The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

8,000 and rising and OSPREYS news Update

+39
gowales
lauriehow
Knowsit17
ScarletSpiderman
justified sinner
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
HammerofThunor
QuickBall
glamorganalun
maestegmafia
LondonTiger
Portnoy
tigerleghorn
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
wayne
Seagultaf
doctornickolas
LordDowlais
Glas a du
Gibson
JayMaster3000
Shifty
Welshmushroom
thebluesmancometh
geoff998rugby
Cari
Smirnoffpriest
profitius
Feckless Rogue
sugarNspikes
doctor_grey
wales606
Knackeredknees
nathan
Casartelli
mrzimmerman
Cymroglan
Cardiff Dave
welshman4life
43 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

8,000 and rising and OSPREYS news Update Empty 8,000 and rising and OSPREYS news Update

Post by welshman4life Sat 26 May - 21:49

New news update........

Hooker targeting more Ospreys action- http://www.ospreysrugby.com/news/5451.php

Internationals return to work at Llandarcy- http://www.ospreysrugby.com/news/5450.php

Relive the end of season PRO12 drama with our fantastic CH4MPIONS DVD- http://www.ospreysrugby.com/news/5453.php

Last edited by welshman4life on Wed 25 Jul - 17:56; edited 5 times in total (Reason for editing : UPDATED)

welshman4life

Back to top Go down

8,000 and rising and OSPREYS news Update Empty Re: 8,000 and rising and OSPREYS news Update

Post by Cardiff Dave Sat 26 May - 23:08

Since the Os are offering bogof deals on season tickets it's not that remarkable is it really?
Also, compared with Leicester who have SOLD over 10,000 season tickets already at full price, we in Wales have a fair way to go to catch up.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

8,000 and rising and OSPREYS news Update Empty Re: 8,000 and rising and OSPREYS news Update

Post by Cymroglan Sat 26 May - 23:11

Well done the Ospreys.I wonder what the rest of the regions season ticket sales are like.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Sat 26 May - 23:20

Cymroglan wrote:Well done the Ospreys.I wonder what the rest of the regions season ticket sales are like.

I'll bet you a tenner that Cardiff Blues will "sell" more than the Ospreys.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by mrzimmerman Sun 27 May - 7:26

Unnecessary article. Why can't we just enjoy a quiet resurgence? As Dave says Leinster have sold 11500. We've needed an outstanding offer to sell half that. Though I commend your enthusiasm welshman4life I do think your aticle would have best remained unwritten.

mrzimmerman

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Sun 27 May - 9:10

Just to clarify - are they including the free ones in the total? So they've actually sold 2,500 and given 2,500 away???

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sun 27 May - 9:12

Do they need the money though? perhaps getting more bums on seats is more important than the revenue.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Knackeredknees Sun 27 May - 9:22

Whats the totals from the scarlett's, dragons and blues to compare it with, could be just the same or less

Knackeredknees

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sun 27 May - 11:31

Knackeredknees wrote:Whats the totals from the scarlett's, dragons and blues to compare it with, could be just the same or less

Blues don't go on general sale until next week (monday) - it will be interesting to see the demand.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sun 27 May - 11:38

nathan wrote:Do they need the money though? perhaps getting more bums on seats is more important than the revenue.
I think getting more people in the stadium is another way to increase revenue. Instead of looking only at the tickets sold and the primary revenue stream, they are looking at more people buying food and drink, souvenirs, and merchandise. And more people talking up the team could build interest. Kind of investment in the future. Certainly having more people in the stadium will improve the atmosphere as well.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by sugarNspikes Sun 27 May - 11:41

nathan wrote:Do they need the money though? perhaps getting more bums on seats is more important than the revenue.
Yeah, getting fans through the gates and supporting the side is important and some of the freebies may continue to go or buy tickets in the future (plus spend on merchandise - we know how Ospreylians love tat Wink). However, it's a bit weird to start boasting about season ticket "sales" when you've given half of them away (plus corporates)!

sugarNspikes

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Sun 27 May - 13:20

Are they including the free giveaways in the total!?

