The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The London Welsh Spanking Thread

+30
Irish Londoner
gregortree
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
George Carlin
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
sirtidychris
HammerofThunor
BigTrevsbigmac
tooboredtowork
PJHolybloke
Bushys
Geordie
Portnoy
maestegmafia
Effervescing Elephant
gowales
Quarrybends
formerly known as Sam
ScarletSpiderman
Dubbelyew L Overate
LondonTiger
beshocked
HongKongCherry
doctor_grey
Cryptoyourisan
Cari
bedfordwelsh
sugarNspikes
mowgli
yappysnap
34 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Which Team Will Give London Welsh A Good Spanking?

The London Welsh Spanking Thread Vote_lcap8%The London Welsh Spanking Thread Vote_rcap 8% 
[ 17 ]
The London Welsh Spanking Thread Vote_lcap8%The London Welsh Spanking Thread Vote_rcap 8% 
[ 18 ]
[ 18 ]
The London Welsh Spanking Thread Vote_lcap11%The London Welsh Spanking Thread Vote_rcap 11% 
[ 24 ]
The London Welsh Spanking Thread Vote_lcap11%The London Welsh Spanking Thread Vote_rcap 11% 
[ 24 ]
[ 18 ]
The London Welsh Spanking Thread Vote_lcap7%The London Welsh Spanking Thread Vote_rcap 7% 
[ 16 ]
[ 23 ]
[ 17 ]
[ 24 ]
The London Welsh Spanking Thread Vote_lcap6%The London Welsh Spanking Thread Vote_rcap 6% 
[ 13 ]
The London Welsh Spanking Thread Vote_lcap2%The London Welsh Spanking Thread Vote_rcap 2% 
[ 4 ]

Total Votes : 216

Poll closed

The London Welsh Spanking Thread Empty The London Welsh Spanking Thread

Post by yappysnap Wed 04 Jul 2012, 5:10 pm

London Welsh are the Robin Hood of the Rugby world.

To some they're heroic anti-establishment freedom fighters, valiantly sticking up for the underdogs against the wicked RFU and it's plans to make the Premiership a sound business model. To others they're a bunch of nitpicking moaners who threw their toys out of the pram over a bunch of fairly sound rules they had fair warning about and chose to bypass on a technicality.

But none of that matters, all I want to know is who you think will be handing them their biggest spanking of the pro era.

Welcome London Welsh to the Premiership ( Best League in the World TM).

(NB this is obviously factoring in Gavin Henson not signing for them)

Last edited by yappysnap on Wed 04 Jul 2012, 8:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

The London Welsh Spanking Thread Empty Re: The London Welsh Spanking Thread

Post by yappysnap Wed 04 Jul 2012, 5:12 pm

should have put this in club...

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by mowgli Wed 04 Jul 2012, 6:29 pm

None of them if gavin is signed!!!!!!! Yahoo

mowgli

Back to top Go down

Post by sugarNspikes Wed 04 Jul 2012, 7:17 pm

mowgli wrote:None of them if gavin is signed!!!!!!! Yahoo
I'll give him this long Very Happy

Spoiler:

sugarNspikes

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 04 Jul 2012, 7:18 pm

Why is this in the International Section?
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Wed 04 Jul 2012, 7:19 pm

I think you'd be surprised Sugar. Lyn absolutely loves Gavin as a player and won't hesitate to get him on board. Recently Lyn said the only issue was the wage bill. That could change now LW have gone up. Gavin thrived under Lyn's coaching before, and if he does go to LW, I think he'd be very comfortable there.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by mowgli Wed 04 Jul 2012, 7:22 pm

Last chance saloon for him but i agree he thrived under LJ and he knows how to handle him. He also might realsie this is his last chance

Last edited by mowgli on Wed 04 Jul 2012, 7:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

mowgli

Back to top Go down

Post by sugarNspikes Wed 04 Jul 2012, 7:23 pm

Cari wrote:I think you'd be surprised Sugar. Lyn absolutely loves Gavin as a player and won't hesitate to get him on board. Recently Lyn said the only issue was the wage bill. That could change now LW have gone up. Gavin thrived under Lyn's coaching before, and if he does go to LW, I think he'd be very comfortable there.
Aye, you never know. Perhaps Lyn Jones can get the best out of him. If he can he should be re-named The Orange Whisperer.

sugarNspikes

Back to top Go down

Post by Cryptoyourisan Wed 04 Jul 2012, 7:29 pm

Whilst it's the right decision to have them promoted, they don't have their own ground and I don't think the squad is particularly strong. I would expect them to get a couple of wins but reckon they'll be straight back down.

