The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How did Rosol beat Nadal and what can others learn from this match?

+13
CAS
paulcz
Super D Boon
Guest82
socal1976
Seifer Almasy
Josiah Maiestas
reckoner
lydian
luciusmann
Chazfazzer
invisiblecoolers
bogbrush
17 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

How did Rosol beat Nadal and what can others learn from this match? - Page 2 Empty How did Rosol beat Nadal and what can others learn from this match?

Post by Guest Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:21 pm

First topic message reminder :

Lukas Rosol, ranked 100 in the world, defeats Rafael Nadal in five sets on Centre Court in the second round at Wimbledon. Rosol turns 27 in July and has been around at Challenger level for some time having only won 18 matches (Singles) on the ATP tour in his whole career. Although he beat Nadal in five sets, he nearly did it in straight sets losing the first set to an 11-9 tie-breaker.

The question is how did he beat Nadal and what can others learn from this result?

Tim Henman offered the suggestion that nobody could have lived with Rosol today - that it didn't matter who was on the other side of the net:

Tim Henman wrote: "It was a freak performance. It's amazing we don't know more about Rosol. It's not as if Nadal lost the match. Rosol came out and hit winner after winner. I think he hit 20 aces."

Henman said Rosol was playing error free tennis, hitting the ball hard and flat - high risk tennis except everything went in. This type of flat hitting causes the ball to whiz through the court and didn't seem to give Nadal time to reach the ball and set himself up for his lower risk top spin shots.

Some Stats
Height: 6' 5" (196 cm)
Weight: 178 lbs (81 kg)
Turned Pro: 2004
Career Record on the Tour: 18 wins and 32 losses
Career Earnings (singles & doubles combined): $879,777

ATP Page for 2012: http://www.atpworldtour.com/Tennis/Players/Top-Players/Lukas-Rosol.aspx?t=rb
Match Record for 2012: http://www.atpworldtour.com/Tennis/Players/Top-Players/Lukas-Rosol.aspx?t=mr
Match Record for career: http://www.atpworldtour.com/Tennis/Players/Top-Players/Lukas-Rosol.aspx?t=mr

Supplementary Question: It seems that Nadal was complaining about Rosol moving as he (Nadal) was about to serve. Rosol said he was just doing his normal thing in preparation for receiving the ball. Does anyone have any further details on Nadal's complaint?

Last edited by Nore Staat on Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:51 pm; edited 7 times in total

Back to top Go down

How did Rosol beat Nadal and what can others learn from this match? - Page 2 Empty Re: How did Rosol beat Nadal and what can others learn from this match?

Post by CAS Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:02 am

Yeah I didn't think so, Murray really should reach the final now but with Federer or Djokovic likely in the final its hardly going to be easy, I think Murray would rather play Novak if he were to have a choice but lets cross that bridge when we come to it!

CAS

Back to top Go down

How did Rosol beat Nadal and what can others learn from this match? - Page 2 Empty Re: How did Rosol beat Nadal and what can others learn from this match?

Post by Josiah Maiestas Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:04 am

Nadal receives the same prizemoney as Anne Keothavong.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:08 am

Good research their Josiah thumbsup

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by luciusmann Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:12 am

Josiah Maiestas wrote:Nadal receives the same prizemoney as Anne Keothavong.

Given Nadal is a multi-millionaire, I seriously doubt that:

a) He plays for the money any longer
b) Particularly cares for the prize money

Sure it's good to have more money but unless he's greedy for every penny, will he care that much? The loss will hurt more than the money he loses.

luciusmann

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:15 am

Spot on Lucius.

Good to see some Federer fans such as yourself analysing this match in an unbiased way clap

But I see posts like Seifer's today, notice the action (or lack of it!) from the mods and I think do I really want to post on forum. Really?

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by Seifer Almasy Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:16 am

It Must Be Love wrote:Spot on Lucius.

