The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Do you remember your first fight???

+12
oneorthree
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
TheMackemMawler
horizontalhero
DaveVDK
The Boss
two_tone
milkyboy
seanmichaels
tommyhearnsprodigalson
alanqlm
TRUSSMAN66
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Do you remember your first fight??? Empty Do you remember your first fight???

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 09 Jul 2012, 12:18 pm

I do.......Excited for days that I was going to fight like Larry Holmes and lt was going to be like a rocky film!!!

All the training...the adrenalin rush...the dreams and nightmares of what my opponent looked like how bad or good he was!!

And then on to fightnight......nearly sick with dread.....wishing I was anywhere else...forgetting everything I'd learned in the gym....At the end of the first round It felt like I'd been 15!!!!

I won!! don't know how!! But the first one like Women....You always remember!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Do you remember your first fight??? Empty Re: Do you remember your first fight???

Post by Guest Mon 09 Jul 2012, 12:23 pm

Looks like you'll be next for Tyson Fury!!!!!!

Never fought...sparred when I was in my early teens, didn't like getting hit in the face (or anyway else) then THANKFULLY I had to wear my specs full time so I had a ready made excuse not to do it again.

Just had laser surgery (I highly recommend it to you speccy types) but do not feel the compulsion to step into the ring. I'm 41 this week and I intend to keep what few good looks and brain cells I have left

Back to top Go down

Do you remember your first fight??? Empty Re: Do you remember your first fight???

Post by alanqlm Mon 09 Jul 2012, 12:26 pm

Never had a fight but even my 1st time going to a boxing gym was memorable, didnt know what to expect.... Walked in thinking I was quite fit from being one of the fittest players in my league (football).... Quickly found out boxing is a whole other level. Half way through the session I was near being sick while slightly podgy looking fellas were blasting on.

Due to other commitments and damaging my wrist playing football could never give it the dedication I would of liked to, would loved to have had at least 1 fight but even from a few months in the gym the buzz was amazing.

alanqlm

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 09 Jul 2012, 12:26 pm

Wouldn't of minded a fight with you....

You certainly wouldn't have been late with the tea again!!! Cool

As for your loks and wouldn't worry the lad from hearsay is still a heart throb apparently!! notworthy

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 09 Jul 2012, 12:29 pm

You're right Alan.....Amazing how these guys find the energy to go 12 rounds...

Remember watching Tubbs and witherspoon and thinking how are they going 15 with those tyres round their bellies at a decent pace!!

Fighters are fit beasts for sure..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by tommyhearnsprodigalson Mon 09 Jul 2012, 12:33 pm

I haven't fought yet.....i've sparred quite a few times now though, unfortunately i've got a glass midrift, any punches there and thats me done Crying or Very sad

I'ts funny how we perceive ourselves when we're in the ring though, in my mind i've got the footwork of Ali, the jab of Hearns, the left hook of Tua, uppercut of Lewis, the agressing of Tyson and the stright right of Foreman but in reality you could probably send a carrier pidgeon quicker than some of my punches land but saying that i absolutely love it Very Happy

tommyhearnsprodigalson

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 09 Jul 2012, 12:34 pm

My height and reach advantage would have you reeling, son. My speed and reflexes, whilst not what they were, have been bolstered by my inate desire for self presevation.

Also the added joy of seeing you put on your massive rear end would be enough incentive see a victory for me! Yahoo

Count your blessings, TRUSS. and stick to writing those cracking weightlifting articles Whistle

https://www.606v2.com/t23225-which-bodypart-would-you-like-to-standout

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 09 Jul 2012, 12:36 pm

I was Ali and robinson rolled into one when I was shadow Boxing!!!

Problem was I only won by a split decision when I was on the heavy bag!!! Wink

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 09 Jul 2012, 12:41 pm

I lost by 12 rounds...in a four round fight!

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Mon 09 Jul 2012, 12:42 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:

Never had a fight but remember my first woman. Bit of a unit she was.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 09 Jul 2012, 1:01 pm

Your first woman sounds like a fight in itself...

Always remember when Coach would tell us to pull our punches and then you'd get caught with something you thought wasn't pulled and then all hell would break loose...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Mon 09 Jul 2012, 2:01 pm

seanmichaels wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:

Never had a fight but remember my first woman. Bit of a unit she was.

