The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rio throwing his toys out of the pram

+25
Hibbz
Diggers
Mad for Chelsea
GG
sportform
FIFA Diva
mystiroakey
Imperial Ghosty
TopHat24/7
All Time Great
4putt
Gregers
jeffwinger
Duty281
Hoggy_Bear
Crimey
Liam
BamBam
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
Good Golly I'm Olly
Fernando
azania
Nay
Ent
GSC
29 posters

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Rio throwing his toys out of the pram Empty Rio throwing his toys out of the pram

Post by GSC Sun 03 Jun 2012, 7:08 pm

Via representatives

Ferdinand's representative: "To treat a player that has captained & served his country 81 times like this is nothing short of disgraceful."
"Total lack of respect from Hodgson & The FA as far as I'm concerned."
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Rio throwing his toys out of the pram Empty Re: Rio throwing his toys out of the pram

Post by Ent Sun 03 Jun 2012, 7:10 pm

TBH whilst he shouldn't be voicing it publically he is right, he has been treated very poorly.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Rio throwing his toys out of the pram Empty Re: Rio throwing his toys out of the pram

Post by Nay Sun 03 Jun 2012, 7:14 pm

Why has he been treated poorly?

Because he was not picked for the squad? Diddums.

His own manager questioned if he could cope with the schedule, I'm pretty sure Roy was thinking along the same lines.

But he is right, he has captained his country and should make him an automatic pick for all eternity. I cant wait to hear terry butchers complaints about not being picked

Nay

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 03 Jun 2012, 7:17 pm

Rio is a far better player that Terry. Roy was being political. You couldn't have both Terry and Rio in the squad.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Sun 03 Jun 2012, 7:18 pm

azania wrote:Rio is a far better player that Terry. Roy was being political. You couldn't have both Terry and Rio in the squad.

Indeed you can't but if that's the case why not take the player who isn't going to court for being a potential racist.

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 03 Jun 2012, 7:18 pm

Rio wouldn't be able to play in half the games. Its not political, its common sense. Not even mentioning his diminishing skills.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Nay Sun 03 Jun 2012, 7:19 pm

azania wrote:Rio is a far better player that Terry. Roy was being political. You couldn't have both Terry and Rio in the squad.

And do people know this officially or are they just deciding that is the case, because it makes a good story.

I wouldn't have taken Terry, but i am also not sure i would have taken Rio.

Nay

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 03 Jun 2012, 7:20 pm

The schedule is less that the EPL. I can't see there being a problem. He's not like Ledley King.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 03 Jun 2012, 7:21 pm

Nay Bother wrote:

And do people know this officially or are they just deciding that is the case, because it makes a good story.

I wouldn't have taken Terry, but i am also not sure i would have taken Rio.

Its an opinion.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Sun 03 Jun 2012, 7:22 pm

Nay Bother wrote:Why has he been treated poorly?

Because he was not picked for the squad? Diddums.

His own manager questioned if he could cope with the schedule, I'm pretty sure Roy was thinking along the same lines.

But he is right, he has captained his country and should make him an automatic pick for all eternity. I cant wait to hear terry butchers complaints about not being picked

He has been left out for non-footballing reasons, he is fit, in good form, still one of the best defenders in the league and England have had several defensive injuries.

Fergie was on about him keeping fit for a league season playing every 3-4 days for 9 months, not a 3 week international tournament.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 03 Jun 2012, 7:26 pm

azania wrote:The schedule is less that the EPL. I can't see there being a problem. He's not like Ledley King.

I'm pretty sure the schedule where we play three games one on the 11th, 15th and 19th is less hectic than the EPL where you play once a week, sometimes only three times a month
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 03 Jun 2012, 7:27 pm

England will play 3 games in 8 days, then A qf 4/5 days later. Followed by a semi 4 days later and a final 4/5 days later if they make it. Rio won't be fit.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 03 Jun 2012, 7:30 pm

olly the tractor boy wrote:
azania wrote:The schedule is less that the EPL. I can't see there being a problem. He's not like Ledley King.

I'm pretty sure the schedule where we play three games one on the 11th, 15th and 19th is less hectic than the EPL where you play once a week, sometimes only three times a month

Talk about nit picking. You also have cup competitions and over the Xmas period you often play 3 games a week.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Nay Sun 03 Jun 2012, 7:31 pm

No Fergie specifically said he would question if Rio could cope with the schedule of the E

Once again the left out for non footballing is purely conjecture.

