The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Breaking News: WWE Officially Changes Name

+5
AberdeenSteve
theanimal316
Kay Fabe
hodge
ADMIN
9 posters

Go down

Breaking News: WWE Officially Changes Name Empty Breaking News: WWE Officially Changes Name

Post by Guest Thu 07 Apr 2011, 4:48 pm

WWE announced today that the organization would no longer be referred as World Wrestling Entertainment due to Vince McMahon's decree to eliminate the term "wrestling" from the product. The company will be solely branded as WWE.

Here is the press release from WWE:

To better reflect the company's global entertainment offerings, World Wrestling Entertainment, Inc. (NYSE: WWE) announced today a new business model for future growth, including formally rebranding itself, WWE.

Two key components to WWE's brand expansion will be the active pursuit to acquire entertainment content companies and the outsourcing of WWE's core competencies – television and film production, live event production and licensing. As part of the new business model, the company will also focus on the development of new television products including scripted, non-scripted and animated programs, as well as the launch of a new WWE network in the next 12-18 months. The first new program of the brand expansion is Tough Enough, WWE's non-scripted program that debuted on the USA Network on Monday.

"The new business model of the company better reflects what WWE is all about, being a global entertainment company," stated Vince McMahon, Chairman and CEO, WWE. "We will always be loyal to our core business that made WWE a globally known entity, however, the future of WWE will be the addition of new entertainment content opportunities beyond the ring."

This new rebranding initiative will be highlighted through a national consumer and business-to-business advertising campaign entitled "Bigger. Badder. Better.™" The campaign kicked off at WrestleMania® XXVII on Sunday and will be featured on cable TV, print and online.

In addition to focusing on the expansion of the company, the company will bolster its core business with the launch a new talent development department headed by Paul "Triple H" Levesque. The new department will put a greater emphasis on worldwide recruitment, training and character development to identify future WWE Superstars and Divas. The first recruit acquired under Levesque's new department was the signing last month of future WWE Superstar, Sin Cara, formerly known worldwide as Mistico.

Thoughts?

Back to top Go down

Breaking News: WWE Officially Changes Name Empty Re: Breaking News: WWE Officially Changes Name

Post by ADMIN Thu 07 Apr 2011, 4:50 pm

Is the headline show now WWEmania then?
Might as well be for the lack of wrestling on it.

ADMIN
Founder
Founder

https://www.606v2.com

Back to top Go down

Breaking News: WWE Officially Changes Name Empty Re: Breaking News: WWE Officially Changes Name

Post by hodge Thu 07 Apr 2011, 5:07 pm

so was Sin Cara a Triple H signing to the company then, or just from that department?

hodge

Back to top Go down

Breaking News: WWE Officially Changes Name Empty Re: PM to the pair of you

Post by Kay Fabe Thu 07 Apr 2011, 5:09 pm

Does anyone really care? Anyone who watches The WWE for the last 5/6 years sold their wrestling soul a long time ago, Maccs as you migit have noticed I've said for years that Vince has long been ashamed of pro wrestling and in his quert for main stream acceptance has swapped being a wrestling promoter for being an entertainment producer

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by theanimal316 Thu 07 Apr 2011, 5:35 pm

Very interesting to know Sin Cara was a HHH signing, I had no idea. I like the way their scouting is going global, gives is 606v2ers some hope of making it hehe

theanimal316

Back to top Go down

Post by AberdeenSteve Thu 07 Apr 2011, 5:39 pm

Wow, and WWE just dropped ten fold in my views. Awful what Vinny has done to this company. He has become so greedy.

I just thank god for ROH.

AberdeenSteve

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Thu 07 Apr 2011, 5:42 pm

The only reason they need to scout globally is because Vin Man killed the territories in the 80s and 90s

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymru1991 Thu 07 Apr 2011, 6:16 pm

Well my first reaction was disappointment but I can't say I'm surprised.

Cymru1991

Back to top Go down

Post by DOYLE192 Thu 07 Apr 2011, 6:27 pm

The only good thing to take from this is lets face it, vince wont be around for much longer as chairman. I really think once HHH takes over it'll get back to being aboutt the wrestling and entertaining us wrestling fans... not amount just making a quick bit of money out of cheap efforts to target the so called 'mainstream media' i.e 'SNOOKIMANIA' Rolling Eyes

DOYLE192

Back to top Go down

Post by talkingpoint Thu 07 Apr 2011, 6:42 pm

DOYLE192 wrote:The only good thing to take from this is lets face it, vince wont be around for much longer as chairman. I really think once HHH takes over it'll get back to being aboutt the wrestling and entertaining us wrestling fans... not amount just making a quick bit of money out of cheap efforts to target the so called 'mainstream media' i.e 'SNOOKIMANIA' Rolling Eyes

I fear that is more wishful thinking than realism. I too would like to believe HHH would bring a more wrestling oriented product but if the company's official name no longer reflects its wrestling roots and Vince has created a new entertainment empire by the time he leaves complete with entertainment channel, films and tv programmes that bear no relation to wrestling then I find it hard to believe HHH would be able to do a 180. There is no going back from this decision - Vince said they will always be loyal to the wrestling side of the business but it is clear WWE effectively want to become like MTV, which betrayed its music roots too. I just hope the quality of the wrestling product improves with the new signings and recruitment policy. I think that's the best we can hope for.