...so no fights, but you've done some work on a heavy bag

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by two_tone Mon 09 Jul 2012, 2:25 pm

Punching above his weight by the sounds of it. Tumbleweed

two_tone

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 09 Jul 2012, 2:26 pm

Nothing wrong with Big bertha types!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 09 Jul 2012, 2:48 pm

As Henry Cooper was fond of saying, "I'd wake up in the morning and punch the old bag for an hour...then she'd get up and make breakfast!"

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 09 Jul 2012, 3:03 pm

She'd get up and make breakfast!!!

Lucky Henry!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 09 Jul 2012, 3:14 pm

Doesn't say much for his punching power...unless we've all been misled about what 'enry's 'ammer really was!

Back to top Go down

Post by The Boss Mon 09 Jul 2012, 5:38 pm

Last year. Never had nerves like it before in my life. Asdrenaline pumping through my body. After the 1st round my legs were like lead. Nose bust badly and it never stopped for an hour after the fight. Lost a split decision and haven't had another fight.

The Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 09 Jul 2012, 5:48 pm

Great post.....

It never turns out how you envisage it.....

All those romantic notions soon go out the window..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by The Boss Mon 09 Jul 2012, 5:50 pm

Oh no Truss I was brilliant. Just my opponent had the judges flew in at the expense of our good friend Sven Ottke.

The Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 09 Jul 2012, 5:55 pm

At least you had the guts to get in there......

Nothing can prepare you for the first one...

A minute lasts an hour....

So my Wife tells me anyway!!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by The Boss Mon 09 Jul 2012, 5:57 pm

Its the other way around for me. An hour lasts a minute! Haha aye right!

Nah I definitely wanna get back in training and start taking it a bit more seriously. The buzz is unreal!

The Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 09 Jul 2012, 5:59 pm

Apart from a dig in the slats you weren't expecting (oxygen depletion!!)...A smashed nose is probably the worst thing that can happen...

bet you were fighting three of them after that weren't you Mate...

Makes my eyes water thinking about it!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by The Boss Mon 09 Jul 2012, 6:04 pm

Well it felt like that when I was getting hit. He was so quick! The funny thing about the fight was after, one of my mates said , "I could see your eyes watering every time you got hit with a body shot." But my memory of the fight is tha I honestly couldn't have cared less about the body shots. I just wanted my nose left alone haha.

The pints after the fight fairly helped. To numb the pain and the female attention can't be understimated.

The Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveVDK Mon 09 Jul 2012, 6:24 pm

I can remember it quite aswell as it was only about 6 months ago haha, found myself on the recieving end of a majority desiscion, gave a good account of myself and many thought I won, still kicking myself now for not training harder though

DaveVDK

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 09 Jul 2012, 6:34 pm

Remember my last fight unfortunately too......

I was thinking of taking him to Court for assault!!! Cool

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by horizontalhero Mon 09 Jul 2012, 10:25 pm

The thing it most remember was putting on eigth ounce gloves for the first time and feeling how thin the padding was. Can't rememmber the figth too well except for getting caught with a hook that made me see stars for few seconds. Lost a majority decision.

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Tue 10 Jul 2012, 12:11 am

My Dad made me go to the gym when I was 11 because I got knacked at 'big school'. My first fight was 20 years ago... I was a slightly overweight 12yo (I was 8st 4lb and still remember the ginger kids name i fought that night at Farringdon Social Club). I crapped myself walking to the ring and didn't really know what to do when the compare read my name out, but as soon as the bell went I was fine. So much so, I stopped the lad in the second (we did 1 and half minute rounds back then but it was still knackering). All I threw was a ridiculous 1-2, 1-2, combo' over and over and over again... it was the only two punches i knew how to throw. Arghh I was a canny kid, I miss him...
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Tue 10 Jul 2012, 12:26 am

I stopped boxing in my mid-twenties but the nerves never left me, I'd always be caking it walking to the ring! HAHA!. It had nothing to do with the opponent i was facing Though. Instead, it was a fear of defeat in front of the crowd and the embarrasment of losing which worried me.
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Tue 10 Jul 2012, 12:33 am

I was buzzing before my first fight, I wasn't nervous at all but wanted to get at the guy. The guy opposite me was a bean pole, a good 5 inches taller than me with long arms. Minute it started i went for him (I would call myself an inside fighter), he looked confuse sand got caught on the ropes really easily and put I the earmuffs and I worked the body and caught him with a great left hook which staggered him. The adrenaline got to me and I tried to push him too the ropes and walked straight into an uppercut which split my lip. I was really proud of my style untill the last round when my entire body felt like lead and got hit by a horrible right under the elbow with a couple of seconds left which almost put me down but i held on for dear life. I won but felt awful the next morning

I don't box properly anymore but spar mates down the gym when i can

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 10 Jul 2012, 10:15 am

You should write for The ring with a commentary like that!!!!

