The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How can Wales beat Australia next week?

+41
jimmyinthewell68
Liam
pontylad
Triangulation
pierre_sucermabitevoustas
ystradosprey
RuggerRadge2611
HERSH
mckay1402
RubyGuby
doctor_grey
Rob B
Dontheman
munkian
anotherworldofpain
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
maestegmafia
boomeranga
Gordy
Full Credit
nganboy
Pal Joey
emack2
blackcanelion
slartibartfast
Ospreydragon
TJ1
Permian88
Seagultaf
wales606
George Carlin
gowales
bedfordwelsh
Biltong
Higher_Ground
QuickBall
majesticimperialman
fa0019
TycroesOsprey
Cymroglan
welliamwibb
45 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

How can Wales beat Australia next week? - Page 4 Empty How can Wales beat Australia next week?

Post by welliamwibb Sun 10 Jun - 11:18

First topic message reminder :

It is obvious what happened yesterday.

Wales massively underestimated Australia and didn't expect them to play as intelligently, pacey and intensely as they did. I don't think Wales would have been complacent, but due to Oz injuries I don't think Wales expected them to play as well as they normally do.

Wales made so many mistakes due to the sheer speed and intensity of the Os assault and phase play. I've never seen the ball recycled so quickly. Genia was passing it back out almost as soon as the ruck was created. That is what Wales are not doing and need to replicated. I was mortified to see Phillips slow once again and watch a try scoring opportunity goto waste in the first half due to not being quick enough or paying attention to the ball in the ruck.

Instead of grabbing the game by the scruff. Wales were always waiting to see how Oz would play and what they would do first. How many times did we see them simply track Genia to see if he made a pass before thinking about tackling him. Just get stuck in and tackle him whatever happens. Welsh players should be confident in the abilities of the players outside them to make the tackle if they commit to tackling Genia and co and he offloads. It is far worse to not commit the tackle and then he does a sidestep or gains another 10/20 yards.

Not enough pressure was but on Berrick Barnes and too often the outside backs had an easy platform. Tackling overall was really poor compared to the Six Nations. Genia skinned too many players and I've said time and time again that James Hook cannot tackle well when he players anywhere other than 10. The last try was a textbook move and nobody even tried to tackle him. It was worse than South Africa's winning try in the World Cup.

We must not kick possession away unless the ball lands in their 22 or we get a lineout. Australia are so good at counter attacking it is pointless giving away possession. They can't score without the ball and we should be confident enough in our forwards that we can keep possession and not give away the ball or a penalty. Rustyness was an overall factor in the performance and I don't think there should have been a BaaBaa's fixture and the whole squad should have been Oz together for 10-14 days before the first test.

Look at replays again I think I was too harsh on Priestland. That pass from Warburton was ridiculous. Wales panicked too much yesterday. There was no need to panic and throw a feeble pass, just like JD2's run at 78 minutes where he fluffed it up due to panicking. Starting Hook at 10 is not a good idea. Priestland just needs to calm down and think about what he's doing more. Cut out the poor tackles and kick more intelligently.

Losing George North could have cost Wales the match he is so strong and a massive attacking threat. If he is fit next week then we must get the ball to him and Cuthbert as much as possible.

Genia and Barnes need to be target by Phillips and Warburton. The forwards need to be FAR more aggressive. Everyone goes on about the pack as being Australia's weak point, but their counter rucking was insane. We need
to get our forwards in a nasty frame of mind and really fight back next week.

Just read that Faletau is out. Blessing in disguise maybe after yesterdays performance?

TEAM FOR NEXT WEEK:

1. Jenkins
2. Owens
3. Jones

4. AWJ
5. Evans

6. Lydiate
7. Warburton
8. Jones

9. Phillips
10. Priestland

11. North

12. Beck
13. Davies

14. Cuthbert
15. Halfpenny

16. Paul James
17. Matthew Rees
18. Bradley Davies
19. Justin Tipuric
20. Rhys Webb
21. James Hook
22. Scott Williams / Harry Robinson

welliamwibb

http://www.rfu.com

Back to top Go down

How can Wales beat Australia next week? - Page 4 Empty Re: How can Wales beat Australia next week?

Post by Pal Joey Thu 14 Jun - 14:06

The Rugby Show is doing it's best to give Wales all the tips for success against the Wallabies.

Doh

.... even more detail now!

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

How can Wales beat Australia next week? - Page 4 Empty Re: How can Wales beat Australia next week?

Post by HERSH Thu 14 Jun - 14:23

Linebreaker, who would Aus rather play this weekend Wales or England?
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Thu 14 Jun - 14:28

tbh, it would'nt really matter Hersh. I don't think we think like that.

We'll hopefully win the next two tests against Wales. Then see how we go in the 4N... then see you at Twickers in November! Smile

Out of interest though... I would probably rather see us play against England. It's been a while... 2010? Would be a good gauge for both teams I reckon but you'll have your hands full on the high-veld this weekend. Good Luck.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by pontylad Thu 14 Jun - 14:28

Linebreaker wrote:The Rugby Show is doing it's best to give Wales all the tips for success against the Wallabies.

