The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

50 Cent Boxing Promoter

+6
Valero's Conscience
TheMackemMawler
beefyboi
AlexHuckerby
Rowley
Seanusarrilius
10 posters

Go down

50 Cent Boxing Promoter Empty 50 Cent Boxing Promoter

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:35 pm

http://www.ballerstatus.com/2012/07/24/50-cent-boxing-promoter/

Andre Dirrell and Yuriokis Gamboa, not a bad way to start your promoting life.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

50 Cent Boxing Promoter Empty Re: 50 Cent Boxing Promoter

Post by Rowley Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:39 pm

Rapper, actor, promoter there really is no beginning to the mans talents.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:48 pm

Candy shop baby!

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:48 pm

Awful!!!

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:59 pm

Wow, um, do you think 50 truly understands boxing politics?

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by beefyboi Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:27 pm

i dont think you have to understand boxing politics when you have a big big big big pot of money to throw at peolpe.

beefyboi

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:34 pm

Maybe its not a bad thing, he has other sources of income thererfore he might make the big fights happen. Wishful thinking perhaps..
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:53 pm

Gamboa is a good signing if true but I hope he can get him to fight more.

He's got a fool with a lot of talent in Dirrell. If his head and heart are in the right place then he could have 2 decent world champs.

I'm sure 'fiddy' and his BFF Floyd will hook up as well.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:10 pm

Lets' be honest. He only needs three decent fighters and he can stick them on the same card twice a year and it will be better than 90% of cards out there. Gamoboa, Dirrell and Floyd himself, trumps 99% of other cards. and it's not like he has to spread them out, as Valero says, he has other income. Could be a good thing

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:01 pm

50 would be an excellent manager/promoter. The music business is even more dirty than boxing. or so I've been told. Floyd had a rap manager who coined the phrase "slave contract" and made Floyd adopt the bad boy image.

Fiddy would be good and certainly add some spice to things. Can you imagine him negotiating bidness with Arum?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:04 pm

I doubt that. You don't own your own record label by being borderline retarded. People will come and see his charges purely for the novelty value at first. Plus he is a great self promoter. He'd be great for boxing.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:43 pm

Seanusarrilius wrote:Lets' be honest. He only needs three decent fighters and he can stick them on the same card twice a year and it will be better than 90% of cards out there. Gamoboa, Dirrell and Floyd himself, trumps 99% of other cards. and it's not like he has to spread them out, as Valero says, he has other income. Could be a good thing

Last time I logged in my name wasn't Valero.
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:49 pm

I'll back any promoter that gets Gamboa back in the ring!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by horizontalhero Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:20 pm

azania wrote:I doubt that. You don't own your own record label by being borderline retarded. People will come and see his charges purely for the novelty value at first. Plus he is a great self promoter. He'd be great for boxing.

How does owning anything prove that he's not borderline retarded or otherwise? All that owning stuff can prove is that you are wealthy. I must admit that I would be very surprised to discover Mr Cent actually runs any of the businesses he owns, but who knows , maybe he's a borderline genius. What I am sure of is that boxing needs another gangsta type macho idiot involved in it as much as it needs another 4 governing bodies and another 32 weightclasses.

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:33 am

horizontalhero wrote:
azania wrote:I doubt that. You don't own your own record label by being borderline retarded. People will come and see his charges purely for the novelty value at first. Plus he is a great self promoter. He'd be great for boxing.

How does owning anything prove that he's not borderline retarded or otherwise? All that owning stuff can prove is that you are wealthy. I must admit that I would be very surprised to discover Mr Cent actually runs any of the businesses he owns, but who knows , maybe he's a borderline genius. What I am sure of is that boxing needs another gangsta type macho idiot involved in it as much as it needs another 4 governing bodies and another 32 weightclasses.

I don't say this often on here, but please - shut up

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by horizontalhero Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:31 am

Sorry Sean, but do you really think that 50 cent will an asset to the sport?

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:32 am

horizontalhero wrote:Sorry Sean, but do you really think that 50 cent will an asset to the sport?