Rio has played for England once in a year, and would have to play three times in 8 days. It should not be a surprise to him that he is not called up.

And to say he has been treated is quite frankly bordering on the ridiculous.

Nay

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 03 Jun 2012, 7:32 pm

Did Rio play every game in that period?
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 03 Jun 2012, 7:32 pm

azania wrote:

Talk about nit picking. You also have cup competitions and over the Xmas period you often play 3 games a week.

When Sir Alex Ferguson says that Rio might not be able to handle the schedule, I'm going to believe him seeming as he knows Rio best and is one of the best managers ever.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 03 Jun 2012, 7:36 pm

azania wrote:

When Sir Alex Ferguson says that Rio might not be able to handle the schedule, I'm going to believe him seeming as he knows Rio best and is one of the best managers ever.

You wouldn't be taking him to play every game his replacement won't, so the schedule wouldn't matter that much. Be clearly wouldn't be able to play every game but he is surely worthy of a spot given the injuries England have.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 03 Jun 2012, 7:36 pm

Graeme Swann's Cat wrote:Did Rio play every game in that period?

I have no idea. I don't follow Manure.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Sun 03 Jun 2012, 7:36 pm

This fitness thing is a smoke screen,

Rio started 36 club games this season, Cahill 37, Terry 43, Jagielka 31, Lescott 39.

There are potentially 6 games in 22/23 days in this tournament. Rio has played 5 in 22 days twice towards the end of the season.

Qpr 8/4th to city 30/4

west brom 11/3 to blackburn 2/4th.

Hodgson is just lying, he had to choose between Rio and Terry over off field issues and he picked Terry - no shame in that, it is his decision, but lets not lie about it and quote how Fergie manages his players for a 10 month season as your excuse.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 03 Jun 2012, 7:37 pm

Kelly has been picked as cover for RB. Jones will be used as cover for CB purely now. Micah Richards is the one who should be throwing his toys out the pram
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 03 Jun 2012, 7:37 pm

azania wrote:

I reckon SAF doesn't want any Man U players playing international football. He is looking after the best interest of Man U and not England.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 03 Jun 2012, 7:39 pm

olly the tractor boy wrote:Kelly has been picked as cover for RB. Jones will be used as cover for CB purely now. Micah Richards is the one who should be throwing his toys out the pram

Very true I couldn't believe it when he never got called up especially with Walker injured.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 03 Jun 2012, 7:40 pm

SugarRayRussell (PBK) wrote:
olly the tractor boy wrote:Kelly has been picked as cover for RB. Jones will be used as cover for CB purely now. Micah Richards is the one who should be throwing his toys out the pram

Very true I couldn't believe it when he never got called up especially with Walker injured.

Rio can't play RB. Kelly has been chosen to play RB. Richards is better than both Glen Johnson and Martin Kelly. Heck Kyle Naughton is better than Martin Kelly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Sun 03 Jun 2012, 7:43 pm

azania wrote:

And Fergie has always had the best interests of the England team at his heart? He couldn't give a flying monkeys, he will want his players fit and ready for us next season. As much as I think Rio is hard done by, even as a Utd fan I think its a travesty that Martin Kelly has been selected ahead of Micah Richards. This just smacks of Woy trying to appease the Scousers

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 03 Jun 2012, 7:45 pm

SugarRayRussell (PBK) wrote:

Rio can't play RB. Kelly has been chosen to play RB. Richards is better than both Glen Johnson and Martin Kelly. Heck Kyle Naughton is better than Martin Kelly

I would have had Richards in even if walker and Johnson were fit he offers something different to those 2 he is very good defensively.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 03 Jun 2012, 7:46 pm

I thought Ferdinand had an excellent second half to the season. Regarding the fitness issue he could have played against France and missed the Sweden match and returned against the Ukraine. It is a squad game after all?

He did say a few weeks back that he'd put his issues with John Terry aside when playing for England.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Sun 03 Jun 2012, 7:49 pm

bambamwillis wrote:
azania wrote:

And Fergie has always had the best interests of the England team at his heart? He couldn't give a flying monkeys, he will want his players fit and ready for us next season. As much as I think Rio is hard done by, even as a Utd fan I think its a travesty that Martin Kelly has been selected ahead of Micah Richards. This just smacks of Woy trying to appease the Scousers

I don't think it is, misguided or not a selection of England managers have not selected Micah Richards for some reasons - perhaps he is annoyed he refused the stand by option (I would have too).

