The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rigondeaux is the New Star of Boxing: Let's Hope Arum Puts Him In With the Big Guns

+9
AlexHuckerby
88Chris05
azania
alanqlm
6oldenbhoy
Imperial Ghosty
milkyboy
TheMackemMawler
davidemore
13 posters

Go down

Rigondeaux is the New Star of Boxing: Let's Hope Arum Puts Him In With the Big Guns Empty Rigondeaux is the New Star of Boxing: Let's Hope Arum Puts Him In With the Big Guns

Post by davidemore Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:32 pm

Recently i posted an article about my dream of a new face emerging in boxing. We have it. His name is Rigondeaux. His talent, astounding.

This is the new star of boxing, he would, in my opinion whip Donaire. But... Will Arum put him in with the big guns?

He's only had 10 fights after a huge and successful amateur career, and is unknown to the casual boxing or sporting fan. But he is explosive and talented, and i believe, if thrown in to huge fights, the next star.

Thoughts?

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Rigondeaux is the New Star of Boxing: Let's Hope Arum Puts Him In With the Big Guns Empty Re: Rigondeaux is the New Star of Boxing: Let's Hope Arum Puts Him In With the Big Guns

Post by TheMackemMawler Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:41 pm

I tell anyone who will listen that Rigondeaux is the greatest!! EVER!!!

Cue Ghosty........
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Rigondeaux is the New Star of Boxing: Let's Hope Arum Puts Him In With the Big Guns Empty Re: Rigondeaux is the New Star of Boxing: Let's Hope Arum Puts Him In With the Big Guns

Post by milkyboy Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:27 pm

his new face has 30 odd years on the clock davide, so time is against him in the quest for superstardom. He's a classy operator for sure, but didn't look all that against cordoba... admittedly a tricky customer. I hope your dream isn't a wet one.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:37 pm

He might beat Donaire but he is not going to whip him, he's far too classy an operator for that to happen, i'd like to see Rigondeaux step up his level of opposition before so much hyperbole is attached to him.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:46 pm

I'm a big fan of Rigo, but agree with Ghosty regarding the hype surrounding him. Donaire has proven himself over a number of years, whereas Rigo's best wins are Ramos and Cordoba. With all due respect to Kennedy, he's not very good, so that win doesn't prove anything.

Saying he's the new star of boxing is a bit too far as well. As Milkyboy points out, he's 32 later this year, and can't sell tickets. His World Title fight with Ramos sold 375 tickets. Novices over here can shift more.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:57 pm

To sell tickets he needs to fight a star, and take their throne. Remember when Mayweather didn't sell tickets? What did he do? He built a fan base by beating super stars, regardless of talent.

Rigo might not be young but he has time. Can't blame his age as he's Cuban and faces death to be free to fight professionally. He's green in the pro's but he isn't as a boxer. He can rise, he can rise fast.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by alanqlm Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:59 pm

I agree he can be a star but needs to pick up the pace, fighting once or twice a year is not enough needs 4-5 fights in the next 12 months I think.

But all the talent to be the top man.

Though following this article Im surprised he did't make your top 15 David.

alanqlm

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:04 am

alanqlm i wanted to put him in so badly, but the sheer fact that he has only ten fights stopped me. It would just feel wrong on the other greats in the list, although one big fight against Donaire or someone similar in standing and he's there. You're right, he needs at least four fights a year now, but Top Rank, what will they do with him? Feed him to the PPV cards every 6 months? Good exposure but he needs and WANTS huge fights. He doesn't want to hang around on under cards, regardless of how good the card is.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:07 am

I dont care what he does as pro to be fair. Amateur or Pro its all boxing. Iv'e been following him since 2001 and he's always been a hero of mine. I wish he had stayed amateur so that arm chair pro fans would be denied their opinions.
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:18 am

The mackern am i one of those people in your opinion? I rate him, how highly do you rate him?

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:21 am

If your opinion coincides with mine then naturally you are one of the good guys!
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:26 am

Holla yo! I just hope America accept him and Top Rank put him in with someone big soon. He deserves it, his talent is frightening, and what he has achieved.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:29 am

Amateur boxing is far too pitter patter nowadays for my liking, too many fail when they turn profressional for me to take much notice.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:49 am

What are you taking about?

99% of pro's have been amateurs.

1% of pro's are succesfull.

Of that succesfull 1% I'd say 99.999% have been amateurs.

Of course most amateurs fail... its because most pro's fail!!

Success is for the minority.

And to say amateur boxing is pitter patter illustrates you're ignorance. I implore you to go to an amateur show at your local council estate working mans club and revise your opinion.

TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:52 am

If your pitter patter opinion is from olympic boxing then watch Roy Jones in the 88 olympics then tell me the 2008 bejing olympics was significantly different....

Perhaps you are talking amateur boxing in the 50's or 60's? in that case then pro boxing is diluted also..
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:06 am

There's quite a high proportion of professional boxers who have no amateur background so don't go throwing out statistics that have no basis to them.

There is far too much difference between the pros and amateurs to really compare the two.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:08 am

Imperial Ghosty wrote:There's quite a high proportion of professional boxers who have no amateur background so don't go throwing out statistics that have no basis to them.

There is far too much difference between the pros and amateurs to really compare the two.

