The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Deontay Wilder - Could He Just Step It Up A Tad?

+18
TopHat24/7
ONETWOFOREVER
alanqlm
lfc91
Pound-for-Pound
Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake
Seanusarrilius
Gordy
J.Benson II
azania
eddyfightfan
sittingringside
TheMackemMawler
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
ShockmasterV2
bellchees
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
AlexHuckerby
22 posters

Go down

Deontay Wilder - Could He Just Step It Up A Tad? Empty Deontay Wilder - Could He Just Step It Up A Tad?

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 17 Jun 2012, 12:09 pm

I mean granted, they want to bring him along slowly, but how slow do you have to bring him along?

His next fight is against Owen Beck, who has lost his last 7 and is 36. Now, ok, I'm all for bulding someone up slowly and not putting them into title fights before they are ready. However, surely they could put him up against someone who can throw back? Just someone who will ask some form of a question on the real stage, not talking about euro type level opposition, literally am talking about some form of half decent domestic type opposition, just a bit worse than a Sam Sexton type of fighter.

Why do they seem to just want him to face real bums, constantly? Surely by now they should be giving him something that ask SOME form of a question.... Right?

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Deontay Wilder - Could He Just Step It Up A Tad? Empty Re: Deontay Wilder - Could He Just Step It Up A Tad?

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 17 Jun 2012, 12:12 pm

Golden Boy are waiting on the Klitschkos to retire then they will release the Bronze Bomber on the World. For now he will just keep beating up the morbidly obese and elderly.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Deontay Wilder - Could He Just Step It Up A Tad? Empty Re: Deontay Wilder - Could He Just Step It Up A Tad?

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 17 Jun 2012, 12:14 pm

But surely during this time he could be learning a bit more than he is, without making major waves.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 17 Jun 2012, 12:16 pm

I agree but they seem to want to hold him back unless they know something that we don't like he is an alien or something. Who knows.

Very strange for someone who looks to have talent to still be fighting at this level after 20 odd fights.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Sun 17 Jun 2012, 12:16 pm

I think the sooner he fights someone decent the sooner he will be on Wlad's radar which is something his promoter will want to avoid at all costs. Wouldn't be at all surprised if his sparring is more competitive than his fights.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 17 Jun 2012, 12:22 pm

Well, I desperately hope he's learning stuff in the gym, because otherwise he's literally just stagnating.

Also, surely he can just not bother to fight Wlad, pretty similar to what actual Top Ten ranked HW's like Povetkin and Fury etc. are doing.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by ShockmasterV2 Sun 17 Jun 2012, 1:01 pm

SugarRayRussell (PBK) wrote:Golden Boy are waiting on the Klitschkos to retire then they will release the Bronze Bomber on the World. For now he will just keep beating up the morbidly obese and elderly.

I agree with this comment, the Yanks love a golden boy and a young, cocky, undefeated heavyweight will instantly connect with the viewers. For all their talent in the middle weights the Yanks probably crave for the next best heavyweight more than us Brits. To say you have the best fighter in the world is something they've been wanting to do for years. It's like the Olympics, you can be the best at 400 or 800 metres, but what draws in the biggest crowd and the most amount of interest is the 100m, to see who the fastest man in the world is.

It hurts me to say but, i see Wilder outworking Fury and outfoxing Price.
ShockmasterV2
ShockmasterV2

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sun 17 Jun 2012, 1:32 pm

His matchmaker should be fired, he is the most hyped boxer around today. He has a decent amatuer background getting a bronze medal but are so afrai to move up competition. He has fought only obese fighters or cruiser weights and a couple ex LHW journeymen

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Sun 17 Jun 2012, 3:53 pm

Next year will you change your name to WHU_Champo_League in_6yrs?

Last edited by TheMackemMawler on Thu 19 Jul 2012, 2:25 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : v)
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by sittingringside Sun 17 Jun 2012, 4:17 pm

These days if you stick your head even a little above the parapet, you get called out by the Klitschko's. They really will target anyone who looks half decent. Not really their fault, they're just scratching for any worthwhile matchups.

sittingringside

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon 18 Jun 2012, 1:23 am

Povetkin etc. seem to manage to avoid a K Bro fight and has FAR more credentials than Deontay Wilder will even if he does decide to take on 3 or 4 domestic type opponents, so I'm pretty sure he can just say no to a fight at this stage and not get too much chucked at him.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Mon 18 Jun 2012, 5:56 am

not seen the guy, is he any good?

