The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Munster 2012/13

+10
valjester
maestegmafia
red_stag
LeinsterFan4life
Don Alfonso
Sin é
LordDowlais
Rory_Gallagher
Thomond
profitius
14 posters

Go down

Munster 2012/13  Empty Munster 2012/13

Post by profitius Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:36 pm

Don't see any similar thread so I thought I might as well start one.

The academy places for next season has been announced.

Munster Academy
http://www.munsterrugby.ie/news/10580.php

Year Three
Brian Hayes (Lock)
Corey Hircock (Centre)
Ronan O’Mahony (Wing)

Year Two
Shane Buckley (Wing forward)
Duncan Casey (Hooker)
James Cronin (Prop)
Cian Bohane (Centre)
Philip Donnellan(Lock)
Niall Scannell (Hooker)
Cathal O’Flaherty (Back row)

Year One
Ryan Murphy (Back row)
Jack O’Donoghue (Back row)
Jonathan Holland (Out-half)
Darren Moroney (Full back/wing)
James Rael (Hooker)
Brian Haugh (No 9)

Its also been reported that JJ Hanrahan has signed a full professional contract. He was on a development contract. It looks like Rob Penney intends on playing him a bit.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Munster 2012/13  Empty Re: Munster 2012/13

Post by Thomond Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:40 pm

The fella O'Donoghue in year one is a very, very good player That Waterpark team were outstanding and he was a key player. Nice to see a fella from Cork who doesn't go to PBC or CBC get in too. Might see another one in a few years...... just remember I said that.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:49 pm

Thomond wrote:The fella O'Donoghue in year one is a very, very good player That Waterpark team were outstanding and he was a key player. Nice to see a fella from Cork who doesn't go to PBC or CBC get in too. Might see another one in a few years...... just remember I said that.

Anyone in mind, Thomond?

Yeah good to see a Waterford player make it. A few posters who have seen him play have been really impress with O'Donoghue.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:50 pm

Thomond wrote:The fella O'Donoghue in year one is a very, very good player That Waterpark team were outstanding and he was a key player. Nice to see a fella from Cork who doesn't go to PBC or CBC get in too. Might see another one in a few years...... just remember I said that.

What position in the back row? Another 6/8 or a 7? Tell me more. Smile

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:02 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:

Hes a 6 or 8. 8 in the pic below. Is still U18 this year which is young for a player to make it into the Munster academy.

Munster 2012/13  Jack_ODonoghue_Waterpark_Web
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:06 pm

Munster really need to do something next season, at the end of last season they looked very tired and as a result they took some right tunings in the Rabbo playoffs and in Europe, for me they need to build more strength in depth in the forwards and perhaps one or two more in the backs because something was clearly missing at the end of the season just gone. Also, I cannot speak for all you Munster fans, but it must really hurt seeing Leinster dominate Europe the past few seasons and although they lost the final they still topped the Rabbo, seeing all this must cut deep so what would you suggest that your province should do to take the top dog in Ireland crown off Leinster ? Ale

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:31 pm

Philip Donnellan (Lock). Borrisokane CC; Cork Constitution.

Not too many rugby players come from Borrisokane. Interesting that he plays for Cork Con as you'd think a Limerick club would be more suitable as its nearer to Borrisokane (unless he is going to go to college in Cork and not Limerick I suppose).
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:44 pm

LordDowlais - Last season we were crucified with injuries and some major retirements due to injury (Fla, Leamy & Wally). Then POC being injured so much as well as Howlett & Jones being out for most of the season. Added to that most our 2nd choice backrow got injured (Ronan & Couglan), but will be back next season. Our young backrowers are still very green.

I'm look forward to getting a new coach (Rob Penney) and welcoming some decent additions to the squad - Casey Laulala, James Downey & CJ Stander from SA. Throw in that a young Munster player got short listed for Young Inter. Player of the Year, I'm very much looking forward to Munster rebuilding to be a force to be reckoned with over the next 3-5 years.