Good to see some Federer fans such as yourself analysing this match in an unbiased way clap

But I see posts like Seifer's today, notice the action (or lack of it!) from the mods and I think do I really want to post on forum. Really?

Can give it but can't take it eh Wink I am loving it that your beloved cheat is out. I am sorry you have to yet again mention me in person, but go cry to Nadal. Hahahahah! Nadal! OUT!

Seifer Almasy

Back to top Go down

Post by luciusmann Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:24 am

It Must Be Love wrote:Spot on Lucius.

You're a good poster, it would be a shame if you left because some outlandish posters want to rub it in for their own personal reasons.

Best way to respond is how Nadal responds: his career isn't over and it was one match loss, yes a shocking one but I'm sure Nadal will work on a number of areas, perhaps keeping focus on his serve more? I'm not sure but I'm sure his team will work out something.

luciusmann

Back to top Go down

Post by redmoon Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:36 am

CAS wrote: I think I am right in saying its only the 3rd time in Rafas career he has lost a slam match after winning the first set! The 2nd time was only recently at the Aussie Open.

Twice this year already. Bad sign for Nadal.

redmoon

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:37 am

Lucius Hug

Upsets do happen, today was Rafa's turn Sad
Both Roger and Rafa have has such incredible consistency we have been spoiled.

Today I feel Rosol would have beaten anyone on current form. Federer would have probs lost in 5 like QF last year, Murray would have been overpowered (he was very poor today vs Karlovic), while Tsonga took Djokovic to 5 at FO and had MPs recently with a performance that wasn't as good as this.

But that is it, Rosol played out of his skin. Every game, around 2-3 unreturnables, return acing Nadal with frankly ridiculous accuracy. clap

As for what should people 'learn' from this? Well not much. Rosol played ridiculous tennis today, went for the lines on every shot, made it every time. He deserved to win 100%.
Still the way to beat Nadal is controlled aggression like Djokovic, if Fed tried to smash every Nadal serve for return ace on the line and serve 1st and 2nd serve aces just on the line he will probably make too many unforced errors I think.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:53 am

I think the majority of those with an interest in the sport of tennis would have seen the Rosol v Nadal match as an example of a fantastic match of tennis. Now how many fantastic matches of tennis have you seen? - well you can add one more to the list.

Sure some one loses and some one wins - but that's always the case whether the match is "rubbish" or whether the match was "fantastic". Nadal is no "mug" and he played his part - he doesn't lose easily - and it took something truly exceptional to beat him.

The only "regret" is that this fantastic match only had the "importance" of a second round match rather than a semi-final or final match.

Back to top Go down

Post by CAS Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:20 am

anyone else feel its destined to be a Tsonga vs Federer final? After last years match? I feel Tsonga will take down Murray in the semis and Federer Djokovic. Its a bit like when Rafa played Soderling in the 2010 French Open a year after 'that' defeat. Written in the stars.

CAS

Back to top Go down

Post by luciusmann Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:28 am

Would love to see slam 17 for Fed, I personally never thought it would happen again that Fed would win @ Wimbledon but first the favourable draw came and now Nadal's out and even Simon (tipped as a potential road block for Fed -a very minor one in my mind). All you need now is Djokovic going early or Fed beating him and then I can see it turning out like RG 2009.

From then on it's even strongly possible that another good draw @ the USO would give a Fed a shot at that! First the Olympics: if Fed won Wimbledon, strong chance that he could win the Olympics given it's BO3 but better still, on grass. I don't want to get carried away, but it doesn't sound so crazy to think that Fed could win 2/3 of big remaining tournaments this year. However, I will stick to seeing how Wimbledon progresses, I hope it continues to be an enthralling affair, as it thus far has been.

luciusmann

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:10 am

STepanek is a tough 3rd round match julius, I am not too confident considerning Novak is playing an old guy in the 3rd round. So far this tournanament as usual he has had very quality opponents so far and I think Stepanek will be a tough test. You will really be doing cartwheels if Novak loses, but don't hold your breathe my friend.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2