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Mon 18 Jun 2012, 6:01 am

wow, what a fabricated record. why put someone in just to KO nobodys in a round?

they should put him in with someone like bobby gunn

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 18 Jun 2012, 6:02 am

He has a lot of hype, but personally I see him as a US level fighter (as opposed to Euro level). No great shakes. His version of the Ali shuffle is hilarious. Two left feet.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Mon 18 Jun 2012, 6:10 am

just watch 2 fights of his, pointless first straight punch landed and they were over

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Mon 18 Jun 2012, 6:57 am

just watched it, thats furys next opponent

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Mon 18 Jun 2012, 7:11 am

i think he might get through if he switchs to southpaw again

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Benson II Mon 18 Jun 2012, 8:10 am

Wouldnt surprise me if Wilder gets KO'd the moment he steps up in class.

J.Benson II

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Benson II Mon 18 Jun 2012, 9:28 am

alma wrote:
J.Benson II wrote:Wouldnt surprise me if Wilder gets KO'd the moment he steps up in class.

I'd be surprised. Decent amateur background. Heavweight bronze in 2008, whilst David Price got super heavyweight bronze.

Mind you, by the time he does step up in class he'll be ready to retire!

I just feel that being fed a diet of stiffs is detrimental to his development as it could lead to him becoming complacent over his oppostion and over-rating his own abilities. He could find himself in serious trouble the moment he takes on someone who will take his shots and fight back.

J.Benson II

Back to top Go down

Post by Gordy Mon 18 Jun 2012, 9:34 am

Your record is only as good as who you have fought and beat. Its an old promoters trick thats been going on since boxing began to line up no hopers to make their fighter look good and con the public into thinking they are watching the next big thing.

Even great fighters like Ali and the Sugar Rays lost but that was because they were fighting the best fighters in the world and not journeymen that the likes of Price, Harrison and Fury are matched with.

Gordy

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Mon 18 Jun 2012, 9:35 am

I will only start watching Wilder when I see something other that a Turkey in the opp corner.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake Thu 19 Jul 2012, 5:13 am

I almost got excited when I heard he was fighting against another unbeaten boxer, however I've just checked out the guys record on Boxrec (sorry)

http://boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?human_id=398870&cat=boxer

He may be 13-0, but only three of those fights have been against fighters with more wins than losses!

C'mon Deontay, step it up a tad!

Back to top Go down

Post by Pound-for-Pound Thu 19 Jul 2012, 6:11 am

Didn't he almost get taken out by Harold Sconiers? He's built like a HW Tommy Hearns and may have the same weaknesses in the punch resistance department because of it.

Pound-for-Pound

Back to top Go down

Post by lfc91 Thu 19 Jul 2012, 6:19 am

I read an article on wilder(pretty sure it was trustworthy) pretty much stating they planned to have 25 fights(against easy opposition) before stepping up the level. This was to make up for a relatively short amature career, even though he won that bronze. Will try and find the article for anyone whos interested.

lfc91

Back to top Go down

Post by alanqlm Thu 19 Jul 2012, 6:21 am

This guy he is fighting does have a decent win against Hamer on his record to be fair, but a few MD against no hopers.

alanqlm

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Thu 19 Jul 2012, 6:22 am

He has skinny legs for a heavy will get koed easily by a Price or Fury.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 19 Jul 2012, 6:31 am

The guy is useless. Poor footwork and balance. All arms and legs flailing like a 1920s boxer. useless. The moment he steps up in anythng resembling class, he'll get found out.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by lfc91 Thu 19 Jul 2012, 6:32 am

http://www.boxingnews24.com/2011/11/deontay-wilder-looking-for-big-things-in-2012/

lfc91

Back to top Go down

Post by lfc91 Thu 19 Jul 2012, 6:33 am

Thats the article in question, hopefully 2 more bum fights then a step up!

lfc91

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Thu 19 Jul 2012, 6:37 am

lfc91 wrote:Thats the article in question, hopefully 2 more bum fights then a step up!

Might as well fight them on the same night and be done with it.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by lfc91 Thu 19 Jul 2012, 6:39 am

Wouldnt be a bad idea, 3 fights on one night might just add up to a ten rounder!

lfc91

Back to top Go down

Post by Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake Thu 19 Jul 2012, 9:12 am

lfc91 wrote:http://www.boxingnews24.com/2011/11/deontay-wilder-looking-for-big-things-in-2012/

Did his mum write that article? Biased much???

