The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Great night for Floyd Mayweather !!!

+10
azania
Imperial Ghosty
Sugar Boy Sweetie
KO-KING
Melkor
ONETWOFOREVER
davidemore
Rodney
Rowley
TRUSSMAN66
14 posters

Go down

Great night for Floyd Mayweather !!! Empty Great night for Floyd Mayweather !!!

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 10 Jun 2012, 10:07 am

1. Doesn't have to fight Manny now.....Marquez and Bradley have both took the gloss of the filipino...and now Mayweather has a genuine excuse to ignore this guy...who's been proven to be not in his league!!!

The filipino's demise in the last year...getting a shocker against Marquez and struggling with Bradley enhances Mayweather's legendary status!!

Now he has the stiff Bradley to feast on and cement his place in history asa top 10 atg............which he must surely be when he slaps the new p4p number 2!!!!

As for the contentious decision last night.......Sorry If I don't cry for a guy who's robbed more people than The Joker out of Batman...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Great night for Floyd Mayweather !!! Empty Re: Great night for Floyd Mayweather !!!

Post by Rowley Sun 10 Jun 2012, 10:11 am

Disagree to an extent truss, you can't beat a guy by proxy. Remember when Hopkins slapped Pavlik around a lot of people were saying that justified Calzaghe choosing Jones over him, it was not right then and am not sure it is now, you can't get credit for someone elses work.

I always felt Floyd would beat Manny but that or Manny's recent form does not change the fact that for at least a two year period Manny and Floyd were the top two fighters in the world in any list you would care to look at, operated in the same weight class and chose not to fight each other. Still has to hurt him, whether Manny was always over rated or has regressed doesn't change that for me

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Great night for Floyd Mayweather !!! Empty Re: Great night for Floyd Mayweather !!!

Post by Rodney Sun 10 Jun 2012, 10:17 am

Not so sure Truss mate, sick of hearing Mayweather and Pacquaio named paired together to be honest. Really wouldn't be too disappointed if both retired.

As for Pacquaio struggling against Bradley he didn't mate, it was a cakewalk and I agree Manny has regressed in definetly his output but still dominated Bradley even in 2nd gear. But what goes around comes around I suppose, Marquez won the fight in Nov, but still doesn't make it right, the was 5 times worse a decision IMO.

Cheers

Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Sun 10 Jun 2012, 10:22 am

Lol @ Alma.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Sun 10 Jun 2012, 10:44 am

Nonsense article!

Pac-man won that fight.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Melkor Sun 10 Jun 2012, 11:23 am

Is it that great a night for Mayweather?

Yes:

*Helps his p4p standing.
*Gives him upper hand in negotiations should Pac fight happen.
*Gets to be smug.

No:

*Still hasn't fought Pacquiao himself, can't claim victory by proxy.
*If he fights Pacquiao now, Pacquiao is coming off a loss.
*Potential Bradley rematch pushes Mayweather fight back even further.
*This loss (regardless of whether it was a robbery) could have negative impact on Pac/May PPV figures.

Not sure how OP can justify Mayweather not fighting Pacquiao.

On the grand scale of things the bigger factor is that boxing took another shunt up the fudge tunnel last night with a joke decision.

Melkor

Back to top Go down

Post by KO-KING Sun 10 Jun 2012, 1:33 pm

Melkor wrote:Is it that great a night for Mayweather?

Yes:

*Helps his p4p standing.
*Gives him upper hand in negotiations should Pac fight happen.
*Gets to be smug.

No:

*Still hasn't fought Pacquiao himself, can't claim victory by proxy.
*If he fights Pacquiao now, Pacquiao is coming off a loss.
*Potential Bradley rematch pushes Mayweather fight back even further.
*This loss (regardless of whether it was a robbery) could have negative impact on Pac/May PPV figures.

Not sure how OP can justify Mayweather not fighting Pacquiao.

On the grand scale of things the bigger factor is that boxing took another shunt up the fudge tunnel last night with a joke decision.

Pretty much this, Pacquiao got robbed, worst I have seen he won 9 round atleast, Mayweather's pac win if he does fight an beat means less now

KO-KING

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 10 Jun 2012, 2:00 pm

Thinking that this probably isn't a superfight now Rowley...

Manny's lost and whether he was robbed this time he certainly wasn't the last!!

Aura isn't there....and the kudos definitely won't be!!

smart move is to go for the "more beatable" Bradley!!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Sun 10 Jun 2012, 2:09 pm

Disagree Truss. Good night for Floyd in that there will now be less clamour for him to fight manny - a guy he has always been wary of. But pacquiaos decline in form in his last two fights doesn't enhance Floyds career one bit, Pac was always going to slow down eventually - Floyd did a decent job of dodging him when he was at his peak - all thats happened now is the fight has become less relevant with the passage if time, and the fact it never happened when they were both peak and the world wanted it will always reflect as badly on floyds career as it does mannys.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sun 10 Jun 2012, 2:35 pm

Floyd dodged Pacquiao laughing

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 10 Jun 2012, 2:40 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:1. Doesn't have to fight Manny now.....Marquez and Bradley have both took the gloss of the filipino...and now Mayweather has a genuine excuse to ignore this guy...who's been proven to be not in his league!!!

The filipino's demise in the last year...getting a shocker against Marquez and struggling with Bradley enhances Mayweather's legendary status!!

Now he has the stiff Bradley to feast on and cement his place in history asa top 10 atg............which he must surely be when he slaps the new p4p number 2!!!!

