The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WHAT WOULD YOU ADD TO BOXING???

+16
Rodney
Scottrf
azania
BALTIMORA
TRUSSMAN66
Rowley
Mr Bounce
TechInept
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
oxring
D4thincarnation
WelshDevilRob
Jukebox Timebomb
HumanWindmill
88Chris05
ONETWOFOREVER
20 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

WHAT WOULD YOU ADD TO BOXING??? Empty WHAT WOULD YOU ADD TO BOXING???

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Tue 05 Apr 2011, 3:59 pm

With the introduction of prize fighter proving to be a great success, are their any other ideas you would like to see brought into the sport. Its no secrete that boxing's popularity has dipped in the last few years. Of course there are many factors to be addressed like the dire heavyweight scene but I would like to know if there are anything you can think of that might inject some excitment again in boxing. Boxing is no stranger to left field ideas using boxing as a platform to add a little spice and value for money. In fact a certain heavyweight champion in the great Tommy Burns defended his title twice in 1 night, George Forman fought 5 men 1 after another in a now infamous night of heavyweight boxing. My idea would be to do away with draws. How about using the K 1 idea of fighting 1 more round if after 6, 8, 10 or 12 rounds of boxing the fight is a draw

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

WHAT WOULD YOU ADD TO BOXING??? Empty Re: WHAT WOULD YOU ADD TO BOXING???

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 05 Apr 2011, 4:01 pm

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:With the introduction of prize fighter proving to be a great success, are their any other ideas you would like to see brought into the sport. Its no secrete that boxing's popularity has dipped in the last few years. Of course there are many factors to be addressed like the dire heavyweight scene but I would like to know if there are anything you can think of that might inject some excitment again in boxing. Boxing is no stranger to left field ideas using boxing as a platform to add a little spice and value for money. In fact a certain heavyweight champion in the great Tommy Burns defended his title twice in 1 night, George Forman fought 5 men 1 after another in a now infamous night of heavyweight boxing. My idea would be to do away with draws. How about using the K 1 idea of fighting 1 more round if after 6, 8, 10 or 12 rounds of boxing the fight is a draw

Spinning backfist, mate. That's what I want to see in boxing.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Tue 05 Apr 2011, 4:01 pm

Burns didn't defend twice in one night, ONETWO, though given some of his challengers he probably could have.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Jukebox Timebomb Tue 05 Apr 2011, 4:03 pm

Topless ring card girls.

Jukebox Timebomb

Back to top Go down

Post by WelshDevilRob Tue 05 Apr 2011, 4:07 pm

A huge shed.

A place to store all the worthless belts and the organisations behind them. Very Happy

WelshDevilRob

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Tue 05 Apr 2011, 4:08 pm

Erm you are wrong windy Burns first two title defenses came nearly simultaneously as he brutally knocked out Jim O’Brien and James Walker in back to back fights on the same card just one month after dethroning Hart. O’Brien and Walker were novices, punching bags at best, who hadn’t a win between them when they challenged Burns, but even so, the idea of defending a title twice in one night makes a bold comment about how different the game was in the early years of the twentieth century.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Tue 05 Apr 2011, 4:15 pm

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:Erm you are wrong windy Burns first two title defenses came nearly simultaneously as he brutally knocked out Jim O’Brien and James Walker in back to back fights on the same card just one month after dethroning Hart. O’Brien and Walker were novices, punching bags at best, who hadn’t a win between them when they challenged Burns, but even so, the idea of defending a title twice in one night makes a bold comment about how different the game was in the early years of the twentieth century.

Almost every source records these as exhibitions only, and they are not attributed to him as title defences by historians.

Only the promoter and ONE newspaper billed these as title fights.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Tue 05 Apr 2011, 4:18 pm

He defended his title windy exhibition or not, the titles were on the line.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Tue 05 Apr 2011, 4:19 pm

Smaller gloves, or a rule putting the limit on size of gloves.