Right now Wilder is clearly the best heavyweight prospect in the world

Shocked

Back to top Go down

Post by lfc91 Thu 19 Jul 2012, 9:37 am

Very biased i agree, but makes a good attemp to explain the 23 tonatoe cans hes fought thus far!

lfc91

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 19 Jul 2012, 11:40 am

Jeez that article was one sided. I don't disagree the guy is among them with the top prospects in the HW's, but stating he could beat Price and Fury with just a right hand is ludicrous, I would prefer to see him against a live opponent preferably, rather than just stating he's the best and it's not even an arguement.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 19 Jul 2012, 11:59 am

Some great comments though, including this twit (I've highlighted the best bits):

dougie boy says:
November 30, 2011 at 2:09 pm

this guy can punch we all no this but what we dnt no is what will he be like going lets say 10rds will he have the wind,what will happen wen he gets tagged will he be able to take it an what will happen wen he fights a durible guy how will come to win am british an tyson furys a fraud hel be found out like fradly harrison,price he looks ok but wen r hiz promoters goin2 test him,ad like to see all 3 of them fight guys like holyfield,tua,rachman,grant,barrett,mccall,johnson,guinn,botha,sproot, even fradly harrison all they fighters av said r past it sum r tough like holyfield an tua who wouldnt fold the others wel the young prospets should beat al of them an if they cant they would be better off trying something else but all the above would be a step up from the fighters they have been fighting unknown eastern europens who have barely won a rd nvr mind a fight would like to hear your veiws fight fans

What a dumb numpty, sign of the country's failing education system!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Thu 19 Jul 2012, 12:01 pm

I think you've reduced Rowley to a quivering wreck by showing that tophat.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 19 Jul 2012, 12:15 pm

Jeeez, it looks like it was typed by TRUSSMAN as he squatted over a keyboard with a pencil gripped "betwixt his cheeks"

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 19 Jul 2012, 12:26 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:Some great comments though, including this twit (I've highlighted the best bits):

dougie boy says:
November 30, 2011 at 2:09 pm

this guy can punch we all no this but what we dnt no is what will he be like going lets say 10rds will he have the wind,what will happen wen he gets tagged will he be able to take it an what will happen wen he fights a durible guy how will come to win am british an tyson furys a fraud hel be found out like fradly harrison,price he looks ok but wen r hiz promoters goin2 test him,ad like to see all 3 of them fight guys like holyfield,tua,rachman,grant,barrett,mccall,johnson,guinn,botha,sproot, even fradly harrison all they fighters av said r past it sum r tough like holyfield an tua who wouldnt fold the others wel the young prospets should beat al of them an if they cant they would be better off trying something else but all the above would be a step up from the fighters they have been fighting unknown eastern europens who have barely won a rd nvr mind a fight would like to hear your veiws fight fans

What a dumb numpty, sign of the country's failing education system!

Jeez, I do wish they'd put a live opponent in front of Price, yeah this guys got it, Holyfield!!!!

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by lfc91 Thu 19 Jul 2012, 2:41 pm

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DgUlfI5VlZuY&v=gUlfI5VlZuY&gl=GB

Couldnt believe both the condition of one of wilders opponents or that he put him down!

lfc91

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Thu 19 Jul 2012, 4:15 pm

ahahahahahahaahhaahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahaahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahha

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by The genius of PBF Sun 19 Aug 2012, 6:31 am

Deontay Wilder is the real deal...He would be the one to dethrone Wlad if anyone could.

Wilder has openly stated his desire to fight Tyson Fury so im sure he will start stepping it up soon.

The genius of PBF

Back to top Go down

Post by lfc91 Sun 19 Aug 2012, 6:54 am

PBF to be fair fury has been saying he wants to fight all these top fighters and snds up fighting the rogans/maddelones out there, so wouldnt put to much weight behind what wilder said. That being said i would back wilder to take out fury, as fury has shown he can be susceptable to the overhand right and wilder has a HUGE overhand right!(still cant shake the image of him being floored by that obese guy though, was hilarious!)

lfc91

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sun 19 Aug 2012, 9:22 am

He called out Tyson Fury, that would be an interesting matchup. He is also helping Audley Harrison get ready for David Price.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 19 Aug 2012, 1:20 pm

That sounds good to be fair, at least he seems to be showing his intent to step it up, but going from journyeman to Fury is a bit of a step... Maybe a bit too much of a step up, I know I created this article to say that Wilder should be fighting at a higher level, but going up against a guy who is about a fringe world level contender at this moment in time and is at least (Ranked) in the top 10.

From journeyman to fringe world level contender is a massive leap, I would at least have liked him to go to a Vinny Maddalone type of guy, to at least see what happens when he lands and the guy doesn't fall over straight away.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by lfc91 Sun 19 Aug 2012, 2:15 pm

He wont get the fury fight though! Why would fury risk a fight against a lowly ranked heaveyweight who can realy bang? He cqn get a title shot by continueing to do what hes doing...i would like to see tise fight though!

lfc91

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Mon 20 Aug 2012, 12:28 pm

Wilder has fought dross, but given his age and lack of experience I think the 25 fights plan seems fair and pretty smart.

For what it's worth I'd back him to beat Fury, who doesn't make great use of his size and looks fairly open to a right hand.

Whatever happens, presuming they all have desire for it, Mitchell/Price/Wilder/Fury could all provide some interesting fights in the next few years.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down