It doesn't hurt seeing Leinster dominate Europe - it would be far worse I think if we'd never done it - its like we've been there, done that, hit rock bottom and the only way is up from here on in.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:11 pm

Sin é wrote:LordDowlais - Last season we were crucified with injuries and some major retirements due to injury (Fla, Leamy & Wally). Then POC being injured so much as well as Howlett & Jones being out for most of the season. Added to that most our 2nd choice backrow got injured (Ronan & Couglan), but will be back next season. Our young backrowers are still very green.

I'm look forward to getting a new coach (Rob Penney) and welcoming some decent additions to the squad - Casey Laulala, James Downey & CJ Stander from SA. Throw in that a young Munster player got short listed for Young Inter. Player of the Year, I'm very much looking forward to Munster rebuilding to be a force to be reckoned with over the next 3-5 years.

It doesn't hurt seeing Leinster dominate Europe - it would be far worse I think if we'd never done it - its like we've been there, done that, hit rock bottom and the only way is up from here on in.

Fair play to you. thumbsup

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:40 am

profitius wrote:

Anyone in mind, Thomond?

Yeah good to see a Waterford player make it. A few posters who have seen him play have been really impress with O'Donoghue.

I won't say much but he has been involved in the Munster youth setup for a few years. Was offered a scholarship to CBC along with 2 other Highfield lads. The other 2 turned it down, not sure about him yet.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:06 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:

Big physical 6/8 who is quite big already. A very physical ball carrier, decent at the breakdown and tackle area. I've only seen him once or twice, Waterpark aren't in Cork that often.

I kno a fella who is opting to leave the Munster underage setup as well. Don't know if he would make it but still a bit sad

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Alfonso Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:25 pm

Munster 2012/2013 Squad. (47)

Props: BJ Botha, D Kilcoyne, J Ryan, S Archer, M Horan, W du Preez, C Condon, A Cotter.

Hookers: D Varley, M Sherry, S Henry,

Locks: D Ryan, P O'Connell, D O'Callaghan, I Nagle, D Foley,

Back row: P Butler, S Dougall, B Holland, P O'Mahony, N Ronan, J Coughlan, T O'Donnell, Dave O'Callaghan, B O'Mahony.

Half backs: P Stringer, C Murray, D Williams, C Sheridan, R O'Gara, I Keatley,

Centre/Wing: C Lualala, J Downey, D Barnes, S Deasy, JJ Hanrahan, T Smith, I Dineen, K Earls, S Deasy, D Howlett, S Zebo, J Murphy.

Full-backs: F Jones, D Hurley, S Scanlon, L O'Dea.

Plus Stander makes 48. Are any of those development contracts? Is that squad the same size as last season?

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:46 pm

interesting that JJ Hanrahan is down as a centre

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:53 pm

Yeah is that off the website or did you compose that list yourself Don?

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Alfonso Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:07 am

Off another website, but it was cut and pasted from the Munster website, I think.

Given that Leamy, Fla and Wallace were on central contracts, will Munster's wage bill have gone up, albeit individually their replacements' salaries won't break the bank?

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:15 am

It may have gone up a little but we also offloaded Tomas O'Leary, Will Chambers/Save Tokula and Lifeimi Mafi which I imagined paved the way for James Downey, Casey Laulala and CJ Stander.

Our other "signings" Condon and Barry O'Mahony are mature AIL players who have done well enough to earn professional places. Here is hoping they can be the next James Coughlans.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:14 pm

Worth mentioning is the 5 week residential camp for elite underage players that is gong on at the moment in preparation for various underage interpros in September (3 squads of 26 players).

explained here:
http://www.munsterrugby.ie/matchdaytv/?play=media&id=12328

They have brought in Jerry flannery & Denis Leamy to coach specific positions.

http://www.munsterrugby.ie/domestic/news/10616.php
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:51 pm

Looking forward to seeing how O'Mahony develops, looked sublime when I saw him last season.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:09 pm

Munster selection for Bristol this friday.

Munster: D Hurley; D Howlett capt, C Laulala, J Downey, L O'Dea; I Keatley, D Williams; D Kilcoyne, D Varley, S Archer; B Holland, D Foley; T O'Donnell, S Dougall, P Butler.

