The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lets create a Boxing Time Capsule for readers in 2050

+7
oxring
The Galveston Giant
Union Cane
Daz
DoubleD22
captain carrantuohil
kevchadders
11 posters

Go down

Lets create a Boxing Time Capsule for readers in 2050 Empty Lets create a Boxing Time Capsule for readers in 2050

Post by kevchadders Wed 15 Jun 2011, 12:29 pm

What do I mean by that? Well I'm sure you heard of people burying items from the past so that people from the particular future date can dig it up to get a feeling for what it was like back then and I'm sure we all expect the internet to be around in some guise in 2050, so... lets cast your noggin to 2050... how different (if any) do you think the sport of boxing will look compared to what we have now.

For a comparison of a similar timeframe think back around 40 years ago to the later 60's/early 70's to see how its change from then to now. It will be interesting to hear your thoughts on where you think boxing as a sport is going.

I've also listed a few question which may help you when considering it.

Do you think better methods of drugs testing (Olympic) will be in place by then?
Will promoters like GoldenBoy who own Ring Magazine play an even more dominate role?
Will promoters take more of a bit part role with it being more common for top boxers to promoting themselves?
Will there still be 4 main belts or will the Ring belt get even more popular to be the one to own?
Will the weight classes stay the same, or could we get close to creating a new division above heavy?
Any obvious TV/Media impact which will happen which will greatly effect the sport?

Feel free to pick on a particular question(s) I've asked which you think will change over the next 40 years.

ps. Like to think we'll all live to 2050.. maybe apart from the Rowley's/Captain's/HumanWindmill's of this world who'll probably be pushing 100 lol so this just may be the thread you check up on in your old age from some internet archive/wayback machine.

kevchadders

Back to top Go down

Lets create a Boxing Time Capsule for readers in 2050 Empty Re: Lets create a Boxing Time Capsule for readers in 2050

Post by captain carrantuohil Wed 15 Jun 2011, 12:34 pm

I think it fair to ask some questions of the class of 2050:

What's it like having 12 major governing bodies?
Is Bernard Hopkins going to retire this year?
Do you thing that a junior light flyweight division, just eight ounces above the straw weight limit, is entirely necessary?
Can you start a campaign to elect Don Curry to the Hall of Fame, please? Trussman keeps swallowing his false teeth and popping his colostomy bag when he thinks of the injustice.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Lets create a Boxing Time Capsule for readers in 2050 Empty Re: Lets create a Boxing Time Capsule for readers in 2050

Post by DoubleD22 Wed 15 Jun 2011, 12:42 pm

hopefully by 2050 someone has stepped in and said 1 governing body!

1 world chamion in each weight class making the best fight the best.

but thats wishfull thinking

DoubleD22

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Wed 15 Jun 2011, 1:31 pm

captain carrantuohil wrote:I think it fair to ask some questions of the class of 2050:

What's it like having 12 major governing bodies?
Is Bernard Hopkins going to retire this year?
Do you thing that a junior light flyweight division, just eight ounces above the straw weight limit, is entirely necessary?
Can you start a campaign to elect Don Curry to the Hall of Fame, please? Trussman keeps swallowing his false teeth and popping his colostomy bag when he thinks of the injustice.

laughing laughing

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Wed 15 Jun 2011, 1:46 pm

Do they have hover-cars yet?
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Wed 15 Jun 2011, 1:49 pm

Will i get my pension by then?
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Wed 15 Jun 2011, 1:51 pm

Certainly not at your age, GG. You'll only be 65/66 by then, and in 2050, the State is going to be setting a pretty high benchmark for its meagre pension allowance. Try 2060, with a bit of luck and a following breeze.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Wed 15 Jun 2011, 4:57 pm

Whats it like to watch a boxing match now that camera technology and 3D mean that you can watch a fight from the point of view of either fighter? (wishful thinking)

Does anyone still watch boxing in the USA, now they haven't had a champion for 20 years?

Who is "the greatest" HW champion in history now?
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Wed 15 Jun 2011, 6:15 pm

captain carrantuohil wrote:Certainly not at your age, GG. You'll only be 65/66 by then, and in 2050, the State is going to be setting a pretty high benchmark for its meagre pension allowance. Try 2060, with a bit of luck and a following breeze.

Best news i've heard all day Captain, i feel about that age now so i'm not sure if i'll make it.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed 15 Jun 2011, 8:27 pm

Boxing will be banned by 2050 as will any sport more dangerous than tiddleywinks

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by The genius of PBF Wed 15 Jun 2011, 8:34 pm

Davie wrote:Boxing will be banned by 2050 as will any sport more dangerous than tiddleywinks

Hope golf gets banned soon. Wink

The genius of PBF

Back to top Go down

Post by kevchadders Thu 16 Jun 2011, 12:35 pm

For me, by 2005 I expecting the following to be in place.

1. Better drugs testing.

Regardless of the reasons (he chicken out!) for Floyd wanting drug testing when he was supposed to fight Manny, it brought the issue of drugs testing in boxing back to the forefront with the cry for the sport to adopt a more Olympic style testing.

2. Round scoring being announced after each round to the trainers/boxers/TV/Media

As were all use to seeing Jim Watts bias scoring cards mid rounds I believe boxing will adopt a policy of publicly scoring each round, which will be passed onto TV/Media as well as the fighters corners. This will help in two ways. The first will benefit a fighter if he's starting to fall behind in the scoring giving him the chance to do something about it. The second will hopefully mean it will be more difficult to encounter bad scoring.

(I'll post more when i get some more time)

kevchadders

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir. badgerhands Thu 16 Jun 2011, 1:09 pm

Floyd "Clone/Cyborg" Mayweather to fight Manny "Brain in jar robot man" Pacquiao finally.

Only however after Olympic style oil and diagnostic tests.

Sir. badgerhands

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 16 Jun 2011, 9:29 pm

The genius of PBF wrote:
Davie wrote:Boxing will be banned by 2050 as will any sport more dangerous than tiddleywinks

Hope golf gets banned soon. Wink

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaameeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen to that.

And horse racing, and bowls.

Haaaaaaaaaaaaallelujah, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaallelujah

angel

Back to top Go down

Post by WelshDevilRob Fri 17 Jun 2011, 7:09 pm

Great posts and topic.

I have a question for Buck Rogers fans. Very Happy

I recall an episode where they had boxing in the future and it was non contact and a computer scored whether you would have landed. Abit like todays amateur boxing. What year was Buck Rogers set in?

WelshDevilRob

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir. badgerhands Fri 17 Jun 2011, 10:33 pm

WelshDevilRob wrote:Great posts and topic.

I have a question for Buck Rogers fans. Very Happy

I recall an episode where they had boxing in the future and it was non contact and a computer scored whether you would have landed. Abit like todays amateur boxing. What year was Buck Rogers set in?

It was set in the 25th Century.

Sir. badgerhands

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down