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Sun 27 May - 13:29

You can't expect Ospreys to match the season ticket sales of Liecester or Leinster with the click of a finger. So those comparisons are pointless. It'll take years to build up to that level. So any annual improvement is a good thing.

welshman4life has just posted a small good news story about a Welsh region. I can't believe there are Welsh people trying to denigrate it and tell him he shouldn't have posted it. Lighten up lads. Wales has some of the most talented players in Europe. Go and watch them. Enjoy the rugby and stop the constant grumbling and complaining. The more support the regions get the more successful they'll be.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Sun 27 May - 13:50

Feckless Rogue wrote:You can't expect Ospreys to match the season ticket sales of Liecester or Leinster with the click of a finger. So those comparisons are pointless. It'll take years to build up to that level. So any annual improvement is a good thing.

welshman4life has just posted a small good news story about a Welsh region. I can't believe there are Welsh people trying to denigrate it and tell him he shouldn't have posted it. Lighten up lads. Wales has some of the most talented players in Europe. Go and watch them. Enjoy the rugby and stop the constant grumbling and complaining. The more support the regions get the more successful they'll be.

Whingers looking to make excuses for a good news story. And they wonder why regional rugby hasn't kicked on...
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Sun 27 May - 13:51

Not sure that anyone on here is trying to 'denigrate' the post???

Just trying to clarify what the Ospreys are claiming to have achieved?

Tis all.

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Sun 27 May - 13:55

Feckless Rogue wrote:You can't expect Ospreys to match the season ticket sales of Liecester or Leinster with the click of a finger. So those comparisons are pointless. It'll take years to build up to that level. So any annual improvement is a good thing.

+1

Though its one of the things we do best in Wales - moaning and put downs.

Seems any increase on last year is worth shouting about in the face of all the negativity and supposed 'player exodus' and 'regions failing' stories that have been shouted about (with little facts) this season.
Other teams season ticket sales have little bearing as the articles not comparing Ospreys sales to anyone else's just their own sales from previous years.

Though of course the different offers (such as Ospreys exiles one) and the shared season ticket will have a bearing on this, but it still sounds positive (and if the Blues/Scarlets/Dragons can beat it then so much the better for Welsh rugby)

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Sun 27 May - 14:15

Casartelli wrote:Not sure that anyone on here is trying to 'denigrate' the post???

Just trying to clarify what the Ospreys are claiming to have achieved?

Tis all.

Fair enough Casartelli, it's a legitimate question.

If crowds are up when next season kicks off it can only be a good thing though.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sun 27 May - 14:54

Oh here we go again... Rolling Eyes Can't we all just be glad that Welsh regional rugby won't suffer as badly as previously thought? It's not a ticket selling competition.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Sun 27 May - 15:30

Cari wrote:Oh here we go again... Rolling Eyes Can't we all just be glad that Welsh regional rugby won't suffer as badly as previously thought? It's not a ticket selling competition.

That's a fair comment. Maybe, indeed, the regions and the WRU should be able to announce absolutely anything, anything at all, and we should all rejoice at the good news without questioning it.

After all, it's produced 3 Grand Slams, regardless of how dire the regions have always been (brief period of Ospreys consistency aside).

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Sun 27 May - 15:50

Casartelli wrote:
Cari wrote:Oh here we go again... Rolling Eyes Can't we all just be glad that Welsh regional rugby won't suffer as badly as previously thought? It's not a ticket selling competition.

That's a fair comment. Maybe, indeed, the regions and the WRU should be able to announce absolutely anything, anything at all, and we should all rejoice at the good news without questioning it.

After all, it's produced 3 Grand Slams, regardless of how dire the regions have always been (brief period of Ospreys consistency aside).

Or maybe they can just focus on improvements (and slight improvements) like this news article?

Especially when exposed to the constant negative drively such as the 'player exodus' which would have you believe that every good player will be playing in France next year

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Sun 27 May - 16:13

Smirnoffpriest wrote:
Casartelli wrote:

Or maybe they can just focus on improvements (and slight improvements) like this news article?

Especially when exposed to the constant negative drively such as the 'player exodus' which would have you believe that every good player will be playing in France next year

I have no wish to see any 'constant negative drively' (?) but the good news stories have to be genuine otherwise it makes us look amateur.

