The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The End For Sean Lamont?

+9
gowales
RuggerRadge2611
nickj
luvtotup
RDW
Dorothy_Mantooth
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Knowsit17
KickAndChase
13 posters

Go down

The End For Sean Lamont? Empty The End For Sean Lamont?

Post by KickAndChase Wed 13 Jun 2012, 1:17 am

Now I know he won't be making any best player of all time lists, or even close, but I've for some reason always had a soft spot for Schlong since he debuted. I looked at his play (not being into club rugby at the time) and noticed that this is a guy that will shake up the Scottish backline and do good things for it.

But what happened? After a promising 2006 season where he scored 2 tries against France in Murrayfield to help seal the win, with plenty of support play and powerful runs throughout his internationals, he suffered a knee injury and was out for, I believe, at least a year. Arguably things were never the same for him again - he looked a bit gunshy going into contact when he recovered, and was regularly benched as he tried to regather form for Scotland.

Of late he's been remembered for his performances in the 12 jersey, and even the 15, for Scotland, despite stating himself that he prefers to play on the wing. He's been remembered for not being able to pass (a la to Kelly Brown v Wales 2010) or simply refusing to. But of the whole team, he's always made the most yards, the most breaks, the most impact as a sub - he's been an all round reliable player ... in general. T

Now he's injured in Australia and Visser has qualified. With the likes of Lee Jones, Tim Visser, Joe Ansbro, Tom Brown and not to mention Max Evans all vying for the jersey, with a clear attempt to put Scott as the starting 12, it might be well and truly over for Lamont, barring how effective he might be as an impact sub. In fact we could probably look forward to this - his two appearances as a sub in 2011 involved an almost instant try against France and a try saving tackle on Roberts against Wales (despite his defensive lapses at full back which I guess we can't really complain about - he's not his brother.)

I know we always go on about Williams, Paterson, Wilkinson, O'Gara and others - and for very good reason - but is it time to spare a thought for old Schlong? He's never done anything but give his best.

KickAndChase

Back to top Go down

The End For Sean Lamont? Empty Re: The End For Sean Lamont?

Post by Knowsit17 Wed 13 Jun 2012, 1:47 am

I've always thought of him as a good player, not great but certainly not somebody you wouldn't consider for your side. Like most players he makes mistakes and has his shortcomings (ala your reference to his lack of passing) but he's strong as a nut with ball in hand and has also shown some excellent pace at times. As you point out these attributes aren't restricted to when he's in possession, I was cursing him for his tackle on Roberts last year preventing what would have been a magnificent score.

I seriously thought he might go on to become a star for Scotland after his performance vs France in 06. I'd call him a good solid workhorse who has perhaps been a tad unlucky. Not saying he is or should have been perfect by any means but I was pleased when he signed for the Scarlets and disappointed when he left. I think he'll be a plus for Glasgow next season and for his sake I hope he gets more chances yet in the dark blue and uses them well.

Would I be right in saying he's drifted into a utility role for Scotland in recent times? Because I don't think that will have helped his cause. I hate seeing players who are obviously more talented in some positions than others having to move over for one reason or another. It's happened to Hook almost his entire career.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by KickAndChase Wed 13 Jun 2012, 2:31 am

He certainly looked to drift into the utility role - that or AR just always wanted him on the pitch, which I guess is flattering. But in all honesty he was completely ineffective at 12. He's good on the wing where he drifts inside for set moves to surprise defenders. At 12 they're already ready for him.

This is what he's like in position https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vnwcxdo6iwE

This sums up Lamont & Scotland https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riEWC--VIs4 why did he slow down and how did they butcher the try?

KickAndChase

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 13 Jun 2012, 8:26 am

He's certainly been one of Scotland's better players over the last 6 years or so, the timing of his injury was extremely unfortunate and when he came back he seemed to struggle at Northampton for a while before finding his feet again at the Scarlets. A player that more often and not gave his all, and as witnessed two seasons ago, was not afraid to upbraid his team-mates when he felt that they were not doing similarly. I don't believe he's finished on the international stage just yet tho

Last edited by AsLongAsBut100ofUs on Wed 13 Jun 2012, 8:34 am; edited 1 time in total

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Dorothy_Mantooth Wed 13 Jun 2012, 8:33 am

People really have short memories. It was only a year or so back that he was the only decent back we had, playing anywhere the coach asked.

Happy for him to drop down the pecking order as it suggests that we are improving. But some of the posts I have read about Sean are OTT in their appraisal of what he can and has brought to his country.

