The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rugby console game

+13
neilthom7
Biltong
ScarletSpiderman
Thomond
prop_lyd
beshocked
dogtooth
tomhughesnice
Feckless Rogue
Cryptoyourisan
Fluxy
Shifty
Pot Noodle Miner
17 posters

Go down

Rugby console game Empty Rugby console game

Post by Pot Noodle Miner Sat 30 Jun 2012, 4:33 pm

Will there be a sequel to sidhes Rugby Challenge or HBs RWC games?

Both had good and bad points but there's definitely potential. i remember HB in particular saying that last years release was the 1st of the next generation of rugby games to be coming out yet i still havnt heard of any news of any sequels or of any other game makers bringing out a rugby game. anyone heard of anything?
Pot Noodle Miner
Pot Noodle Miner

Back to top Go down

Rugby console game Empty Re: Rugby console game

Post by Shifty Sun 01 Jul 2012, 9:40 am

Is there a proper rugby management game like football manager 2012?

The last i hard of was pro rugby manager.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Fluxy Sun 01 Jul 2012, 11:56 am

There is actually. I had the 2010 version and the guy that created it didn't follow it up for 2011. I coincidentally searched last night and he has developed a 2012 game. Just follow the links to download and it is yours. They are of a suprisingly good level of detail and content.

http://www.rugbyunionmanager.co.uk/Games.php

Fluxy
Aviva Premiership Commissioner

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 01 Jul 2012, 1:31 pm

That could very well be one of the worst websites I've seen in years

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sun 01 Jul 2012, 2:26 pm

Fluxy wrote:There is actually. I had the 2010 version and the guy that created it didn't follow it up for 2011. I coincidentally searched last night and he has developed a 2012 game. Just follow the links to download and it is yours. They are of a suprisingly good level of detail and content.

http://www.rugbyunionmanager.co.uk/Games.php

Thanks very much mate I'll give it a go, I hate football and am getting tired of football manager 2012 but there is no rugby game like it Sad
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Fluxy Sun 01 Jul 2012, 2:43 pm

I get sick of FM after a while. Hence why I do the rugby leagues on here.

But look past the questionable graphics etc and it should be alright.

Fluxy

Back to top Go down

Post by Cryptoyourisan Sun 01 Jul 2012, 3:35 pm

It's a shame RWC2011 and Rugby Challenge were so bad. Rugby 2006 was basically spot on.

Cryptoyourisan

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Sun 01 Jul 2012, 7:06 pm

The last one I played was EA's Rugby '08. And it was so very bad on so many levels. It stank, especially in single player, where the computer AI was awful.

But it took years of tweaking and evolution, year after year, for the soccer games to get as good as they are now. And FIFA and PES are both excellent now. FIFA in particular used to be awfu but is now one of the best sports games there isl.

You'd think they could nick some of the gameplay elements from the brilliant Madden NFL series for a rugby game. And maybe kicking could be done like the golf swing in the Tiger Woods Golf series. I want a rugby game where you can play distinctive styles of rugby and be effective. If you have a beastly pack and a good kicker you can play ten man rugby and be effective. If you're up against a brilliant lineout you have to avoid kicking for touch etc. There is a brilliant rugby game waiting to be made I feel.

Our only hope for a top quality rugby game is if there's a continuing franchise. Maybe annual releases are to much for rugby, because there's less interest. But a bi-annual franchise released for every RWC year and Lions tour year would be good. But even if they're not great games. We have to keep buying them or they'll simply stop releasing them. And we won't get to the holy grail of a top class rugby game.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by tomhughesnice Tue 03 Jul 2012, 5:49 pm

I dont really think we're going to see a good rugby game until another European team won the world cup. After England won the world cup there was a stream of rugby titles from EA, but that ship has sailed now.

Europe is the biggest market by far for rugby gaming, so we need a bit of success on the world stage for a new game with enough investment to make it good.

RWC 2011 was basically EA Rugby 2006 re skinned, online play added and removed all competitions except world cup. So a pretty poor effort, I would imagine this game was built on a shoestring budget.

The Rugby challenge game has the potential to be good, but I thought the gameplay was a tad dull for my liking. Everything just seemed abit too slow, and the lack of licenses didnt help.

tomhughesnice

Back to top Go down

Post by dogtooth Wed 04 Jul 2012, 10:08 am

i expect jonah lomu rugby challenge to get a reboot and a bit of a face lift before the next world cup. they will be able to pick up licences for teams and stadiums a bit more cheeply. i'd buy it.

i like the rugby challenge game. it is annoying that i have to completely update my blues squad, half the starting blues team on rugby challenge are retired, moved clubs, or have been sacked.

i spent a whole saturday morning editing my wales team, and the other 6nations team, but lack of official licences means i hardly ever play it. i get plenty of fun playing the blues in the pro12, the hec and my world series club cup.
dogtooth
dogtooth

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Wed 04 Jul 2012, 10:54 am

How did the two rugby games - RWC 2011 and rugby challenge do in regards to sales?

