The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Scramble for Position: Who is the Next Star?

+5
Mind the windows Tino.
UpandUnder
paperbag_puncher
Sugar Floyd Louis
davidemore
9 posters

Go down

A Scramble for Position: Who is the Next Star? Empty A Scramble for Position: Who is the Next Star?

Post by davidemore Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:16 am

It's interesting isn't it. What is Davidemore? Well, how the top two earners in sport are boxers.

I mean it is pretty much accepted by the majority of posters that boxing has been in a form of decline over the last few years. Yet, here they be, Pac and Mayweather, sitting very pretty by some millions at the top of the earners list.

The reason i mention this is because it seems that the decline of the sport started with these two fighters not wanting to fight each other (that and a poor heavyweight division), and ironically enough it is these two fighters that earn more money than anyone else in sport.

What does this mean?

Well, a few things, IMO.

1. It means that boxing is still a draw. Because if these two are making that kind of money then there has to be substantial profits available for anyone directly involved in the fight game. You know who is involved in boxing so i wont bore you with the usual names.

2. Arguably it means that the sport is as relevant now as it has ever been. Money talks, right?

3. This earning statistic also highlights why GBP and Top Rank are scrambling so hard for position. They want the next two top earners ready for when these two current kings retire. But answer me this in relation to Khan, Canelo and Chavez Jr (the one's that the promoters seem to want to shine): was it the fans that made them famous, or the hyped fame that gave them the fans?

HBO 24/7, HBO commentary, hype sandwiches from ODLH and Arum, the selling of a name, the association to a great tradition (Mexican fighters, big fight dates and so on), the usual push of emerging greatness by promoters...

Wheels keep on turning.

There are other questions that i wish to ask but I'll keep it short. Still, i can't help but feel that this current scramble for position is solely being done to try and make the next star of the sport known before the two current kings get out of the ring. I get it, promoters need a transition like any other business, but do these fighters they hype even have star quality? What makes star quality? We'll find out in time, i guess.

I just hope that while we wait for the new star to be either born or established, we don't forget about the many great fighters that have achieved so much in the last few years. Carl Froch would be an obvious example. As would Devon Alexander. Okay, he lost to Lucas and got a gift, but the man will fight anyone, i respect that. There are many great fighters out there,and they shouldn't be over-sighted because of this need to find a star. They could be the next star.

Adrien Broner is the next star for me. He'll move through the weights collecting belts, he'll dazzle in the ring and annoy us on Twitter. He'll be controversial whilst not forgetting to thank god, he'll fight top fighters and comb his hair once he's done... oh, and he is American. Canelo might be what GBP want, Donaire or Chavez Jr what Top Rank want, but they lack personality, and Canelo and Chavez Jr don't speak strong English.

Carl Froch. He is becoming a Ricky Hatton type fighter to the fans, IMO. A die hard rough diamond fighter who wants everyone. If he wins his next couple of big fights could he be Europe's new star of the sport?

Best,

D

Last edited by davidemore on Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:47 am; edited 2 times in total

davidemore

Back to top Go down

A Scramble for Position: Who is the Next Star? Empty Re: A Scramble for Position: Who is the Next Star?

Post by Sugar Floyd Louis Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:35 am

Broner for me too, I hope Ward can be too but he doesn't have much personality.

Sugar Floyd Louis

Back to top Go down

A Scramble for Position: Who is the Next Star? Empty Re: A Scramble for Position: Who is the Next Star?

Post by davidemore Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:40 am

So true Sugar, and it is personality that dazzles the American audience. He is getting better though, a little more vocal and outspoken, needs to just gob off a bit and be funnier. Still, i respect he keeps it real.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Floyd Louis Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:23 am

Don't you find the Son.Of.God thing abit cringe? I respect religious people and understand Christians see themselves as children of God but he could've came up with a better name.

Sugar Floyd Louis

Back to top Go down

Post by paperbag_puncher Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:24 am

Sugar Floyd Louis wrote:Don't you find the Son.Of.God thing abit cringe? I respect religious people and understand Christians see themselves as children of God but he could've came up with a better name.

Its the worst nickname ever. Don't Christians believe that we are all sons of god so basically he is saying he is just the same as everyone else? Way to sell yourself there Andre..

paperbag_puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:36 am

Pretty bad nickname.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by UpandUnder Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:48 am

Yeah broner looks like the next big think to me too, huge at the weight so can easily see him move through the weights dominating, and he will sell in america thats for sure.

You can really see promoters an TV clutching at straws for a star, bigging up good fighters to be great eg. rios/khan/ortiz/bradley.

Its dissapointing for me that Froch is on the tail end of his career and just becoming a star....all those wasted years with big Mick H, I'm hoping Kell Brook becomes the next big UK star he has the style but is a little devoid of personality outsie the ring, still all he needs to do is grab a belt and fight khan and the winner would become huge over here.

UpandUnder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:57 am

paperbag_puncher wrote:
Its the worst nickname ever. Don't Christians believe that we are all sons of god so basically he is saying he is just the same as everyone else? Way to sell yourself there Andre..

