The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Advice to Federer & Murray fans

+12
carrieg4
The Special Juan
Josiah Maiestas
barrystar
CAS
Danny_1982
User 774433
invisiblecoolers
banbrotam
laverfan
CaledonianCraig
bogbrush
16 posters

Go down

Advice to Federer & Murray fans Empty Advice to Federer & Murray fans

Post by bogbrush Fri 06 Jul 2012, 8:03 pm

Forget the final for tonight, enjoy what they each achieved and have a great night.

Plenty of time to sweat over the final in the next two days.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Advice to Federer & Murray fans Empty Re: Advice to Federer & Murray fans

Post by CaledonianCraig Fri 06 Jul 2012, 8:04 pm

I'll second that. It has been an emotionally draining day. Hug
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Fri 06 Jul 2012, 8:06 pm

rose BB and CC. (Rhymes). Wink

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Fri 06 Jul 2012, 8:25 pm

I agree BB and I'm just off to have Mrs Banbrotam's excellent home made pizza with a nice glass of wine drumroll

May the best man win. I'm quite cool about it as I ddn't think Andy was playing well enough to get past the quarters and I wouldn't mind Fed winning another Slam so Nadal has less chance of catching him

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 06 Jul 2012, 9:00 pm

I second that.

I am not even going to pick up my weekend paper because of the headlines and romanticism.

I admit that when the match ended I actually shed a few tears because of the wait for such an occasion. May sound extreme, but it is a historic moment.

It still hasn't sunk in with me as to what he has just achieved.

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Fri 06 Jul 2012, 9:24 pm

Exactly BB , CC, Banbro and LK Hug

I enjoyed the day and so happy to see both these guys win, both match were fantastic and was decided by the winners more than unforced errors say how well they played.

I leave the finals for the moment, may the best man win, I wish to see Andy win a slam at the same time I want Roger to win his well deserved Wimbledon.

I like both these guys and none of them gonna lose till Sunday, so the Sunday can wait. Very Happy

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Fri 06 Jul 2012, 9:28 pm

A heads up for travellers.

British Airways have announced due to an unexpected cancellation, they have a spare seat to Scotland this weekend.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Fri 06 Jul 2012, 9:28 pm

Very Happy

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Fri 06 Jul 2012, 9:29 pm

Murray has made me feel like hanging a union jack on my window... I won't do it, but wow has he done his country proud today.

I hope he does himself justice on Sunday, and I'm sure he will. But for tonight I just hope he realises what a huge achievement today was for him, something no British man has achieved in 3 quarters of a century.

Here's hoping he plays without inhibition on Sunday, and win or lose I'll be proud of what he has done for British sport.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Fri 06 Jul 2012, 9:36 pm

Danny_1982 wrote:Murray has made me feel like hanging a union jack on my window... I won't do it, but wow has he done his country proud today.

I hope he does himself justice on Sunday, and I'm sure he will. But for tonight I just hope he realises what a huge achievement today was for him, something no British man has achieved in 3 quarters of a century.

Here's hoping he plays without inhibition on Sunday, and win or lose I'll be proud of what he has done for British sport.
thumbsup

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by CAS Fri 06 Jul 2012, 9:56 pm

i am a big fan of both, not sure whether to look at it as win win or lose lose, would be amazing for Federer to get to number 1 and edge further from Nadal and break Sampras record at Number 1, but watching Andy losing another slam final will be hard to watch as well.

CAS

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Sat 07 Jul 2012, 10:56 am

CAS wrote:i am a big fan of both, not sure whether to look at it as win win or lose lose, would be amazing for Federer to get to number 1 and edge further from Nadal and break Sampras record at Number 1, but watching Andy losing another slam final will be hard to watch as well.