I don't think he is an idiot just because his rap is terrible and i think he has been around boxing long enough to understand how to put on a show. It's not going to be like he is the next Bob Arum. I just think if he get's two or three decent fighters (he will no doubt employ Al Haymon for matchmaking which is the hardest part) and put son exciting shows, which as a Hip Hop start he is likely to do, it wont be terible.

The hardest part will be the match making and Haymon will deal with that I would think.

It's not that i like 50, i don't, but he has a proven record of making good business decisions, will no doubt have May as his support in this and might well put on a decent card or two. The fact he has other means of income is a good thing, as it means he won't be protecing his boxing assets too much.with easy peasy don't get beat fights.

All specualtion, but you were just waxing on too much for my taste mate. Too many declarative statements, just offer an opinion and back up why you think it will go one way or the other

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by horizontalhero Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:31 am

Because I can't help but think that the involvment of 50 cent and his like is part of a greater malise that is slowly killing the sport I love; now I think we can we agree that there's too many belts weight classes etc so I won't waste our time opining on that, but I will give you my views on on the transformation of boxing from sport to showbiz, and why in my eyes it's diminishing the sport.
I was chatting recently to a mate of mine who I used to watch a few fights with, but had given up watching boxing nowdsays , to quote " because it's turned into the bl**dy WWF" and I can see his point. I grew up in the era of Micky Duff and the like , and say what you want about them but on the whole they put on solid shows and bought on talent the old fashioned way area to british to european title etc ,etc etc, but slowly boxing promotion went from putting on good fights to putting on good entertainment- and has reached the point where it seemed that style became more important than substance- the ridiculous entrances on flying carpets , motor bikes, even holograms preceeding mismatches, hype jobs, 12 rounds of plodding-dear old Henry Cooper walked away from commentary in disgust at what he saw was the cheaping on the sport by all this ridiculous razzamtaz, that more often than not was not backed up by the fights it proceded.
The other thing we discussed was how once the young, no thrills all business Mike Tyson that drew people back to the game slowly transformed into the unedifying, repulsive circus that was the post prison "team Tyson", and how many casual fans that he attracted dropped boxing following the ear bitting, and the fight at weigh-ins, the threats to eat children- and dreadful hype that surrounded the Lewis fight ( remember the line of security men that separated the two until the bell rang, a stunt that I was reminded off during the bill up to thew Haye- Chisora fight).
In my humble opinion, if boxing is ever going to redeem it'self in the eyes of sports fans, it desparately needs to get back to basics- put on good shows, with competetive matches- let the boxing be the entertainment not the bl**dy walks to the ring, and all that other peripheral crap.
Now I might be wrong, put as far as I'm concerned the like of 50 cent and Justin Bieber crowding the ring with floyd are all part of that crap- it's a boxing match for christ sake - what are they doing here? apart adding to the not wanted, not needed nonsense.
Now maybe, just maybe, 50 will prove to be the sort of promoter that the sport needs, but I have a horrible feeling he'll be yet another ego , wanting stardom and his face infront of the cameras, "dissing" other promoters rather than building up his charges and making the fights we want.
And the older generation of fight fans, the grumpier middle aged ones like myself will shake our heads and believe the boxing really is turning into wrestling.
Sorry that turned into a bit of rant but hopefully you can now understand, if not agree with where I was coming from.
Cheers

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:41 am

horizontalhero wrote:

I dont think he bought the record labels off the shelf or signed the other rappers onto his label because he is a nice bloke. 50, Dr Dre, Jay Z all are very astute businessmen. Dont let their background (Dre is from a very middle class family), gansta attitude and ebonic talk fool you. These guys are very smart.

They may rap gansta, but they are so far removed from it, its unreal.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:59 am

Bring back the Mafia into boxing.

They will seperate the men from the boys
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:59 am

There many astute businessmen in the US hip-hop community, Dre and Jay-Z being two of the best examples, alongside Master P, the Simmons' family and Sean Combs (who also had a very middle-class upbringing).

