The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

10 Reasons to be Positive after England Beat Ukraine 1-0

+16
Josiah Maiestas
Mad for Chelsea
Liam
GSC
GG
Hoggy_Bear
CFCNick
Thomond
eirebilly
azania
marty2086
lorus59
whocares
EnglishReign
Jennifer1984
Duty281
20 posters

Go down

10 Reasons to be Positive after England Beat Ukraine 1-0 Empty 10 Reasons to be Positive after England Beat Ukraine 1-0

Post by Duty281 Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:58 pm

1) Top of the group. Many predicted England to crash out at the group stage, some said England would get 2nd. Few said England would top the group but they have with 7 points, fantastic!

2) Unbeaten through the group stage. Haven't done that in a Euros since Euro '96.

3) Momentum. 1 impressive draw against France then 2 victories, the England team are slowly picking up momentum.

4) First clean sheet. Good boost for the defence and Joe Hart, a lovely clean sheet to show for their efforts.

5) Rooney scored. Despite being an easy finish, that goal will give Rooney a confidence boost and a massive lift.

6) Extra day of rest. By topping the group, we have an extra day of rest, an extra day to give any wounds to heal and we can be fresher for the Quarter-Final.

7) It's Italy. We could have been playing the World Champions, instead it's Italy. Yes, they're a good team, but not as good as Spain.

8) The opposition are floundering. Spain struggled, Holland are out, France lost to Sweden, Italy haven't set the World on fire, Germany edged through. This tournament is open.

9) Team effort. So far, England haven't been about individuals, we've worked solidly as a team. Teams win trophies, you ask Greece.

10) Only 3 games. We're halfway to European glory, 3 games from the trophy...

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

10 Reasons to be Positive after England Beat Ukraine 1-0 Empty Re: 10 Reasons to be Positive after England Beat Ukraine 1-0

Post by Jennifer1984 Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:12 am

Well, after reading that, what can I say..? Perhaps you might send it to The Sun who I am sure would be delighted to print it, probably with a free, giveaway St George's flag, bowler hat and "We're Gonna Reign In Ukraine" car sticker.

Yep... we're only 3 games from the trophy. That would be the hardest three games, then.

Rooney vs Ballotelli in the Quarter Final. What a match up that could be..!! My money is on Super Mario to score three goals, strip naked on the pitch at the final whistle, balance a supporters hat on his Winkle and shout "How's that for a hat trick".

Beep beep.... Mehhhhhh..

Jennifer1984

Back to top Go down

10 Reasons to be Positive after England Beat Ukraine 1-0 Empty Re: 10 Reasons to be Positive after England Beat Ukraine 1-0

Post by Guest Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:11 am

Germany edged through? They won all 3 games!!

Yes England are looking solid, but that's where I would draw the line. What I have liked about this England team is the discipline and shape they maintain. This is why I was surprised Capello failed so miserably at the World Cup 2 years ago.

I think the burning question now is does Walcott start ahead of Milner? Most people I have been talking with feel he should and knowing it is only a winner takes all format I think he needs to start with an attacking team and maybe utilise Milner if England are in the lead. The Italian team isn't blessed with pace and I think maybe start Walcott and hit them from 1st minute. Though I may suspect he might wait until the second half and bring on the Ox and Walcott to pick the bones from a tiring opposition.

For me Germany are looking like the winners. They have the perfect blend in their squad. Spain were always looking like second best when Villa was ruled out. I was surprised with Del Bosque's tactics in the Croatia game when taking his only striker off and bringing on midfielders. They still won which even baffled me further.

Yes the tournament is open, but Germany are likely opponents should England overcome Italy and at this moment in time I am not liking our chances!

Back to top Go down

Post by EnglishReign Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:24 am

Italy have only won one game, am I right?

EnglishReign

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:26 am

EnglishReign wrote:Italy have only won one game, am I right?

Correct and that was against the weakest team in the Euros.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:33 am

Italy always seem poor and certainly far from favourites but thats when they actually grind out victories and win trophies (world cup 1982 and 2006).
will be an interesting QF, personnaly think we will see a penalty session at the end Wink

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by lorus59 Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:59 am

I think all the people who think Platini and UEFA are always against England, might want to ask why the officials didn't allow a legitimate Ukrainian goal in yesterday's match. I think this conspiracy theory can finally be kicked into touch.

lorus59

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:11 am

One thing to burst you bubble

ITS ENGLAND!!!! Very Happy

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:11 am

Italy are notorious slow starters.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:16 am

Italy may be slow starters but the best football i have seen them play was against Spain. The other two matches they were poor. If they play England the way they played against Spain then England will struggle but i do believe that England has the team to beat Italy this time.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:19 am

Italy are okay not great. I can see it being a boring match! England certainly have the goods to beat them. Ireland looked half-decent against Italy ffs!