Replacements: W du Preez, M Horan, BJ Botha, S Henry, D Casey, B Hayes, P Donnellan, Dave O'Callaghan, B O'Mahony, P Stringer, S Deasy, D Barnes, J Murphy, S Scanlon.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:10 pm

Penney has spoken a bit lately about playing more heads up rugby and getting away from the overly structured play of the past. That might take a while to implement because the players need to learn new habits.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:18 pm

Munster beat Bristol 27 - 9. Good second half but they were 3 - 9 down at half time.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:20 pm

Who were the try scorers?

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:26 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:Who were the try scorers?

Kilcoyne, Duncan Williams and Scanlon.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:30 pm

Thanks, I'm not really familiar with any of those guys though. Good game?

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:38 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:Thanks, I'm not really familiar with any of those guys though. Good game?
Kilcoyne is a very promising young LH

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:19 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:Thanks, I'm not really familiar with any of those guys though. Good game?

I didn't see it. Reading munsterfans, Munster were poor in the first half but stepped it up in the second. DOC2 came on at half time and impressed.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:59 pm

Munster lost 10 - 34 to London Irish tonight. Apparently Munster were very poor.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:00 am

Sloppy from the sounds of things, I don't think many teams play well and lose by 24 points, concerning but there will be an initial dodgy patch like Leisnter with Schmidt. Expect ours to last longer though.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by valjester Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:00 am

Thomond wrote:Sloppy from the sounds of things, I don't think many teams play well and lose by 24 points, concerning but there will be an initial dodgy patch like Leisnter with Schmidt. Expect ours to last longer though.

From what I've heard about the match, Williams and Keatley were atrocious. If you have no control at halfback, then it is very hard to impose a game plan on the match. If you can't sort out your halfbacks, it doesn't matter how well the forwards play, you're going to go nowhere.

valjester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:52 am

Penney interview in Irish Times today. He really is different to our last two coaches in that he says a lot when interviewed!

GERRY THORNLEY gets an insight into what makes Munster’s new head coach tick as he begins the challenge of returning his charges to the glory days

In the desire to see indigenous coaches make more of an impact, there was merit in wanting Anthony Foley to assume the role of Munster head coach in succession to Tony McGahan. Instead, the appointment of Rob Penney, along with Mark Anscombe at Ulster, means three of the Irish provinces are being coached by Kiwis.

However, bearing in mind the huge impact Joe Schmidt has had at Leinster (the groundwork having been laid by Michael Cheika), not having been a head coach of a Super 15 franchise doesn’t necessarily prevent an Irish province from striking gold when digging a little deeper.

Like Cheika and Schmidt, Penney may not be especially high-profile outside his native land, but like Schmidt especially he’s relatively experienced nonetheless, having been assistant coach with both the Crusaders’ Super 12-winning team of 2005 as well as three years as assistant coach and six years as head coach of the Canterbury provincial side. That culminated in four successive ITM Cups, or provincial titles, before this summer’s IRB Junior World Championships with the New Zealand under-20 side.

Ask around about Penney in New Zealand during Ireland’s tour in June and it’s clear that he is held in very high esteem. He has a reputation for being a very well-planned and organised coach, particularly adept at developing players, and ultra-positive in outlook. Attempts to invoke positive thoughts and goals from players at Munster team meetings were initially met with embarrassed silence but, encouraged by Penney’s patience, the players have begun to speak up.

Spend some time in his company and his positive outlook is infectious. Genuine and passionate, he comes to Munster an ambitious and hungry coach. “I do have high expectations of myself,” he admits. “Coming through Canterbury the expectations are high and that fits with me. I am driven, but my driver is seeing young blokes achieve their aims, when a young guy goes from here to here as a player; achieves something that they may not have thought was possible. Gets the green Irish jersey; makes the British and Irish Lions. That is what really dives me.

“Organisationally I’m employed to do a job for Munster obviously and the expectations and the passion that go with that are palpable, which I love. That’s just part of who I am and I really enjoy that side of it. It spins my wheels and it makes me aspire to be a better coach all the time. I don’t know it all and I’m not satisfied with where I am as a coach. I’m still trying to learn and grow and develop, so I’m excited about the opportunity here and learning to coach in a new competition. Hopefully I can add something and it can add something to me,” he says, with almost disarming candour.

