The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is it time for one big boxing promotion?

+4
Soldier_Of_Fortune
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
eddyfightfan
marty2086
8 posters

Go down

Is it time for one big boxing promotion? Empty Is it time for one big boxing promotion?

Post by marty2086 Fri 09 Sep 2011, 4:55 pm

I grew up watching boxing but like many have become fed up with the egos the money and the overhyped nothing fights and illegitimate champions. Is it time someone stepped up and started bringing all the top fighters into the one stable/promotion so that big fights actually deliver and records arent padded and beefed up to make someone look unbeatable

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Is it time for one big boxing promotion? Empty Re: Is it time for one big boxing promotion?

Post by eddyfightfan Fri 09 Sep 2011, 8:38 pm

definetly, but not likely. the promoter i respect most at the moment is matchrooms with eddie hearns and his stable. they also do a good job with prizefighter.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Is it time for one big boxing promotion? Empty Re: Is it time for one big boxing promotion?

Post by marty2086 Mon 12 Sep 2011, 12:32 pm

It was Prizefighter that put the idea in my head and seeing how the UFC has grown surely someone needs to start doing something about it

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 12 Sep 2011, 12:58 pm

Prizefighter is becoming a joke. It would be good if it was prospects like Rocky Fielding but now we are getting washed up guys like Witter and now Takaloo!!
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Mon 12 Sep 2011, 1:10 pm

prettyboykev wrote:Prizefighter is becoming a joke. It would be good if it was prospects like Rocky Fielding but now we are getting washed up guys like Witter and now Takaloo!!

True, but they need the washed up old names to put in there to generate some interest.

There should be a better mix but I think some of the prospects don't want to risk an early defeat on there record. I know Rocky turned it down initially before a couple of drop outs happened and Eddie Hearn convinced him.

But after the win it has put him on a better platform as he has now signed up with Warren and doing a few Liverpool shows.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon 12 Sep 2011, 1:53 pm

Is he on the Bellew undercard S_O_F?

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon 12 Sep 2011, 1:57 pm

I think Warren has done ok recently as much as I hate to admit it. We have had some good fights involving a lot of UK & EIRE fighters under Warren

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Mon 12 Sep 2011, 2:42 pm

Scottrf wrote:Is he on the Bellew undercard S_O_F?

Yep. He's fighting Paul Morby (the one who Jeffries couldnt land a decent punch on) in the Olympia on Sat on the Smith v Selby bill and he will be on the Bellew undercard aswell, his opponant yet to be confirmed. Unless he gets a bad cut or somethin

Joe Selkirk and Paul Smith are on both aswell

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Mon 12 Sep 2011, 3:53 pm

Would be good but will never happen as the others are not going to bow done to the other and there are always stars emerging from the smaller promoters and then all the negotiating nonsense begins.

All promoters talk trash to a degree and I think you need a few snake-like features to be one.

The UFC is good at what it does but the problem is they were in a strong position being that they had billionaire owners who when they purchased the UFC circa 10 years ago had enough money to lose tens of millions in the first few years.

The UFC do make the big fights BUT the UFC also has the power to treat a lot of the guys like rubbish where in boxing the fighters appear to have more power but at least they can't act like kids.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 12 Sep 2011, 3:55 pm

Is a double edged sword in the past would not be too much of an exaggeration to suggest Rickard had nigh on a monopoly on the game and as we saw during Dempsey's reign this did not do too many favours to Harry Wills, appreciate the issue is more complex than this because it is a different time and place but still too much power in one mans hands can be dangerous

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down