The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

10 Reasons to be Positive after England's 1-1 Draw

+4
Hoggy_Bear
Stella
dancingweeman
Duty281
8 posters

Go down

10 Reasons to be Positive after England's 1-1 Draw Empty 10 Reasons to be Positive after England's 1-1 Draw

Post by Duty281 Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:48 am

1) We got a point. Speaks for itself really, England were heavy underdogs going into the game and most expected a comfortable French win. England rallied and got a 1-1 draw giving them a vital point which gives us a great chance of qualifying for the Quarters.

2) Our defence was good. Aside from the goal, Hart only made one real save from a clear-cut chance and if our defence can limit one of the best attacks in the tournament to a single goal, it bodes well.

3) The first 30 minutes were great. We could and should have been 2-0 up. Our attacking quality was looking good.

4) The heat won't trouble us as much in the future. The next 5 games at this tournament that England play will be at night. England won't wilt in the heat on Friday in 35 celsius conditions allowing us to play better.

5) Roy took a gamble. Always a good sign! He had faith in an 18-year old who played well and if you've got a manager taking gambles, that shows he's confident and knows what he'd doing.

6) Parker was solid. No sign of his achilles injury and he broke up the French attacks for near enough 80 minutes. A fine job Scotty.

7) Glen Johnson was better than we thought. The weak link in England's defence tends to be with Johnson but he was immense last night, going forward, tracking back and making good tackles. Great display.

8) Lescott proved his worth. Despite not being first-choice but in because of Cahill's injury, he displayed confidence, maturity and produced a sound defensive effort. Oh and he scored a goal as well. A far cry from Carragher/King/Upson at the last World Cup.

9) England's fans are brilliant. No off the field trouble from them and a higher than expected showing from them - 3,000 predicted, around 5,000-6,000 turned up, They outnumbered the French 5 to 1.

10) It's looking good and things will only get better. The only way is up as the confidence and fitness levels improve. Oh and our best attacker will be back soon. Plus we've negotiated the best team in the group. We have a great chance of topping the group.

Roll on Friday! 2-0 England, Welbeck to get a brace!

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

10 Reasons to be Positive after England's 1-1 Draw Empty Re: 10 Reasons to be Positive after England's 1-1 Draw

Post by dancingweeman Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:20 pm

Reasons to be negative?

1 - We managed just one shot on target all game (and only 2 or 3 off target)

2 - We didn't keep the ball enough. (Granted we were playing France, but this will need to improve in the other 2 games)

3 - Although many are saying that was our toughest game, Sweden now have to win to stay in the competition, and because the Ukraine won, regardless what happens in this round of games, they will still have something to play for in the final round. In front of a home crowd i would expect them to come out of the blocks at us hard.

Having said that....I was quite pleased with Monday night. I thought we did well and do feel slightly optimistic!

dancingweeman

Back to top Go down

10 Reasons to be Positive after England's 1-1 Draw Empty Re: 10 Reasons to be Positive after England's 1-1 Draw

Post by Stella Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:18 pm

dancingweeman wrote:Reasons to be negative?

2 - We didn't keep the ball enough. (Granted we were playing France, but this will need to improve in the other 2 games)

3 - Although many are saying that was our toughest game, Sweden now have to win to stay in the competition, and because the Ukraine won, regardless what happens in this round of games, they will still have something to play for in the final round. In front of a home crowd i would expect them to come out of the blocks at us hard.

Having said that....I was quite pleased with Monday night. I thought we did well and do feel slightly optimistic!

That's a positive considering we scored a goal Very Happy
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by dancingweeman Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:49 pm

Ha, true. I suppose we were pretty clinical in that respect!

dancingweeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:51 pm

I don't think it was bad to have secured a point.

What is good is that we looked like a proper team. If we wind the clocks back to 2010 at the World Cup where we just looked out of sorts. What Roy has done well is bring structure to the team.

As we have Rooney back Friday, I would like Milner to drop out. Have Young on the left and Chamberlain on the right and play Rooney off Welbeck.

I would like the defence just to be a bit less wasteful with the ball and tighter in marking. The midfield could spread the ball a bit better and stretch the pitch. I am hoping that Rooney can bring Welbeck into the game and involve him a bit more compared with the midfield.

The main thing was it's a start. It would be silly for the press or fans to expect immediate success. Imagine the team that played Germany 2 years back. Would've got mullered on the form that France showed.

C'mon England.

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:55 pm

Rooney's not back till Tuesday.

I would bring in Carroll, push Young out wide and give the Ox a break (harsh).

Two wingers and balls in the box.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:57 pm

Tuesday? Stoopid brother telling me otherwise!! He is in me dream team!