Issuing more season tickets if half of them are free giveaways isn't an improvement, slight or otherwise. No reason to try and spin this as something 'positive'. As people have said, it all depends on how many turn up to watch next season. Until then, keep quiet about it.

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Mon 28 May - 9:33

I think it is a legitimate question to ask if it is a good news story.

If Ospreys had sold 5000 Season Tickets that would be excellent news
If however the figure is only 2500, ani it is only 5000 because of BOGOF, then to be honest that is nothing to get excited about.

The real question is what is the difference between the sold ST's for 2011-12 compared to 2012-13

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Mon 28 May - 11:23

Casartelli wrote:Are they including the free giveaways in the total!?

According to the Os forum "its the number shifted to date".
Also existing members introducing a new member get a "£50 Club Shop" voucher plus there is a save £20 early bird offer.
Bargains galore.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Mon 28 May - 11:29

Dave but is that number of sales or number of tickets shifted???

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Mon 28 May - 11:31

doctor_grey wrote:I think getting more people in the stadium is another way to increase revenue. Instead of looking only at the tickets sold and the primary revenue stream, they are looking at more people buying food and drink, souvenirs, and merchandise. And more people talking up the team could build interest. Kind of investment in the future. Certainly having more people in the stadium will improve the atmosphere as well.

True to some degree and ticket sales are only a small part of income generation overall.
Re food and drink sales; Cardiff Blues at CCS benefitted very little since all the catering was provided by a seperate company who kept the lions share. No idea what the arrangement is at the Liberty.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Mon 28 May - 11:32

thebluesmancometh wrote:Dave but is that number of sales or number of tickets shifted???

All that have been shifted, whether sold or free.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Mon 28 May - 11:37

So 2500 as of yet then?!

garbage, I was really excited by the news of 5000 tickets sold (as the commentator anounced on S4C)

I am picking my Blues season ticket up today, they are projecting 1000 today aren't they?

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Mon 28 May - 11:57

thebluesmancometh wrote:So 2500 as of yet then?!

garbage, I was really excited by the news of 5000 tickets sold (as the commentator anounced on S4C)

I am picking my Blues season ticket up today, they are projecting 1000 today aren't they?

Dunno. Where did you get that info from?

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Mon 28 May - 12:16

Friend who works at the box office. Not sure how accurate, might just be a rumour going around the offices as the move back excites people!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Mon 28 May - 12:27

thebluesmancometh wrote:Friend who works at the box office. Not sure how accurate, might just be a rumour going around the offices as the move back excites people!

Tickets can be purchased in person or over the phone between 10am and 7pm, so 1000 would equate to over 100 season tickets per hour.
I doubt it somehow.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Mon 28 May - 19:00

I think the point here is even if the Ospreys give away 50% of their tickets it stands to reason the supporters are young ones. Eventually young supporters will be the next generation of Ospreys supporters. So maybe they wont make the income they would hope for but it builds for a better atmosphere and long term survivability. Infact im glad youngsters can go watch pro rugby free and see some of their heros because I doubt many will see Wales play internationally.

Well done Ospreys.

On a side note I think this is also down to how Tandy has them playing now. I've always said they used to try to over complicate the game. Its great seeing them play with freedom and scoring tries. The better the product gets the more demand for tickets will be. Good job Tandy!!

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Mon 28 May - 19:03

Cardiff Dave wrote:

I heard a lot of the Arms Park faithful wouldnt sign up when they moved. I'd imagine season tickets would go up now that they are back in Cardiff Centre. Plus the matchday walk in crowd will defnitly be higher. Would have thought they can probably expect 8k-9k average gates easily. The real issue is that seating/standing there is dependant per game and i think they are limited to 11k anyway.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Mon 28 May - 19:14

11k is perfect for Blues. Filling the stadium should be doable if they play well, and full stadium = better atmosphere. In my opinion a good home support improves the teams performances too.

I guess Ospreys win yesterday is good for the league. Should help them increase attendances. I want the Welsh regions to reach their full potential. So the league can continue to drive up all our standards.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Mon 28 May - 20:24

Casartelli wrote:Just to clarify - are they including the free ones in the total? So they've actually sold 2,500 and given 2,500 away???

