The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Boxing time machine!

+9
azania
TRUSSMAN66
manos de piedra
Imperial Ghosty
HumanWindmill
zx1234
Young_Towzer
Rowley
ONETWOFOREVER
13 posters

Go down

Boxing time machine! Empty Boxing time machine!

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:22 pm

It is universally agreed that Floyd Mayweather is technically the most talented fighter on the planet today. Love him or hate him his skills never come into question. Defensive master and expert counter puncher Floyd gains top marks in those aspects of the game every time. His offence may not be pleasing to the eye but some say his defence is his offence.

So my question is, if we were to put Floyd into a time machine how far back in boxing history do you think his skills can take him SUCCESSFULLY. For instance I dont see Floyd having any problems in the 80's or 70's with the chaps of that era and I think if we transport him back to the golden era of the 50's he would be more tested but still have too much skill even for SRR. I dont think the calibre of Floyd was seen in those days. I think where Floyd comes unstuck is the beginning of the 21st century as grapling was as much a part of boxing as jabbing is today.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Boxing time machine! Empty Re: Boxing time machine!

Post by Rowley Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:24 pm

For instance I dont see Floyd having any problems in the 80's or 70's with the chaps of that era

You don't think he has any problems with Leonard? Can't even bring myself to comment on the Robinson remark.

BTW the beginning of the 21st century was 10 or 11 years ago depending on your stance on that subject.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:25 pm

So my question is, if we were to put Floyd into a time machine how far back in boxing history do you think his skills can take him SUCCESSFULLY. For instance I dont see Floyd having any problems in the 80's or 70's with the chaps of that era and I think if we transport him back to the golden era of the 50's he would be more tested but still have too much skill even for SRR. I dont think the calibre of Floyd was seen in those days. I think where Floyd comes unstuck is the beginning of the 21st century as grapling was as much a part of boxing as jabbing is today.
///////////////////////////////////
Mayweather couldn't of fought in the 80's, the best fought the best then, he could of competed if he'd fought but he wouldn't of, he takes fights he knows he wins.

MAYWEATHER V STARLING
MAYWEATHER V LEONARD @147
MAYWEATHER V HEARNS@147
MAYWEATHER V DURAN@147
MAYWEATHER V CURRY@147

I feel he would of avoided most if not all of these past world welterweight champs

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by zx1234 Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:26 pm

You don't think he has any problems with Leonard? Can't even bring myself to comment on the Robinson remark.

agree completely, but even worse would probably be mayweather vs hearns

zx1234

http://www.footballbetting365.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:27 pm

I agree with rowley as well there with regards to the Sugarman and Robinson, no offence pal but your really going over the top with regards to his skill/defense. His defence is no better than what Marlon Starling's was, Starling used to have ear muffs defence, put it this way he never got caught as flush as Mayweather did of Mosley!

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:32 pm

May havegot my dates wrong rowley but Leonard Hearns and Duran would not beat Mayweather and Robinson never faced anyone as close to the skill of Floyd. Robinson had trouble with Basilio who beat him once and gave him nightmares in the rematch even though he fought with his FACE! and you think Robinson beats Mayweather at welter?

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:37 pm

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:Robinson had trouble with Basilio who beat him once and gave him nightmares in the rematch even though he fought with his FACE! and you think Robinson beats Mayweather at welter?

It's a styles thing. Basilio had the style to give Robinson fits. Swarmer v boxer, etc. Mayweather v Robinson is a completely different scenario.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:40 pm

Basillo fight is hardly a prime Robinson now is it. Personally have long maintained Floyd holds his own in any era, as does manny in case D4 is stalking the boards but greatness is greatness across any eras and the same is true of any number of fighters from welterweights illustrious era. Personally there are any number of guys from the past who give Floyd fits at welter, where lets not forget he is not a huge puncher.

Robbo beats him for me as does Leonard, would also add Hearns gives him fits and to remain true to form think he has a nightmare against Burley, who has the defensive skills to match him and also carries more of a dig at the weight.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:56 pm

Leonard and Robinson outbox him and Hearns obliterates him for me but aside from that he stands a chance against anyone. Seeing him struggle first time around against Castillo can see a top quality pressure fighter like Duran or Armstrong getting the better of him but he's also shown his capable of coping with pressure which makes them 50/50 fights for me.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:59 pm

the Hearns fight is laughable, do you guys honestly think he'd fight Hearns when he ducked Margarito? do me a favour

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:03 pm

Hes competitive in any era but probably not unbeaten in plenty of them thats for sure.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:06 pm

Let's be honest before you right off Mayweather's chances against anybody....Every great boxer has weaknesses...Robbo struggled with Randy..Leonard with Hearns....

