The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Filling the Rabo vacancy

+4
Coleman
LeinsterFan4life
Shifty
InjuredYetAgain
8 posters

Go down

Filling the Rabo vacancy Empty Filling the Rabo vacancy

Post by InjuredYetAgain Tue May 29, 2012 9:32 pm

I am kind of borrowing from a couple of threads here but, apart from tv contracts etc, what is to stop, say, the Spanish or Portugese national sides taking Aironi's place. This would have the benefits of opening up new audience but also giving these developing nations quasi-test matches against the likes of Leinster and we can the gauge where they stand in the overall hierarchy without them taking our place in the 6N (s has been suggested) and conceding 100 odd points per game

InjuredYetAgain

Back to top Go down

Filling the Rabo vacancy Empty Re: Filling the Rabo vacancy

Post by Shifty Tue May 29, 2012 9:35 pm

Aironi will replace Aironi they will just be called a different name. Same players, same stadium. Whistle
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by InjuredYetAgain Tue May 29, 2012 9:37 pm

I thought Glasgow Rangers had baggsy'ed that idea? Its cheaper than calling Wonga!!!

InjuredYetAgain

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Tue May 29, 2012 9:54 pm

AlynDavies wrote:Aironi will replace Aironi they will just be called a different name. Same players, same stadium. Whistle
wasn't that bid by the new Aironi team rejected? i dont think the new Aironi team are getting into the rabo

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Coleman Tue May 29, 2012 10:06 pm

Its an interesting idea, i'd like to see something along the lines of it. But the Italians pump a fair bit of money in to cover the travel costs from the Isle to Italy and i dont think the Spanish/Portugese Unions could afford to fund the travel let alone the players.

I thought that Aironia v.2 had been shot down and that a team based in Rome was now the front runner if proposed etc.

Coleman

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby Tue May 29, 2012 10:46 pm

Its between Parma and Rome I understand

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue May 29, 2012 11:26 pm

A Spanish or Portugese team would add yet another layer of complexity to the never-ending saga of Pro12's HC qualification processes.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Wed May 30, 2012 8:30 am

Italy have the rights/obligation to fill the slot - infact it is written into their agreement that they can supply a further 2 teams when they are ready and provided they pass certain pre determined criteria.

You will see a 4th Italian team before you see, if ever, a team from Iberia or Eastern Europe.

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Wed May 30, 2012 11:41 am

The way things are going I think it'll be at least a decade before theres any more teams in the Rabo league.

Things can quickly change in the rugby landscape. The HEC disagreement could throw a big spanner in the works. Supposing the Rabo and the French/English teams cannot come to an agreement. What then. Well, the Rabo league will be the new HEC as far as the teams are concerned. Thats obvious.

Over a longer period I think they would introduce more teams and have a promotion relegation system. For example, 2 teams from Spain, 2 from Italy, 2 from Belgium, Holland etc combined with new development teams from Ireland, Wales and Scotland etc.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down