Cryptoyourisan

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Wed 04 Jul 2012, 7:41 pm

It was Lyn Jones that nurtured Gavin really. Of course the relationship will be different now, but having Lyn as a coach might well reignite Gavin's interest in rugby.

As for how LW will do, well I don't expect much from them to start, but playing in the premiership should give them some valuable experience. They could just loiter down the bottom of the table somewhere...

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Wed 04 Jul 2012, 8:55 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:Why is this in the International Section?

It's a question of international importance...

I didn't just post it in the wrong section

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Wed 04 Jul 2012, 9:26 pm

Seeing the schedule for the new season today, it must be someone's idea of fun to have Oxford Welsh open with Leicester.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Wed 04 Jul 2012, 11:19 pm

Having fallen foul of Exeter on their first day in the Jeff I'm not going to under estimate LW - but they won't have the ground or support that Exeter have, which definitely aid the Chiefs. Similarly, Exeter had been the 2nd best side in the Championship for a number of years until their long overdue promotion, as such they'd built a decent, hardened team. I just don't see LW having the same strength, so despite being burnt by Exeter, I'm going to go out on a limb and say LW are going to be the whipping boys of the Jeff - but they may get a home win against Glaws! Wink
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Thu 05 Jul 2012, 9:34 am

The team that probably hand out the most spankings are obviously Leicester.

On the other hand some of the other teams like my own,Sarries can be very ruthless.

The drubbing of Sale and "we want 50!" being the obvious ones recently.

Watch out London Welsh!

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu 05 Jul 2012, 9:41 am

Saturday, 6 October 2012
Saracens v London Oxford Welsh, 15:00

Saracens will be looking for a decent beformance in the last match before HC starts. Could be horrid for LW.

Last edited by LondonTiger on Thu 05 Jul 2012, 9:50 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : forgot the date)

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Thu 05 Jul 2012, 9:47 am

True LondonTiger

I think the biggest spanking will either be Leicester or Sarries.

Two of the more ruthless sides.

Leicester Tigers to welcome London Welsh to the AP with a try bonanza.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Dubbelyew L Overate Thu 05 Jul 2012, 10:15 am

Many of the Exeter squad will not have forgotten that London Welsh had the temerity to beat them twice in their promotion winning season (Chris Whitehead was playing for Welsh and I'm sure he'll remind them anyway). There's a reckoning to be had.

I'm really not sure how LW will adapt - they're even more handicapped in the late recruitment of players (by about a month) than Exe and Woos, and I fear for their forward strength.

Exe's opening win against Glaws was lucky, very lucky. If Nicky Robinson's boot had been working, we may not have got a LBP and it was clear that Exe weren't up to the speed of the Prem, particularly in multi-phase defence. Notwithstanding that, the team proved that they were competitive, regardless of result, but it was the win, I believe, that bolstered the morale of the whole squad and set up the rest of the season.
London Welsh probably won't be as lucky against Tigers and, if they get a good beating, may struggle for the whole season - the learning curve will be even steeper.

Complacency is a bit of a nebulous idea, but I believe that in many instances, there was an element of complacency in the teams playing against Exe in the early part of their first season. Teams will have to guard against that in their preparations against Welsh who will be playing cup finals every week.

Dubbelyew L Overate

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 05 Jul 2012, 10:53 am

I have a feeling that London Welsh may well upset a few of the other sides. They are not going to win the league, and they are most likely to get relegated (providing the team to be promoted meets the required criteria), but I think that if people start looking at them as an easy 5pt win then they may get shown up themselves.