He admits he would have loved to coach one of New Zealand’s Super franchises but is philosophical about that and hugely grateful for the opportunity to “hopefully create something that Munster people will be really proud of”. Penney is equally philosophical about a distinguished playing career that saw him play a century of games and captain his native Canterbury, without ever playing for New Zealand despite a few All Blacks’ trials, primarily because his career coincided with first Wayne Shelford and then Zinzan Brooke as well as backrowers such as Alan Whetton.

“I had a lot of satisfaction. I wasn’t the most gifted individual and I suppose I’ve got a bit of a blue-collar attitude to life. I don’t mind at all mucking in and getting my hands dirty, and that’s sort of the way I played. And I played in some great eras. Probably the All Black team of that time was the best in history.”

Of his 100-plus games for Canterbury, he recalls a 1994 tour to the UK where they came through nine games in 21 days unbeaten. “The amateur days had some special components to them; relationships were built and life-long friendships. I’m not saying the professional doesn’t but it’s just slightly different.”

The game has changed, he concedes: “There’s a great quote: ‘People don’t care how much you know until they know how much you care’. And I think there was a transition when the game went pro, that you had to become a machine, but it’s still a game for kids, a game that if you don’t love it, you shouldn’t be playing it, because it’s tough, it’s f**king tough. And that’s one of the things I used to love about it, I used to love the physical nature of the game, smashing people and getting smashed.

“Because it goes pro that doesn’t change, and your ability to manage your players to maximise their output, to help their growth and development in a game where they’re going through the equivalent of a small car crash every weekend, is challenging. But if they know you care about them, and they know you generally want their growth and development, I think the benefits and the spin-offs in terms of your relationship are far greater. They’re professional athletes but they still have some of the same vulnerabilities about their self-belief and abilities, and just because you get a pay check doesn’t change that. It’s still a game and you’ve still got to love it.”

Ask him who the biggest influences have been on his career and he says it was more the players he’s coached than the coaches who coached him, although he also describes one of his former coaches Wayne Smith, assistant coach to the All Blacks’ World Cup winners who has since guided the Chiefs to their first Super title, as outstanding.

“He is one of the greatest coaches – he probably won’t be fully appreciated how good he was until he’s finished. And I worked with Ozzie McClane and then I worked with Tabai Matson who’s a young, developing coach but exceptional quality. I’ve been fortunate to work with a lot of good rugby brains.”

If, in rugby terms, Munster were twinned with any New Zealand province/Super franchise, it would assuredly be Canterbury – and vice versa. That cultural fit sits well with Penney. “In both Canterbury and Munster there is a blue-ish tinge to the collar, and the Munster people keep telling me they’ve got chips on their shoulders and they like it that way. If I came in to work in a polka-dot tie and a pink shirt that’s probably not Munster, and if I was coming into an organisation that had that philosophy it probably would be difficult for me to transition. As I said, I’m a blue-collar worker.”

This manifests itself in a desire to be a hands-on, training-ground coach in a tracksuit more than a director of rugby, per se, in a suit. This is more what Munster need anyway. Very much the driving force in Irish rugby at the turn of the millennium, Munster are not the force of old and while Penney may well benefit from some of the transitional work undertaken by Tony McGahan, there’s little doubt they’re still going through their most difficult transitional phase of the professional era. The main caveat to all this is that, being Munster, they’re not allowed go through a transitional phase. Hence, despite reaching the knock-out stages of both the Heineken Cup and the Pro12, last season was generally regarded as a failure. Again though, being a Kiwi from Canterbury has readied him.

“That expectation sparks me up. It doesn’t intimidate me. It fuels the fire. The team has gone through massive transition. A lot of world-class players, a lot of intellectual property moved away from the playing staff and you can’t replace that overnight. All I want this group to do without adding more pressure than we’ve got, is to play as well as they can and represent the jersey with the pride and passion that those gentlemen who left did. And if we do that then we’ll be on the right track, and let’s see if we can grow together. But the expectations of the public need to be appeased as well, and that’s by performance.” The challenge of, like most Kiwis, uprooting home, won’t faze him. Before launching his career with Canterbury, as a 21-year-old he spent a year with Lyon, in 1984-1985, who were then in the ProD2. “It was a long time ago. It was total immersion and there was no internet. It took up to 12 days to get from New Zealand to France and vice versa, so it was a rude awakening for a young Kiwi boy. It was a great experience though.”