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:21 am

Ireland really attacked Italy Thomond, seriously put them on the back foot. I would suggest that Roy Hodgson will look at that game in particular when deciding his appraoch.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:27 am

We attacked in our own way alright. Long balls up that were effective. "Super Kevin" Doyle had a superb game, why Trap brought him off I don't know. He makes dafter decisions than Deccie Kidney!

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:28 am

billy to be fair though I think Italy were caught out and were expecting Ireland to roll over again which they did eventually

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by CFCNick Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:28 am

legendkillarV2 wrote:Germany edged through? They won all 3 games!!

But only by one goal margins. Right now I'd say anyone bar Greece and Czech Republic can win it at this point. Nobody jumps out as definite favourites to me.

CFCNick

http://pucksandpitchforks.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:29 am

lorus59 wrote:I think all the people who think Platini and UEFA are always against England, might want to ask why the officials didn't allow a legitimate Ukrainian goal in yesterday's match. I think this conspiracy theory can finally be kicked into touch.

Like the officials in the Germany v England match in 2010 and what Wenger says a lot.....

I didn't see it.

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:31 am

legendkillarV2 wrote:
lorus59 wrote:I think all the people who think Platini and UEFA are always against England, might want to ask why the officials didn't allow a legitimate Ukrainian goal in yesterday's match. I think this conspiracy theory can finally be kicked into touch.

Like the officials in the Germany v England match in 2010 and what Wenger says a lot.....

I didn't see it.

Well apparently neither did the guy standing 3feet away whose sole job was to watch if the ball goes over the line Doh

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:32 am

MockingJay33 wrote:

But only by one goal margins. Right now I'd say anyone bar Greece and Czech Republic can win it at this point. Nobody jumps out as definite favourites to me.

One goal margins win you games. I think they jump out as favourites to me. Beaten Holland and Portugal.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoggy_Bear Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:33 am

Which legitimate goal was that?
The one that should have been called offside earlier in the move?

Hoggy_Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:37 am

MockingJay33 wrote:

England beat lesser teams by 1 goal margins.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by GG Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:39 am

MockingJay33 wrote:

Beating Denmark, Portugal and Holland by one goal margins is a lot more impressive than beating Ukraine and Sweden by one goal margins.

GG

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:44 am

Hoggy_Bear wrote:

It wasnt though and the ball crossed the line

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:47 am

marty2086 wrote:billy to be fair though I think Italy were caught out and were expecting Ireland to roll over again which they did eventually

Caught out or not, they looked very open to an Irish side who are pretty pish to be honest. Italy have only really played well against Spain and that was when spain were not playing strikers. I honestly feel Carroll will cause the Italian defense nightmares and Rooney will nip in for 1 or 2.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:51 am

marty2086 wrote:
Hoggy_Bear wrote:

Like the goal. It wasn't.

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:53 am

marty2086 wrote:
Hoggy_Bear wrote:

The (full) ball was mm over the line.
Milevskiy was a yard offside.

Who was more hard done by?
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:55 am

I think Ukraine since theres a guy whos meant to stand there and spot it but thats football for you

Loved the commentator though saying they went back over it and it was offside therefore it was JUSTICE!!!

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:57 am

marty2086 wrote:I think Ukraine since theres a guy whos meant to stand there and spot it but thats football for you

Loved the commentator though saying they went back over it and it was offside therefore it was JUSTICE!!!

Like the guy with the flag who is meant to spot offsides.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoggy_Bear Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:58 am

marty2086 wrote:
Hoggy_Bear wrote:

So if it had been given England would have been unlucky. As it wasn't given, it was merely fair.

Hoggy_Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:05 pm

legendkillarV2 wrote:
marty2086 wrote:I think Ukraine since theres a guy whos meant to stand there and spot it but thats football for you

No hes got other jobs the extra official was added as an alternative to technology

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:08 pm

marty2086 wrote:
legendkillarV2 wrote:

No hes got other jobs the extra official was added as an alternative to technology

So a linesman is not there to give offsides?

Superb logic! thumbsup

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:12 pm

legendkillarV2 wrote:
marty2086 wrote:
legendkillarV2 wrote:

Superb logic! thumbsup

No the logic is the extra official stands still and looks across the line to spot the ball crossing it that is the one thing he has to do the assistant has to keep up with play so at times misses offsides if you need it further explained I can boxing

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:18 pm

marty2086 wrote:
legendkillarV2 wrote:
marty2086 wrote:
legendkillarV2 wrote:

Superb logic! thumbsup

No the logic is the extra official stands still and looks across the line to spot the ball crossing it that is the one thing he has to do the assistant has to keep up with play so at times misses offsides if you need it further explained I can boxing

I'll explain it better. The linesman does not need to run the whole pitch. It is not tiring as you make out to be.

