The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What a time to be a boxing promoter!

+11
Seanusarrilius
Rowley
manos de piedra
paul12342
Steffan
AlexHuckerby
paperbag_puncher
JabMachineMK2
88Chris05
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
Gordy
15 posters

Go down

What a time to be a boxing promoter! Empty What a time to be a boxing promoter!

Post by Gordy Wed 30 May 2012, 4:54 pm

My oh my, has there ever been a better time to be a boxing promoter? Fans seem so easily led these days. Been reading comments here and on the BBC saying Carl Froch is now better than Calzaghe, Hatton, Eubank, Benn and one of the best British fighters ever! This is right up there with Price being the next Lennox Lewis in terms of sheer lunacy!

Fans seem willing to take any old media expert or promoters word for things. Frochs latest fight against an overhyped fighter from Canada who was unproven and had been protected by fighting weak fighters his whole career. The fight is set up to make Froch look like the greatest boxer ever and to jumpstart his fading career after he had been outclassed. And the thing is every beleives it! This is what promoters do. Froch is not a world class fighter and is in his mid thirties. He desperately needed a win to keep the hype train going so his clever promoter gets some guy over to make him look a million dollars and convince people he is the real deal!

Its like the fellow they got as Prices opponent in his last fight. A no hoper who was picked up to make Price look like the next big thing. When Price wins he is Lennox Lewis!

Now Sky are telling us Froch could be the greatest British fighter ever?! I dont know whether to laugh or cry to be honest but with so many people willing to buy into it its no wonder Sky and their promoters chance their arm!

Gordy

Back to top Go down

What a time to be a boxing promoter! Empty Re: What a time to be a boxing promoter!

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed 30 May 2012, 4:58 pm

I wouldn't say its a great time to be a promoter Sky have just cut there output for boxing by half for their next season. A marvellous 22 shows between 6-8 will be prizefighters and Maloney has 3 shows all for Price. Hatton has no TV deal now as well.

I would have Froch at 168lbs above Benn and Eubank. I wouldn't put him above Calzaghe mind you. Joe was a class act and would have boxed Froch's ears off.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

What a time to be a boxing promoter! Empty Re: What a time to be a boxing promoter!

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 30 May 2012, 4:58 pm

Not this again, Gordy....

I'll resist any mod work for now, but I suggest your next article contains more than just the usual "David Price is being hyped, it's a disgrace to compare him to Lennox, Carl Froch is rubbish, it's a disgrace to compare him to a terrific fighter like Eubank who would have destroyed Roy Jones, had Jones not ducked the fight."

As I recall, just about every comment you've ever posted on the boxing board can be closely linked to that statement.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed 30 May 2012, 5:00 pm

Mate you now have the power don't be afraid to abuse it. Whistle
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Wed 30 May 2012, 5:02 pm

Gordy, change the record mate. Why don't we discuss boxing instead of you lecturing us about how sheep-like we seem to be?

As I've said (not me personally) there are people here who have forgotten more than you know about boxing. If this were a dig at Chris, comparing Hatton and Froch - how about you post a very thoughtful and evidence backed rebuttal? Rather than just tell us all how wrong we are?

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 30 May 2012, 5:03 pm

I was tempted, Kev, but JM's beautifully-written retort has convinced me to be as charitable as I can!
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by paperbag_puncher Wed 30 May 2012, 5:13 pm

88Chris05 wrote:I was tempted, Kev, but JM's beautifully-written retort has convinced me to be as charitable as I can!

You must be itching to get the red pen out? It must be like when you graduate from Police Academy and get handed a gun just waiting for an opportunity to use it... Whistle Just remember Chris some people deserve to be shot....

paperbag_puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Wed 30 May 2012, 5:14 pm

Allow me Chris. Properly this time.

Gordy wrote:Frochs latest fight against an overhyped fighter from Canada

Overhyped? Undefeated champion who'd fought strong challengers. Not fighting the elite perhaps but his record was far better than fighting nurses.

Gordy wrote:who was unproven and had been protected by fighting weak fighters his whole career.

Andrade was not weak. Miranda was not weak. Glen Johnson is tough as nails.

Gordy wrote:Froch is not a world class fighter and is in his mid thirties. He desperately needed a win to keep the hype train going so his clever promoter gets some guy over to make him look a million dollars and convince people he is the real deal!