Ferguson also said the week before that quote Rio should go because of his experience. He was answering a question in a press conference over the 6 games in 21 days IIRC, he just said he probably couldn't play all of them.

Like I said it's nonsense, a political issue. Anyway he can't take him now, wether he would mean to or not it would disrupt the squad, the players know rio being left out was controversial - he can't just turn up now and get on with business like nothings happened. At least Hodgson is sticking to his guns.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 03 Jun 2012, 7:50 pm

I think Richards may well have burnt his bridges refusing to go on the stand by list, which smacks of total arrogance.

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Sun 03 Jun 2012, 7:56 pm

FreekShow wrote:I think Richards may well have burnt his bridges refusing to go on the stand by list, which smacks of total arrogance.

Wasn't that Carrick?

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 03 Jun 2012, 7:57 pm

Roy had the choice between Rio or Terry. He chose Terry

Get over it Rio throwing his toys out of the pram 3559488474
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 03 Jun 2012, 7:58 pm

Fernando wrote:
FreekShow wrote:I think Richards may well have burnt his bridges refusing to go on the stand by list, which smacks of total arrogance.

Wasn't that Carrick?

http://inagist.com/all/205062635920699392/

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 03 Jun 2012, 7:58 pm

And Richards is a good center half.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Sun 03 Jun 2012, 7:59 pm

olly the tractor boy wrote:Roy had the choice between Rio or Terry. He chose Terry

Get over it Rio throwing his toys out of the pram 3559488474

Shouldn't have lied to him then should he?

If he had told rio he felt having both of them in would disrupt the squad and he was picking Terry because he was a better player then whilst Rio would have been incredibly angry he couldn't have really argued with it.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 03 Jun 2012, 7:59 pm

I always thought Richards would go on to win 80+ caps for England. At this rate he'll do well to reach 50.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Sun 03 Jun 2012, 8:01 pm

azania wrote:And Richards is a good center half.

Whilst I think Richards should have been selected ahead of Kelly it has been a long time since he regularly played at centre half and he isn't first choice at right back for city, so all in all he can have few complaints at being over looked.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 03 Jun 2012, 8:03 pm

Ent wrote:

Whilst I think Richards should have been selected ahead of Kelly it has been a long time since he regularly played at centre half and he isn't first choice at right back for city, so all in all he can have few complaints at being over looked.

Also I wonder if there was any dialogue between Hodgson and Capello over Richards. Might be poppycock but I read an article a few months ago where it was alleged that Capello had grown tired of the players attitude.

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Sun 03 Jun 2012, 8:04 pm

I think Rio should have gone, he has played very well for Utd and even I questioned his ability to play games in a short time. He has proved that he can this season. For me, he was the form English CB after last season, but, I knew deep down that Terry would be chosen over Rio anyway, despite imo that Rio is twice the player Terry will ever be.

Micah Richards though, like someone else said, should be peeved. He's been superb this season and although Zabaleta took over towards the end of the season, he would still have been my back up to Walker, simply because I think he defends better than Johnson. When he goes on a rampaging run he is very difficult to stop and is a monster in the air, wouldn't fancy marking him for a free kick or corner.

Carrick should also be more peeved more than Rio. Carrick has had a wonderful season for Utd, probably his best since his move to us, and I was one of his biggest critics. He is one of the few England players who's range of passing is second to none, and he should be starting ahead of Lampard before he even got injured.

So, as much as I think Rio has every right to be a little p'd off, I still think there are other players who haven't been selected who haven't thrown their toys out of the pram. I'm sure Rio is gutted because a man who hasn't had a great season, who caused ructions at the last major tournament, and is to stand trial after the tournament for allegedly racially abusing his own brother has gotten in ahead of him. Plus, at 33, this is probably his last tournament he could have played for England, after Heskey decided to jump on his leg in training at the WC in SA.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Sun 03 Jun 2012, 8:04 pm

FreekShow wrote:
Ent wrote:

Also I wonder if there was any dialogue between Hodgson and Capello over Richards. Might be poppycock but I read an article a few months ago where it was alleged that Capello had grown tired of the players attitude.