The problem I found with Sidhe's rugby challenge was it was too focussed on New Zealand.

As tomshughesnice says the big market is Europe yet it was not adequately treated.

Obvious addition to rugby challenge would be set plays.

Also the player and team ratings are horrific.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by tomhughesnice Wed 04 Jul 2012, 11:53 am

Yeah we need a game aimed more at the European market, maybe even to a fault. For example in all the EA Rugby games in noughties, England, Ireland, Wales and France were very strong to the point their wasnt much advantage playing as a tri nations team. I think overall England were the strongest team as they contained both Wilko and Jason Robinson who were the best players in the game. Shane Williams and O'Driscoll also abit ridiculous.

As beshocked has mentioned, the Sidhe rugby challenge game is too focused on NZ and AUS. Every other nations teams were rubbish in comparison, so you've pretty much marginalised most of the rugby game playing market.

tomhughesnice

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Fri 06 Jul 2012, 12:31 pm

tomhughesnice wrote:Yeah we need a game aimed more at the European market, maybe even to a fault. For example in all the EA Rugby games in noughties, England, Ireland, Wales and France were very strong to the point their wasnt much advantage playing as a tri nations team. I think overall England were the strongest team as they contained both Wilko and Jason Robinson who were the best players in the game. Shane Williams and O'Driscoll also abit ridiculous.

As beshocked has mentioned, the Sidhe rugby challenge game is too focused on NZ and AUS. Every other nations teams were rubbish in comparison, so you've pretty much marginalised most of the rugby game playing market.

I am sure Sidhe could employ quite a few of us to their European marketing team! We'll make sure the ratings etc and aspects are suited to Europe.

Even in some of the sides they had licenses for they messed things up.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by prop_lyd Sun 08 Jul 2012, 10:31 am

Just trying to get this manager game and it's saying the link is now down.......any suggestions?!
prop_lyd
prop_lyd

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Tue 10 Jul 2012, 6:55 pm

Just got Rugby Challenge, but can't play it because my game controller is broken. I'll have to buy one tomorrow and get stuck into it. I just hope it's not as mind numbingly easy as Rugby 08 was.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Tue 10 Jul 2012, 6:56 pm

Rugby 06 and 08 were pretty much the same thing. 04 wasn't too different either, they were not great really, if yuou took some stuff from the Madden game engines you could make a really good rugby game.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri 10 Aug 2012, 2:40 pm

Lomu Challenge has just been released on the PS Vita (handheld console) so I assume that there will be no updated versions out on sale any time soon. Although it is available for download on PSN, so maybe there will be downloadable content stuff (at a cost) to bring it more up to date.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 10 Aug 2012, 3:01 pm

There's a new ps3 rugby game coming.

It's called Bryce 2011

Complete with dubious referee calls. Whistle
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Fri 10 Aug 2012, 3:29 pm

Biltong wrote:There's a new ps3 rugby game coming.

It's called Bryce 2011

Complete with dubious referee calls. Whistle

Very Happy carefull Biltong that sort of thing will get you 20mins in the bin Whistle

neilthom7

http://www.twitter.com/thomthom1988

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 10 Aug 2012, 3:39 pm

You're right, I better retract the game...err my statement. Laugh
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Fri 10 Aug 2012, 8:00 pm

All I've got is World Championship Rugby and Rugby Challenge 2006 on ps2. Both Swordfish productions and both borderline enjoyable on the best of days. The lack of reality can be amusing if anything (AI Italy trouncing AI New Zealand at the RWC). What I never got was how all the SH players seemed to be copyrighted because I haven't heard of a single one of them. That is unless Carlos Spencer's real name is Todd Martinac Erm

