The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jim Watt on Ortiz - Pretty Accurate I Feel

+6
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
paperbag_puncher
azania
88Chris05
mobilemaster8
Pedro147
10 posters

Go down

Jim Watt on Ortiz - Pretty Accurate I Feel Empty Jim Watt on Ortiz - Pretty Accurate I Feel

Post by Pedro147 Fri 22 Jun 2012, 9:56 am

It is never ideal to face a different opponent to the one you were initially expecting, but it is all part of the game and a well-prepared fighter should always feel ready. I don't think Ortiz will be at any kind of disadvantage.

"Vicious" does still have some question marks to his name, though, following previous matches against Marcos Maidana and Lamont Peterson, as well as his most recent contest against Floyd Mayweather.

When Ortiz is on form he is a wonderful fighter, but there are lingering doubts over his attitude and temperament
How to remote recordOrtiz lost in the sixth round to Maidana in 2009 and got a little bit of stick that I don't feel was necessarily deserved. He put up a terrific showing, putting Maidana on the floor as well as getting up off the canvas himself. It just reached a stage where Maidana was too much for him.

You have to remember that other fighters have decided half-way through fights to bail out, including Roberto Duran and Vitali Klitshcko, who did it when he injured his arm against Chris Byrd. It is not an indelible stain on your character.

However, Ortiz did let himself down against Peterson a couple of years ago. For four or five rounds he was wiping the floor with his opponent, but then just stopped working, which allowed Peterson to come right back into the fight and get a draw.

Ortiz should have won the fight clearly; he had Peterson on the floor and was on the verge of garnering a stoppage win but then just switched off.

And then against Mayweather, after delivering a blatant headbutt, he couldn't apologise enough, and as he was giving his third apology, he gave Mayweather two or three shots and was then knocked out.

It wasn't so much the defeat that shocked me - Mayweather is in a different class to most and there is no shame in getting knocked out by him - but the fact that Ortiz had a beaming smile after the match. Perhaps he was just thinking of the money he had made.

Ortiz is a strange character because, in between all those blips, he came out with that excellent display against Berto. He seems to be a fighter who switches on and off; one night he shows blind courage, yet on others he is not in the mood.

When he is on form he is a wonderful fighter, but there are lingering doubts over his attitude and temperament. I'm sure that won't let him down in this clash against Lopez, but it might in future in bouts at the top level - and possibly in his rumoured next fight against Saul Alvarez for the WBC light-heavyweight title.

Out of the blue
Focussing on Saturday night, though, and Lopez is a good fighter. He has had a tough schooling and this represents a great opportunity for him.

The 27-year-old has been on the fringes for quite some time without getting a chance and now he has a shot out of the blue he will be raring to go. He is not expected to win so that may also work in his favour.

But Lopez is physically smaller than Ortiz, having just moved up from light-welterweight. He is also coming off a defeat to Jessie Vargas, so I reckon Ortiz will be bigger, quicker and have the momentum with him.

It will be a good fight in the early stages, but you've got to fancy Ortiz to take control the longer it goes on. I think he will secure a clear points victory.

A win for Ortiz would make him a more appealing prospect for Kell Brook, who was on Ringside with me this week. Kell needs a big name on his résumé and Ortiz, once Brook has come through Carson Jones, would be perfect.

Pedro147

Back to top Go down

Jim Watt on Ortiz - Pretty Accurate I Feel Empty Re: Jim Watt on Ortiz - Pretty Accurate I Feel

Post by mobilemaster8 Fri 22 Jun 2012, 10:00 am

Ortiz would crush Kell Brook at this stage IMO. The guy is an animal. However, like Jim states, it completely depends on which Ortiz turns up! If he turns up like he did against Peterson/Maidana then Brook will punish him for a stoppage. If he turns up like he did against Berto then Kell will be in for a VERY hard nights work. Great fight though.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Jim Watt on Ortiz - Pretty Accurate I Feel Empty Re: Jim Watt on Ortiz - Pretty Accurate I Feel

Post by 88Chris05 Fri 22 Jun 2012, 10:07 am

I think Brook is destined to meet Bailey later this year for the IBF to be honest. That (the IBF route) was the plan all along, I feel, although most anticipated it would be Mike Jones rather than Bailey with the belt now! Perfect for Brook, really, because if their recent form is anything to go by, he'll box rings around Bailey and then have a strap to bargain with. The Ortiz kind of fights we won't be seeing until 2013, I reckon.

By the way, Brook outboxes Ortiz too, for my money.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 22 Jun 2012, 10:23 am

I can't see a Brook/Ortiz fight happening unless Brook moves up to LMW to fight Ortiz after he beats Canelo.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 22 Jun 2012, 10:40 am

I can see Brook winning a title whoever he fights (Floyd excluded). But he will lose to Khan as I believe Khan will target the IBF belt to hold as a bargaining chip for a Floyd fight.

Back to the OP. Very accurate analysis of Ortiz from Watt.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Fri 22 Jun 2012, 10:41 am

Brook maybe doesn't have the build to go up to Light-Middle, but he has the perfect style for a little bit of weight hopping. Wouldn't be surprised to see him testing the waters at 154 lb in two or three years time, providing he has a fair bit of title success at Welterweight first, which I think he will.

But as Alma has said, right now there are some good fights at Welter, plenty in fact. And if only one of the three best 140 lb young guns (Khan, Olusegun, Rios) step up, then Brook could find himself spoilt for choice.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by paperbag_puncher Fri 22 Jun 2012, 10:46 am

Good assessment from Jim. I'm a fan of Ortiz and seem to be one of the few who don't hold the Maidana fight against him. I think he would give Brook a real test and would back him to KO Khan if they ever met.

paperbag_puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Fri 22 Jun 2012, 2:29 pm

Bailey is fighting Alexander next and will lose his IBF title. Brook will have to go for Paulie IMO for the WBA one because Ed wont let Brook anywere next Alexander
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveVDK Fri 22 Jun 2012, 9:00 pm

Ortiz is one of those fighters were it depends on, to use a boxing cliche, "which version turns up", if the Ortiz that beat Berto and in the words of Larry Merchant "fought like a man possesed", then Alvarez, who has never fought a strong, fast, powerful young fighter like Ortiz before could be in for a rough night.

DaveVDK

Back to top Go down

Post by UpandUnder Sat 23 Jun 2012, 8:13 am

When he is on his game he is scary.....when he's not he is scared....bet example of a fighter who blows hot and cold.

He shouldn't have been matched v mayweather, all the momentum and belief he built up by coming up in weight and looking like a monster v Berto has just been deflated completely.

I hope he comes back strong v Lopez and Canelo as I find him a very exciting fighter to watch and he could make for some great fights v the likes of brook, khan, cotto, Bradley or PAC

UpandUnder

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Sat 23 Jun 2012, 12:13 pm

i think he'll come unstuck against el ginger in september

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by UpandUnder Sat 23 Jun 2012, 1:00 pm

Yeah I think Canelo wins also but wouldn't be surprised if he gave a very credible performance.....also I wouldn't be surprised if he came to pieces ha u never know with victor

UpandUnder

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sat 23 Jun 2012, 2:33 pm

I think he'll KO Saul in 5 or less. Saul has a leaky defense and (imo) a weak chin. Offensively he appears brutal, but I don;t think he packs too much of a wallop. Otriz on the other hand is a beast and size will not be an issue.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Sat 23 Jun 2012, 3:08 pm

i love watching ortiz fight. he has a knack of putting his opponents of on their backsides.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down