It is a joke now with some fighters going into the ring with pillows attached to their fists.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Tue 05 Apr 2011, 4:34 pm

D4thincarnation wrote:Smaller gloves, or a rule putting the limit on size of gloves.

It is a joke now with some fighters going into the ring with pillows attached to their fists.

Why don't we just get rid of gloves all together and allow them to fight with chains on their fists, Roman style. Would that make it safer?

Sorry mate, couldn't resist Wink
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Tue 05 Apr 2011, 5:08 pm

oxring wrote:
D4thincarnation wrote:Smaller gloves, or a rule putting the limit on size of gloves.

Why don't we just get rid of gloves all together and allow them to fight with chains on their fists, Roman style. Would that make it safer?

Nothing wrong with the padding, it the size of these gloves. Smaller gloves will make for a more entertaining fights.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 05 Apr 2011, 5:22 pm

oxring wrote:

The other safe option is plaster in the wraps!

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 05 Apr 2011, 5:32 pm

Would like to see Prizefighter winners being crowned #1 contender for the British title or if it is vacant then just for the title.. Take top 8 at British level in the weight except the champ and let them go at it. If the champ wanted in like Sykes did then make him put his title on the line.
In a dream world we would have 1 governing body with 1 world title at each weight and a few less weight think 17 is just to many.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 05 Apr 2011, 6:05 pm

How about giving both fighters three 30 second power-plays per fight meaning the boxer on the receiving end must drop his hands to waist level. I do joke of course!

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 05 Apr 2011, 6:11 pm

FreekShow wrote:How about giving both fighters three 30 second power-plays per fight meaning the boxer on the receiving end must drop his hands to waist level. I do joke of course!

Wouldn't be a problem if you were fighting Malignaggi might be for Paulie though.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by TechInept Wed 06 Apr 2011, 2:03 am

I'm not a fan of draws either, but the extra round thing is ludicrous, much more realistic is the idea of a kind of 'penalty shoot out'. First flip a coin, decide who'd punch first, then take it in turns, almost conkers, except without the glasses. Last man standing gets the W.

Also glad no-one has mentioned chess-boxing, which is filth and should be banned.
I can see them developing ufc-checkers succsessfully though on account of not having to watch those half guarded-undeniably-hetro competitors lay on their backs for consecutive rounds. Would have been chess of course, but sadly nobody could work out how the horsey moved. They'll tell you stright-faced that really chess is boring, because hardly any pieces are taken and you never actually see the king getting captured...At least in checkers you get to watch the last man die. I mostly called it checkers because I'm fairly sure I can't spell draughts. You never know Rolling Eyes

TechInept

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Wed 06 Apr 2011, 8:20 am

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:He defended his title windy exhibition or not, the titles were on the line.

Fair enough, mate. I guess it comes down to interpretation, and while I still disagree with you I also see your point.

Nice idea for a thread, by the way.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 06 Apr 2011, 8:55 am

***IF THE FIGHT IS A DRAW***

We then go to a "Lucky Dip/Lottery" scenario. There are three boxes of ping pong balls and they are drawn out one at a time.

The first box will tell us how many extra rounds the fight will go.

The second box tells us the name of a specific punch.

The third box tells us the number of punches to be landed.

So....3, left hook, 6 = The fight goes on another three rounds and the first fighter to land six left hooks is declared the winner.

A bit like the "Golden Goal" in football

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Wed 06 Apr 2011, 9:04 am

1. ONE world title at each weight.

2. The number 1 contender to fight the champion next.

3. If/when the no 1 contender is beaten or becomes champion, the no 2 & 3 contenders fight to become the no 1 contender.

4. If any champion tries to duck a contender, they are immediately stripped and 1 & 2 contenders contest the vacant title.