Aye, stupid nickname, and makes me want to vomit, but cracking fighter and all round clever guy by some reports. It used to wind me up when Holyfield rattled on about God telling him he would knock Lewis out in the 3rd round of their first fight and it looked like it took him a couple of rounds (Eugenia Williams notwithstanding) to get back in the fight, almost as if he couldn't actually believe that God had let him down. In the right circumstances that level of conviction is admirable, regardless of whether you have 'religious' faith, but not in a boxing ring, surely? As Lewis pointed out prior to the fight, perhaps God might just have been a Lennox fan as well.

As the OP, I think Ward is very classy, and very astute with his earnings which makes a nice change, but I think Broner has the potential to be the next big star. He has all the skills, but also has the 'attitude' to get people watching, even if it is only to see him get beaten. He has that Hamed-like arrogance, but can back it up by being a nasty so and so in the ring, and people love that. Personally, I think he is a t!t, but I can see how he gets fans excited.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:07 am

Excellent description of Broner. The kid has talent with attitude. Hope he continues making a jacka$$ of himself (he thinks he's funny) and gets more fan interest.

Ward? Great boxer.........and humble. Ergo no-one will ever know him outside of his immediate family and hardcore boxing fans. He should call himself SOS - son of satan. Yanks will flock to see him crucified.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by KingMonkey Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:18 am

Broner all day long. I can't wait to see him fight again. Ward might be one for the purist in that his speed and technique is second to none but let's face it, this is an entertainment business and Broner has the complete package. If he can stay unbeaten for a while yet he'll be a star in the same way Floyd is. Hopefully he'll lose a couple and get shot of the ridiculous 'O complex' that boxing desperately needs shot of but he's in a good weight class, can step up easily too. Bring it on!

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:20 am

Goood stuff as always bro. thumbsup

The top 2 and the Klitschkos earn fantastic money but after that the rest earn very average money for top class sportsmen.

Broner for me as well. He has the skills and the swagger. He has a TV friendly style as well. I like Mares and think he could be a big star but he doesn't have the attitude of Broner.

You need to get a reaction from people it's no good saying I'm a great boxer watch me. That don't sell you need to make people love you or hate you.

Look at Floyd people hate his flashiness and perceived arrogance (personally I think that is just unbreakable self belief) but it makes people buy his fights whether you want him to win or lose you still pay the same PPV fee.

Pernell Whitaker never drew a reaction good or bad out of people like Floyd did. He still made good money but not the amount that would have been a fair reflection of his skills.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by KingMonkey Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:29 am

I don't mind admitting that got a LOL here at KingMonkey towers.

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by UpandUnder Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:37 am

Haha

UpandUnder

Back to top Go down

Post by KingMonkey Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:40 am

So back on topic, Broner is the stand out candidate but who could challenge him? Especially in and around his weight class. Rios?

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:51 am

Hmm, possibly Lucas could follow him, although the odds are against him. But man can he bang, and in my mind, is an undefeated fighter.

It's tough, i kind of look to America as it seems to be where the stars come from. There or Mexico. Very tough to see a star outside of Broner. Froch would be it but he might not have more than two big fights left, then a deserved retirement. With his faculties in tact.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by KingMonkey Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:54 am

There are no obvious UK fighters right now that scream 'superstar' to me and those that had the potential are too inactive (cheers Frank) and treading water at best.

Froch is currently our best, massive in the States and after the Bute win has gained the credit he deserves here too. But, as you say, it'll only be a handful more for him then he gets out.

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:59 am

Great points King Monkey. I think Bellew could sell a lot of tickets and has loads to say, but the guy has barely fought recently.

Plus there's Mitchell, a real talent, a real smart boxer, can't stay sober long enough to get big fights on a regular basis. Apparently he has visa issues with the states?

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by KingMonkey Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:11 pm

I'm not sure Mitchell's boozy reputation is as warranted as people think, not now anyway but his visa issues are real enough and have certainly held him back. Hopefully the fight with Burns and the time involved will sort all that out, its a great match up.

Bellew is well liked here and will sell tickets but if we're honest, he probably isn't good enough to kick on far enough to warrant 'superstar' status. Groves, Degale.... ?

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:36 pm

Good pints Monkey.

I think skill wise Brook could kick on, and Hearn is ambitious with his fighters so that's good. The thing is, he's a bit of a home boy, and a bit boring. Needs to go to America again, and before a title is on the line so he isn't overwhelmed. Has all the talent though.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:17 pm

Lucas has a decent shot, look at how well the states took a liking to Maidana. If you have a fan friendly stke you will always get fights and will get a lot of public attention

That's why I think both Canelo and Chave swill be racking in the big bucks but will have a couple of loses along the road. Both have entertaining styles, huge fanbases and are developing into good boxers. Canelo was suppose to go PPV which would be a huge accomplishment for someone of his age

Broner is an obvious choose purely looking at how similar he is to floyd and how well floyd has done money wise. The kid does what floyd used to do at super feather and lightweight if you can remember him, he was a power puncher and used to knock most of his opponents out at the weight. Broner has the build, size, speed and power to move up like floyd but needs an acid test like floyd got with Castillo and that could be made with salido

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:37 pm

Glad to see that eventually you're all coming to my way of thinking as what is best for boxers. Ricky Burns or Broner? Being humble is boring and bad for the sport. Being a loud mouth oaf with great boxing skils is what our beloved sport needs.

I feel your love peeps (in a non pooftah way).

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down