Forgot to mention the compulsory head ache the next day!!!

Glad I took up bodybuilding!! Cool

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by oneorthree Tue 10 Jul 2012, 10:18 am

i was 18. id sparred 100s of times and thought id be fine - i wasnt!!
I was a big 18 year old (about 200-205lbs)
Fought a guys who was about 25 similar hieght and wieght. 3x2's
First round just kept throwing the jab (missing mostly) as i was cacking myself and the adrenaline was pumping.. 2nd round (felt like id already gone 10) i opened up a bit and landed a few good hooks - took a big right the bloodied my nose near the end of the round.
3rd round (i was totally ruined by this point) we both seemed to swing wildly and neglegt defence but i was lucky and landed a couple of left hooks which staggered the other guy and the ref (VERY PREMATURLEY) stopped the fight in my favour.
Felt like id won a world title - especially as a few of my fmaily and my firends had come to watch.
Still have the VHS video somewhere at home....
I went on to compile a very mediocre 15-6 amatuer record and fought some decent guys but i dont remember any fight quite as well as my first one....
Looking back it must have been a lot like a playground fight (windmilling) to watch but after when i had won i was convinced i was the 2nd coming of Mike Tyson!!
got pasted in my next fight, lost something like 18-2...... brought me crashing back down to earth!!

oneorthree

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Tue 10 Jul 2012, 10:28 am

I haven't fought but have had a few decent sparring sessions. The adrenaline and nerves are even present for that.

Getting hit on the nose is horrible, agreed, though it is definitely true that you feel much less pain when the adrenaline is flowing.

I found that I wasn't too bad offensively, but my defence is pretty ordinary when somebody puts the pressure on me and starts throwing punches in bunches. It is all I can do to just cover up and try and move away - you'll see no slick slipping and countering from me. I have a pretty good reach for my height, so tend to try and dominate with the jab, using quick raiding tactics before stepping back out of range.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 10 Jul 2012, 10:29 am

Good contribution Mate.......Haven't seen a Roy Jones jr type on here yet!!!

think we were all Peter Buckley's in the making...though 15-6 isn't that bad..

Notice how none of the mods seem to have laced them up.....

We are being moderated by girly-boys!!!! Cool

I smell a 606 revolution in the making!!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 10 Jul 2012, 10:31 am

Good one Fisty......Yes it's easy to forget about defence.....

Offence is definitely a lot more fun!!! Laugh

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Tue 10 Jul 2012, 11:17 am

oneorthree wrote:i was 18. id sparred 100s of times and thought id be fine - i wasnt!!
First round just kept throwing the jab (missing mostly) as i was cacking myself and the adrenaline was pumping.. 2nd round (felt like id already gone 10) i opened up a bit and landed a few good hooks - took a big right the bloodied my nose near the end of the round.
3rd round (i was totally ruined by this point) we both seemed to swing wildly and neglegt defence but i was lucky and landed a couple of left hooks which staggered the other guy and the ref (VERY PREMATURLEY) stopped the fight in my favour.
Felt like id won a world title - especially as a few of my fmaily and my firends had come to watch.
I went on to compile a very mediocre 15-6 amatuer record and fought some decent guys but i dont remember any fight quite as well as my first one....
Looking back it must have been a lot like a playground fight (windmilling) to watch but after when i had won i was convinced i was the 2nd coming of Mike Tyson!!
got pasted in my next fight, lost something like 18-2...... brought me crashing back down to earth!!

When i was a boy there was no computer scoring (...or little red button/blue button calculators). It was subjective judging only.

In 2005 up our way the only computer/calculator scoring was ABA championships etc, all other club shows were judged on the 20point sytem (60-57 for instance). It must be posh where you come from and they can afford calculators at club shows? or your second bout was in the regional ABA's?.......OR AM I JUST OUT OF TOUCH, AND ALL CLUB SHOWS ARE COMPUTER SCORING THESE DAYS??
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 10 Jul 2012, 1:14 pm

Showing our ages Mackem....