5. Each champion may fight their first defence at a home venue, the next overseas, then home, then overseas and so on to avoid "stay-at-home" fighters and home decisions.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 06 Apr 2011, 9:26 am

Personally would add a couple more weight classes and an extra governing body. Think with thinking like this my job as Suleman's right hand man can surely be only a matter of time

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 06 Apr 2011, 9:35 am

If the fight is a draw...........

The fighter with this best looking chick gets the decision.......

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 06 Apr 2011, 10:36 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:If the fight is a draw...........

The fighter with this best looking chick gets the decision.......
That's you knackered then...Celia Imrie's never made the "FHM Top 100"

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Wed 06 Apr 2011, 10:40 am

Blindfolds!!

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 06 Apr 2011, 10:46 am

Better safety procedures introduced for all boxers, such as loaded gloves.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Wed 06 Apr 2011, 10:47 am

BALTIMORA wrote:Blindfolds!!

Already been done, BALTI.

It was a variation on the ' Battle Royals ' of the late 19th. and early 20th. centuries. These featured several fighters, ( normally of African extraction, ) bundled together into the same ring, sometimes blindfolded, with the last man standing declared the winner. His ' purse ' would be the coins thrown into the ring by the mainly white audience.

Jack Johnson took part in these, and some say that Joe Gans did, also, though that is disputed.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Wed 06 Apr 2011, 10:48 am

Royal Rumbles. Compulsory stringent anti-drug testing of the highest standard. Or, failing that, all fighters are allowed to imbibe absolutely any substance they can get their mitts on.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Wed 06 Apr 2011, 10:51 am

HumanWindmill wrote:

It was a variation on the ' Battle Royals ' of the late 19th. and early 20th. centuries. These featured several fighters, ( normally of African extraction, ) bundled together into the same ring, sometimes blindfolded, with the last man standing declared the winner. His ' purse ' would be the coins thrown into the ring by the mainly white audience.

Jack Johnson took part in these, and some say that Joe Gans did, also, though that is disputed.

I read about Johnson taking part in them, in his biography. If only some of those had been commited to film..! I'm now picturing something that's a cross between 'It's a Knockout' and 'Thunderdome'...I think it could work, really.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 06 Apr 2011, 10:51 am

In the case of Audley, I'd add actually throwing punches.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Wed 06 Apr 2011, 10:59 am

BALTIMORA wrote:
HumanWindmill wrote:

I read about Johnson taking part in them, in his biography. If only some of those had been commited to film..! I'm now picturing something that's a cross between 'It's a Knockout' and 'Thunderdome'...I think it could work, really.

More entertaining than some of the stuff we see today, for sure.

Johnson accredited his reflexes and some of his defensive techniques, at least in part, to his having taken part in these affairs.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Wed 06 Apr 2011, 11:03 am

I can imagine that having to watch out for punches being thrown from four opponents simultaneously could hone a fighter somewhat!

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 06 Apr 2011, 11:06 am

How can you inprove your reflexes in a fight when you are blindfolded?

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Wed 06 Apr 2011, 11:07 am

Scottrf wrote:How can you inprove your reflexes in a fight when you are blindfolded?

They weren't always blindfolded, Scott, as I mentioned in my post.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Wed 06 Apr 2011, 11:09 am

The blindfolded part was just me being stupid...

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 06 Apr 2011, 11:51 am

HumanWindmill wrote:
BALTIMORA wrote:
HumanWindmill wrote:

Johnson accredited his reflexes and some of his defensive techniques, at least in part, to his having taken part in these affairs.
Didn't they used to do something similar in England when lads would fight each other and their "purse" was essentially what people threw in the ring and they could collect thus ensuring they'd beat each other senseless?

I may be mistaken (it's been known to happen in the past) but wasn't term "fighting for nobs"? (And we're back to Wlad)

Last edited by DAVE667 on Wed 06 Apr 2011, 11:59 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Wed 06 Apr 2011, 11:57 am

DAVE667 wrote:
HumanWindmill wrote:
BALTIMORA wrote:
HumanWindmill wrote:

Didn't they used to do something similar in England when lads would fight each other and theur "purse" was essentially what people threw in the ring and they could collect thus ensuring they'd beat each other senseless.