But I've never got the same impression from 'Fiddy'. He has so many hangers-on and advisors that I think craft a lot of his success (look how rich the Kardashians are despite being thick as two short planks for example). Fiddy has, for the most part, just followed the well-trodden hip-hop path of becoming immensely popular off a couple of tracks then moving quickly into sneakers and clothing-wear. The US market is so huge that you only need limited success to become super rich and it's always easy to make money when you have plenty of it already.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:06 am

He is a wealthy man and he has other primary sources of income. He has become involved in boxing through either a love of the sport or to self publicise, perhaps a combination of the two, either way those motivations to become a promoter may incline him to put on the "good fights".

Saying that though,he may not make the big fights, his Ego may want his boxer's to remain undefeated. He strikes me as the kind of person who thinks he can gain qualities through association (i.e....by proxy he thinks he is amazing because his boxer is undefeated etc).
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:13 am

TopHat24/7 wrote:There many astute businessmen in the US hip-hop community, Dre and Jay-Z being two of the best examples, alongside Master P, the Simmons' family and Sean Combs (who also had a very middle-class upbringing).

But I've never got the same impression from 'Fiddy'. He has so many hangers-on and advisors that I think craft a lot of his success (look how rich the Kardashians are despite being thick as two short planks for example). Fiddy has, for the most part, just followed the well-trodden hip-hop path of becoming immensely popular off a couple of tracks then moving quickly into sneakers and clothing-wear. The US market is so huge that you only need limited success to become super rich and it's always easy to make money when you have plenty of it already.

They are astute businessmen period. If you think 50 prime source of income is record sales of his G-Unit cloth brand then you are very wrong. If his path is so well trodden, how come very few make it in the manner he has? The guy is building a business empire like Jaz Z and Diddy.

I for one think he will be a breath of fresh air if he ventures into boxing. I reckon he will be fan friendly and don't for one moment think Arum or GBP will play hardball too much. Also he is clever enough to hire the best people for whatever role is needed. Do you think Oscar does the negotiation for GBP or Schaefer who is a high earning lawyer?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:13 am

To be fair Oscar was rich beyond any necessary level when he entered promoting, Golden Boy have hardly spoiled us with wonder card after wonder card.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:29 am

azania wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:There many astute businessmen in the US hip-hop community, Dre and Jay-Z being two of the best examples, alongside Master P, the Simmons' family and Sean Combs (who also had a very middle-class upbringing).

They are astute businessmen period. If you think 50 prime source of income is record sales of his G-Unit cloth brand then you are very wrong. If his path is so well trodden, how come very few make it in the manner he has? The guy is building a business empire like Jaz Z and Diddy.

Record sales were his initial source of income. His seed capital. He then did the obvious footwear and apparel lines, built 'Brand Fiddy' out of his popularity and did a number of other obvious things like perfume/cologne etc. Others that haven't done it simply haven't been as popular and it's popularity (brand) that sells. At the moment I have seen anything to suggest he's on, or will attain, the level of Jay-Z or Diddy or the Simmons.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:30 am

rowley wrote:To be fair Oscar was rich beyond any necessary level when he entered promoting, Golden Boy have hardly spoiled us with wonder card after wonder card.

Good Point.

Blows my other incomes and love of the sport motivating good cards theory out the water.

He will at least bring new "fans", and with them their new money, in the same way Brock Lesnar or Kimbo Slice may have done for the UFC.

If nothing else, in the beginning, he will put on a few good shows to make his name, then, greed will get the better of him and everything will go to pot! Lets just enjoy the infancy years while he expands his "empire".
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:38 am

TopHat24/7 wrote:
azania wrote:

Record sales were his initial source of income. His seed capital. He then did the obvious footwear and apparel lines, built 'Brand Fiddy' out of his popularity and did a number of other obvious things like perfume/cologne etc. Others that haven't done it simply haven't been as popular and it's popularity (brand) that sells. At the moment I have seen anything to suggest he's on, or will attain, the level of Jay-Z or Diddy or the Simmons.

The point still stands. He followed a well trodden path and whilst others have fallen by the wayside, he is getting stronger. Why?

Perhaps boxing promotion is another was of adding to his growing empire of business interests. Very few people can ever attain the level of success of Simmons, Run DMC, Jay Z or Diddy. The next person to join that list will be 50 and/or Dre.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down