I really want to see big Joe Ajuwa putting some of the established wingers in the Jeff on their rumps. Gutted that Alesana has left Tigers, as that collision is one I would have loved to have seen.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu 05 Jul 2012, 10:58 am

ScarletSpiderman wrote:I have a feeling that London Welsh may well upset a few of the other sides. They are not going to win the league, and they are most likely to get relegated (providing the team to be promoted meets the required criteria)

now wouldn't that be furious censored steam boxing picard

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 05 Jul 2012, 11:11 am

Part of me really hopes that Henson signs and plays for LW at 10 when LW meet Sale with Cipriani at 10. Who flake their team out of a victory first?

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 05 Jul 2012, 11:14 am

formerly known as Sam wrote:Part of me really hopes that Henson signs and plays for LW at 10 when LW meet Sale with Cipriani at 10. Who flake their team out of a victory first?

I think if Henson does sign for LW, then he will be a different Henson to the one we have seen of late (well in Saries and Toulon). Lyn Jones is the only coach to get him playing well, and in fairness even at the Blues Henson never let them down on the feild, it was an off feild incident, and Lyn Jones has come out and said he would have handled it different to how it was dealt with.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Quarrybends Thu 05 Jul 2012, 11:21 am

ScarletSpiderman wrote:I have a feeling that London Welsh may well upset a few of the other sides. They are not going to win the league, and they are most likely to get relegated (providing the team to be promoted meets the required criteria), but I think that if people start looking at them as an easy 5pt win then they may get shown up themselves.

I really want to see big Joe Ajuwa putting some of the established wingers in the Jeff on their rumps. Gutted that Alesana has left Tigers, as that collision is one I would have loved to have seen.

Oxford Welsh obviously arent going to roll over, nobody is suggesting that they will. They may even as you say, get a few wins, but in the main, they will get thumped and you don't need to be clairvoyant to know it. Although 5 points arent certain, the majority of teams will know that anything less when playing Oxford Welsh, will be a disappointing result.

Quarrybends

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 05 Jul 2012, 11:29 am

Quarrybends wrote:
ScarletSpiderman wrote:I have a feeling that London Welsh may well upset a few of the other sides. They are not going to win the league, and they are most likely to get relegated (providing the team to be promoted meets the required criteria), but I think that if people start looking at them as an easy 5pt win then they may get shown up themselves.

Oxford Welsh obviously arent going to roll over, nobody is suggesting that they will. They may even as you say, get a few wins, but in the main, they will get thumped and you don't need to be clairvoyant to know it. Although 5 points arent certain, the majority of teams will know that anything less when playing Oxford Welsh, will be a disappointing result.

Didn't people say the same about Exeter (except more polite as people didn't hate Exeter)
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Quarrybends Thu 05 Jul 2012, 11:51 am

Exeter were an unknown when they came up. We were proved wrong.

However, Exeter are a very different proposition to Oxford Welsh, as has been comprehensively discussed (and no doubt taken into consideration) on here.

Last edited by Quarrybends on Thu 05 Jul 2012, 11:54 am; edited 2 times in total

Quarrybends

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Thu 05 Jul 2012, 11:52 am

My problem was that I didn't know Exeter when they came up. And, I presume, a number of other people were in the same boat. In hindisght, its very clear Exeter had been building for quite some time and already had a strong base and good plan developed. Not sure if Oxford are in the same position.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Dubbelyew L Overate Thu 05 Jul 2012, 11:53 am

ScarletSpiderman wrote:
Quarrybends wrote:

Didn't people say the same about Exeter (except more polite as people didn't hate Exeter)

Yes, they did, including myself and I'm a Chief . Comparing Exe and Welsh at the same stage, I'd say that Welsh have the better backs, but Exe forwards were better. (6 of 8 are still first choice and the other 2 are strong bench players). "Forwards win games, the backs decide the margin" - that's where I see Welsh struggling, but I hope to be proved wrong.