Actually no, you can buy one and get one new one free and you can also have up to 4 children under 16 free, so tecnically you can buy 1 seat and get 6 seats, in theory. Though I think the Ospreys are more interested in generating an atmosphere then selling tickets at the moment, the club shop is always choc a bloc on match days they must make a fortune there.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by JayMaster3000 Mon 28 May - 20:37

Feckless Rogue wrote:11k is perfect for Blues. Filling the stadium should be doable if they play well, and full stadium = better atmosphere. In my opinion a good home support improves the teams performances too.

I guess Ospreys win yesterday is good for the league. Should help them increase attendances. I want the Welsh regions to reach their full potential. So the league can continue to drive up all our standards.

Completely agree. It's important that the league as a whole does well. It is just not about winning the league or getting into the play-offs but the opposition that your team plays on a cold February night and your team beating a powerful well known team away, hopefully with both occasions being in packed stadiums because of the prestige and quality of opposition. Lots of ticket sales, quality rugby and in packed stadiums will help all teams in the league.

That's why I think it is easier to sell Celtic rugby as a brand rather than what we have now. If I could change three things in the league that could help all the regions/provinces have maximum season tickets sales:-

1)Get rid of the Italians
2)Get the old Celtic Trophy/name back
3)Have the Grand final in a National Stadium - like the English do, perhaps take turns at the three national stadium every year or in the country of the team that finishes top.

JayMaster3000

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Mon 28 May - 20:58

Welshmushroom wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:

I heard a lot of the Arms Park faithful wouldnt sign up when they moved. I'd imagine season tickets would go up now that they are back in Cardiff Centre. Plus the matchday walk in crowd will defnitly be higher. Would have thought they can probably expect 8k-9k average gates easily. The real issue is that seating/standing there is dependant per game and i think they are limited to 11k anyway.

14,000 - hopefully 16
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Mon 28 May - 21:13

AlynDavies wrote:
Casartelli wrote:Just to clarify - are they including the free ones in the total? So they've actually sold 2,500 and given 2,500 away???

Actually no, you can buy one and get one new one free and you can also have up to 4 children under 16 free, so tecnically you can buy 1 seat and get 6 seats, in theory. Though I think the Ospreys are more interested in generating an atmosphere then selling tickets at the moment, the club shop is always choc a bloc on match days they must make a fortune there.

Sorry Alyn - I'm even more confused now. Are you suggesting they've actually sold 833 season tickets, but are claiming this as a membership of 5000? By including the free one and the kids seats?

They've just pulled off a fantastic win away to Leinster, they don't need this kind of 'good news story' mumbo jumbo.

It would be a genuine shame if the management/laptop/marketing entourage weren't of the same calibre as the playing squad.

Best stick to the facts, eh?

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Mon 28 May - 21:36

Jay,

1. I don't see the point of ditching the Italians. Treviso have brought something different. They've a tough pack.

2. I get your point. The whole Celtic thing makes it a neater brand, but I don't think it makes that much difference in terms of selling the league.

3. I agree. In France they have all the playoffs in one city, and the fans of all teams converge into one place for a carnival of rugby. We could rotate "the playoff's" as a whole between the 4 nations. I just wonder would they fill a national stadium in Italy, Scotland or Wales?

Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Mon 28 May - 23:28

This is great news for the Celtic League. As well as Ospreys. And Im delighted a negative trend is being turned around.

Was not too happy on Sunday. Gutted. But O's showed their mettle, no end of skill and power and they need fear no one in Europe. I think O's will move on up and build on this season. Not by throwing money at it, but by development from within.

Tandy seems like an honest and down-to-Earth dude. There are some really excellent players coming through, to supplement and reinforce the quality of the existing ones. The more fans turn up to support your side, the better they will play and the stronger ye will grow financially. Better able to hang on to your best players in future and to develop more quality in your Academy. It will snowball.

It's so simple. But so true. Be proud O's fans. Support your region in droves. They deserve it.

Believe.