Doh

.... even more detail now!

What are they doing ? Showing the line-out calls , calling on the rain gods !

pontylad

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Thu 14 Jun - 14:37

Surprised not to see Ianto in the side. Any reason for that, lack of match time, prolonged hangover from honeymoon?.

Great to see Webb on the bench although I would have preferred Hook to have been playing ahead of Preistland.

Little harsh on Owens, felt he threw well in the line out but they've wanted Rees back for a while to reunite the Lions front row.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Thu 14 Jun - 14:47

No Ponty... just dissecting Will Genia's game and revealing our attacking options in graphic style. Smile

Forget the rain... the stadium has a roof remember?

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by jimmyinthewell68 Thu 14 Jun - 14:59

so do Wales decide if the roof should be open or shut

jimmyinthewell68

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Thu 14 Jun - 15:02

Wales don't do rain.

Going back to the Wales v Baa baas game why was the roof shut?
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by rhonddasmackhead Thu 14 Jun - 15:12

HERSH wrote:Wales don't do rain.

Going back to the Wales v Baa baas game why was the roof shut?

Wales don't do rain? Tell that to the under 20's team. The first team ever to beat NZ under 20's.

Welsh rugby doing well at the moment.

Another slam
4th in the World Cup
Pro 12 champions
Under 20's semi finalists (first to beat NZ)

rhonddasmackhead

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Thu 14 Jun - 15:20

Seriously, you were happy with 4th place picard
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by rhonddasmackhead Thu 14 Jun - 15:23

HERSH wrote:Seriously, you were happy with 4th place picard

Wales normally get the quarter finals at best so why would such a small nation not be happy with a semi final? Added to the fact there was only 1 point in it.

Granted Wales are not as good as England who had a great 2011 world cup.

Can you elaborate on the other points I made about Welsh rugby? The ones you conveniently ignored.

rhonddasmackhead

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Thu 14 Jun - 15:24

As an improvement of the last world cup ? Yes

Did we want to go further ? Of course

What have English teams done ? Won the Aviva. Oh, wait....

And I imagine the roof was shut for the Baa Baas game because everyone wanted to see a running game of rugby
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Thu 14 Jun - 15:30

They've won the Aviva but they know what's coming so have blocked London Welsh's entry Yahoo

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by jimmyinthewell68 Thu 14 Jun - 15:40

RubyGuby wrote:They've won the Aviva but they know what's coming so have blocked London Welsh's entry Yahoo

jimmyinthewell68

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Thu 14 Jun - 15:42

rhonddasmackhead wrote:

Can you elaborate on the other points I made about Welsh rugby? The ones you conveniently ignored.

At the end of the day it's your national sport, Rugby union is 3rd maybe even 4th in England’s green and pleasant land.

But here it goes.

Grand Slam good achievement, but a bounce of a ball and a bad ref call it could have gone the other way.

Leinster was suffering a HC hangover.

Under 20's yep that’s a good achievement, but maybe just maybe NZ had a bad hair day. I bet everything I have that the NZ players will go on and achieve more than the Welsh lads.

The 4th place was a under achievement, momentum was with Wales and they blew it, who knows that cup might have had your name on it if it wasn't for your inexperienced Captain.

HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Thu 14 Jun - 15:42

The pressure more on Wales this week after fail to deliver as favourite last week against depleted Australia.

Another failure this week might see the "new dawn" fade to the black again.

It look like Wales have about the best squad they can name so not look good if they can't make a win.

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Thu 14 Jun - 15:45

Bring on the pressure boys, bring it on, the boys love it, rusty last week but that's the warm up out of the way - Time to get ready to rumble again at the GS champs go head to head with the SH champs thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Thu 14 Jun - 15:47

ANother Welsh rugby thread another insightful and pearcing comment from Hersh...

and is it chilly in here? I just felt a shiver down my spine as if there was a ghost in the room

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Thu 14 Jun - 15:49

TBH, I said before the tour, we need just one win to prove we can win against the SH teams, also on their turf.

I'm looking more to the AI. This is where, if we want to become one of the best teams in the world, we need to be beating the SH on a regular basis. We need them coming over here a little apprehensive. For that to happen we need to beat them at home. The sooner we get the NZ monkey off our backs the better.

The great England side were fantastic at home vs the SH teams and laid down a marker and said 'your gonna have to play out of your skins to beat us on our turf'. This is what Wales need to do. I think Wales have missed Gatland around the camp. Anyone who loses their head coach before a tour will be at a disadvantage.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by rhonddasmackhead Thu 14 Jun - 15:49

HERSH wrote:
rhonddasmackhead wrote:

At the end of the day it's your national sport, Rugby union is 3rd maybe even 4th in England’s green and pleasant land.

But here it goes.

Grand Slam good achievement, but a bounce of a ball and a bad ref call it could have gone the other way.

