The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most Emotional Moment You Have Witnessed In Tennis

+8
Bright_hsd
socal1976
monty junior
Tom_____
newballs
Masked Magician
noleisthebest
legendkillar
12 posters

Go down

Most Emotional Moment You Have Witnessed In Tennis Empty Most Emotional Moment You Have Witnessed In Tennis

Post by legendkillar Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:56 pm

Guys a heart tugging question. What is the most emotional moment you have seen and felt completely moved by it? Tears of joy? Tears of pain? S sporting gesture that goes beyond words?

I have 2

1) Andre Agassi's farewell at the US Open 2006 - Agassi lost to Benjamin Becker after confirming before the US Open he was to retire from the game after the tournament. The year before he had lost to Roger Federer in 4 sets and I was convinced he was going to retire, but he still had the belief he could win one more Slam. I remember the 3 minute standing ovation he received and I am not afraid to admit I cried as the show of affection for him was immense. I couldn't contain myself that such a career had come to an end and the crowd felt connected to him in such a way. Like he was a man of people for the people.

2) Federer's tears at Wimbledon 2003 - When Roger finally made it to the final, we all we expecting to see the start of his dominance. When he won he fell to his knees and cried tears of joy. He dedicated his victory to his junior coach Peter Carter who tragically died in 2002 in a car accident. Watching Roger knowing he had fulfilled his potential and knowing that Carter would've been extremely proud of him. It was moving in every sense.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Most Emotional Moment You Have Witnessed In Tennis Empty Re: Most Emotional Moment You Have Witnessed In Tennis

Post by noleisthebest Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:59 pm

I hope I'm going to see it on Sunday....I will be one very happy, crazy mess king

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Most Emotional Moment You Have Witnessed In Tennis Empty Re: Most Emotional Moment You Have Witnessed In Tennis

Post by Masked Magician Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:03 pm

Soderling beating Nadal at the French Open in 2009. I was totally numb and couldn't believe what I had witnessed.

Masked Magician

Back to top Go down

Post by newballs Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:59 pm

Most emotional moment?

Goran's Wimbledon victory I guess.

newballs

Back to top Go down

Post by Tom_____ Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:30 am

Agassi Farewell, Nadal 2008 Wimbledon, Ivan 2001

Murray 2011 USO, lol!

Tom_____

Back to top Go down

Post by monty junior Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:49 am

I would probably cry if Murray wins on sunday, he's been close so many times and it would be great to get the monkey off his back.

I've never wanted to cry so much Shocked

monty junior

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:26 am

I kind of think Pete Sampras crying over the loss of his coach in the Australian Open on his way to victory and breaking down while he was playing was also very special. I wonder what year that was, the guy was having a nervous breakdown on court.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Most Emotional Moment You Have Witnessed In Tennis Empty Most Emotional Moment You Have Witnessed In Tennis

Post by Bright_hsd Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:10 am

socal1976 wrote:I kind of think Pete Sampras crying over the loss of his coach in the Australian Open on his way to victory and breaking down while he was playing was also very special. I wonder what year that was, the guy was having a nervous breakdown on court.

1995 Australian Open QF against Jim Courier.

Bright_hsd

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:17 pm

Maybe not an emotional moment but entertaining one nonetheless.

It was way back in '80 or 81'? at one of those international indoor tournaments here. It was a boiling hot night and John McEnroe was playing Vitas Gueralitis if memory serves me correct.

It was a cracking match - complete with power rallies and the usual high tension on every point. The crowd loved it. At one point towards the end of the match a linesman's call went against McEnroe and he started to have a go at the chair umpire in an attempt to overturn the call.

After some classic McEnroe questioning and then realising he wasn't going to have the point reversed he let go with a classic barrage which ended with:

"You're lower than dirt!"

I guess that was pretty emotional after all!

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:21 pm

Linebreaker wrote:Maybe not an emotional moment but entertaining one nonetheless.

It was way back in '80 or 81'? at one of those international indoor tournaments here. It was a boiling hot night and John McEnroe was playing Vitas Gueralitis if memory serves me correct.

It was a cracking match - complete with power rallies and the usual high tension on every point. The crowd loved it. At one point towards the end of the match a linesman's call went against McEnroe and he started to have a go at the chair umpire in an attempt to overturn the call.

After some classic McEnroe questioning and then realising he wasn't going to have the point reversed he let go with a classic barrage which ended with:

"You're lower than dirt!"

I guess that was pretty emotional after all!

Got to love the Big Mac. Thats a really good story. The guy epitomises the word 'competitor' in it's truest sense.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:47 pm

Legend,

I also had a maths teacher at the time who was an umpire at the NSW Open in the late 70s. During one match involving Jimmy Connors he called a few 'lets' which infuriated Jimmy to the point where he said he would refuse to play in the tournament again if Mr_____ was the umpire.

The next morning at the end of a calculus lesson Mr _____ said to us:

"I suppose you are all wondering what happened last night at the tennis...with the match involving Mr Connors?"

(Most of us had watched it - we were all talking about it to each other before the class.)

"Well, the FLUFF of the ball hit the FLUFF of the net....so I correctly called 'Let'.

Now, make sure you all hand in your assignments on time tomorrrow or you will be similarly punished!." (this last bit I have exaggerated slightly)

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by erictheblueuk Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:58 pm

Gotta be Fed finally getting that RG title after so long, cause time was running out and some people were saying he'd never win it:-

http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/x4IraP44ozh/2009+French+Open+Day+Fifteen/0turPOYbi5Q/Roger+Federer
erictheblueuk
erictheblueuk

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:45 pm

Oddly enough, both during 1992 Wimbledon:

Agassi winning his first slam after several GS final defeats and eventually deciding that he did, after all, rather like Wimbledon and the Wimbledon crowd similarly deciding that they did, after all, rather like Agassi.

McEnroe's run to the SF, and I particularly remember watching coverage of him leaving the grounds after one particularly great win on a lovely evening and being so pleased that his transfer from enfant terrible to older statesman much loved at Wimbledon was cemented.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:36 pm

1969 Laver completing the Slam @USO.

1969 Wimbledon - Pancho Gonzales - Charlie Pasarell

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/295913-a-portrait-of-pancho-gonzales-wimbledon-1969

3 July 1995 - Pancho Gonzales passes away due to stomach cancer.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down