1%?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:44 am

Imperial Ghosty wrote:There's quite a high proportion of professional boxers who have no amateur background so don't go throwing out statistics that have no basis to them.

The 99% stat was blatantly figurative and used as tool to illustrate a point. However, I'd be interested to know if you have evidence to the contrary because 1% without an amateur backround seems fair. Ok some may have amateur kickboxing or mui thai experience. But I'd still hazard a guess as to 95% of pro's have amateur experience.

Every pro i know has an amateur background though not much can be drawn from that fact, as if they had not been amateurs then i would not have known them.

Further, I have never compared the two sports, and i am only too aware of the differences. I am also aware of the similarities.

You were saying pitter patter??
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:52 am

He's certainly a phenomenal talent. This was only the third time I've seen him in the paid ranks, but he seems to be coming on leaps and bounds still. It was a real treat to watch him last night.

Given that we're never going to get Donaire-Gamboa, then Donaire-Rigondeaux is quickly becoming a must.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:53 am

Rigo and Gamboa would be fun.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:08 am

What a fight that would be...Skillfestmaximus!
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:08 am

95% also seems very high, there are the Mexicans, puerto ricans, phillipinos as well as the orient countries who have very little amateur pedigree

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:57 am

Little amateur pedagree does not equate to turning pro with no amateur experience.

And what is your basis for the above claim?
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:34 am

He looks incredible, timing, power, speed, elusivness, everything just looks insanely good, not quite fought at a high enough level to completely say what he will do in the pros but just based on what I've seen on his performances on good fighters in the pros he could give guys like Donaire a real run for their money.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:42 am

he does look amazing, but he will need to put combos together, the one punch then step back and admire it will not work with donarie or any other top operator. he loses to donaire for me, that guys phenominal.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:42 pm

It's a great pick em fight if Donaire and Rigo get to it. A 50/50 fest of skilled fighting.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by wow_junky Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:48 am

Rigo is 32 this year, he will be too old to make an impact by the time Bob puts him in with anyone quality

wow_junky

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:07 am

As an amateur, he moved alot against pressure fighters but he'll need to adjust slightly as dancing over four is certainly different to dancing over 12. Can't see many people wanting to pressure him though because he's sitting down on his counters (a feat in itself) which should be enough of a deterrent. Actually he's sitting down on all of of his punches which betrays the fact he's a pro novice. However, its a shame he doesn't have the time afforded to others to fully accomodate himself to the differences between Am and Pro. Saying that though, as well as well planting his foundations before letting his shots off, it seems he's already learned not to expell to much energy with unnecessary movement, and hopefully, the two year inactivity from boxing (2007-2009) would have been sparring pro's learning the clinching game. Therefore he may not be at too much of a disadvantage should he fight one of the other champs when he's around the 15 fight mark.
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:35 am

his career will be decided by how active he is. he hasnt the time to become "great" he he only fights twice a year.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:31 am

Tigo will beat Donny is a variety of ways. He can stick and move or step in and blow him out. Either way we are watching one of the best boxers alive today. Appreciate him whilst we can as he only has 2-3 years at the top level.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:53 am

Hes in a division with lots of good fights. Nishioka, Donaire, Mares among others. Would be a shame if these guys are not matched.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:59 am

The Japs won't travel unfortunately. But I'd pick Rigo over anyone under 130 to be honest.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:59 am

[quote="6oldenbhoy"]I'm a big fan of Rigo, but agree with Ghosty regarding the hype surrounding him. Donaire has proven himself over a number of years, whereas Rigo's best wins are Ramos and Cordoba. With all due respect to Kennedy, he's not very good, so that win doesn't prove anything.

Saying he's the new star of boxing is a bit too far as well. As Milkyboy points out, he's 32 later this year, and can't sell tickets. His World Title fight with Ramos sold 375 tickets. Novices over here can shift more.[/quote

Those stats are very very sad. I find it annoying that all these celebs and so called "fans" have heard of maybe ten boxers maximum and attend only the big fights.

Check out a friend of mine out on youtube, Glen Foot. He's no Rigo but he has massive heart, is an entertainer and will always be involved in exciting fights. An example of a local lad who can easily shift more than 375 tickets. He's been in a little trouble recently, but its all sorted now, so he should be fighting again soon. Keep an eye out for him....
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:08 am

Nishioka travelled to the U.S to face Marquez so hopefully he is a guy that wont be content to sit in Japan and defend against mandatories.

It is a bigger problem in the lower weights though with fighters willing to travel less and the same kind of pressures arent there to face the top guys. Too many guys just defending a title and then able to jump a division if a threat comes along.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:26 pm

Rigo really impressed me, however he needs to throw more, I don't believe he can be that inactive against the truly elite such as Donaire.

Donaire seems to have Rigo on his radar.

I have subscribed to him on Facebook and he said he watched basketball rather than Rigo because he wanted to watch something competitive.

Sounds a bit annoyed to me, Rigo vs Donaire will be interesting, we haven't seen Rigo get his mettle tested yet.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:40 pm

Rigo will pancake Donaire, mark my words. Bold statement, yes. But he can and if given the chance, will.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:38 pm

oooo ooo ooo
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:20 pm

He needs to step up, Mares has shown he is willing to step up by fighting Moreno.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down