in this part of the world so the boys are champing at the bit to prove that on our day we truly can beat any side.'

So they should go to press very soon. Watch out for them. Riveting stuff and full of comments that give you a great insight into the mindset of the modern rugby professional player and the mental demons that may lurk within. Give me a fiver for every one that sees the light. I'm a betting man so I'm thinking at least 4 will come true.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Press cuttings Empty Re: Press cuttings

Post by Biltong Thu 24 May 2012, 7:08 pm

So you're the face behind all these news snippets. Shocked
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Thu 24 May 2012, 7:14 pm

The names and papers may be different but I'm quietly confident that we will be at some stage served up with this drivel.

Now I'm not blaming journalists entirely for this. Professional players are too scared now to say something they truly believe lest it be taken the wrong way or used as motivation for the opposition. So we are reduced to either these boring platitudes or these pre-conceived half-baked ideas that offer us nothing in the way of meaningful information. If the players offer you nothing of interest, do some research and offer up something that can provoke some worthwhile debate. furious

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 24 May 2012, 7:35 pm

Stop making excuses Kia, you have become complacent, and don't put enough effort into your journalism.
kiss
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullsbok Thu 24 May 2012, 7:40 pm

i do hope its Kurtley Beale at 10 for the Wobblies . Im curious to see how Wales will handle that hotstepping kangaroo with express pace
Bullsbok
Bullsbok

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Thu 24 May 2012, 9:13 pm

Bullsbok wrote:i do hope its Kurtley Beale at 10 for the Wobblies . Im curious to see how Wales will handle that hotstepping kangaroo with express pace

He cant hotstep if he has his legs taken away. I expect Lydiate and Sam to be looking forward to that one. Three games in 8 days though? He is going to be knackered by the time the welsh match comes around.

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullsbok Thu 24 May 2012, 9:51 pm

TycroesOsprey wrote:
Bullsbok wrote:i do hope its Kurtley Beale at 10 for the Wobblies . Im curious to see how Wales will handle that hotstepping kangaroo with express pace

He cant hotstep if he has his legs taken away. I expect Lydiate and Sam to be looking forward to that one. Three games in 8 days though? He is going to be knackered by the time the welsh match comes around.

Just like the Saders expected Matt Todd, Richie Mccaw and Kieran Reid to take his legs away Whistle (And that was with the Rebels!) imagine the gaps that could potentially appear for the likes of Digby Ioane And AAC to exploit ...
Bullsbok
Bullsbok

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 24 May 2012, 10:28 pm

To be fair, the age in which we live in you'd be a fool to speak your mind in their position. The media and fans jump on anything that deviates too far from what you'd expect them to say. Heck, I'd toe the party line if I was them.

Imagine trying to prepare for a game and then put yourself under extra pressure trying to put out media fires as well. Look at those that try, Hansen and Mitchell made a meal of it, nonu (haka response sulk) made a meal of it. Those that deviate from the party line are cracking at the seams and have succumbed to the pressure. Maybe I missed the point. Give me the AB drivel, shows their minds are focused on what's really important, winning on the field not entertaining us with their wit/insights.

True what you say about the onus being on the journalists though. Most just copy/paste and offer sod all, they're the cunning linguists, not the players. There's a few like Rattue in NZ, whom I'm not a huge fan of, but to be fair he does stimulate debate and makes you think sometimes.

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Thu 24 May 2012, 11:01 pm

My mind is that modern news writers missing all the time what is the point.

For example. Before floating facebook all we read about is whether Mark Zuckerburg wear a suit or not. Nobody talk about is some stupid internet site with no assets and only profit base on make the advertisement and annoy the user really worth 100 billion? And now later they just talk about if some trader guess this already before and not looking too close about the real story. Which one is obvious in that case.

With rugby is always the same thing too. They like to print some cut and paste template and missing the big story.

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullsbok Thu 24 May 2012, 11:15 pm

And thats why the game of rugby needs Peiter De Villers Very Happy. there is no such thing as a banal PDV interview . Even in defeat i would keep watching lonng enough to listen to those post game pearlers from the DIV mo1
Bullsbok
Bullsbok

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Thu 24 May 2012, 11:31 pm

I sure wish Ali G Williams would shut his trap. He's always all talk and no delivery. Earlier on in the season he's urging people to criticise the senior players to deliver, be open and up front with it all.

Well we did, all season, and it all went in one ear and out the other with Ali's, Nonu's and Weepu's (3 senior AB's) performances all contributing to the lack of brains, direction, and most of all skill levels that spread through the Blues squad.

Its no wonder they love being in the AB training camps. Thats because they need them more than the AB's need them to perform. They like getting carried, having the space created for them, tackles made for them so they can ride the wave of success, along the way sprinkling the few skills they have amongst it all to claim the success based on the foundation of the real workers- Thorn, McCaw, Read etc...

Anyway, my rant for the day...work is keeping me from the boards a little.

Does seem to be a bit of a lack of confidence in some NHers re these tours. I'm going to put my hand up and say the Irish will either win, or narrowly lose in a very unfair manner of some respect, in the first test. Then lose the next two due to the sheer bullets that get shot up hansen's a&^%se.

Wales to win one of the three in Oz also and I'm sorry but I don't see England winning one in SA, in my book the hardest place on earth to win a test (speaking as a Kiwi that is) let alone a series.

Happy hunting! thumbsup

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 24 May 2012, 11:42 pm

Pdivvy sure did have a colorful way with words and could bring a sparkle to a story. Perhaps an example of the most shiniest of reasons to stick to the script.

Ali G is a fool, benched for his 100th super game, burn!

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Fri 25 May 2012, 12:52 pm

The latest from the BBC: Losing series to Australia would 'disappoint' Wales. No s**t Sherlock!

Among the gems: Now, with the Wallabies in his sights - not to mention revenge over the Barbarians on his radar - Warburton believes achieving a historic Test series win down under would be "the next natural stepping stone" for Wales.
Asked about Wales' World Cup success coming without such a triumph, he replied: "Without being a pessimist I remember thinking that to myself after the World Cup.
"We still got fourth place, but we still hadn't beaten a southern hemisphere side.
Continue reading the main story

[I've been hoping] to be the captain of a side to beat a southern hemisphere team, not just once, [but] to do it on a more regular basis

Sam Warburton
Wales captain
"So, like the great team of England of 2003, they went down there and beat all three of them and I think that really is what we should try and do... to get a series win is a massive target for us.
"Obviously we know it's not the best record against Australia or against any sort of southern hemisphere side.
"But hopefully that can change now.
"And I think we're all a pretty confident and excited bunch for this tour to Australia.

Check that against my 'Ryan Jones quotation' and it's pretty much the same bland drivel.

I think professional players should have automated messages for journalists: press one if you want a statement about how hard the opposition is and how much we respect them. Press two if you want to hear how motivated our players are. Press three if you want to hear about how we want to make a big statement and move up the rankings.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Fri 25 May 2012, 12:59 pm

You missed the clip about SBW is approach by representative from NHL and consider moving to New England Patriots but then his agent say is just a rumour. Then he photographed in the Hamptons having a vacation.

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Fri 25 May 2012, 1:39 pm

At least that's something different AWOP. But me thinks that's his agent trying to generate a price war for his client and probably supplied the photo himself.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down