Dubbelyew L Overate

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 05 Jul 2012, 11:59 am

Dubbelyew - I saw Exeter play the Scarlets in a pre-season friendly just before you started in the Jeff, and remember thinking that they were a good outfit and would upset a few. I don't think LW are of the same standard, however there seems to be a bit of over-confidence just because they are new boys in the league.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Quarrybends Thu 05 Jul 2012, 12:04 pm

Exeter broke the mold.

In the main, teams promoted from the championship struggle with the increase in intensity and physicality of the Premier League.

London Welsh do not appear to posess many of the attributes that saw Exeter compete well and they're less prepared than they should be.

Quarrybends

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 05 Jul 2012, 12:28 pm

Didn't people say the same about Exeter

I think many people were very wary of Exeter. They had this massive team spirit and when they won the Championship it was such a massive team effort that, although, most imagined they'd go back down they were thought of as an old fashioned Newcastle side. Easy home win but an absolute sod of an away game. Exeter proved they could mix it with anybody though and built on the initial survival very well. I think the support at Sandy Park was a big part of their success though and LW don't have similar.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Fri 06 Jul 2012, 8:53 am

I voted for all the teams

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by Effervescing Elephant Fri 06 Jul 2012, 11:08 am

I must admit i also voted for every team. I'm not proud of myself but that's where i am!
Effervescing Elephant
Effervescing Elephant

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Fri 06 Jul 2012, 12:07 pm

That's not fair Carpe and Gowales!!

They might manage to put up a fight at home to Worcester! Maybe...

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 07 Jul 2012, 9:34 am

I think the biggest difference between Exeter and LW is the fact that Exeter played games at home after promotion where as LW have been forced to move from their great club to Oxford.

There has always been a loyal support at LW, let's hope they don't mind a bit of travel to watch their team.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Sat 07 Jul 2012, 10:40 am

What are the chances of Gav failing to turn up for training because he gets distracted by his Masters research at the Bodleian?
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sat 07 Jul 2012, 1:31 pm

Well they could just ride roughshod and break all the rules like Oxford Welsh have done....

Anyway when they go down both ourselves, Bristol, Leeds and maybe even Pirates will be fine...

Love how all the welsh fans are suddenly interested the "rubbish" English Premier League... Wink

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sat 07 Jul 2012, 3:00 pm

It's a shame Welsh and Falcons will probably only ever meet as they pass each other in the leagues.

I'd quite like to see a game between the two...

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Bushys Sat 07 Jul 2012, 4:28 pm

London Welsh are going to get tonked on the opening day. The Kassam Stadium is practically a home fixture for Tigers, who could probaly fill those cow sheds with away supporters on their own.

Somebody was having a sick joke when they arranged this fixture.

Bushys

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 07 Jul 2012, 7:57 pm

I agree Bushys.
Can't imagine it is just an accident Oxford Welsh play Tigers their first day. Big time spanking is in the cards.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by sugarNspikes Sat 07 Jul 2012, 8:26 pm

I'm sure 'London' Welsh will try and get any and all spankings annulled by their lawyers.

sugarNspikes

Back to top Go down

Post by PJHolybloke Sat 07 Jul 2012, 10:06 pm

Portnoy wrote:What are the chances of Gav failing to turn up for training because he gets distracted by his Masters research at the Bodleian?

That made me spit out some of my vodka, you owe me 50p. Go back to complaining with immediate effect or start any amusing posts with a warning warning .

PJHolybloke
PJHolybloke

Back to top Go down

Post by tooboredtowork Sat 07 Jul 2012, 11:58 pm

Contrary to popular opinion there is not a divide between the championship and the premiership!

The divide comes at about 9th place in the prem.

This season Newcastle, Wasps, Worcester, Irish, Bath would have all had tough times against any of the top 4 in the championship.

Underestimate them at your peril. They will prove strong opposition to Worcester, Irish and whichever established team decides to have a surprisingly poor season (there is always one).

