The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shane Mosley vs Carl Froch

+4
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
Seanusarrilius
mobilemaster8
RealDeal
8 posters

Go down

Shane Mosley vs Carl Froch Empty Shane Mosley vs Carl Froch

Post by RealDeal Wed 13 Jun 2012, 1:48 pm

This is my very first post so I would love a war of words to get me warmed up.

I think it's fair to say we all know and admire Carl Froch's approach to boxing, willing to take on the very best in his weight class in the last few years, and gave his absolute best in every bout.

But another fighter who, in my opinion, can match or even surpass these achievements, is Sugar Shane Mosley.

If we look at his last 10 opponents they look like this:

Fernando Vargas x 2 [/b][/u]
Although he was past his best, was still considered a major threat to Mosley, especially as he was considerably heavier and stronger.

Luis Collazo
Former Champ, southpaw, was considered very unlucky against Ricky Hatton and showed he had loads left against Berto a couple of fights later.

Miguel Cotto
Unbeaten, was considered the next big thing in boxing, just coming off a war with Zab Judah.

Ricardo Mayorga
Never an easy fight for anyone, and at this time was a very avoided fighter. Slightly passed it but was good enough for Cotto a few years later.

Antonio Margarito
Was considered a beast after beating Cotto in an absolute war. People feared for Mosley's career.

Floyd Mayweather
Unbeaten, considered pound for pound by the majority of experts

Sergio Mora
Not a great choice too be fair, but an understandable comeback opponent.

Manny Pacquiao
Again considered pound for pound by many experts. People feared for Mosley's health. He left Golden Boy for this opportunity

Saul Alvarez
Unbeaten light-middle weight champ, favoured to be the next big thing in boxing.

I'm not saying Mosley's the greatest fighter of his generation, but he deserves loads of respect for always looking for the biggest challenge out there. This doesn't even mention his fights with Oscar, Winky and the unbeaten Vernon Forrest (RIP).

He gave his all in every fight, even when his body was too old to match his desire.

In my opinion, a true warrior in every sense of the word, and a record that surpasses Carl's in terms of opposition faced.

RealDeal

Back to top Go down

Shane Mosley vs Carl Froch Empty Re: Shane Mosley vs Carl Froch

Post by mobilemaster8 Wed 13 Jun 2012, 1:51 pm

This is a bit of an odd one. Purely for the fact that carl only lost 2 in his past 28 fights or so.

Mosley lost 4 of those and drew 1!!!

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Wed 13 Jun 2012, 1:53 pm

He is only talking in terms of opp face. Welcome mate! Can't argue with Shanes level of opp, especially at end of career. To be honest tho, Shane was after paydays in Pac and Alvarez fights, but he still got int here and that is fierce opposition. Top respect for his Marg win; he obliterated a feared prescence and Marg was never the same man after.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed 13 Jun 2012, 1:54 pm

Of course he faced better opposition he faced the 2 best fighters of his generation. He also fought Winky Wright twice and no one wanted to fight Winky.

The Margarito win was my favourite he basically walked through a guy who was considered a monster after what he did to Cotto. He brushed off Margs shots like it was Paulie Malignaggi punching him and had him all over the place and Margarito had a fantastic chin.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by RealDeal Wed 13 Jun 2012, 2:06 pm

He also jumped from lightweight to welterweight (at the time it was very rare) and fought Wilfredo Rivera who was also avoided at that time as he had only been beaten by sweet pea (only just) and Oscar De la Hoya.

RealDeal

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Wed 13 Jun 2012, 2:07 pm

Roger that! Took it in the wrong sense.

Well, in terms of opponents faced no matter what the result, then Mosley takes it all day.

Pacquiao and Mayweather are (or were) the 2 best P4P fighters in the sport when he fought them.

Margarito was the favourite having battered Cotto. Mosley wiped him out which was unexpected.

His fight with Cotto was a decent one and took him all the way. (fairly close in my eyes)

I actually thought he gave Alvarez a decent scrap considering he was supposed to have been shot!

He will go down as an all time great, was unreal in his day at Lightweight!

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 13 Jun 2012, 2:17 pm

Nice tribute to Mosley, who was always a favourite of mine growing up. The horrible stench of BALCO has dimmed the light of his career and achievements somewhat, but whatever the truth, he was still an excellent fighter.

He went to 147 lb and beyond because that's where all the big fights were, and as a result I think people tend to forget what an outstanding Lightweight 'Sugar Shane' was. And when he did venture up to Welterweight, that first performance and win against Oscar was excellent in every sense.

Fantastic puncher, even at Welter or Light-Middle, excellent hand speed on the attack and a cast-iron jaw, too. Even in that surprising first defeat to Forrest, he showed great powers of recuperation and concentration to survive that second round onslaught. The only problem was that he tended to need to other man to meet him head on and up close, otherwise he struggled, as the Forrest, Winky and Floyd fights demonstrated.

Still, a top fighter when all's said and done. It's a relief to see him finally bow out - who could possibly have taken any pleasure in seeing those tepid displays against Mora, Pacquiao and Alvarez?
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Wed 13 Jun 2012, 2:32 pm

I'll let you off as this is your first post. But this is way off the mark, way. Welcome. I'm davidemore, you'll be seeing a lot of me on here heart

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Wed 13 Jun 2012, 2:46 pm

davidemore wrote:I'll let you off as this is your first post. But this is way off the mark, way. Welcome. I'm davidemore, you'll be seeing a lot of me on here heart

No it isn't! Good thread. Just highlighting tough opp.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Wed 13 Jun 2012, 3:01 pm

He was a phenom at lightweight, the power the speed, everything you need
To be elite but moved up to find the big fights.

He beat a prime ODLH, margarito (#1 welter after the cotto fight) and Vargas

However, his losses are overwhelming, although ther rid no real shame in losing

Wright was a great light middleweight and a awkward customer, but he lost twice pretty convincingly

Mayweather and pacquiao at ethe best 2 boxers of this era and Mosley was at te end of his career

Took a prime cotto into very dep waters when cotto was the main guy at the weight

Forrest just had his number imo and goes against him quite a bit, a black spot on his record

It would be interesting to see which fights he was juiced though

Froch lost to his best 2 opponents and Taylor and Abraham are both middleweights who haven't priced that they mad the jump up well and I though Dirrel beat him.

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Floyd Louis Wed 13 Jun 2012, 5:14 pm

RealDeal clap I mentioned this in my appreciation thread.

Some posters on here pick and choose who they'll give credit for consistently facing top opposition.

Sugar Floyd Louis

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down