Trying to justify one mistake above another is quite bizarre. The linesman didn't give the offside he was in a position to do so and an official not giving a goal in the correct position are the same things. Hence if the linesman gave the correct decision, the line official wouldn't be in a position to have to call a 'goal'

furious

Back to top Go down

Post by EnglishReign Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:10 pm

Goal or no goal, England would've topped the group. I'll let them have it, there you go England 1 - 1 Ukraine. Thank you and goodnight.

EnglishReign

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:16 pm

Basically the only team that could be aggrieved would be England
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:17 pm

If England get past Italy I think they have a great chance of making the final I really do. I still don't rate Walcott and I would keep starting Milner and using Walcott as a super sub. Its working so far, why change it.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:22 pm

Am I right in thinking this is the first time England have beaten the host/joint host of a major tournament on their patch?

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:28 pm

[quote="legendkillarV2"]Am I right in thinking this is the first time England have beaten the host/joint host of a major tournament on their patch?[/quote

Commentators were talking about this last night, apparently the only other time was against Switzerland in the '54 World Cup!

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:34 pm

Another landmark in what could be a historic week for the English Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:47 pm

it's not quite true that the extra officials are there only to check the ball crossing the line, they're also there to rule on penalty area infringements if they see any. Of course an official was about a yard away from a bit of fairly obvious shirt tugging in the Spain-Croatia game and gave nothing there... Don't get the point of them TBH, the technology's there, let's use it!

I do feel sorry for Ukraine who didn't get the breaks yesterday and have performed pretty well all tournament (with the exception of a lousy ten minutes spell against France), but that's football.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:57 pm

I have yet to see these extra officials make any big calls on clear penalty area infringements which we frequently see on tv replays, often of clear shirt tugging and players being dragged down purposely off the ball, which are so clear on tv replay's you wonder what's the point of them being there.

Also, its impossible for them imo to see if the ball has crossed the line in such a split second. They only see it once and like the lines man and the ref, have a split second to make an enormous decision. As we saw with the replay's, it took less than a minute to get a replay up and running and see clearly that the ball has crossed the line. Anyway, how many times have we had this argument and now finally we will be seeing it implemented into the game.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:19 pm

[quote="Duty281"]
legendkillarV2 wrote:Am I right in thinking this is the first time England have beaten the host/joint host of a major tournament on their patch?[/quote

Commentators were talking about this last night, apparently the only other time was against Switzerland in the '54 World Cup!
Switzerland only existed as a country after 1963.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Effervescing Elephant Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:39 pm

Switzerland was formed as a country in 1291 so not sure where you got that from. They also held the World cup in 1954 as the other poster quite rightly stated. I think you might mean that Switzerland joined the council of Europe in 1963, different thing completely.

Last edited by Carpe Diem on Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:42 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Euros instead of World cup and many, many typos. So many typos!)
Effervescing Elephant
Effervescing Elephant

Back to top Go down

Post by LivinginItaly Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:29 pm

Thought you might be interested how some Italians (my friends) are viewing the upcoming quarter final clash between Italy and England.

The general concensus is that the current Italian squad is very poor, and they tell me that they expect England to win.

However the experts' views on Rai (national broadcaster) say that England under Hodgson are much worse than 2010 under Cappello, and that they expect Italy to beat England.

LivinginItaly

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:04 pm

I think you could argue either way, I fancy Italy to beat England, but I don't think it's a huge stretch of the imagination to think that England could beat Italy. Both sides have had better teams in the past, and are still relying on some of the stars of yesteryear (Gerrard, Pirlo, Terry, Buffon).

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jennifer1984 Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:40 am

I wondered how long it would take for the conversation to drift into the realm of the controversial incident of the non-goal.

My take on this is that, the question of "Did-it-didn't-it-cross-the-line" will continue in football until such time as goal line technology is introduced and then, if it does it's job properly, then that issue will be resolved.

And then a whole new can of worms will be opened.

I'm going to start a new thread, on this very topic, with a specific scenario that should get some discussion going. It will be a more general type of subject, so not in the Euro 2012 section. Just football, generally. Check it out and let me know what you all think.

Jennifer1984

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:02 pm

I suspect the non-goal question would not be such a big issue if the reaction in 2010 had not been as overblown.

The argument that these things even themselves out would be more readily accepted if the English media (can't speak for the English public other than the mindless ramblings of the numpites that phone 606) had not thrown such a collective hissy fit about the Lampard non-goal. It shouldn't have been the main focus given the real issue was that Germany had just handed England's arse to them.

Offside or not, the attempts to justify the decision are more than a little hypocritical!

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down