I'd give Mayweather a shot with anybody..

To me the only one he really struggles with is Hearns.......

Hearns jab would give anybody trouble Robbo included.....

Mayweather could beat Leonard and Robbo...could also lose too..

Bonafide top 20 great at least..

respect him.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:10 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Let's be honest before you right off Mayweather's chances against anybody....Every great boxer has weaknesses...Robbo struggled with Randy..Leonard with Hearns....

I'd give Mayweather a shot with anybody..

To me the only one he really struggles with is Hearns.......

Hearns jab would give anybody trouble Robbo included.....

Mayweather could beat Leonard and Robbo...could also lose too..

Bonafide top 20 great at least..

respect him.

Agreed Truss

Would make Robinson and Leonard comfortable favourites although not clear, something like 115-113 or 116-112 over 12 rounds but against Hearns I would give him very little chance but to be honest I wouldn't give anyone outside of Robinson or Leonard much of a chance against him at Welterweight

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:09 am

At WW, PBF would get beat by all those named above. He was too small.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:23 am

Southpaw, what's the point in saying "do you guys honestly think he'd fight Hearns when he ducked Margarito? do me a favour"??? It's only hypothetical...I know you're not a fan but it's not about IF he'd get in the ring with them..!! It's about what would happen WHEN he.was in the ring with them. No offence but you could suck the fun out of a clown sometimes!! Very Happy randy

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:26 am

Balti, come and join us on the chat, there are a few of us on tomato

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:28 am

Won't be a mo. Just...baking.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:29 am

Its at the bottom of the main forum page. Bring your cakes cake

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:20 pm

See a top 15 alltime great is a cowardly ducker on here again....

sad stuff really isn't it??

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by The genius of PBF Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:37 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:See a top 15 alltime great is a cowardly ducker on here again....

sad stuff really isn't it??

Sad they dont see boxing greatness staring at them...Floyd Mayweather beats them all...If you cant appreciate Floyd Mayweather then your not a boxing fan simple as.

The genius of PBF

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:58 am

The ducking thing is a bit silly but would have to say to argue that a guy who is probably not all that natural at welter would struggle with some of the grestest welters of all time is not all that unreasonable IMO.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:08 am

rowley wrote:The ducking thing is a bit silly but would have to say to argue that a guy who is probably not all that natural at welter would struggle with some of the grestest welters of all time is not all that unreasonable IMO.

That's exactly how I see it.

Floyd - and Manny, for that matter - are nailed on ATGs, for me, and are able to rub shoulders with legends of both the recent and distant past. Not so at welter, though, since I don't see either of them as natural 147lbers. Have them both at 135 or 140lb., and I believe we see them fare better. Duran favourite against either at 135, in my opinion, but I wouldn't reckon it to be a walk in the park for him, and neither would I see it as an easy night for Benny Leonard or Joe Gans from the distant past, or Whitaker and Chavez from the recent past. Would dearly love to have seen a superfeather showdown between Arguello and Mayweather, also.

In the elite company, welter is a bridge too far for either Floyd or Manny, in my opinion.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:32 am

Windy, two words for why your arguement falls down regarding Gans etc:

Modern nutrition

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:35 am

coxy0001 wrote:Windy, two words for why your arguement falls down regarding Gans etc:

Modern nutrition

Silly me, coxy. Right you are, of course.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by WelshDevilRob Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:28 pm

I find it difficult to rate Floyd as a great Welterweight as I just don't think he's done much there.

He is a Great fighter just not at Welterweight. He wouldn't beat Sugar Ray Leonard in a month of Sundays.

WelshDevilRob

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:36 pm

WelshDevilRob wrote:I find it difficult to rate Floyd as a great Welterweight as I just don't think he's done much there.