Me too, my pleasure for either of them in the event of him winning will be quite evenly matched with disappointment for the loser.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sat 07 Jul 2012, 11:02 am

Tim Henman would've made the final if he had Murrays draw this year, you don't get respect for beating players you should be, you get it for beating the best.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sat 07 Jul 2012, 11:12 am

I hope Murray wins at least a set this time!! I think he can do it, I really do (probably just blind optimism). It'll be a good final, at least I can't be too upset if The Fed wins.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Sat 07 Jul 2012, 11:32 am

Of course he can do it. If this was a masters final then people would probably be saying its 50-50. Problem is that Murray has not performed in slam finals, which is why he hired Lendl.

If Murray is uninhibited we could be in for a belter of a match. If he is crippled by nerves, expectation and negativity then it will be a walk in the park for Federer. How good a contest it is depends on Murray. I'm hopeful that he can step forward and put himself in a position where he plays well enough to have a chance.

This has been a tournament with a lot of surprises, and it's not unthinkable that there will be another one tomorrow.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sat 07 Jul 2012, 11:50 am

Danny the weight of expetation and pressure has been on his shoulders since Nadal exited in the Second Round when he has been the favourite to win each match and he has carried that pressure and pulled off wins without having any five set epics so has been fairly comfortable. Now he is not favourite in the final so if anything the pressure is lifted a little more as the achievement of reaching the final is massive as it is. Now can Andy takes that one last step. Talent-wise definitely - his approach to the match will be key.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sat 07 Jul 2012, 11:57 am

Whatever happens, no one can say Murray has bottled it (unless he throws away a 2 set and a break lead in the final) for the reason CC has said above. "Bottling it" would have been losing before the final (after Nadal went out) to players that aren't as good as him (at least on grass). He has been favourite in every match and that pressure may have weighed him down a year or 2 ago but not anymore.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Sat 07 Jul 2012, 12:19 pm

Craig - very true. Everyone's expectation is that Federer will win. Murray alluded to that himself in the press conference after the match. That gives Murray a chance to express himself and go for it. The sense of relief that was written all over his face yesterday should help, ending the 74 year wait.

I really can't wait. I just want him to play well. If its enough then great, if it's not then fair enough as he's playing the best player of all time. Part of me feels it might be destined that Murray wins it.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sat 07 Jul 2012, 12:26 pm

Danny_1982 wrote:

I really can't wait. I just want him to play well. If its enough then great, if it's not then fair enough as he's playing the best player of all time. Part of me feels it might be destined that Murray wins it.

I can't argue with any of that. Anything other than another straight sets defeat and it gives hope that he is getting there. If he loses playing aggressively I will have no complaints.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sat 07 Jul 2012, 12:27 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:Danny the weight of expetation and pressure has been on his shoulders since Nadal exited in the Second Round when he has been the favourite to win each match and he has carried that pressure and pulled off wins without having any five set epics so has been fairly comfortable. Now he is not favourite in the final so if anything the pressure is lifted a little more as the achievement of reaching the final is massive as it is. Now can Andy takes that one last step. Talent-wise definitely - his approach to the match will be key.
He wasn't comfortable against Ferrer, who choked a service game for a two set lead. Murray was also in a highly emotional state, screaming after every point near the end.

He won, on merit, but wasn't comfortable.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Sat 07 Jul 2012, 12:44 pm

BB - I would agree that Ferrer wasn't a comfortable match. I still think it was a good performance though. Ferrer is quite a tough match up for Murray, he returns well and moves great and I don't think Murray has ever had a comfortable match against him.

He does everything a little better than him though, so usually comes through... Apart from clay of course where Ferrer moves like a dream and Murray moves like a cow. Slight exaggeration of course.

I do think we'll see a more relaxed Murray tomorrow than we did in his last 2 matches. He was expected to win those matches, most people don't expect him to win this one.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sat 07 Jul 2012, 12:47 pm

Sure, I wasn't knocking him at all.

Yes, I think he has a very good chance tomorrow. If its dry and windy I make him favourite.

bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sat 07 Jul 2012, 12:53 pm

bogbrush wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:Danny the weight of expetation and pressure has been on his shoulders since Nadal exited in the Second Round when he has been the favourite to win each match and he has carried that pressure and pulled off wins without having any five set epics so has been fairly comfortable. Now he is not favourite in the final so if anything the pressure is lifted a little more as the achievement of reaching the final is massive as it is. Now can Andy takes that one last step. Talent-wise definitely - his approach to the match will be key.
He wasn't comfortable against Ferrer, who choked a service game for a two set lead. Murray was also in a highly emotional state, screaming after every point near the end.