Dorothy_Mantooth

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 13 Jun 2012, 8:55 am

My favourite Shlong moment is his break out from our own 22 against New Zealand a few years ago - he made it all the way into their 22 before running our of steam!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by luvtotup Wed 13 Jun 2012, 11:18 am

Autumn Internatioal versus NZ. Who faces Savea- Jones- tackling suspect and small; Evans- ditto and Vissers defence also not his strong point.Lamont still in the frame imho.

luvtotup

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Wed 13 Jun 2012, 11:39 am

I'm not sure we should be writing Sean's obituary just yet. He's a senior member of the squad and will continue to be for a while IMO. God hope its not at 12 though. I think we'll see him on the bench this weekend but I'd rather have seen Ansbro or Brown covering the back positions instead on this occasion.

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Wed 13 Jun 2012, 11:47 am

luvtotup wrote:Autumn Internatioal versus NZ. Who faces Savea- Jones- tackling suspect and small; Evans- ditto and Vissers defence also not his strong point.Lamont still in the frame imho.

All problems I had with Jones defencively evaporated when he mullered Gilla in the match against Toulouse. I reckon he'll be fine.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Wed 13 Jun 2012, 12:07 pm

Visser and Evans would be a step in the right direction for Scotland, Sean is a useful squad member to have though.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Wed 13 Jun 2012, 12:07 pm

Maitland or Lamont?

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by Cryptoyourisan Wed 13 Jun 2012, 12:23 pm

I have a lot of time for Sean Lamont as well. I don't think that he has been used correctly in recent times. He's a good broken-field runner but because we've had such ineffectual centres for so long, Robinson has mistakenly played him there instead of bringing in bona fide centres earlier.

I would reserve judgement until we see how he will be used at Glasgow. I hope that Toonie keeps him on the wing, with some appearances at 13. Then again Glasgow are a bit short on quality options at 13 so as long as Dunbar proves to have good distribution skills, Lamont could be a shout there. Morrison is signed on for another couple of seasons as well so I would think that'll play a factor, sadly.

Cryptoyourisan

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Wed 13 Jun 2012, 12:24 pm

That bodes ill for Toonie's reign then.

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Wed 13 Jun 2012, 12:56 pm

I don't think it will be the end for Sean Lamont, he will have to really fight now to get into the Scotland team with new younger guys like Visser, Brown, Hogg, Jones and then guys like Evans already there. Lamont I think will still be pretty useful especially being used as an impact sub.
My starting back 3 would be 11 Visser 14 Tom Brown and 15 Hogg
so with Lamont on the bench he could cover wing and also in the centre with Brown as Fb cover.

As for the all blacks game and covering Savea i think Tom Brown is more than capable, Solid and agressive in defence and is very good in attack.

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by Cryptoyourisan Wed 13 Jun 2012, 1:00 pm

Majestic83 wrote:As for the all blacks game and covering Savea i think Tom Brown is more than capable, Solid and agressive in defence and is very good in attack.

And Lamont apparently can't cover Eoin Reddan, so I'm not sure he'll be that big a loss defensively if he is dropped in favour of Brown, Evans or Jones.

Cryptoyourisan

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 13 Jun 2012, 1:10 pm

nickj wrote:Maitland or Lamont?
The former pls

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 13 Jun 2012, 1:20 pm

I agree with the gist that Sean Lamont is always a winger first, centre second, but it does him great credit that he was able to adapt to playing 12 and 13 at international level.

He will be a big asset to Glasgow next season and I certainly think he'll be a squad player for Scotland next year. Visser's arrival will probably limit his starting appearances, but should Visser get injured then Sean Lamont still makes the side in my view, and would in any event be a good impact sub (something we haven't really had in the backline).

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Scot Abroad Wed 13 Jun 2012, 2:56 pm

Lamont is the type of player any coach would want in their squad. Gives absolutely everything regardless of whether he’s starting or coming off the bench. There are few wingers who tackle as hard as he does and his ability to break a tackle is incredible. He’ll be a great addition to Glasgow next season and I can see him having a couple more years of international rugby before retiring, hopefully with a 6N winners medal. Do they even give medals?

In reference to his break against the ABs, he didn’t run out of steam, he slowed down because he had 3 ABs covering him and no one in support, typical Scotland. He did exactly the right thing by making sure we kept onto the ball. If he’d have gone for it he would have been bundled into touch or conceded a penalty.

Scot Abroad

Back to top Go down

Post by KickAndChase Wed 13 Jun 2012, 3:16 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:My favourite Shlong moment is his break out from our own 22 against New Zealand a few years ago - he made it all the way into their 22 before running our of steam!

That was one of the links I posted Wink

It's a shame that line breaks don't tend to make even extended highlights on the 6N website or we'd have seen Lamont constantly for years. Oh for a support runner.

I'm really looking forward to him as an impact sub ... probably score more tries that way?

KickAndChase

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down