Leinster was suffering a HC hangover.

Under 20's yep that’s a good achievement, but maybe just maybe NZ had a bad hair day. I bet everything I have that the NZ players will go on and achieve more than the Welsh lads.

The 4th place was a under achievement, momentum was with Wales and they blew it, who knows that cup might have had your name on it if it wasn't for your inexperienced Captain.

Is that REALLY your analysis? In all honesty it's terrible. You base it on ifs and buts.

Leinster lost TWO grand finals in 2 years at HOME against the Ospreys. The Ospreys have lost nearly all their big Wales stars and Irish star Tommy Bowe. Leinster just won the HC.

Teams like the Ospreys should get nowhere near Leinster.

Wales lost 92-0 to the Baby Blacks last year. Can you really say NZ had an "off day". That is some off day. To me that says Wales went back to the drawing board and put more emphasis and money into grassroots rugby.

Also, rugby is NOT the national sport, football is. As much as we love to fill the milliennium stadium, we hardly ever go to club matches. However the Swansea City and Cardiff City attendances are always high. Most youngsters either play or support a football team.

Just because Wales is doing remarkably well in rugby, it doesn't make it its national sport.

rhonddasmackhead

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Thu 14 Jun - 15:53

Bog Snorkling is our national sport thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Thu 14 Jun - 15:53

Good luck Wales, the whole of the NH are behind you.

As for the under 20's maybe NZ fielded a 2nd string team?

We shall see in the semi final when the pressure is really on.
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Thu 14 Jun - 15:56

HERSH wrote:Good luck Wales, the whole of the NH are behind you.

Maybe we fielded a 2nd string side

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Thu 14 Jun - 15:59

I guess we'll find out in the Semi's when you play the Baby All Blacks again.
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Thu 14 Jun - 16:01

anotherworldofpain wrote:The pressure more on Wales this week after fail to deliver as favourite last week against depleted Australia.

It look like Wales have about the best squad they can name so not look good if they can't make a win.

There it is again, that mention of us as favourites last week. As far as I'm concerned this wasn't the case. I didn't find any reliable sources or betting offices that had us as favourites to win the first test. An article on the beeb mentioned that we had 4-1 odds to win the series. Depleted or not, the Aussies would be favourites to win at home against most if not all NH sides.

The shoe is on the other foot now, some of our boys will have now played three games in a week. Does that mean we get extra credit if we win on Saturday? king

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Thu 14 Jun - 16:07

Knowsit17 wrote:
anotherworldofpain wrote:The pressure more on Wales this week after fail to deliver as favourite last week against depleted Australia.

There it is again, that mention of us as favourites last week. As far as I'm concerned this wasn't the case. I didn't find any reliable sources or betting offices that had us as favourites to win the first test. An article on the beeb mentioned that we had 4-1 odds to win the series. Depleted or not, the Aussies would be favourites to win at home against most if not all NH sides.

The shoe is on the other foot now, some of our boys will have now played three games in a week. Does that mean we get extra credit if we win on Saturday? king

The Aussies were favourites at the Bookies last week (I haven't looked this week). That said, judging from the picking thread, and the SportsGuru competition a fairly big fraction of Welsh fans thought Wales would win.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Full Credit Thu 14 Jun - 16:12

On Sportsbet (in Oz), this week Australia are $1.49 favourites to Wales' $2.62

Full Credit

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Thu 14 Jun - 16:18

Full Credit wrote:On Sportsbet (in Oz), this week Australia are $1.49 favourites to Wales' $2.62

Just looked. Over here you can get between 1.44 and 1.5 on Aus, and 2.70-3.25 on Wales
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by rhonddasmackhead Thu 14 Jun - 16:26

I'm betting on an England win against South Africa.

£10 down, £30,000 return. Awesome odds!

rhonddasmackhead

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Thu 14 Jun - 16:36

Must admit I put a 3/1 bet on

£10 and I would have got £50 back

NZ, SA and Wales to win - Aus were faves.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Thu 14 Jun - 16:39

Knowsit17 wrote:

I suppose the bet makers thinking that if Wales can't win last week when Australia out on their feet and so many injury then Wales never win so they pump up Australia odds this week. It will be a good test about Wales mental strength to try to find a winning mind when so many times they lose important games against SH team.

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Thu 14 Jun - 17:04

Smirnoffpriest wrote:
HERSH wrote:Good luck Wales, the whole of the NH are behind you.

Maybe we fielded a 2nd string side

Yep, no George North, no Harry Robinson... Whistle

We did have one international wing in the team though.

And the Baby Blacks played the same team in their must win game against Fiji aswell.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Thu 14 Jun - 17:48

Wales606:

You beat me to it

+1

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 14 Jun - 17:56

Guys don't feed the trolls...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by jimmyinthewell68 Thu 14 Jun - 18:11

being Welsh i would want England Scotland and Ireland to win sh teams . i cant understand why anybody would want Wales to lose if u British or Irish

jimmyinthewell68

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4