He won, on merit, but wasn't comfortable.

Maybe comfortable was the wrong word but it certainly was devoid of stresses of a five set nailbiter. Better?
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Sat 07 Jul 2012, 12:55 pm

Danny_1982 wrote:Apart from clay of course where Ferrer moves like a dream and Murray moves like a cow.

Laugh Laugh

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Sat 07 Jul 2012, 1:11 pm

bogbrush wrote:Sure, I wasn't knocking him at all.

Yes, I think he has a very good chance tomorrow. If its dry and windy I make him favourite.

Favourite BB? Really?

Interesting. You're the first person I've heard say that.

Why do you think that?

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Sat 07 Jul 2012, 1:19 pm

Danny_1982 wrote:
bogbrush wrote:Sure, I wasn't knocking him at all.

Favourite BB? Really?

Interesting. You're the first person I've heard say that.

Why do you think that?

BB I'm sure will answer, but my take on it is....

Playing 'indoors', i.e. with the roof on, then Federer is unplayable (i.e. see the O2 results of the past two years). Also Fed is the best very fast court player (see Dubai this year or Paris Masters). Murray is arguably the second best, i.e. even better than Nole - but is still behind Fed, i.e. he beat Nole at Dubai, but lost to Roger

However, take the roof off and Wimbledon becomes 'just' a fast court, which kind of narrows the gap. Add on the wind and that's likey to affect the serve. Well as Fed's serve tends to be unplayable when on song, understandably this can go more awry plus he goes for his shots more (i.e. the lines) he's likekly to be more affected

All thoeretical of course!! If it's the Murray of Australia 2010, Fed wins no matter what. If it's the Fed of the last two Masters finals they've played (far more unlikely) then Murray wins

We'll see

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sat 07 Jul 2012, 1:27 pm

To be precise, Federer plays very close to the bounce, Murray does not. Therefore Federer is vulnerable to conditions that make the ball movement unpredictable.

That's a huge effect.

Just looking at the forecast, it is for rain to be around - whether showers or what I don't know. I imagine Federer would welcome the roof on as that kills the wind for good, and there's less chance of his back issue flaring up. No doubt the wether will vary upto the date. The morning forecast should be accurate.

Last edited by bogbrush on Sat 07 Jul 2012, 1:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Sat 07 Jul 2012, 1:28 pm

Banbo - yeah I don't think anyone would argue that Federer is better on a fast indoor court. I also agree that Murray is the second best in those conditions.

I also agree that Murray has more if a chance with the roof open, but I'm still surprised to the the word 'favourite' associated to Murray in this match, no matter what happens. I was interested in why BB thought that.

If it does end up being played indoors, despite Federer being awesome in those conditions, one thing gives me hope... Murray's serving stats have been good all tournament, both first and second. But under the roof his serve stats have gone through the roof (so to speak)

If it is played indoors, he'll need to serve unbelievably well to stay with Fed, and it gives me hope that he has managed to do that already b

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sat 07 Jul 2012, 1:32 pm

True, they both like indoors.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by reckoner Sat 07 Jul 2012, 1:48 pm

I'm still celebrating TMF getting through to the final!

I'm taking heart from Fed's attitude this yr's WImby - he seems to be taking it one match at a time and doesn't seem to be putting to much pressure on himself. Hoping for a classic tomorrow - their games match up to produce very interesting tennis and it should be a very close, tactical match.

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Sat 07 Jul 2012, 1:59 pm

bogbrush. Is there a final tomorrow? I thought the final was yesterday!