Worcester are my team. I am hoping for good things with our new coaching set-up; but I cannot help thinking that somebody, somewhere sees our last game of the season with Welsh as a relegation decider. Fingers crossed I am wrong.

tooboredtowork

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Sun 08 Jul 2012, 8:45 am

Ironically the promotion of London Welsh has almost certainly cemented the Premiership survival of all the current sides in that league.

All the financial directors must have been delighted that such a relatively weak ( sorry LW fans) team won the court case.
I suspect the support given to LW had a lot less to do with altruism and more with financial security for many of the clubs.

I hope they take a few scalps but not Wasps.

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 08 Jul 2012, 9:08 am

BigTrevsbigmac wrote:Ironically the promotion of London Welsh has almost certainly cemented the Premiership survival of all the current sides in that league.

All the financial directors must have been delighted that such a relatively weak ( sorry LW fans) team won the court case.
I suspect the support given to LW had a lot less to do with altruism and more with financial security for many of the clubs.

I hope they take a few scalps but not Wasps.

The English clubs are dying to ring fence the AP

This is one of the few ways they can.

Why the RFU doesn't just make the clubs franchises like the rest of the world I don't know.

The clubs only cause England problems..

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by sugarNspikes Sun 08 Jul 2012, 11:41 am

maestegmafia wrote:Why the RFU doesn't just make the clubs franchises like the rest of the world I don't know.

The clubs only cause England problems..
Yeah, stuff the fans who have been paying to watch their clubs for years Rolling Eyes It's not all about international rugby you know.

sugarNspikes

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Sun 08 Jul 2012, 11:49 am

Precisely S'n'S.

Just how does maesteg propose to create franchises? Come on maes, put your David Lloyd George hat on,

Anyway, I thought he gad a deep interest in matters concerning Jeff promotion.
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sun 08 Jul 2012, 12:01 pm

There are around 1800 clubs in England (or at least in the RFU's remit). Around 12-14 of these want ring-fencing (and all of them ONLY if they're the right side of fence). So that would be less than 1% of English clubs want ring fencing.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Sun 08 Jul 2012, 3:04 pm

tooboredtowork wrote:Contrary to popular opinion there is not a divide between the championship and the premiership!

The divide comes at about 9th place in the prem.

This season Newcastle, Wasps, Worcester, Irish, Bath would have all had tough times against any of the top 4 in the championship.

Underestimate them at your peril. They will prove strong opposition to Worcester, Irish and whichever established team decides to have a surprisingly poor season (there is always one).

Worcester are my team. I am hoping for good things with our new coaching set-up; but I cannot help thinking that somebody, somewhere sees our last game of the season with Welsh as a relegation decider. Fingers crossed I am wrong.

The main difference is Worcester and Exeter both have solid packs.

London Welsh's however is considerably underwhelming, especially for the premiership.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by sirtidychris Sun 08 Jul 2012, 3:22 pm

they came 4th in the championship and were closer on points to 7th place than first, they will get spanked week in and week out. Poor old bristol are going to have to wait another 2 years to get a shot at coming up..Newcastle are going to thrive next year

sirtidychris

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sun 08 Jul 2012, 3:56 pm

sirtidychris wrote:they came 4th in the championship and were closer on points to 7th place than first, they will get spanked week in and week out. Poor old bristol are going to have to wait another 2 years to get a shot at coming up..Newcastle are going to thrive next year

Yahoo

The sad thing is that this whole episode hasnt done LW any good in the populairty stakes and where the likes of Exeter might have been a neutrals favorite as the underdog etc...LW might be on the end of negativity,,,,

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 08 Jul 2012, 3:59 pm

Portnoy wrote:
Just how does maesteg propose to create franchises? Come on maes, put your David Lloyd George hat on,

Anyway, I thought he gad a deep interest in matters concerning Jeff promotion.

I don't have any proposals, but limiting the opportunity for small clubs to compete against the wealthy seems to be order of the day.

How many different teams have won the Premiership

Tigers must have won more than half the titles in the last 20 years, occasionally beaten in the final by another of the almost as wealthy clubs.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next