The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ryan or Warbs at 8 Surely a no brainer?

+5
jimmyinthewell68
Morgannwg
glamorganalun
bedfordwelsh
dragonbreath
9 posters

Go down

Ryan or Warbs at 8 Surely a no brainer? Empty Ryan or Warbs at 8 Surely a no brainer?

Post by dragonbreath Wed 13 Jun 2012, 6:28 pm

Ryan is the form 8 in Wales and if you take out Dan's fearsome tackling the best all round 6. The only reason I can think of that Warbs at 8 has even been mooted is that they feel he cannot handle Pocock on his own and that we may gain control of the breakdown if we play 2 7s. My concern is that by so doing we sacrafice the significant contribution of a Lions capped number 8 in great current form. Frankly if they do not feel Warbs is up to the Pocock job then give Tips a run and afford Ryan the respect he deserves and on current form has earned.

Ryan has taken his setbacks (Captain to bench man) with dignity and no little determination to get back in a starting shirt. To snub him in this way after the contribution he has made and the manner in which he has conducted himself (a true professional AND PROUD WELSHMAN if ever there ws one) would be nothing short of disgraceful. Our backrow has been largely effective because of its balance. Warburton at 8 is just wrong and an overreaction that could go horribly wrong.

dragonbreath

Back to top Go down

Ryan or Warbs at 8 Surely a no brainer? Empty Re: Ryan or Warbs at 8 Surely a no brainer?

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 13 Jun 2012, 8:27 pm

Having been one of Ryans biggest critics I think this would be a huge kick in the teeth for him if Warburton gets the nod at N08 on Saturday.

Even as a Dragons fan I reckon he should have started on Saturday if Toby was fit.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Ryan or Warbs at 8 Surely a no brainer? Empty Re: Ryan or Warbs at 8 Surely a no brainer?

Post by glamorganalun Wed 13 Jun 2012, 8:33 pm

Why not have Warburton at 9 he passes faster than Phillips (joke like picking Warburton at 8).

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Wed 13 Jun 2012, 8:36 pm

I'm sure the management and Ryan are more wise than this. They will have explained the reasoning behind the idea and RJ will understand. Personally I think he is a better 6 than 8, he could start there for the third test.

Last edited by Morgannwg on Wed 13 Jun 2012, 8:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by jimmyinthewell68 Wed 13 Jun 2012, 8:38 pm

its got to be Ryan for me . bring on Sam if tips not having a good game but i doubt he will . excited much

jimmyinthewell68

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 13 Jun 2012, 8:39 pm

jimmy,

Sam will start no doubt about that just a case of where, for me its No7 with Jones at 8
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by jimmyinthewell68 Wed 13 Jun 2012, 8:45 pm

well then it has to be Ryan number 8 tips hopefully make the bench this time

jimmyinthewell68

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Wed 13 Jun 2012, 8:50 pm

This is what you get with this many players in good form. Somebody has to be unlucky and miss out. Out of Warbs, Tips, Lydiate and Ryan they can't all be in the starting XV unless you play one or two out of position. I'm just thankful one of them will provide a very strong option to come off the bench. Five years ago we didn't have a back row with nearly this much depth, I'm happy as far as this goes and I think the outcry at the suggestion of Sam playing 8 is way over the top.

Would it be too much to ask to wait until (if) he plays there before drawing conclusions? As I said on the other thread, this hardly means his days playing openside are over.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Wed 13 Jun 2012, 9:43 pm

Can't believe with Jones Delve Shingler and Turnbull that Wales are considering Warburton there.

Jones has been superb for Wales over the last 12 months when he has come on whether lock, flanker, or 8. Warburton might have been rusty against Pocock, but moving him to 8 cannae be the answer.

Get a grip Howley
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Thu 14 Jun 2012, 1:26 am

flyhalffactory wrote:Can't believe with Jones Delve Shingler and Turnbull that Wales are considering Warburton there.

Jones has been superb for Wales over the last 12 months when he has come on whether lock, flanker, or 8. Warburton might have been rusty against Pocock, but moving him to 8 cannae be the answer.

Get a grip Howley

To be fair out of those four players you named only Jones and Delve have solid records as int'l 8s. Shingler and Turnbull are largely untested at 8 and have made their names as blindsides/opensides thus far so I wouldn't consider them as viable options at the back of the scrum just yet. And as some have pointed out Warburton played 8 for the U20's and at the start of his senior career.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Thu 14 Jun 2012, 11:42 am

Knowsit17 wrote:
flyhalffactory wrote:Can't believe with Jones Delve Shingler and Turnbull that Wales are considering Warburton there.

Get a grip Howley

To be fair out of those four players you named only Jones and Delve have solid records as int'l 8s. Shingler and Turnbull are largely untested at 8 and have made their names as blindsides/opensides thus far so I wouldn't consider them as viable options at the back of the scrum just yet. And as some have pointed out Warburton played 8 for the U20's and at the start of his senior career.

Fixed that for you
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Thu 14 Jun 2012, 9:41 pm

Get a grip Howley

+1, totally agree, stupid idea but I suspect they may try it in the second half of the match if all is not going well. It is more likely Warburton will get injured so may not happen.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Fri 15 Jun 2012, 8:35 am

Movie Warburton to 8 is not a stupid idea and could be the answer, especially against a side like the Aussies.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Fri 15 Jun 2012, 3:31 pm

gowales wrote:Movie Warburton to 8 is not a stupid idea and could be the answer, especially against a side like the Aussies.

More meat on the bone gowales........ why is it not a stupid idea?.............. what do you mean "a side like the Aussies"?

6 Scott Higginbotham ...... massive, walked all over Lydiate for the first Aussie try, and on two other occasions during the match
7 David Pocock........ fast, wins 95% of the breakdown, and punches above his weight in the offence or defence
8 Wycliff Palu..... huge and nippy along those first five yards

So you think that a lightweight makeshift 8 in Warburton and an even more lightweight 7 in his place (Tuperic) will be the best option against that back 3 of Oz

flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Fri 15 Jun 2012, 3:45 pm

Flyhalf:

This does not seem normal, I agree with you again, the Wales back row were not up to the pace of the game or powerful enough. Having Warburton and Tips we will get blown away. I am hoping Lydiate and Warburton are up to speed for this game as they were not last week, the game lasts 80mins and starts at 0mins not 20mins.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Fri 15 Jun 2012, 3:55 pm

glamorganalun wrote:Flyhalf:

This does not seem normal, I agree with you again, the Wales back row were not up to the pace of the game or powerful enough. Having Warburton and Tips we will get blown away. I am hoping Lydiate and Warburton are up to speed for this game as they were not last week, the game lasts 80mins and starts at 0mins not 20mins.

Alun mate

The saving grace is that Warbs had his first game for what nearly 3 months, and Lydiate hadnt had a competitive match in about 2 months.... both these players have reached "world class" performances on more than a few games so I would be confident they can do it once the ring rustiness is off them.

The one thing I have never unerstood is putting Toby in before Ryan all last season as Jones has been immense in every game he played last season, and whilst Faletau is superb going forward he is not better in defence or in the pack.

Hopefully they will be much sharper on the weekend
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down