P.S. If we meet ye in the Heino pool games, we will knock 7-bells of shoite out of ye. We are not that nice when it comes to our Cup. zen
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Tue 29 May - 5:57

Oi Hobo, can we have a "save this post for future reference" function?
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Tue 29 May - 8:06

Were going up there this afternoon to get our season tickets. Very Happy
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Tue 29 May - 10:53

Welshmushroom wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:

You heard right as many believed it was a very bad idea financially which proved to be the case in spectacular fashion.
As you say the matchday walk in crowd will definitely be higher as CAP is one of the most conveniently located rugby grounds on the planet.
The capacity at CAP next season will be 12,500, the same as it has been for a long time before H&S decided differently.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Tue 29 May - 12:17

Cardiff Dave wrote:
Welshmushroom wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:

You heard right as many believed it was a very bad idea financially which proved to be the case in spectacular fashion.
As you say the matchday walk in crowd will definitely be higher as CAP is one of the most conveniently located rugby grounds on the planet.
The capacity at CAP next season will be 12,500, the same as it has been for a long time before H&S decided differently.

Do you know if they've decided where the supporters village will go? (I was wondering if they'd borrow a part of the Holiday Inn carpark like the WRU do on international days - though it would be more expensive of course)

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Tue 29 May - 12:52

Smirnoffpriest wrote:
Do you know if they've decided where the supporters village will go? (I was wondering if they'd borrow a part of the Holiday Inn carpark like the WRU do on international days - though it would be more expensive of course)

I love CAP. It always keeps on giving.
I believe the bit of the Holiday Inn car park you refer to is owned by CAC, so is part of CAP and therefore a nice little earner. I doubt they will bother using it for Cardiff Blues games however.
Supposedly the "supporters' village" or "Funland", if it happens, will be situated somewhere between the entrance to the clubhouse and the MS.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Tue 29 May - 15:17

Ospreys season ticket FAQs;

http://www.ospreysrugby.com/ticketing/5278.php

and

"We have been up front and honest about our primary aim next season, which is to increase the number of people coming to watch the Ospreys week-in, week-out."

http://www.ospreysrugby.com/ticketing/5322.php

Might work. Might not, but they had to try something. One things for sure, with £50 vouchers for those renewing, they will shift lorry loads of jerseys.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Tue 29 May - 15:35

Cardiff Dave wrote:
Smirnoffpriest wrote:

I believe the bit of the Holiday Inn car park you refer to is owned by CAC, so is part of CAP and therefore a nice little earner. I doubt they will bother using it for Cardiff Blues games however.
Supposedly the "supporters' village" or "Funland", if it happens, will be situated somewhere between the entrance to the clubhouse and the MS.

I know there's the CAP car park - which as you say is a nice earner Mon-Fri as they used to rent it out to the Assembly, but now charge office workers to park there. I meant the little bit of the Holiday Inns small car park which when there's an international there's usually a Guiness/Carlsberg truck there and a burger van. If that's owned by CAP then they must make a tidy bit off the Holiday Inn as well!

Still good to know that their getting a supporters village bit

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Tue 29 May - 16:24

Smirnoffpriest wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:
Smirnoffpriest wrote:

I know there's the CAP car park - which as you say is a nice earner Mon-Fri as they used to rent it out to the Assembly, but now charge office workers to park there. I meant the little bit of the Holiday Inns small car park which when there's an international there's usually a Guiness/Carlsberg truck there and a burger van. If that's owned by CAP then they must make a tidy bit off the Holiday Inn as well!

Still good to know that their getting a supporters village bit

Yep, its owned by CAC and included in the lease to CRFC ltd.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Tue 29 May - 16:27

Holiday inn rent it from CAC don't they? As the land it's built on?

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Tue 29 May - 17:06

thebluesmancometh wrote:Holiday inn rent it from CAC don't they? As the land it's built on?

That's what I thought and I bet CAC don't charge enough.
Considering what Cardiff RFC get for £98k pa, they could double it and it would still be an absolute bargain.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 29 May - 17:57

I think that this is a very canny idea by the Ospreys. They are starting to get something special together down there and the more they can get in next season the more will come back the season after if they enjoy what they are buying into. I f the Ospreys have a succsesfull season next time out, I bet most of the freebies that are going next season will be paying to come back the season after. Also, they have premiership football to compete with so I think, in my opinion, they are doing the right thing. clap

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next