3 time world champion. When he lost, he won the title back. He finished SECOND in the super 6. He was beaten well by Ward and lost to Kessler on a decision. Are you saying Kessler is not world class? Are you telling me that Jean Pascal isn't world class? Jermaine Taylor? Andre Dirrell? These are second rate fighters?

Gordy wrote:Its like the fellow they got as Prices opponent in his last fight. A no hoper who was picked up to make Price look like the next big thing. When Price wins he is Lennox Lewis!

Sam Sexton - being compared to Lucien Bute. Classic. If you're going to reference then at least remember his name.

Gordy wrote:Now Sky are telling us Froch could be the greatest British fighter ever?! I dont know whether to laugh or cry to be honest but with so many people willing to buy into it its no wonder Sky and their promoters chance their arm!

I think this is a little OTT but still, its nice that we're GETTING BEHIND OUR BOXERS.

You're on the WUM mate. You have to be.

Oh, and congrats on the promotion Chris - well deserved and although I wish the circumstances were different as to the lack of manpower, I think you and Sean will do a great job.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 30 May 2012, 6:33 pm

He is clearly a WUM - Gordy = Waingro.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Wed 30 May 2012, 6:57 pm

Nah Gordy aint Waingro

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by paul12342 Wed 30 May 2012, 6:57 pm

I quite like David Price so far hes beaten what has been put in front of him. Just give him time and soon he will get the big fights. You gotta put you time in as a promoter to mature your fighter gradually.

As for Froch his record speaks for its self he doesnt dodge anyone.

Even Eubank admitted avoiding Roy Jones and as for Benn he was explosive and very enjoyable to watch yet he had more then a fair few fights against mexican road sweepers.

Froch however has fought all the best in his division and managed to beat all but two of them and my moneys on him to beat kessler if they do fight again.

paul12342

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Wed 30 May 2012, 7:08 pm

Actually, I dont think its ever been much harder to be a promoter in terms of matchmaking. I think the boxing fanbase is smaller now than it has been traditionally, but the fans tend to be more hardcore and follow the sport in more detail. Thanks to the internet, information and footage is more available than ever before and its now much harder to fool boxing fans into buying sub standard match ups. Things like boxrec, youtube and numerous boxing forums online will tell you very quickly if a match up is good or not.

Ironically, back in the Eubank days he and Calzaghe after him got aay with fighting stiffs on Sky Sports and much better fit the description of the Sky hype train as they served up sub standard title defences for the pair of them whilst they systematically avoided the best names. Somebody like cleverly is two fights into his title reign and already villafied for poor matchmaking.

Going back even further to the days before the internet, tv or even publicised rankings the sport was rife with mismatches and promoters were far more able to get away selling sub rate fights because the general public were not really any the wiser.

I actually agree that some of the hype attached to Froch now or even Price is disproportionate - especially like the recent McCrory comments for example - but this kind of thing happens all the time and in all walks of sport. It dies down gradually.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 30 May 2012, 7:38 pm

paperbag_puncher wrote:
88Chris05 wrote:I was tempted, Kev, but JM's beautifully-written retort has convinced me to be as charitable as I can!

You must be itching to get the red pen out?

Just wait till he bans someone paperbag, he will no doubt deny it but it is intoxicating.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Wed 30 May 2012, 9:35 pm

rowley wrote:
paperbag_puncher wrote:

You must be itching to get the red pen out?

Just wait till he bans someone paperbag, he will no doubt deny it but it is intoxicating.

Rowley me old horsenut me old wippersnatcher. A pleasure to see you again!

Re the modding. I must admit, I do wonder what banning someone will feel like. Doees that make me a monster?

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Wed 30 May 2012, 9:36 pm

Getting drunk on power is never good gentlemen...

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 30 May 2012, 9:41 pm

Steffan wrote:Getting drunk on power is never good gentlemen...

Getting high on powder is...

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Wed 30 May 2012, 9:43 pm

FreekShow wrote:

Getting high on powder is...
I havnt done that in....ooooh....at least 8 months What a time to be a boxing promoter! 3933776953

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Wed 30 May 2012, 9:43 pm

manos de piedra wrote:Actually, I dont think its ever been much harder to be a promoter in terms of matchmaking. I think the boxing fanbase is smaller now than it has been traditionally, but the fans tend to be more hardcore and follow the sport in more detail. Thanks to the internet, information and footage is more available than ever before and its now much harder to fool boxing fans into buying sub standard match ups. Things like boxrec, youtube and numerous boxing forums online will tell you very quickly if a match up is good or not.