Still I prefer the old system!!! They wouldn't be able to compute all the lightning fast combinations I landed with the current system!! boxing

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Tue 10 Jul 2012, 1:20 pm

It was about 2 years ago and I was utterly pooing myself getting ready to step in the ring because the guy I was against was supposed to be a big puncher, so I was worried. I'd sparred but it doesn't really prepare you. It was scored 88 - 63 by the end of the 4th round. I landed 22 punches a round. The first round was horrible, I don't think I threw anything that landed.

I just remember coming away from it thinking I didn't want to do it again, but then about 2 weeks later i thought "that wasn't so bad"

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Tue 10 Jul 2012, 2:04 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Showing our ages Mackem....

Still I prefer the old system!!! They wouldn't be able to compute all the lightning fast combinations I landed with the current system!! boxing

Yeah they'd need piano players as judges for me and you mate.
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by oneorthree Tue 10 Jul 2012, 4:35 pm

Mackem,

My first fight was 2005 (im only 25) the fight im reffering too where i got pasted may have been my 2nd-5th fight (bit of a blurr) and i think it was in the novice class ABA regionals.
I boxed out of Cheshunt / Finchley / St Albans and Chesh/Finchley had computer scoring for most fights. St albans only for ABAs

I hate the computer scoring. Never suited me as i was always more of a brawler / hattonesque fighter than a throw a shot cover up amateur type.

Iv fought about 4 times on the unlicensed shows (joey pyle and ricky english ones) and although the quality of opponent isnt always great they are a lot better than the amatuers for people wanting to box

oneorthree

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 10 Jul 2012, 6:17 pm

Don't think Ricky would like you calling him a brawler!!!

Unlicenced shows huh.....pretty lucrative work is it???

Always had an idea that mindless morons with skinheads and three inch thick noses boxed on them.......

Obviously not..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by aja424 Tue 10 Jul 2012, 6:25 pm

Make my "Debut" next month on a White Collar show. Training hard and has given me a sense of purpose with regards to my fitness regime.
Win or lose its a story to tell when proping up the bar as an old man.

aja424

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 10 Jul 2012, 6:32 pm

Let's home your not propping up the ropes.. Cool

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by aja424 Tue 10 Jul 2012, 6:39 pm

Fingers Crossed

aja424

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue 10 Jul 2012, 7:37 pm

TheMackemMawler wrote:
oneorthree wrote:i was 18. id sparred 100s of times and thought id be fine - i wasnt!!

When i was a boy there was no computer scoring (...or little red button/blue button calculators). It was subjective judging only.

In 2005 up our way the only computer/calculator scoring was ABA championships etc, all other club shows were judged on the 20point sytem (60-57 for instance). It must be posh where you come from and they can afford calculators at club shows? or your second bout was in the regional ABA's?.......OR AM I JUST OUT OF TOUCH, AND ALL CLUB SHOWS ARE COMPUTER SCORING THESE DAYS??

to be fair mackem... you've only just got electricity in sunderland Wink

love your 'knacked at school' line... haven't heard that expression for a few years... takes me back to my misspent youth in the north east

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 10 Jul 2012, 9:04 pm

knacked ...... I take it ...that is some form of being beaten up?

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Tue 10 Jul 2012, 9:11 pm

Told you this one before Truss: Venue: The bus stop. Time: After school. Red corner: Wayne Godbold. Blue corner: Sugar Boy Sweetie. One swift kick in the family jewels and a right hand later he's being counted out whilst I'm flashing my bus pass at the driver and legging to the top deck. The glory years. Sugar Boy Sweetie: 1-0-0 (1KO).
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 10 Jul 2012, 9:17 pm

I like your style Sweetie..

Forget the bus stop..should have been on the Roberto Duran - Davey Moore undercard!!!

Did you go around "Flashing your bus pass" a lot??? raspberry

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue 10 Jul 2012, 9:34 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:knacked ...... I take it ...that is some form of being beaten up?

a multi faceted term term truss... amongst others, can mean tired, hurt or bollocked.

some examples might include: i broke my leg and it knacked.... i've failed my exam, me mam'll knack me... fatty johnson nicked my pack lunch, i'm going to knack him.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue 10 Jul 2012, 9:36 pm

Sugar Boy Sweetie wrote:Told you this one before Truss: Venue: The bus stop. Time: After school. Red corner: Wayne Godbold. Blue corner: Sugar Boy Sweetie. One swift kick in the family jewels and a right hand later he's being counted out whilst I'm flashing my bus pass at the driver and legging to the top deck. The glory years. Sugar Boy Sweetie: 1-0-0 (1KO).

was that THE wayne godbold? good name to have on the record

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next