The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undercard Dilemma!

+9
RatBoy66
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
AlexHuckerby
manos de piedra
Rowley
Michaels, Sean
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
coxy0001
shenglong1983
13 posters

Go down

Undercard Dilemma!  Empty Undercard Dilemma!

Post by shenglong1983 Fri 08 Apr 2011, 9:07 am

Is there any plausible bout you could think of that may save Khan's Pay Per View on Sky?

There must be some fighters out there willing to take the money at short notice and get it on?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

shenglong1983

Back to top Go down

Undercard Dilemma!  Empty Re: Undercard Dilemma!

Post by coxy0001 Fri 08 Apr 2011, 9:10 am

And someone being Shenglong has returned

Brilliant...

Or not

And Khan isn't on PPV. They don't view it worthy, which i don't blame them for as Paul Mc is cack.

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Fri 08 Apr 2011, 9:16 am

Khan hasn't really done big PPV numbers in the past.

it's all Hattons fault, he should stick to the Guinness and White powder rathe than attempting a big show in the future
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Fri 08 Apr 2011, 9:44 am

It's not on PPV or was that a wind up?
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 08 Apr 2011, 9:53 am

Sean is not PPV was in the paper today. The rationale being used is with the cup semi in London the same weekend the potential market just isn't big enough.

Personally though there are enough rumours of Khan's fights not doing great figures in the past and with a relatively unexciting opponent, average undercard and no glamour fight in the US to package it with they have known this one would tank and have thought better of it. Think as well as they paid the purse for Groves Degale have to think Sky will want to do a proper hype job on that and do not want to harm the potential buy for that one or Haye to follow.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Fri 08 Apr 2011, 9:56 am

It's defo not on ppv. And by the looks of things there are more mccloskey fans with tickets than khan fans. Mccloskey sold his 5000 tickets plus in no time. And that was just his allocated bunch, that dosent take into account the Irish fans who bought them on tickermaster. Can't wait to head over next week
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 08 Apr 2011, 10:00 am

Have a good night Reborn, the MEN is a good venue have been a few fights there and if the place is full as it was when I saw Tyson there it should be a cracking night, think you may go home disappointed but you should have a good night anyway

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Fri 08 Apr 2011, 10:16 am

I still cant get my head around that Sky prioritised this over Haye. Now its not even on ppv? What were they thinking?

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Fri 08 Apr 2011, 10:22 am

Manos

I think they reserved the date for a Khan PPV, not knowing what the oppo was to be. Think they thought it'd be a better name than PM, and Khan doesn't yet having the casual sports fan following him like Hatton or Haye do etc to bung it on PPV regardless of opponent.

Did anyone ever find out what the PPV numbers were like from Haye v Harrison?

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 08 Apr 2011, 10:23 am

Manos according to an article on this on the Guardian Sky are getting tough with their promoters and as they knew the main event was not great they insisted on a stacked undercard and with the withdrawals and the like this one simply has not come up to scratch.

Personally I am all for it, beyond the obvious fact I get to save £15 it has been long enough in coming for the TV companies to get tough with promoters and start getting them to deliver value for money. Whilst no fan particularly likes PPV think most will tolerate it if they feel they are getting value, simple fact is Khan McCloskey and Haye Harrison were not value and it is risky in any business to treat your customers with contempt, well done Sky IMO.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 08 Apr 2011, 10:26 am

Coxy sky don't pubish them but rumour has it they were decent. However for all his faults Audley can't half sell a fight, only have to look on the forums how many rational knowledgable guys had bought into the "could he?" mindset.

The rumour is though that Sky were stung by the criticism of the hardcore fans about the lack of undercard action and the fact the show contained very little actual boxing and whilst names like Audley and Haye will always hook in the casual fans Sky cannot risk upsetting the hardcore fans too often, particularly as PRemier sports seems commited to showing boxing.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Fri 08 Apr 2011, 10:27 am

No problems at all with Skys stance but given that they could be confident that the Haye fight would be against Klitschko in April then I would have thought anthing less than Khan v Bradley would mean the slot goes to Haye.

