The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Emotional Control And The Top Four

3 posters

Go down

Emotional Control And The Top Four Empty Emotional Control And The Top Four

Post by hawkeye Sun 24 Jun 2012, 9:59 am

Emotionally playing tennis at the top level is difficult. The scoring system can lead to highs turning into lows and vice verca very quickly. All kinds of annoying and frustrating things can happen and you have to deal with it on your own. At the same time your opponant (and a huge audience) can watch your every move and scrutinise it for weaknesses. Mental strength is often said to be the difference between a champion and an almost champion. So it is interesting that the top four all have a different approach to emotional control.

Djokovic and Murray don't appear to wear a game face. They are willing to display the emotions they feel. I would describe both as "uncontrolled".

Djokovic (uncontrolled). He wears his heart on his sleeve. Shows frustration,fatigue and anger but also lots of positive emotion. He will also smile, applaud an opponants good shot and acknowledge the crowd. The on court Djokovic is very much like the off court Djokovic.

Murray (uncontolled negative) Like Djokovic Murray appears to wear his heart on his sleeve but many of the emotions displayed are negative. He is not scared to show his opponant weaknesses.

Both Federer and Nadal have chosen to control their emotions on court. They both put on a game face with their Nike headbands and only take it off when they remove their headbands at the end of the match. Only occasionally do they let it slip and then everyone talks about it...

Federer (controlled) Watching him it's difficult to judge if he's 6-0 5-0 up or he's about to lose a slam match after having match points. This is not because he isn't emotional (just watch for tears at the end of a match) but because he's chosen not to display his emotions.

Nadal (controlled positive) Nadal is interesting as he controls the negative emotions but displays the positive ones. You can definitely tell if he's hit a good shot but watching him like Federer it's difficult to judge the score.

What is the best approach to emotional control? I would say being controlled but positive like Nadal. But this approach is rare so maybe it's difficult?

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Emotional Control And The Top Four Empty Re: Emotional Control And The Top Four

Post by Guest Sun 24 Jun 2012, 10:11 am

Nadal (controlled positive) Nadal is interesting as he controls the negative emotions but displays the positive ones. You can definitely tell if he's hit a good shot but watching him like Federer it's difficult to judge the score.

What would you describe the FO?

Negative.

I don't think it is positive the body language he showed.

For me Federer has the best game face. Sometimes he shows emotion when in a scrap of a match, other than that he is reserved. He let's the racquet do the talking.

Nadal, Murray and Djokovic all demonstrate the same emotional traits. When down on their games they all look to their boxes for some form of inspiration or for a better dirty word 'coaching'

When they are being taken apart they talk to themselves and look to their boxes. When the chips are down they can't find the inner strength to turn things around mentally on their own. They need to find a momentum starter and it is either the box or the fans. Even when in control of matches they still look to their boxes for some form of confirmation that what they are doing is right. Reassurance.

Great players can control themselves on court without resorting to looking outside of themselves. Federer, Sampras, Borg. They could all do this.

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sun 24 Jun 2012, 10:34 am

I think its all about remaining focussed. I think as soon as emotions start creeping into their game then the UE start. I have seen this on occasions with Rafa.. when something has gotten to him.. his face doesn´t always show it but his game does. That is why Borg was so remarkable.. he knew that once he gave way to his inner emotions (he had a pretty nasty temper) it became self-destructive and he lost focus. I think emotions have crept more into Federers game over the last couple of years and I would say there have been fleeting moments when it shows. Andy is sadly the one who illustrates the "self-destruct" factor.. with his behaviour on court more than any of them ..the very thing that defeats him more than any opponent can. Im not sure about Nole .. some of his reactions are negative and immediate but I also believe that Nole is a great actor and a crowd pleaser

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 24 Jun 2012, 10:42 am

"The difference of great players is at a certain point in a match they raise their level of play and maintain it. Lesser players play great for a set, but then less."

"There's always one shot that I can rely on when I'm not hitting the ball that well, is my serve."

"It's one-on-one out there, man. There ain't no hiding. I can't pass the ball."
Quotes from the same Tennis player

ps - anyone having problems with this site (it seems to hang a lot recently due to those flashy ad connections).

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest82 Sun 24 Jun 2012, 11:20 am

Djokovic does the whole 'playing possum' thing. You think he is dead on his feet then he produces his A game and turns a set/match around.

I think people have cottoned onto this now.

Guest82

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down