He also played for a year with Treviso.

This latest venture has meant uprooting home with Erin and their three sons. “Her grandfather was born in Derry, so she has an Irish connection, and we have three sons. Josh (20) is doing an apprenticeship in New Zealand, while Alex (16) and Cameron (14) are attending Christian Brothers on Monday,” he smiles with evident pride.

Coaching is not exactly replete with security, and wouldn’t be possible without an understanding family. “It’s a lifestyle, it’s not a job. You’ve got to put your heart and soul into it and be totally committed, and my family is amazing. My wife has been with me well before I started. We met when we were 15 and we’ve sort of been together ever since. She’s been through my playing career and coaching stints, and the rollercoaster that represents. And for the boys to uproot themselves at their age and come into a foreign environment, I just admire their courage so much.”

He hopes it will be a great experience for them also, that it will help set them on a pathway for life. He is sure that will be the case for himself. “It will be. I’ll make it successful. Obviously we’ll be trying to achieve things, but success is measurable in a number of different ways. And I already know that this is going to be successful.”

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2012/0825/1224322964747.html
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:58 am

Bit of a laugh here!

https://youtu.be/UbyoQyV5Cv8
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:06 pm

HEC squad named

Heineken Cup 2012/2013 Squad
28 September 2012, 11:32 am
By The Editor

While the tried and trusted are all included, there's a very youthful look to the Munster Heineken Cup squad announced today with 17 of the 38 under 25 years of age.

The squad includes seven players who will be experiencing Heineken Cup fare for the first time and three Casey Laulala, James Downey and Sean Dougal experiencing it for the first time in Munster colours.It also includes Academy hooker Duncan Casey and JJ Hanrahan who only made his senior debut last weekend as a second half replacement for Ronan O'Gara in the win over Newport Gwent Dragons at Thomond Park Stadium.

Notable absentees are Ian Nagle who is recovering from a shoulder injury, Scott Deasy and CJ Stander, the South African who is set to join Munster at the conclusion of the Currie Cup. Stander is not available for the opening two rounds of the competition but along with a second player can be added at a later stage.

Munster Heineken Cup Squad: Denis Hurley, Felix Jones, Doug Howlett, Danny Barnes, Luke O'Dea, JJ Hanrahan, Johne Murphy, Simon Zebo, Casey Laulala, James Downey, Keith Earls, Duncan Williams, Peter Stringer, Conor Murray, Ian Keatley, Ronan O'Gara.

Marcus Horan, Wian du Preez, BJ Botha, John Ryan, Stephen Archer, Duncan Casey, Sean Henry, Damien Varley,Mike Sherry, Dave Kilcoyne, Donnnacha Ryan, Dave O'Callaghan, Donncha O'Callaghan, Paul O'Connell, Dave Foley, Billy Holland, Niall Ronan, Peter O'Mahony, Sean Dougall, Tommy O'Donnell, Paddy Butler, James Coughlan.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:09 pm

For me the biggest call is the inclusion of JJ Hanrahan over Scott Deasy.

Nagles ommission is understandable due to his injury.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:28 pm

red_stag wrote:For me the biggest call is the inclusion of JJ Hanrahan over Scott Deasy.

Yeah JJ has moved ahead of him in the pecking order after Penney watched the A game against Ulster A a few weeks back. The game changed when JJ moved to 10.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:38 pm

Im glad to see it. Scott has a future in the game but he aint as good as JJ. A choice had to be made and it was the right one.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:52 pm

It is nice to see some development at work. A few years ago I never though I could see things working out the way they are now. Patting yourself on the back is not exactly real congrats but below is a 30 man squad that I think could/would do really well for a RaboDirect match at some stage in the season. All of them Irish and certainly a decent side.