Just kidding... Federer should win tomorrow unless something odd happens. The crowd could be a factor. The ugliest thing I have ever seen on a tennis court was the crowd at Wimbledon in Murray's match against Gasquet a few years ago. The crowd was brutal and they destroyed Gasquet. They would have destroyed most players. It was horrible to witness and I had to stop watching. If Murray had played Djokovic I would have been a little scared for Djokovic for this reason. But they wouldn't do that to Federer. Would they?

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by reckoner Sat 07 Jul 2012, 2:04 pm

Nah they wouldn't! thumbsup

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 07 Jul 2012, 2:06 pm

The crowd won't matter an iota to Fed.

He expects them to be pro Murray and he's also very secure in his fan base.

Remember, he played Agassi twice in NY, and the crowds there are are moronically patriotic.

It didn't matter in the end.

I think this match is on Roger's raquet. If he comes out in TMF mode, then on grass, he will dictate and set the tempo. Murray will be doing a lot of running and retrieving. If however Roger is mis-timing and shanking then it gets very close.

The problem with Fed these days is that you can never be sure which version will turn up.

However, this is a slam final and Roger usually brings it on the biggest stages. Only two players have ever beaten him in a slam final.

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sat 07 Jul 2012, 2:07 pm

No, unlike everyone else Federer is treated like a home player all over the World.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Sat 07 Jul 2012, 2:40 pm

Yeah they will favour Murray, but not by much just because it's Federer.

60-40 in Murrays favour I reckon.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by break_in_the_fifth Sat 07 Jul 2012, 3:39 pm

hawkeye wrote:Just kidding... Federer should win tomorrow unless something odd happens. The crowd could be a factor. The ugliest thing I have ever seen on a tennis court was the crowd at Wimbledon in Murray's match against Gasquet a few years ago. The crowd was brutal and they destroyed Gasquet. They would have destroyed most players. It was horrible to witness and I had to stop watching. If Murray had played Djokovic I would have been a little scared for Djokovic for this reason. But they wouldn't do that to Federer. Would they?

Totally agree with the crowd part, I remember being pretty disgusted when it happened and then all the media BS that followed it until Rafa ended it. It took me until the following Australian open to warm to Murray again after that. I don't think anything like that will happen tommorow and if it does then well I like to believe Fed is made of sterner stuff.

break_in_the_fifth

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Sat 07 Jul 2012, 4:25 pm

break_in_the_fifth wrote:
hawkeye wrote:Just kidding... Federer should win tomorrow unless something odd happens. The crowd could be a factor. The ugliest thing I have ever seen on a tennis court was the crowd at Wimbledon in Murray's match against Gasquet a few years ago. The crowd was brutal and they destroyed Gasquet. They would have destroyed most players. It was horrible to witness and I had to stop watching. If Murray had played Djokovic I would have been a little scared for Djokovic for this reason. But they wouldn't do that to Federer. Would they?

Totally agree with the crowd part, I remember being pretty disgusted when it happened and then all the media BS that followed it until Rafa ended it. It took me until the following Australian open to warm to Murray again after that. I don't think anything like that will happen tommorow and if it does then well I like to believe Fed is made of sterner stuff.

Not the crowds finest hour but they are not alone, the RG crowd aren't exactly leading by example......This has nothing to do with the players.

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by Calder106 Sat 07 Jul 2012, 5:27 pm

Yes the crowd for the Gasquet/Murray match at the FO was pretty bad as well this year. However rather than fold like Gasquet did Murray just smiled and got on with winning the match.

Calder106

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Sat 07 Jul 2012, 5:50 pm

Calder106 wrote:Yes the crowd for the Gasquet/Murray match at the FO was pretty bad as well this year. However rather than fold like Gasquet did Murray just smiled and got on with winning the match.

My point precisely - the crowd is not a negative issue for the top players!

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Sat 07 Jul 2012, 9:51 pm

break_in_the_fifth wrote:Totally agree with the crowd part, I remember being pretty disgusted when it happened and then all the media BS that followed it until Rafa ended it. It took me until the following Australian open to warm to Murray again after that. .

Could you explain why a partisan crowd that has nothing to do with Murray would put you in a situation where you had to "warm" to him again

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down