The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Andy Murray - The Wimbledon Challenge

+6
Josiah Maiestas
Danny_1982
banbrotam
Calder106
laverfan
CaledonianCraig
10 posters

Go down

Andy Murray - The Wimbledon Challenge Empty Andy Murray - The Wimbledon Challenge

Post by CaledonianCraig Fri 22 Jun 2012 - 21:34

Andy Murray goes into Wimbledon 2012 with not the ideal preparation and has a tough draw ahead of him so what a monumental challenge this tournament will be.

In recent weeks he has had a back injury which seems to have now cleared up (fingers crossed) and his grass court preparations have been disappointing with an early exit at Queens. Couple that with a tough draw he got today laced with tricky opponents and I'd be gobsmacked if Andy can break his slam duck here. Andy will need to hit the ground running from the start next week and take each game as it comes. The first three rounds all offer potentially tricky opponents but the big challenge (for me) awaits in the 4th Round in the form of big hitters Milos Raonic or Marin Cilic. Beyond that lies possibly Del Potro and Rafael Nadal. Should Andy reach the semis he will have done very well and I'd presume he and us fans would enter the semi full of confidence and hope. Unfortunately, the omens/signs going into Wimbledon don't fill me with confidence but time will tell. Best of luck Andy - I have a feeling you'll need it.

CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Andy Murray - The Wimbledon Challenge Empty Re: Andy Murray - The Wimbledon Challenge

Post by laverfan Fri 22 Jun 2012 - 22:10

If Roddick can turn the tide of time, he is in the same quarter (2009).

Murray. Fingers Crossed

You are correct, CC, he needs it for 2012. And Olympics to follow.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Andy Murray - The Wimbledon Challenge Empty Re: Andy Murray - The Wimbledon Challenge

Post by CaledonianCraig Fri 22 Jun 2012 - 22:17

I just don't quite feel he is in the right place at the moment. I hope I am wrong but feel uneasy just now.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 22 Jun 2012 - 22:22

I think Murray has the most difficult quarter. If he can make it through his quarter to the semi-finals - then that would affirm his slam winning potential, which I see perhaps coming in 2013/2014 (as long as he doesn't get dispirited). I think perhaps either an Olympics or a WTF title this year could be within his grasp.

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Fri 22 Jun 2012 - 22:25

Wherever his run comes to an end as long as he goes down fighting and playing aggressively from quarter-finals onwards then that will be something.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Calder106 Fri 22 Jun 2012 - 22:27

Sort of feel the same Craig. Not seen much recently to make me think he will do well this year. Still it can sometimes only take one small thing to turn it around. So here's hoping.

Calder106

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Fri 22 Jun 2012 - 22:29

One thing about Andy is he always comes good in Slams (at least good enough) to get into the second week so here's hoping......
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Fri 22 Jun 2012 - 22:45

If he can silence his detractors with a big scalp at W, Murray would have made the best of a good start (as shown at AO) and put the Queens loss behind him.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Fri 22 Jun 2012 - 22:49

With Murray I don't think it has ever been about silencing the detractors but more just about believing more in himself and remaining aggressive throughout a match.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Fri 22 Jun 2012 - 22:50

I agree that I don' think he's in good enough form for this year

However, I do think the draw actually helps him as he's going to get into the groove quickly

We forget that Murray has a very good record against the so called hard hitters and even better against players above his height - I actually don't fear him against Cillic or Del Potro. I'd be more worried about the classy, on form and currently better playing David Ferrer

But no. US Open is the one, where I think he will break his duck

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Fri 22 Jun 2012 - 22:54

Actually, I fear Raonic. As for Ferrer I feel Del Potro would be more of a problem as Ferrer is not all that great on grass in my opinion.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Sat 23 Jun 2012 - 1:48

I fear almost every round! That's a real dog of a draw. I had predicted he'd make the final... Not sure he'll make the semis now!

Oh well, at least every match will be good to watch.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sat 23 Jun 2012 - 2:29

If he gets further than the 3rd round then he's had a good week. Certainly doesn't got the look of a top 16 player, nevermind top 4...
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by CAS Sat 23 Jun 2012 - 2:49

thats a brutal draw for Murray, but as Chelsea showed the more brutal the challenge the more special it becomes!

CAS

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sat 23 Jun 2012 - 5:25

banbrotam wrote:I agree that I don' think he's in good enough form for this year

However, I do think the draw actually helps him as he's going to get into the groove quickly

We forget that Murray has a very good record against the so called hard hitters and even better against players above his height - I actually don't fear him against Cillic or Del Potro. I'd be more worried about the classy, on form and currently better playing David Ferrer

But no. US Open is the one, where I think he will break his duck

Murray is better equipped to take on Del Potro than then other 3 in my view, yes Fed at full form take DP down but rarely he exhibits that consistency except for the start of this year.

Like other Murray Fans I do believe tough start is better for Murray than easy draws, this time around I see kinda tricky draw for all 4 players, i don't see an easy draw for anybody, but neither see any draw as difficult.

Match to watch for Tommy Haas vs Nadal in earlier rounds, can Haas keep up his form [ a very good grass player]. will Nadal's drop in form in grass continue?

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by Calder106 Sat 23 Jun 2012 - 8:14

invisiblecoolers wrote:[Match to watch for Tommy Haas vs Nadal in earlier rounds, can Haas keep up his form [ a very good grass player]. will Nadal's drop in form in grass continue?

Wimbledon winner 2010, Runner-Up to Djokovic in 2011. Wish Andy was having that drop in form on grass. Smile

Calder106

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sat 23 Jun 2012 - 10:50

I'm not a Nadal bandwagoner and he's hardly had a 'drop of form' on grass invisi..

Last edited by Josiah Maiestas on Sat 23 Jun 2012 - 11:21; edited 1 time in total
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Sat 23 Jun 2012 - 11:19

invisible - of the last five Wimbledons he has contested, Nadal has made the Final every time and pocketed the winner's cheque twice.

What "drop in form in grass" have you noticed, out of interest ....?

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by harrpau7 Sat 23 Jun 2012 - 13:15

I posted on another thread, I want to see Murray def Nadal and federer to win Wimbledon.

With the Olympics also at Wimbledon, I want to see Murray defeat Djokovic in the final and then get Grand Slam revenge on Nole at either the US Open or Australian Open. But I can't see it unfortunately Sad

harrpau7

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down