I may be mistaken (it's been known to happen in the past) but wasn't term "fighting for nobs"? (And we're back to Wlad)

I believe it's still half time entertainment at Millwall, Dave.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 06 Apr 2011, 12:00 pm

I'd give up drinking for a month if they showed ANY kind of fight at Anfield!

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Wed 06 Apr 2011, 12:04 pm

DAVE667 wrote:I'd give up drinking for a month if they showed ANY kind of fight at Anfield!

Kenny will sort them out, you'll see.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Wed 06 Apr 2011, 12:08 pm

HumanWindmill wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:I'd give up drinking for a month if they showed ANY kind of fight at Anfield!

You've got more chance of the Tories, sorting the country out.

Cheers

Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 06 Apr 2011, 12:13 pm

Rodney wrote:
HumanWindmill wrote:

You've got more chance of the Tories, sorting the country out.

Cheers

Rodders

Bloody hell Rodders, for a minute I thought you said "more chance of TORRES sorting the country out"

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob Wed 06 Apr 2011, 12:17 pm

Jukebox Timebomb wrote:Topless ring card girls.

Maybe it's my ageing libido, maybe it's the free and easy access to hardcore pornography on the internet, but these days I'd be so much more impressed by the collie from Britain's Got Talent holding up the round card whilst standing on its back two legs........

Bob

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 06 Apr 2011, 12:19 pm

Bob wrote:

Maybe it's my ageing libido, maybe it's the free and easy access to hardcore pornography on the internet, but these days I'd be so much more impressed by the collie from Britain's Got Talent holding up the round card whilst standing on its back two legs........
Hey, there's more to Amanda Holden than her being able to stand upright

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Wed 06 Apr 2011, 12:21 pm

video referrees maybe???

tag team partners

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Wed 06 Apr 2011, 12:28 pm

eddyfightfan wrote:video referrees maybe???

tag team partners

We're not far off the ' tag team ' bit with the Klitschkos.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 06 Apr 2011, 12:33 pm

HumanWindmill wrote:
eddyfightfan wrote:video referrees maybe???

tag team partners

We're not far off the ' tag team ' bit with the Klitschkos.
but enough of Wlad's sexual proclivities.....

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob Wed 06 Apr 2011, 12:44 pm

DAVE667 wrote:
Bob wrote:

Hey, there's more to Amanda Holden than her being able to stand upright

I'm sure Les Dennis wishes she spent more of their marriage upright.

Bob

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Wed 06 Apr 2011, 1:11 pm

How about winner takes all or even a 75 / 25 split to the winner. This would put some hunger back into the fight!

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Wed 06 Apr 2011, 2:43 pm

or bonus for 1st round KO, which reduces every round till the 12th

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed 06 Apr 2011, 2:59 pm

I've already posted something I would like to add but could we reverse it and remove Frank Warren?
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by STC Wed 06 Apr 2011, 4:13 pm

rowley wrote:Personally would add a couple more weight classes and an extra governing body.

I like this one.

I also think the WBA needs a new world title. Having an Interim World Champion, a Regular World Champion, a Unified World Champion, and a Super World Champion just isn't enough. I propose they introduce a new WBA "No honestly mate, I am a legit World Champion, honest" World Champion.
STC
STC

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Wed 06 Apr 2011, 4:16 pm

STC wrote:
rowley wrote:Personally would add a couple more weight classes and an extra governing body.

I like this one.

I also think the WBA needs a new world title. Having an Interim World Champion, a Regular World Champion, a Unified World Champion, and a Super World Champion just isn't enough. I propose they introduce a new WBA "No honestly mate, I am a legit World Champion, honest" World Champion.

Careful what you wish for, STC.

Won't be long before Holyfield is WBA Incontinent champ.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next