01 Dave Kilcoyne
02 Mike Sherry
03 Stephen Archer
04 Donncha Ryan
05 Paul O'Connell
06 Dave O'Callaghan
07 Sean Dougall
08 Peter O'Mahony
09 Conor Murray
10 JJ Hanrahan
11 Simon Zebo
12 James Downey
13 Keith Earls
14 Luke O'Dea
15 Ian Keatley

16 Damien Varley
17 John Ryan
18 Alan Cotter
19 Billy Holland
20 Paddy Butler
21 Duncan Williams
22 Ronan O'Gara
23 Denis Hurley

R Sean Henry
R Alan Cotter
R Dave Foley
R Tommy O'Donnell
R Cathal Sheridan
R Scott Deasy
R Johne Murphy
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:40 pm

O'Gara = USA Wink

Ok, ok...only being affectedly pedantic. Carry on.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:10 pm

SecretFly wrote:O'Gara = USA Wink

Ok, ok...only being affectedly pedantic. Carry on.

Dougall is Scottish and O'Dea is English Wink
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:26 am

Interview with Alan Cotter.

http://www.limerickleader.ie/sport/rugby/cotter-goes-from-young-munster-to-london-irish-and-back-again-1-4405438

Rob Penney interview on 'off the ball'.

http://www.joe.ie/rugby/heineken-cup/audio-have-a-listen-to-rob-penneys-incredibly-passionate-off-the-ball-interview-last-night-0029701-1

In more news Downey will miss the Zebre match with a broken hand and JJ Hanrahan is set to start his first game for Munster.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:04 pm

http://www.munsterrugby.ie/news/11050.php

Latest squad news. CJ Stander is about to arrive while Troy Smith has returned to his native New Zealand.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:42 pm

http://www.munsterrugby.ie/news/11336.php

Nine Contract Extensions Agreed.

3 January 2013, 12:50 pmBy The Editor
Eight Munster players - including three current Development contracted, 20 year old JJ Hanrahan and 22 year olds Dave O'Callaghan and Luke O'Dea - have signed new contracts that keeps them with Munster until the end of the 2014/2015 season.
Number 8 James Coughlan who won his 100th cap against Saracens at Vicarage Road, hooker Mike Sherry, lock Dave Foley and back row Paddy Butler are the others who have committed their immediate future to Munster while Sean Dougall, in his first season with Munster, has also agreed a two year extension.
And a ninth, 22 year old Simon Zebo, has penned a three year deal that sees him remain until at least the end of season 2015/2016.

The news was announced today at the close of Munster's training session in UL by Rob Penney who said. " I think it gives the organisation real security going forward having that number re-committing to the group. Its a real positive sign that the lads believe in what's happening here and can see a future here for themselves.

"And I think for the Munster supporters and everyone that has an attachment to Munster they can be really rapt that the playing future is being secured for the short to medium and in some cases even a long term. So yes it's wonderful news."

--------------------------

No sign of Ian Nagle.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:25 am

Gerry Thornley is reporting that Andrew Conway is in talks with Munster. He has the record or joint record for most tries scored in the JWC.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:21 am

Is Howlett off at the end of the season then?

When he played schools rugby I really thought this guy was going to be huge, he has been very disappointing in his pro career thus far. So if he can unlock a shred of his potential then it will be a good deal.

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:34 am

Golden wrote:Is Howlett off at the end of the season then?

When he played schools rugby I really thought this guy was going to be huge, he has been very disappointing in his pro career thus far. So if he can unlock a shred of his potential then it will be a good deal.

Howlett has lost his top end pace and is really slowing down now. It wouldn't surprise me to see him go but they might keep him on next season because theres a shortage of experienced players in Munster now.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:42 am

I think we'd be ok if he went. We'd feel the pinch on the pitch but we'd save a lot of money off the pitch if Botha and Howlett left.

We have money worries.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by debaters1 Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:55 pm

I thought Dougie had sigend a one year extention? IE that May 2013 he was retiring?! Could be wrong of course!

With Archer signing that 2 year deal, it looks as if Botha could be on his way. He has had an impact with our current crop of props and certainly is what I'd describe as disappointing, but he hasn't been as successful as I'd have hoped. But until now anyway, worth the cash.

debaters1

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:38 pm

Its official. Conway has signed a 2 year contract with Munster starting next season.

Great bit of business! thumbsup
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:41 pm

Give us JJ. He needs gametime.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueMuff Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:30 pm

Penny developing a talented young squad. I love the direction we are heading