He is a Great fighter just not at Welterweight. He wouldn't beat Sugar Ray Leonard in a month of Sundays.
Can't agree with the latter half of that statement. Certainly over 15 you'd would lean towards SRL as, in the Championship rounds, he was known to be able to put his foot on the gas but over 12, I think the fight would be close and I don't think it's a given that Ray beats Floyd hands down everytime.

Two immensely talent fighters so I think "never in a month of Sundays" is a tad extreme

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:49 pm

DAVE667 wrote:
WelshDevilRob wrote:I find it difficult to rate Floyd as a great Welterweight as I just don't think he's done much there.

Can't agree with the latter half of that statement. Certainly over 15 you'd would lean towards SRL as, in the Championship rounds, he was known to be able to put his foot on the gas but over 12, I think the fight would be close and I don't think it's a given that Ray beats Floyd hands down everytime.

Two immensely talent fighters so I think "never in a month of Sundays" is a tad extreme

Cant agree with you there. SRL was also a great fighter over 12 rounds as the Hagler fight proved. He would have been too fast and ehavy handed for PBF. I see this going similarly to the Benitez fight.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:01 pm

So what you're saying is that SRL beats Mayweather time and time again?

You honestly believe that someone as gifted and adaptable as Mayweather wouldn't ever be able to beat Leonard?

That's a strange one!

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:07 pm

DAVE667 wrote:So what you're saying is that SRL beats Mayweather time and time again?

You honestly believe that someone as gifted and adaptable as Mayweather wouldn't ever be able to beat Leonard?

That's a strange one!

Yes, that's what I'm saying. SRL was on a totally different planet. Plus the weight suited hinm more than it does Floyd. Much as I appreciate floyd and his immense talents, SRL was just that damned good. Hated the mofo but you have to appreciate class and he had it in abundance. For he his only comparable is Robbo. No-one else comes close in terms of talent and ability. Not even Ali and that is almost blasphemy for me to admit that.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:23 pm

Come off it, Duran beat Leonard by dragging him into a brawl and taking him out of his gameplan. He angered Leonard to such a degree in the build-up that Leonard lost his mind. Do you honestly believe that a four month build-up to a fight with Floyd wouldn't have SRL's blood boiling.

The closest Mayweather's come to defeat was against Castillo and look what happend in the rematch (I'll ignore the generous scoring in the DLH contest). Yes, Leonard toyed with Duran in their rematch but Floyd didn't actually LOSE his first fight.

As annoying as he is, Mayweather still remains a damn good fighter and at his absolute best, there's no way Leonard beats him in a lop sided contest. Sure, maybe Leonard wins but he doesn't do it at a canter.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:42 pm

Do you honestly believe that a four month build-up to a fight with Floyd wouldn't have SRL's blood boiling.

Think four minutes in Floyd's company is normally enough to turn the trick. Whilst I'd have to back Ray in this the idea that anyone at welter and I include Robbo in this, has an easy nights work with Floyd or over a series of fights wins every one is one I cannot get with. Floyd is a top drawer talent and is cute enough defensively to make any fighter have to work hard for what they get against him IMO

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by WelshDevilRob Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:45 pm

Leonard tried to beat Duran at his own game and fell short then boxed smart in the rematch. Floyd fights nothing like Duran.

Leonard possessed everything that Floyd has but is also quicker of hand and foot and more powerful. I see no way that Floyd wins against Leonard he simply isn't as good. That's my opinion on it. Very Happy

WelshDevilRob

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:49 pm

DAVE667 wrote:Come off it, Duran beat Leonard by dragging him into a brawl and taking him out of his gameplan. He angered Leonard to such a degree in the build-up that Leonard lost his mind. Do you honestly believe that a four month build-up to a fight with Floyd wouldn't have SRL's blood boiling.

The closest Mayweather's come to defeat was against Castillo and look what happend in the rematch (I'll ignore the generous scoring in the DLH contest). Yes, Leonard toyed with Duran in their rematch but Floyd didn't actually LOSE his first fight.

As annoying as he is, Mayweather still remains a damn good fighter and at his absolute best, there's no way Leonard beats him in a lop sided contest. Sure, maybe Leonard wins but he doesn't do it at a canter.

Floyd is a very different fighter to Duran. Hearns gave SRL fits because of his reach and jab. Floyd has neither. Floyd is a fantastic boxer but at WW he doesn't have enough in his arsenal to trouble SRL. At LW a fight with Duran would have been interesting.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down