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Fri 10 Aug 2012, 9:41 pm

I want a game with

1. Set plays. But if you use one to often the opposition AI gets wise to it so you have to mix them up
2. Realistic & challenging set pieces. It should be harder to scrummage against Italy than Australia. You should probably avoid lineouts against South Africa if your playing with Wales etc.
3. Proper rucking. Not sure how it could be implemented. But there should be a skill to getting the right player (Pockock, McCaw) into the ruck at the right time. If you don't ruck well you can't get quick ball.
4. If you get slow ball the defence should be set and it should be much harder to attack. If you get quick ball it should be easier to find gaps.
5. Kicking should be down to your accuracy with the analogue stick like in Tiger Woods Golf. The further and harder you try and kick it the more likely you are to slice it as your accuracy is punished more severely.
6. Detailed tactical management. Rush or drift defence. Set up the team to kick and chase or throw it around.
7. Realistic player skills. Sonny Bill Williams can offload like Sonny Bill Williams. But every player shouldn't be able to. Attempting to offload with inferior players should result in mistakes. The likes of JDV or Bowe should be much better at successfully making intercepts than your average player. ROG should be terrible at tackling, and therefore can be targeted, but excellent at tactical and goal kicking.
8. Realistic stamina. Players can't sprint around the pitch for 80 minutes. They grow tired. A strong bench is a big advantage. Like real life.
9. Brute force through the forwards should be a viable option to go for victory if you have a beastly pack and inept backs.
10. Cheating. It's part of rugby. If the ref is on the loosehead side of a scrum you can get up to no good with your tighthead. With a player like McCaw you can get away with more breakdown offences. But if your caught often the ref watches you more. Would add another layer of fun.

Any other idea's?
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Fri 10 Aug 2012, 10:02 pm

Feckless Rogue wrote:I want a game with

1. Set plays. But if you use one to often the opposition AI gets wise to it so you have to mix them up
2. Realistic & challenging set pieces. It should be harder to scrummage against Italy than Australia. You should probably avoid lineouts against South Africa if your playing with Wales etc.
3. Proper rucking. Not sure how it could be implemented. But there should be a skill to getting the right player (Pockock, McCaw) into the ruck at the right time. If you don't ruck well you can't get quick ball.
4. If you get slow ball the defence should be set and it should be much harder to attack. If you get quick ball it should be easier to find gaps.
5. Kicking should be down to your accuracy with the analogue stick like in Tiger Woods Golf. The further and harder you try and kick it the more likely you are to slice it as your accuracy is punished more severely.
6. Detailed tactical management. Rush or drift defence. Set up the team to kick and chase or throw it around.
7. Realistic player skills. Sonny Bill Williams can offload like Sonny Bill Williams. But every player shouldn't be able to. Attempting to offload with inferior players should result in mistakes. The likes of JDV or Bowe should be much better at successfully making intercepts than your average player. ROG should be terrible at tackling, and therefore can be targeted, but excellent at tactical and goal kicking.
8. Realistic stamina. Players can't sprint around the pitch for 80 minutes. They grow tired. A strong bench is a big advantage. Like real life.
9. Brute force through the forwards should be a viable option to go for victory if you have a beastly pack and inept backs.
10. Cheating. It's part of rugby. If the ref is on the loosehead side of a scrum you can get up to no good with your tighthead. With a player like McCaw you can get away with more breakdown offences. But if your caught often the ref watches you more. Would add another layer of fun.

Any other idea's?

And David Wallace should be on automatic setting to be within five yards of ROG's position at all times Very Happy

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Fri 10 Aug 2012, 11:32 pm

defenders should gulp in fear when Stephen Ferris gets to full speed? the values should be realistic so often with these games the country where it is made has great values and everyone elses not as good maybe employ some rugby advisors to give realistic views on skills?

neilthom7

http://www.twitter.com/thomthom1988

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Sat 11 Aug 2012, 12:36 pm

Gavin Henson should always... and i repeat always be rated 99

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Mon 13 Aug 2012, 10:05 am

gowales wrote:Gavin Henson should always... and i repeat always be rated 99

Nah. He should be 99 one game in every 4, and 9.9 the other 3 Wink
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 14 Aug 2012, 1:31 pm

Started getting back into Rugby Challenge in a big way in the last week or so - won the Heineken Cup with Edinburgh! (Could happen!)

Anyway I really like the game but there are a few things that annoy me:

The 'mauls' are ridiculous - two players stand pushing each other on their own for about 10 seconds while everyone watches. Eventually others can join in but it is just stupid.

Quick pass to your stand off (holding both pass buttons at the same time). For some reason for the Edinburgh team it defaults to Patterson, who is playing at fullback, as opposed to the actual stand off.

Gliches - I kicked the ball out on the full and instead of the defending team having a 22 drop out, I got a drop out on the edge of their 22! Couldn't really kick it anywhere!

Offloads - everyone is SBW! I know you can change it for the computer controlled teams but I find I use it all the time to win because it is such a powerful weapon against the computer teams.

Player profiles for anyone other than tri nation teams - no more needs to be said.

Changing player stats - every time you change one player it takes you back out to the first menu and you have to scroll through all the teams again to find the players.

Would be good if there is a sequel, but don't see it coming for a while. Maybe they could put some updates on or something to update the teams? Save us having to do it all manually.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down