In that case I agree Stella, bring in Carroll. I think the Ox should start. If he flakes, there is always Walcott.

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:58 pm

Who would you drop?
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:04 pm

Milner. Put Young on the left and Chamberlain on the right. I think the formation is right to have 2 up top. I think Carroll up top gives greater freedom for Welbeck to run in around him and straight down the middle. Carroll won't drop as far as Rooney, which puts the pressure on Welbeck to anticipate the runs better.

It is a toss up between Carroll and Walcott. Roy might have liked what he saw and may stick with Young and Welbeck. Sweden don't have the quickest of defenders. I think Carroll may encourage the long ball and play into the Sweden's strength at the back.

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:09 pm

Young for me didn't really know when to drop or stay with Wellbeck. I'd prefer to see him on the wing.

Milner played ok and as usual ran his legs off but he does lack a bit of quality at times, so wouldn't be against dropping him.

Ibrahimovic is my worry. gets some stick at times but is a class player.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoggy_Bear Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:10 pm

We should play a 4-2-3-1 when we have the ball, converting to a 4-5-1 when we haven't.
Parker and Jones sitting deep, Young and the Ox on the wings, Gerrard sitting 'in the hole' behind Welbeck.
When we lose possesion (a lot), wingers and Gerrard drop back to give us more defensive protection.
Easy.
Maybe I should apply for the managers job Very Happy

Hoggy_Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:12 pm

It may be up for grabs in a couple of weeks Wink
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:15 pm

Gerrard doesn't have the pace to play in the hole, he's had a lot of injuries over the last couple of years and both Liverpool and England are realising that he can't be expected to play in the hole any more, he has to sit deeper because he's simply too old to play in the hole.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:17 pm

Once Young came inside, the French were all over the shot and struggled to keep him out of the game.

Milner did put in a solid shift. Should've scored. For me he would be good cover for Parker provided he avoids his lunges!

Ibrahimovic is a class act. Not sure he would have the same freedom he did Monday, but Tymoshchuk spent most the game going to chase him down so Parker may be kept busy. Can''t remember the chap's name that played off him.

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:21 pm

Elmander?

Missed a couple but he's just come back from injury, apparently.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:24 pm

The one thing I do hope is that Roy is a bit more ambitious in his substitutions. Even at 1-1 against France I still think a few tweeks may have brought another goal. I know by bringing on Carroll may have encouraged the long ball, but it can lead to things. Remembering Ireland v Germany in 2002 at the WC when Quinn won a flick on for Keane to nab a last minute equaliser. I don't want to see Roy go cautious when the game is to be won or has hit a deadlock.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:25 pm

I thought Elmander came on as a 2nd half sub?

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:27 pm

legendkillarV2 wrote:I thought Elmander came on as a 2nd half sub?

Must be somebody else Very Happy
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:33 pm

Stella wrote:
legendkillarV2 wrote:I thought Elmander came on as a 2nd half sub?

Must be somebody else Very Happy

I have Rosenborg down as who started. Trusty Yahoo Laugh

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:41 pm

Roy wanted a draw first up hence the tactics, subs but he should be a little more positive on Friday.
I don't want us needing a win on Tuesday.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by JamesLincs Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:51 pm

dancingweeman wrote:Reasons to be negative?

just because sweden have to win, doesnt mean it will be tougher. if we played san marino, and they had to win, it wouldnt mean we would have a tough game on our hands. if it was a portsmouth under 5's who had to win, again it doesnt mean they have the ability to cause us problems. apart from ibra and larssons right foot, sweden arent anything special. add to that its a must win for them because theyve already lost. so chances are they may lose again. past history is also irrelevant, its merely coincidence.

JamesLincs

Back to top Go down

Post by ian_jamsie Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:56 pm

They banned the England band.

Anyone else miss them?

Personally I thought the atmoshpere even in a half empty stadium seemed better.

ian_jamsie

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:43 pm

I love your unerring positivity Duty, it is quite endearing...

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by JamesLincs Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:58 pm

ill buy him a pint if we win the euro's.. or ill atleast post him £3.30

JamesLincs

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:59 pm

£3.30 for a pint?? Be lucky to get a pint of coke for that round my way......

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by ian_jamsie Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:59 am

You can get some bitters for less than that.

ian_jamsie

Back to top Go down

Post by JamesLincs Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:11 am

yeah thats about what youll pay around lincoln

JamesLincs

Back to top Go down

Post by ian_jamsie Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:14 am

One pub in the centre of Aberdeen sells a 5% beer called Plum Treat for £2.

It is actually pretty decent. You can only get it in one pub.

ian_jamsie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down