Perhaps but you know Hogson has to be his own man and make his own decisions.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 03 Jun 2012, 8:06 pm

Ent wrote:
FreekShow wrote:
Ent wrote:

Very true. It's just that nobody is going want a bad egg not matter how good he is.

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 03 Jun 2012, 8:07 pm

Ent wrote:

Is Kelly first choice at 'Pool?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Sun 03 Jun 2012, 8:12 pm

FreekShow wrote:
Ent wrote:
FreekShow wrote:
Ent wrote:

Very true. It's just that nobody is going want a bad egg not matter how good he is.

Yet he is taking Terry to the tournament?

It is an interesting theory, but I don't buy it - its more likely he (like his predecessors) just don't rate Richards as a footballer.

Neither do I really, he is a superb athlete but a limited footballer.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Sun 03 Jun 2012, 8:13 pm

azania wrote:
Ent wrote:

No he only made 12 appearances though this season. Doesn't change the fact Richards isn't first choice for city.

He can't complain about someone elses good fortune really.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 03 Jun 2012, 8:14 pm

Ent wrote:
FreekShow wrote:
Ent wrote:
FreekShow wrote:
Ent wrote:

Yet he is taking Terry to the tournament?

It is an interesting theory, but I don't buy it - its more likely he (like his predecessors) just don't rate Richards as a footballer.

Neither do I really, he is a superb athlete but a limited footballer.

Well that put me in my place! You are probably right regarding Richards' ability. He hasn't come on as expected.

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sun 03 Jun 2012, 8:25 pm

I think Kelly was picked because he was happy to go on the standby list and be called up for the Belgium game where as Richards won't have been ready to be called up as he didn't go on the standby list in the first place.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Sun 03 Jun 2012, 8:29 pm

Crimey wrote:I think Kelly was picked because he was happy to go on the standby list and be called up for the Belgium game where as Richards won't have been ready to be called up as he didn't go on the standby list in the first place.

I have to be honest when I have seen Kelly play I think he looks a real good full back, and is the future for Liverpool at RB as it stands. He get's forward well, is a quite a tall lad and, Liverpool fans can confirm or deny this, but I think he's a decent defender. So, I think Rio has just bottled up his emotions and then Kelly being picked must have released all this frustration. I think his anger lies with Hodgson picking Terry over him rather than Kelly being picked.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 03 Jun 2012, 8:30 pm

For all the conspiracy theories about Terry/Rio, wouldn't the one facing charges be dropped?
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sun 03 Jun 2012, 8:32 pm

martyr_94 wrote:
Crimey wrote:I think Kelly was picked because he was happy to go on the standby list and be called up for the Belgium game where as Richards won't have been ready to be called up as he didn't go on the standby list in the first place.

I have to be honest when I have seen Kelly play I think he looks a real good full back, and is the future for Liverpool at RB as it stands. He get's forward well, is a quite a tall lad and, Liverpool fans can confirm or deny this, but I think he's a decent defender. So, I think Rio has just bottled up his emotions and then Kelly being picked must have released all this frustration. I think his anger lies with Hodgson picking Terry over him rather than Kelly being picked.

I agree Kelly is a good defender, he's very solid defensively, and has improved massively attacking wise, his runs are really powerful, he's also a threat in the air from set pieces.

It's very unlikely that he'll actually play in the tournament anyway though.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Sun 03 Jun 2012, 8:32 pm

I dont think Rio would begrudge Kelly his opportunity, he is most likely annoyed that he has been shunned again despite form and fitness.

Really he just wants to go to the tournment and try help his country win, willing to bury the hatchet with Terry and presumably go despite the fact he may not be first choice.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Sun 03 Jun 2012, 8:34 pm

Graeme Swann's Cat wrote:For all the conspiracy theories about Terry/Rio, wouldn't the one facing charges be dropped?

No not really, the manager obviously rates Terry more highly as a player (his decision) and so has picked the one he rates more.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 03 Jun 2012, 8:34 pm

Ent wrote:
azania wrote:
Ent wrote:

No he only made 12 appearances though this season. Doesn't change the fact Richards isn't first choice for city.

He can't complain about someone elses good fortune really.

Oh well. 2 second choice right backs. One finished on top of the table and the other ended up 30 points behind.

It's probably a good thing Micah isn;t going as England will be embarrassed anyway. Plus Kelly is frankly Championship standard.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next