Seems an awful gamble to reserve a slot for Khan against an unnamed opponent and risk jeopardising a Haye v Klitschko fight which almost went to the wall.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Fri 08 Apr 2011, 11:26 am

PPV Numbers for Haye Harrison was 750,000 one of the best numbers in Britain ever, which is bad for Boxing considering what a farcicle the event was and how many people came away dissappointed. Anyone think there could be a possible Khan fight on the undercard of Haye Klitschko fight or is it too close to the McCloskey? Also would Khan be happy being on an undercard seeing as he hasn't been beaten and impressing people since he started Headlining in America?
Khan will fight Bradley there is a possibility it won't happen straight after McCloskey however, because of the slight controversy with Maidana being very unhappy with the scorecards and the point off debarcle and the little point of the first fight being an absolute cracker I have to wonder whether the rematch is on Khan's mind afterward, or perhaps he would like to stay away from Maidana, let's not forget this weekend Maidana is fighting Morales for the Vacant Interim title at LWW this weekend, and if he wins he will become the Number One Contender for the WBA LWW Title giving him more of a reason to push for it. But the fight with Bradley is too big for Khan to say no to, especially seeing as he has claimed many times since he will clean out the division before moving up.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Fri 08 Apr 2011, 11:28 am

Alex

Got a link for your rather bold statement regarding the PPV numbers?

Ta very mooch

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Fri 08 Apr 2011, 1:28 pm

Sky don't release their figures but stories tend to get out and Haye vs Harrison apparently did very well. Remember it was the first fight ever broadcast in 3D in Britain. Haye, Harrison and Sky sold the fight very well. It got plenty of TV time on Sky Sports and many on media outlets.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by RatBoy66 Fri 08 Apr 2011, 1:43 pm

Khan has done well on sky ppv in the past but this fight just wasn't selling so they've decided to drop it as a ppv event. That's the reason for it, it just isn't a big enough fight.

RatBoy66

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Fri 08 Apr 2011, 1:47 pm

I agree Rat with that in principle, but not sure they know if it's selling on PPV over a week out. Who buys them that far in advance?

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Fri 08 Apr 2011, 1:49 pm

RatBoy66 wrote:Khan has done well on sky ppv in the past but this fight just wasn't selling so they've decided to drop it as a ppv event. That's the reason for it, it just isn't a big enough fight.

It's not just down to Khan's past figures though. Sky feel the Cleverly bill and Haye vs Wlad will sell better and don't want 3 PPV's in the space of 3 or 4 months they know people will pick and choose.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by RatBoy66 Fri 08 Apr 2011, 1:55 pm

Scottrf wrote:I agree Rat with that in principle, but not sure they know if it's selling on PPV over a week out. Who buys them that far in advance?

It's a bit of inside info for you scott. People do buy weeks ahead and this just wasn't selling. No great loss for the likes of you and me but for sky it's a bit of a disaster.

RatBoy66

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Fri 08 Apr 2011, 3:26 pm

Do you think he lost some of the more fantical side of his following after dipping it in to Jordan?
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by Small Time Fri 08 Apr 2011, 4:06 pm

Michaels, Sean wrote:Do you think he lost some of the more fantical side of his following after dipping it in to Jordan?

Yeah! When he caught that midnight train to........ah no wait, thats Georgia...............damn those Masters adverts.

Small Time

Back to top Go down

Post by Dominic Dicoco Fri 08 Apr 2011, 4:52 pm

Thank God this isnt PPV. It would have been laughable and damaged boxing even more than its current state.

Dominic Dicoco

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Fri 08 Apr 2011, 8:52 pm

RatBoy66 wrote:
Scottrf wrote:I agree Rat with that in principle, but not sure they know if it's selling on PPV over a week out. Who buys them that far in advance?

It's a bit of inside info for you scott. People do buy weeks ahead and this just wasn't selling. No great loss for the likes of you and me but for sky it's a bit of a disaster.
Was your source the Daily Mail? According to them only 50 people had bought it. I don't think people buy this far in advance and apparently on Virgin you can't until the day.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Fri 08 Apr 2011, 10:37 pm

I always thought most people order the fight through their remote so would be ordering it a week in advance at the most.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Sat 09 Apr 2011, 10:52 am

i normally buy ppv on the day, but i wouldnt have been buying this. half of manchester is going to be empty because of the semi, probably taken over by the irish mclosksy fans. i can see this one finishing early and with no undercard sky couldnt risk having another massive let down after haye v harrison.

it wasnt just khans fault this, warren has shown recently that if you have a good enough undercard you can sell fights that havnt got a great main event. im more looking forward to tonights card. thats how boxing cards should be!!

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sat 09 Apr 2011, 12:14 pm

Warrens last 2 PPV shows have been good and well worth the money. I wasn't paying for this although I did pay for Haye vs Harrison only to watch it in 3D though.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down