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by DOYLE192 Thu 07 Apr 2011, 7:00 pm

talkingpoint wrote:
DOYLE192 wrote:The only good thing to take from this is lets face it, vince wont be around for much longer as chairman. I really think once HHH takes over it'll get back to being aboutt the wrestling and entertaining us wrestling fans... not amount just making a quick bit of money out of cheap efforts to target the so called 'mainstream media' i.e 'SNOOKIMANIA' Rolling Eyes

I fear that is more wishful thinking than realism. I too would like to believe HHH would bring a more wrestling oriented product but if the company's official name no longer reflects its wrestling roots and Vince has created a new entertainment empire by the time he leaves complete with entertainment channel, films and tv programmes that bear no relation to wrestling then I find it hard to believe HHH would be able to do a 180. There is no going back from this decision - Vince said they will always be loyal to the wrestling side of the business but it is clear WWE effectively want to become like MTV, which betrayed its music roots too. I just hope the quality of the wrestling product improves with the new signings and recruitment policy. I think that's the best we can hope for.

I suppose it is just wishful thinking. Though i mean can you really see this being all that successful? It aint the first time Vince has tried his hand at something new and every thing else hes done has failed horribly i.e XFL, Tough enough ( wwes attempt at reality tv), although there giving that another go, NXT ... again more 'reality' based than wrestling based which failed horribly, Lindas election campaign, which he spent millions on... and failed horribly Doh

plus like you say as long as the wrestling improves or doesnt get any worse then to be honest, i dont really care what Vince does to make a bit of extra money ..

DOYLE192

Back to top Go down

Post by talkingpoint Thu 07 Apr 2011, 7:17 pm

Personally I'd like to see a split product within the wrestling side of WWE - have your PG friendly shows for the younger fans, toy sales, merch etc but then have a more adult aimed 'attitude' like product that is more wrestling based. I think they should rebrand Raw and SD - have Raw the edgier more adult led show and have SD as the PG rated one. Or failing that introduce another 3rd show with its own roster.

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Thu 07 Apr 2011, 7:41 pm

Never going to happen talking point, I made a very similar point about two years ago on another forum and guys a lot more clued up than me gave me about 25 obvious reasons why they couldnt do that

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by talkingpoint Thu 07 Apr 2011, 10:18 pm

I know just me wishful thinking... Cry

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Thu 07 Apr 2011, 10:21 pm

Today is the day McMahon finally killed what he built Cry
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Thu 07 Apr 2011, 11:13 pm

Bit hyperbol there mate, McMahon hasn't suddenly changed, its been this way for years

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by ADMIN Thu 07 Apr 2011, 11:25 pm

It's becoming commonplace in big industry at the moment to remove the old perceptions of what the company is in order to branch out.
Starbucks have removed the name Starbucks and any reference to coffee on the logo.
KFC no longer refer to Kentucky Fried Chicken.
You think of brands such as Nike & Apple and there's no mention of what the product is or does in the logo yet it's instantly recognisable.

WWE are simply looking to follow what other successful global brands have been doing for years. The only issue is that whilst looking to expand that they don't forget the core customer that built the company.

ADMIN
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Thu 07 Apr 2011, 11:32 pm

I meant it seems the final nail in the coffin it's just getting worse. I think their core fan base changes every 10 years or so because kids are the biggest buyers of the merchandise. Older fans like myself who have been watching for nearly 20 years get left behind and forgot about.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Thu 07 Apr 2011, 11:40 pm

Thats the way it goes, when you where growing up the generation behind you would have felt the same

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by ADMIN Thu 07 Apr 2011, 11:44 pm

Tell me about it, I introduced my kids to Star Wars the other day, the infidels prefer the new three films over the originals (and they thought Jar Jar Binks was funny), I'm taking them for DNA tests next week.

ADMIN
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Thu 07 Apr 2011, 11:44 pm

the-gaffer wrote:Thats the way it goes, when you where growing up the generation behind you would have felt the same

I'm not arguing with it. It's buisness I'm not going to run out and buy action figures and Cenation t-shirts. My main problem with the wwe is the in ring action. It's very poor and predictable.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Fri 08 Apr 2011, 12:03 am

Totally agree, the best guys to watch are the 35+ year olds who where taught all over the world and territories, not just the WWE way

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Fri 08 Apr 2011, 12:07 am

the-gaffer wrote:Totally agree, the best guys to watch are the 35+ year olds who where taught all over the world and territories, not just the WWE way

It's solely a wwe problem the younger fighters in tna are very talented and have a wide move set and are very unpredictable and entertaining they just don't get enough tv time but that is another thread.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down