Ironically, back in the Eubank days he and Calzaghe after him got aay with fighting stiffs on Sky Sports and much better fit the description of the Sky hype train as they served up sub standard title defences for the pair of them whilst they systematically avoided the best names. Somebody like cleverly is two fights into his title reign and already villafied for poor matchmaking.

Going back even further to the days before the internet, tv or even publicised rankings the sport was rife with mismatches and promoters were far more able to get away selling sub rate fights because the general public were not really any the wiser.

I actually agree that some of the hype attached to Froch now or even Price is disproportionate - especially like the recent McCrory comments for example - but this kind of thing happens all the time and in all walks of sport. It dies down gradually.

Disagree. I think boxing has sunk to such a low that now's the time to get in. Fighters can't command the same pay cheques so now it's up to promoters. There's no money to Banker's like recession money.

Last edited by seanmichaels on Wed 30 May 2012, 9:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Wed 30 May 2012, 9:43 pm

You're right. Especially not internet power. But i can continue to get drunk, right?

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Wed 30 May 2012, 9:48 pm

Seanusarrilius wrote:

You're right. Especially not internet power. But i can continue to get drunk, right?
My favourite hobby Smile cider

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Wed 30 May 2012, 10:14 pm

seanmichaels wrote:
manos de piedra wrote:Actually, I dont think its ever been much harder to be a promoter in terms of matchmaking. I think the boxing fanbase is smaller now than it has been traditionally, but the fans tend to be more hardcore and follow the sport in more detail. Thanks to the internet, information and footage is more available than ever before and its now much harder to fool boxing fans into buying sub standard match ups. Things like boxrec, youtube and numerous boxing forums online will tell you very quickly if a match up is good or not.

Disagree. I think boxing has sunk to such a low that now's the time to get in. Fighters can't command the same pay cheques so now it's up to promoters. There's no money to Banker's like recession money.

Disagree with what? Matchmaking? Promoters are more pressure to provide quality match ups now and fans are more clued in thanks to the internet.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed 30 May 2012, 11:43 pm

manos de piedra wrote:
seanmichaels wrote:

Disagree with what? Matchmaking? Promoters are more pressure to provide quality match ups now and fans are more clued in thanks to the internet.

Maybe they are making better match ups than in the past but more good fights don't happen than do. That's not just down to promoters far to many fighters are to inactive although to many promoters are to protective of zeros and keep it all in house.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by no-mas Wed 30 May 2012, 11:53 pm

Seanusarrilius wrote:

Re the modding. I must admit, I do wonder what banning someone will feel like. Doees that make me a monster?

Wonder how far I can push our online friendship before that power trip gets too much you Canadian sissy Wink

On to the article, I feel I have made my points on Price known in other articles but even though some of the Froch bandwagon hype is going a bit OTT I feel he deserves it, years of obscurity even though he IS britains number 1 fighter right now and definitely top 10 all time British for me.

Ps Christ congratulations on the blue band, feel between you and Sean your the right guys for the job

no-mas

Back to top Go down

Post by horizontalhero Thu 31 May 2012, 1:40 am

Another day, another post about hype from Gordy, please can't we be spared from this. Please.

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Thu 31 May 2012, 1:54 am

I wonder what Gordy thinks of Kevin Mitchell. I wonder if he thinks Mitchell is "class" and would "smash all other lightweights".

It's reading things like Gordy's posts that crack me up and remind me of D4.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Thu 31 May 2012, 3:53 am

no-mas wrote:
Seanusarrilius wrote:

Wonder how far I can push our online friendship before that power trip gets too much you Canadian sissy Wink

On to the article, I feel I have made my points on Price known in other articles but even though some of the Froch bandwagon hype is going a bit OTT I feel he deserves it, years of obscurity even though he IS britains number 1 fighter right now and definitely top 10 all time British for me.

Ps Christ congratulations on the blue band, feel between you and Sean your the right guys for the job

haha, thanks No Mas!

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down