As for the contentious decision last night.......Sorry If I don't cry for a guy who's robbed more people than The Joker out of Batman...

Its an absolutely terrible night for floyd. He's just seen an easy night's work and $50m disappear. His legacy has been dented as if they had fought when Manny was on a high he would have cemented his status as the greatest of his generation.

That has been taken away by 2 blind men.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Sun 10 Jun 2012, 3:07 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:Floyd dodged Pacquiao laughing

The fact that there is as strong an argument for Floyd dodging manny as there is manny dodging floyd substantiates the reality that both have happily avoided each other at various times over the last 3 years, preferring to take on lesser men despite being the top two p4p operating in the same weight class. Both are to blame. Floyd was a lot more vocal in wanting to fight manny post JMM III than he was post Cotto or clottey. Manny apparently losing his edge does nothing for floyd - if he beats manny now the fight has less meaning and people will say he beat a past it manny, and if the fight never happens he still gets a shared black mark for being partly responsible for a p4p superfight never materialising. Stupid thing is floyd would've beaten manny all along. The shambles of this non fight hurts both their legacies irrevocably as the moment for it has now passed.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Sun 10 Jun 2012, 3:14 pm

I just blame Arum. This fight would be easier to make if Manny was not with Arum.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Sun 10 Jun 2012, 4:02 pm

Not sure if this is a 'great' night for Floyd, personally. I suspect that, while it's not harmed him as much as Manny, his avoidance of Pacquiao may reduce his chances of that elusive top ten pound for pound spot in a lot of people's eyes, even if he were to beat him later this year / early 2013. I've tried to resist jumping on the bandwagon which insists that Pacquiao is badly on the slide, but even I have to concede that he's nowhere near the force he was back in 2008 / 2009 now, in light of last night's somewhat disappointing performance.

You can pretty much guarantee that such a notion will be laughed at now or in the future, but the fact is that I don't remember Floyd being so desperate to face Manny, and so vocal in his championing of the idea, immediately after Manny had tore through Hatton and Cotto. Floyd accepted a 50:50 split back in 2009, as the contracts drawn up (and since made public) can confirm. The simple fact is, Mayweather had no divine right to ask for additional testing, and nor was Manny obliged to bend to such a demand. Likewise, you'd have to question why Floyd only just started to "clear the sport up" in light of Pacquiao becoming a serious candidate to that pound for pound honour.

Now, lo and behold, he's willing to drop the additional testing, but won't agree to a 50:50 split. No doubt in my mind that both parties must shoulder some blame for the fight not happening so far, but it'll be a sad day if history is rewritten to give the impression that Mayweather hasn't done his bit to avoid the fight.

If Mayweather were to shut out Pacquiao tomorrow, he won't get the respect he could have had from me had he done it a couple of years back, when the fight was most relevant. I suspect a lot of other fans will feel the same. And if the fight is magically signed later this year, it's an undeniable fact that it's come far, far too late in the day, and that whoever wins (particularly if it's Floyd) has missed a trick badly by mulling over it for so long.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Sun 10 Jun 2012, 4:09 pm

I dont really think Mayweather will be too fussed. He can make big money fighting almost anyone. The additional money a Pacquaio fight offered I dont think ever compenssated for the additional risk with Mayweather.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 10 Jun 2012, 4:10 pm

manos de piedra wrote:I dont really think Mayweather will be too fussed. He can make big money fighting almost anyone. The additional money a Pacquaio fight offered I dont think ever compenssated for the additional risk with Mayweather.

Buncey said he may offer Pac $10m.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 10 Jun 2012, 4:15 pm

alma wrote:
azania wrote:
manos de piedra wrote:I dont really think Mayweather will be too fussed. He can make big money fighting almost anyone. The additional money a Pacquaio fight offered I dont think ever compenssated for the additional risk with Mayweather.

Buncey said he may offer Pac $10m.

and how does he know that??

He was making a general comment to highlight how far Pac's stock has declined as a result of the judges.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Sun 10 Jun 2012, 4:15 pm

Good luck with that offer!

I think Mayweather would wait for Pacquiao to right the Bradley fight in any event. He rarely takes someone on when their stock has dipped these days.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by azumah HOF Sun 10 Jun 2012, 8:59 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:1. Doesn't have to fight Manny now.....Marquez and Bradley have both took the gloss of the filipino...and now Mayweather has a genuine excuse to ignore this guy...who's been proven to be not in his league!!!

Just cant stop talking about Floyd..... change the record mate!!! Wink Whistle

azumah HOF

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Sun 10 Jun 2012, 9:11 pm

i dont think theres anyone in the boxing world who thinks manny can beat floyd now. i did up until about a year ago and still hope he can. but i dont beleive it.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 10 Jun 2012, 9:15 pm

eddyfightfan wrote:i dont think theres anyone in the boxing world who thinks manny can beat floyd now. i did up until about a year ago and still hope he can. but i dont beleive it.

I never did. After the Cotto fight it was confirmed to me. Manny hates a jab. The mere sight of one sends him into fits. He cant take an opponent doing anything other than stand still.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Sun 10 Jun 2012, 9:30 pm

your probably in the majority there az but its now been condemned to the "we'll never know" argument and in my eyes thats what i'll remember most from both there careers after they retire.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 10 Jun 2012, 9:58 pm

eddyfightfan wrote:your probably in the majority there az but its now been condemned to the "we'll never know" argument and in my eyes thats what i'll remember most from both there careers after they retire.

It will be a stain on their career. The unfortunate thing is that most will blame both boxers when the fault lies squarely on the shoulders of Arum.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down